Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So do we have a decision to make

csmopar

3 minutes ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

I was called a troll for committing the mortal sin of suggesting we may have to start considering looking past AR after his 3rd and season ending injury

I wouldn’t call you a troll, but I wouldn’t say your post was well considered.   

You simply can not move on from AR after one season.   It’s hard enough to make an informed decision on a quarterback after his first three years let alone one year.  

AR has had one serious injury and it came on a routine football play.   The other two injuries were nothing.   Minor.   And certainly to be expected considering AR only started 13 games in college.   Growing pains were always part of the development plan of the kid.  You just can not give up on the 4th overall pick in the draft after one year.   Sorry, that’s a fan reaction.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn’t call you a troll, but I wouldn’t say your post was well considered.   

You simply can not move on from AR after one season.   It’s hard enough to make an informed decision on a quarterback after his first three years let alone one year.  

AR has had one serious injury and it came on a routine football play.   The other two injuries were nothing.   Minor.   And certainly to be expected considering AR only started 13 games in college.   Growing pains were always part of the development plan of the kid.  You just can not give up on the 4th overall pick in the draft after one year.   Sorry, that’s a fan reaction.  

Well fine but he hasn't finished any NFL game he has started. Not sure how many other rookie QBs this has happened to but I  can't remember any. There is nothing that shows this injury trend won't continue when he comes back next year and I think it would be prudent to look for something better than the Mustache as a backup because my gut says that we are going to need it. AR may be a great athlete but so far he has shown he is made of glass. I like the kid. He has a great attitude and work ethic, however that doesn't always translate into survival in the NFL.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

Well fine but he hasn't finished any NFL game he has started. Not sure how many other rookie QBs this has happened to but I  can't remember any. There is nothing that shows this injury trend won't continue when he comes back next year and I think it would be prudent to look for something better than the Mustache as a backup because my gut says that we are going to need it. AR may be a great athlete but so far he has shown he is made of glass. I like the kid. He has a great attitude and work ethic, however that doesn't always translate into survival in the NFL.

Well that’s not true. He finished the rams and missed two snaps against jags because the game was over.

2 minutes ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

I already said I was wrong because of the Rams game but he removed himself from the Jags game because of concussion symptoms and did not play the next game because if that.

No this isn’t right either. The first jags game Steichen took him out the last two snaps because he hit his knee and the game was over.  He wasn’t even on the injury report the next week. He did not play the second jags game. He got concussed against the Texans.

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Richardson has had just the one bad injury this year. That is now fixed and surgery makes it so it is less likely to happen again.

I really hope you are right. I do want the kid to succeed.  I have lived through the crap 80s and 90s teams. The bad front office decisions. Carrying on way to long to prove they were right. This looks alot like those days

4 hours ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

I posted in the Trade Thread- I’d try to trade Sam and a low pick for Trey Lance to back up AR next year.  I expect Minshew to be gone next year, and Sam just doesn’t fit the profile of a Steichen type QB.  Lance is an AR Clone which seems to fit Steichen’s plan for the Colts.  Sam and Lance both make the same Base Salary, and both are signed thru next year.  Or, maybe the ex Mississippi kid (Matt Corral) the Panthers drafted last year?  He, Lance, and AR are all runners, but all three got hurt early in their careers…

On 10/8/2023 at 5:33 PM, PRnum1 said:

The Colts do have a decision to make but that is not the decision they need to make.

The decision to make is whether to get in on the Caleb Williams sweepstakes at the end of the season.

To make an informed decision, AR needs to play every game possible so Colts can properly evaluate. 

If AR is healthy, he needs to play

nope, it's an RB1 decision, can't have RB1.a & RB1.b

19 hours ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

I was called a troll for committing the mortal sin of suggesting we may have to start considering looking past AR after his 3rd and season ending injury

Lotta self righteous, self appointed troll hunters here Wasteland.  It gets frustrating.

Plenty of people here who like to talk ball though.

• Like 1

I think it’s too early to move on from AR as his upside is still leaps and bounds better than what options we have. We’ve seen his abilities and potential in flashes from his first couple of games.

