Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chappell reports sprained AC joint for Richardson (MERGE)

GoColts8818

Don’t get me wrong, I really really like AR, but I’d sit him no matter what next week. At least let Minshew start and if needed and healthy, bring AR off the bench. His career trajectory isn’t looking to be long term right now, so he needs to heal up and get healthy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Not sure why you're reacting with that. Nothing I said was ridiculous. 

I don't like running QBs. Stroud > Richardson. 

Good Lord, is that so crazy? 

I really don't care if Stroud has been better through 5 games. I just care about winning as a team. We beat them at their place and we are 3-2, they are 2-3 (SCOREBOARD). If a QB puts up big passing yards like Stroud has but it doesn't translate to wins, what good does it do.

2 hours ago, kymd82222 said:

Yeah, I think Minshew might get another shot as a starter somewhere else at some point.  I'm sure he wants another shot at it, so I don't see him signing an extension to be a backup. He's better than at least 10 starters out there in my opinion.  I don't think he will ever be a career starter, though.  His ceiling is only so high, so he's never going to lead a team to a Super Bowl, and that's the problem.  At some point teams move on from him. 

He’s basically Fitzpatrick 2.0

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Don’t get me wrong, I really really like AR, but I’d sit him no matter what next week. At least let Minshew start and if needed and healthy, bring AR off the bench. His career trajectory isn’t looking to be long term right now, so he needs to heal up and get healthy. 

I’m fine using Minshew between the 20s and AR in the red zone to make the most out of them for a while and see how it goes, IMO.

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That’s not how you develop a quarterbacks passing game

True but it’s to ease him back after injury, that’s my thinking. If you have 2 QBs, you have no QB.

AR hasn’t won a game he started and finished it too so far. It’s been one or the other. The coaches have a responsibility along with AR to protect him till he gets smarter.

Just now, chad72 said:

True but it’s to ease him back after injury, that’s my thinking. If you have 2 QBs, you have no QB.

AR hasn’t won a game he started and finished it too so far.

You know they do RB by committee, this may be the one team in the league that could pull off the QB by committee approach. Hmmm

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

AR hasn’t won a game he started and finished it too so far.

That’s one game…. That stat is pretty much meaningless unless you want to point out he hasn’t finished three of the four games he’s played.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s one game…. That stat is pretty much meaningless unless you want to point out he hasn’t finished three of the four games he’s played.

The fact he hasn’t finished is the point I’m driving across.

Yes, some of it is AR but some of it has to be the coaches too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Well I’m hoping it’s a matter of time everyone from AR to the coaches figure out how to keep him healthy when he comes back 

I am just hoping he’s having a really bad string of bad luck but my fear is he’s just injury prone.  I can’t tell you how much I hope I am wrong though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am just hoping he’s having a really bad string of bad luck but my fear is he’s just injury prone.  I can’t tell you how much I hope I am wrong though.

He hasn’t been a running QB long either as a starter. I brought that up in another point that he’s learning to be a 2nd year starter at the highest level.

Lamar and Hurts had more experience there BEFORE they went to the NFL. The one that’s most experienced, Hurts, has been the smartest runner so far, IMO

Rewatched the hit a few times and it looks like AR almost like half slides before he gets hit from the side.  Anyone else notice that or am I seeing things. If he did half slide was that the cause of the injury. I figure if he braces himself and takes the hit squared up he is fine or if he commits to the slide he probably walks away. It was the indecision with his legs not under him that caused him to get slammed harder than needed.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What is scary about this is Richardson isn’t even taking that many hits.  That is a concern that when he does get hit he gets injured. 

During halftime of the 49ers/Cowboys game, on NBC, they reported that AR does indeed have an AC Joint injury and could even play next week depending on the severity of the injury. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

This kind of post is the reason you get so much push back here.   You post from point of authority.   Like you know what's going to happen.   That's why we laugh and make fun of you when you're wrong all the time

Man, u really  come across as a very angry person. Wish u all the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SLILLINGTON10 said:

Rewatched the hit a few times and it looks like AR almost like half slides before he gets hit from the side.  Anyone else notice that or am I seeing things. If he did half slide was that the cause of the injury. I figure if he braces himself and takes the hit squared up he is fine or if he commits to the slide he probably walks away. It was the indecision with his legs not under him that caused him to get slammed harder than needed.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. He was already going down awkwardly and it looked like he was stuck between two mind sets. How ironic if that was the case. 

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What is scary about this is Richardson isn’t even taking that many hits.  That is a concern that when he does get hit he gets injured. 

He's really getting used to the physicality of the NFL. He can't just lolly gag around and take hits from future grocery store baggers anymore.

Seeing the hit in real time, I thought it was an incredibly awkward fall by AR, and then the Titans defender (Byard I think?) fell right on top of him, pushing his shoulder down into the ground. I know AR has been injured a lot, but honestly I don’t think he’s fragile. The week 1 stuff was just some minor bruising, that’s gonna happen, and by the time Minshew came in that game was over anyway. Concussions happen to every player, no matter how durable they are. And the injury today looked like a really unlucky awkward tackle, which ended up causing a sprain.

Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but I’m leaning towards bad luck more than a fragile player. The real issue now is teaching AR that he needs to avoid contact rather than try to run through it, because unlike college ball, most guys on the field are as big as or bigger than him.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SR711 said:

1) Its unlikely that he needs surgery if its only an AC sprain.  Xrays would've indicated a more severe type of injury for which surgery would be necessary.  However, the MRI will tell if the ligaments are torn and/or if there is any other soft tissue injury involving the shoulder joint.  If its AC sprain requiring no surgery, my best guess is that he is out 2-4 weeks.  

2) Do not, without exception, put AR back on the field until he is absolutely pain free throwing a football with all throws.  We do not as a franchise or fanbase need a repeat of the Andrew Luck 2015 season which altered his career. 

3) At the risk of belaboring a point, no more read option plays in this offense.  If Richardson busts a run off a broken pass play, fine.  However, its pretty clear that using him as a RB is going to lead to problems long term.  If he can't be developed into a guy that can win throwing the football (which BTW I absolutely think he can), then we drafted the wrong guy anyways.   

To the bolded, he was drafted to be a read option/RPO QB.  I don’t see him being good unless he is.  

He’s got to grow up quick, stop playing this man’s game like a kid with “enthusiasm” and all that nonsense, learn techniques and times  to get tackled less violently.

Yesterday was a great example.  No where to go, go down on your own terms.

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

AR hasn’t won a game he started and finished it too so far. It’s been one or the other. The coaches have a responsibility along with AR to protect him till he gets smarter.

Regarding your 2nd paragraph = 1st sentence, we were up 14-0 against Houston with him starting and he was even outplaying Stroud early. We were also ahead yesterday when he got injured. The 1 game he did and start and finish, we lost in OT and he never touched the ball in OT. Probably not your intention but your 1st sentence makes it sound like he has started and finished 3 or 4 games and lost.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I figured it would be a few games. If he did come back in a month, it would be the game at Carolina. How good is that? Mustache can hold it down for 2 or 3 games. This news a lot better than what this could have been, a broken Collar Bone would have put him out for the year.

He’ll be rusty as heck. My guess is he misses 6 games or more. This sucks but maybe Irsay will finally admit this * turf has got to go.

• Like 3