Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gus Bradley's scheme

bluephantom87

His system is OUTDATED for the modern passing game and I hope at seasons end other options are explored at dc. So tired of seeing top tier qbs just sit back and make timely plays against a secondary that routinely uses a SOFT zone. I don't even see stunts ran by the front four to help generate pressure by creating confusion with blocking assignments ESPECIALLY if you CHOSE to rarely blitz.

Gus is not doing this young secondary any favors either! At least let them use their size to reroute receivers instead of giving FREE releases off the line on top of giving 10 yd cushions on a regular. We STILL don't have ELITE d-ends (serviceable yes) but not good enough to pressure on a consistent basis which is fine if you get aggressive with some timely blitzes! Lastly is Cross in Bradley's doghouse or what because he can definitely help on the back end of that secondary.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

His system is OUTDATED for the modern passing game and I hope at seasons end other options are explored at dc. So tired of seeing top tier qbs just sit back and make timely plays against a secondary that routinely uses a SOFT zone. I don't even see stunts ran by the front four to help generate pressure by creating confusion with blocking assignments ESPECIALLY if you CHOSE to rarely blitz.

Gus is not doing this young secondary any favors either! At least let them use their size to reroute receivers instead of giving FREE releases off the line on top of giving 10 yd cushions on a regular. We STILL don't have ELITE d-ends (serviceable yes) but not good enough to pressure on a consistent basis which is fine if you get aggressive with some timely blitzes! Lastly is Cross in Bradley's doghouse or what because he can definitely help on the back end of that secondary.

He is doing the same crap Eberstink is doing lmao 

I don’t know.  This game it was the turnovers that doomed them.  Lawrence didn’t have a great day.  2td and 1 interception.  Not exceptional. Not a lot of passing yards.  We sacked him 3 times.  They were not great on 3rd down conversions.  Minchew threw 55times.  What’s that all about.  Turnovers killed them and poor coaching.  The decision was made to play our young corners and let them develop.  Mistakes are made.  It happens.  If it wasn’t for the turnovers and poor quarterback who knows what the score might have been.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Solid84 said:

I don’t like his scheme and I didn’t like Eberflus’ either. Sadly I think a scheme like this is what we’ll get no matter who we get at DC because of Ballard. 

I don't like it either, to me it looks like the same bullcocky. 3rd and 6 and we give up 6 because we are playing a WR 5 yards off the line to begin with. That makes 0 sense!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t know.  This game it was the turnovers that doomed them.  Lawrence didn’t have a great day.  2td and 1 interception.  Not exceptional. Not a lot of passing yards.  We sacked him 3 times.  They were not great on 3rd down conversions.  Minchew threw 55times.  What’s that all about.  Turnovers killed them and poor coaching.  The decision was made to play our young corners and let them develop.  Mistakes are made.  It happens.  If it wasn’t for the turnovers and poor quarterback who knows what the score might have been.  

Come on, The defense is literally at the bottom of the NFL. #28. Guys get fired for that.

15 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I don’t like his scheme and I didn’t like Eberflus’ either. Sadly I think a scheme like this is what we’ll get no matter who we get at DC because of Ballard. 

Why is that? Is Ballard stuck on DCs that play soft zones? I don't get it.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Ballard has wanted a “Legion of Boom” type defense from the beginning. Gus Bradley was the architect of that defense. 

Ah.  Well the problem with that is that you have to have VERY good players in the secondary to make that type of defense viable.  The only reason the Legion of Boom worked is that they had basically the best CB at the time (Sherman) and both of their safeties were top 5 (Thomas and Chancellor).  Unless you have those types of players in the secondary, that type of defense does not work in today's NFL.  I wish Ballard would give up that dream. You can't fit square pegs into a round hole.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

True turnovers hurt us in this game but in the beginning with the game in balance the defense did nothing as the Jags got up early. They ramped up the pressure in the 4th but it was too little too late. With Minshew at qb for probably the rest of the season this defense can't afford to simply sit back it HAS to become more aggressive to help create turnovers.

I WISH our qbs had the opportunity to face non pressure in the pocket and that our receivers could benefit from 10 yd cushions!!!! Wait a minute they DO on a daily basis in practice and that could be the very reason in prior years that the receiving core was evaluated as upper tier by the front office because they looked good in practice with plenty of SEPERATION. I keep saying a lot of these top tier defenses and teams have come up in Ballard's tenure. Now we have to worry about the Texans too.

• Like 1

Just now, bluephantom87 said:

True turnovers hurt us in this game but in the beginning with the game in balance the defense did nothing as the Jags got up early. They ramped up the pressure in the 4th but it was too little too late. With Minshew at qb for probably the rest of the season this defense can't afford to simply sit back it HAS to become more aggressive to help create turnovers.