However, we’ve also seen the importance of having a quality backup, which aren’t going to be cheap and are gonna be hard to keep. Minshew is borderline a starter. If he figures out the turnover portion he could easily be a starter for other teams.

So the question is do we devote salary to a player who may not (and hopefully never is) needed. That money can be very well used in other areas of needs.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I actually don't think you are Troll but I knew I could get you to respond to my Homer post. You have had several takes I don't agree with but that doesn't make you a troll, I was just messing with you :thmup:

Me too.  But the Troll Hunters are boring and interfere with good discussion in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, lester said:

I'll take, "Tell me you don't follow the Colts closely without telling me that you don't follow the Colts closely."

Unimportant minutiae.  Even though he did finish one game the point that he isn't finishing games is valid.  

• Like 1

I want to see what Richardson does next season before I get jumpy at the idea that he's injury-prone and that we should move on. And the organization has made it very clear they're doing the same thing. 

If by next season he's still not been able to play more than one full game, then we can start with the Sam Bradford style worrying. 

I'm concerned about Richardson, but I'm also hopeful if that makes sense. 

39 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I actually don't think you are Troll but I knew I could get you to respond to my Homer post. You have had several takes I don't agree with but that doesn't make you a troll, I was just messing with you :thmup:

One man's Ignored troll is another man's waste of time. 

23 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Not playing can be as good of a teacher than playing and continuing to make the same mistakes. 

You can experience through shared understanding, through watching how to play in the NFL, practicing etc.

Not too complicated. Better than continuing to injure yourself because you think your 16 games with two teams translates to bring successful in the NFL. 

Okay.  Understood.

So when does he actually play?  What determines when he has learned enough on the sidelines and is now ready to be the starter or to participate in real games?

24 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I don’t typically wallow in hypothetical, but, if Gardner posts 4 turnovers for the 3rd game in a row... what to do?

Keep playing him.  It’s not like decent starting QBs are available.  

Besides, even with those turnovers he was only partially responsible for the Browns loss.  SS and the refs share that debacle.  

16 hours ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

I really hope you are right. I do want the kid to succeed.  I have lived through the crap 80s and 90s teams. The bad front office decisions. Carrying on way to long to prove they were right. This looks alot like those days

You're not a troll for suggesting it. Let's say we get to April and the word is that the shoulder isnt progressing as expected(which considering how info came out on Luck injuries is going to come from outside the organization). Would and should it be considered? I say yes, and I want the young man to succeed as well. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. 

• Like 1

For me, the question is whether the injuries he got are avoidable when he comes back.  Will he fight for extra yardage near the goal line in the area where linebackers feed?  Will he take on 2 players when the RPO closes up?  Will he not let up as he’s crossing the goal line with a defender lurking?  If he continues to do so, then we might have a decision to make.  But not right now.

20 hours ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

Really,, Hurts, Tagovailoa, Rothensberger, Murray. They all missed games there rookie years, I'm sure there is more but that's all I can think of now

• Thanks 1

I don't believe for one minute that the Colts have "a legit shot at the playoffs" this season.

Nor do I believe that there is "a decision to be made".

I do think that Minshew should be signed to be our backup again next season - but - I think that is the only REAL decision that needs to be made.

This season is about "growing a new team - with a new coaching staff - and - younger players".

On 10/26/2023 at 2:06 PM, PRnum1 said:

I saw an interesting stat about the Stache

He’s currently tied for 10th overall in QBR

And he’s beating notable QBs like:

Ryan Tannehill

Trevor Lawrence

CJ Stroud

Kirk Cousins

Matt Stafford

Joe Burrow

And several others…

im one of the few people here that has thought from the start of the season he is doing a adequate job. He makes mistakes, all qb’s do. The last game, a top defensive player made several great plays. That’s not on him, that’s what top players do. I wasn’t expecting the colts to play this well. Being in the playoff race is making this a enjoyable season and gm is a big reason why.

• Like 1