Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chappell reports sprained AC joint for Richardson (MERGE)

GoColts8818

On 10/9/2023 at 10:41 AM, DougDew said:

Right, so they protect themselves against their teams that might want them back ASAP to win games this season.

This is the Colts future. Do you really think he is out seeking these opinions on his own, that he is out on an island alone. The Colts medical staff is leading this medical endeavor, don't kid yourself. They don't want him at risk of ruining his career any more than AR himself.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

This is the Colts future. Do you really think he is out seeking these opinions on his own, that he is out on an island alone. The Colts medical staff is leading this medical endeavor, don't kid yourself. They don't want him at risk of ruining his career any more than AR himself.

Exactly 

On 10/9/2023 at 11:34 AM, King Colt said:

Minshew is playing better than half than the rich starters. The Colts have a double barrel running attack. If the Cots coaching staff can develop a strategy of how to best implement the three (QB +2 RBs) it will be a nice season to sit back and enjoy. I don't know the injury history of AR so I hope this shoulder injury is a fluke. A plyer as athletic as he is does not mean he is injury proof. Maybe he will learn how to protect himself against hits. Pros hit harder the college boys.

Dr ChowS\ said he does not feel he is injury prone. I agree with your observations.

Someone is injury prone until they are not.

Someone is not injury prone until they are injured.

Injuries are generally fluky.  Not long ago, Christian McCaffrey was the most injury prone player.  He’s since been completely healthy and dominating.  Fade the injury prone narrative in general regardless of who the player is.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

No.  I'm sure he got the full endorsement from the Colts.  But that's not why he is seeking multiple opinions.  He's doing it for himself, not because the Colts want him to.  And he would do it if the Colts didn't endorse it.

On 10/11/2023 at 7:34 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks for the thoughtful post.  Appreciate the perspective.   If I may, I’d like to offer a few words in my defense.   

First, I did call it a semi-tank, and I’m not trying to be cute or clever with my words.  From January thru the draft, I predicted the Colts for 6 wins this year.   Plenty of other posters predicted 3-5 wins.   Then, by May I publicly upped my prediction to a 7 win season and said so throughout the rest of the off-season and pre-season.   

Honestly, my use of the term semi-tank triggered a lot of people here,  but it wasn’t meant as a pejorative, because I supported this approach, I agreed with it and thought it was smart.   Your use of the term “let’s see what we have season” is fine.  No objection.  But either way, I thought the Colts not making moves that many of the fan base here were calling for supported my view that the team was willing to play the kids to get them experience and the franchise would take their lumps this season with what looked like a sub-500 season and a likely top-5/10 pick next year.    

But now?   All bets are off.  This team may exceed my wildest expectations,  anything is possible.   

I know I started this post promising a few words.   Sorry, figure of speech.  Much to say.   Bottom line:  I’m not sure I see much distance between my view and your view.  Perhaps you’ll disagree?   I’ll be here if you want to continue.  

To be clear, I wasn't disagreeing with your point. If anything, I disagree with the use of the word "tank," but that's a matter of principle and a little petty on my part. I just think tanking is about specifically undermining your ability to win, to improve draft status. And I think teams get accused of tanking way too easily. 

I think the Colts felt like they had some good young players at various positions. They wanted to see some of them perform. I think they felt the offensive coaching, especially OL, was a problem last season, and they wanted to see some of these guys healthy and with a new staff. And if this led to a low win season, they'd be at peace with it. 

Now, I think they want to push this team as far as it can go this season. They'll play more games with higher stakes, it might make the decisions on guys like Leonard, Moore, Kelly, Cox, more critical, etc. The Richardson injury makes it less clear, but they'll have a good starting point going into the offseason.

I think we've been seeing this the same way since the offseason, and still are. I just don't think this is tanking. 

• Like 1