I WISH our qbs had the opportunity to face non pressure in the pocket and that our receivers could benefit from 10 yd cushions!!!! Wait a minute they DO on a daily basis in practice and that could be the very reason in prior years that the receiving core was evaluated as upper tier by the front office because they looked good in practice with plenty of SEPERATION. I keep saying a lot of these top tier defenses and teams have come up in Ballard's tenure. Now we have to worry about the Texans too.

I wanted Schwartz instead of Bradley at the time when Ebs left. Thought Reich would go that route because of the Philly connection and success but Ballard wanted Gus. Now Jim Schwartz is running a top defense in Cleveland.

Why don’t we let 29 and 40 get their sea legs under them before asking for the DC’s head……

But, this is typical of “fans” that overreact when the team loses……somebody is the scapegoat.

Funny how when the defense plays well no mention of how well Gus coaches….

How about the short field handed the defense on 3 of the 4 turnovers? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Haven't I been saying this for years,but oh no let's dump on Moose lol. U continually draft corners who can't play man. Qbs quick throw and they can't cover. Brents reminded me of Sin grabbing out there. That was the mistake that Irsay did. He allowed Ballard to stay on. They didn't allow Steichen to pick his own D coordinator. So we have Ballard drafting one more year for a scheme that is crap. So if Irsay decides to dump Ballard and Steichen gets rid of Bradley, we have a wasted year of drafting.  Steichen should have got rid of Bradley and we would have been a year ahead. Now we r a year behind.

19 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Why don’t we let 29 and 40 get their sea legs under them before asking for the DC’s head……

But, this is typical of “fans” that overreact when the team loses……somebody is the scapegoat.

Look back. This D only looks good, and I have been saying it for years, against a team that is usually weak at qbing. They remind me so much of the Cowboys as they run kind of the same system. Oh, Parson and those pass rushers look great against weak teams. U put them up against a balanced team, and they look average. Take off the rose colored glasses. We are 7 going into 8 years of building this defense and what we got? Oh wait, I guess we can blame it on Luck retiring.

• Like 1

I’ll say some was scheme but I thought Adam Archuleta, a former safety, did a great job showing what looked like was poor scheme was really guys blowing assignments today.  With that said I do wish they didn’t play fearing deep balls on third and six and give up seven yards that’s there for the taking anytime the other team wants it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Just to further add to your comments. I don't like the  scheme but Ballard in no way has he provided Gus with the talent to run this scheme effectively.  Ballard is hell bent on running this scheme for the last almost 8 years. What does he have to show for it? Where  is the talent? I  will stick my prediction . Last man standing this year will be Steichen and  Gus and  Ballard will go bye bye. I said that Minshew is going to crash and burn

He is a back up. A great one but a back up. I think the next 11 games are going to show Irsay how lacking in elite talent this team is. Welcome Pierce to long list of early Ballard busts.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Not really.  People have been complaining about Gus's D since day 1, even though when they "played well".  A lot of people thought it was fools gold and thought that the glaring problems that come with a simple soft zone would be exacerbated with time, which they have.  You have to have VERY talented players in the secondary for a soft zone to work well in today's passing NFL. If you don't have all pro players at both CB and safety positions, (Like the Legion of Boom did)  the D just does not work.  

38 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

When it comes to being critical of the Colt's defense, it is easy to blame Bradley. It's all Bradley's fault! See how easy that was.

He's definitely part of the problem.  He's not the entire problem, but short of having your secondary literally full of all pro players, his soft zone doesn't produce good results.  

1 hour ago, bluephantom87 said:

I wanted Schwartz instead of Bradley at the time when Ebs left. Thought Reich would go that route because of the Philly connection and success but Ballard wanted Gus. Now Jim Schwartz is running a top defense in Cleveland.

I to banged the table for Schwartz. Ballard once again making bad decisions.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Just to further add to your comments. I don't like the  scheme but Ballard in no way has he provided Gus with the talent to run this scheme effectively.  Ballard is hell bent on running this scheme for the last almost 8 years. What does he have to show for it? Where  is the talent? I  will stick my prediction . Last man standing this year will be Steichen and  Gus and  Ballard will go bye bye. I said that Minshew is going to crash and burn

He is a back up. A great one but a back up. I think the next 11 games are going to show Irsay how lacking in elite talent this team is. Welcome Pierce to long list of early Ballard busts.

Wait, Pierce isn't a bust.  According to some, he's just as good as Wayne, Harrison, and MPJ were during their early years 🙄

41 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’ll say some was scheme but I thought Adam Archuleta, a former safety, did a great job showing what looked like was poor scheme was really guys blowing assignments today.  With that said I do wish they didn’t play fearing deep balls on third and six and give up seven yards that’s there for the taking anytime the other team wants it.

Yeah, I'm not blaming it all on Bradley.  His system sucks in today's NFL, but we don't have good players back there either.  It's definitely a combo of scheme and players.  

6 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

Not really.  People have been complaining about Gus's D since day 1, even though when they "played well".  A lot of people thought it was fools gold and thought that the glaring problems that come with a simple soft zone would be exacerbated with time, which they have.  You have to have VERY talented players in the secondary for a soft zone to work well in today's passing NFL. If you don't have all pro players at both CB and safety positions, (Like the Legion of Boom did)  the D just does not work.  

I fear e en the Legion of Boom would  e exposed. The NFL has evolved a lot since then. It is an antiquated defense. Even Carrol had moved away from it. He takes a corner eith I'd top 5 pick and once again Ballard drafts one in the wind round. He has length and blah blah. I finally figured it out why Ballard loves length in his corners. It allows them to grab wrs when they blow by them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

Yeah, I'm not blaming it all on Bradley.  His system sucks in today's NFL, but we don't have good players back there either.  It's definitely a combo of scheme and players.  

I think they have young players back there.  It’s too soon to know if they are good or not.  Brents is a great example of this.  At times, even today, he flashes and you can see why the Colts are so high on him.  Then, and sometimes on the same drive, he completely blows an assignment.  They are young and are going to be inconsistent this year.  

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Look back. This D only looks good, and I have been saying it for years, against a team that is usually weak at qbing. They remind me so much of the Cowboys as they run kind of the same system. Oh, Parson and those pass rushers look great against weak teams. U put them up against a balanced team, and they look average. Take off the rose colored glasses. We are 7 going into 8 years of building this defense and what we got? Oh wait, I guess we can blame it on Luck retiring.

So all that really says is that you’ve been a whiner for years……

Did you whine about the 3-4 we had under Grigson too?

Or how about the Tampa 2 under Dungy and Caldwell?

How about Jim Mora’s defensive philosophy with Vic Fangio in the 3-4?

What would you suggest they do since history says they’ve ran both alignments, zone and man alike?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AKB said:

does anyone have a suggestion for a better defense? or we all just here to complain?

I don’t have an issue with the defense as whole.  I do wish Bradley would play a little tighter on third downs and not live in fear of getting beat deep but this is the same system that produced the legion of boom.  If you get the right guys in it it can work.  

One thing I think they need, and you can say this about any team that doesn’t have one, is an elite pass rusher.  Too many times in crucial situations there is no pass rush and the QB can just stand there and wait for the young secondary to break down and make the throw.  

With that said, elite pass rushers don’t grow on trees and besides a franchise QB is maybe the most valuable thing in the NFL so no one lets them go either.  So you have to find one in the draft and again hitting on one is kinda like hitting on a franchise QB, there are a lot of misses for every hit.  

5 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

So all that really says is that you’ve been a whiner for years……

Did you whine about the 3-4 we had under Grigson too?

Or how about the Tampa 2 under Dungy and Caldwell?

How about Jim Mora’s defensive philosophy with Vic Fangio in the 3-4?

What would you suggest they do since history says they’ve ran both alignments, zone and man alike?

Don't like the Tampa 2 or this scheme under  Bradley. It is an issue of outdated scheme and lack of talent . The other defenses  u listed were an issue of lack of talent and not scheme design.

2 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

46 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I to banged the table for Schwartz. Ballard once again making bad decisions.

https://x.com/NFL345/status/1713665969489371501?s=20

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Gus is doing what he can with a young secondary minus Rogers and the injured kid..

Our LB's are bad in zone. BAD

It’s an offensive league out there today. This defense is good enough to win in the playoffs if the offense does their job. The offense is trying to find their identity without a QB again. Which sucks because it’s the QB that gives an offense its identity. 

only the top offenses make their way through the playoffs somehow some way. They find a way. 

unless you’re the 49ers who have a great all around football team. 

His system is outdated, but it wasn’t the issue today. With two rookie corners, they didn’t allow a single receiver to have more than 49 yards. And mind you they have Ridley and Engram.

The problem with defense is league wide though. While the offensive game continues to evolve, defensive philosophies have stayed mostly the same. There is no Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan on defense. It’s all traditional 3-4 defenses or the standard soft zone Cover/2 4-3.

Here is another name I want to throw out for next year, he has done well everywhere he has gone, Mike Rutenberg of New York Jets.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/team/coaches-roster/mike-rutenberg

He was actually defensive assistant in those 2016-17 years for the Jaguars when their D was really good, under Gus Bradley as head coach. But he has followed Saleh with his 49ers D coaching style the last few years, that they have now brought to the Jets.

• Like 1