Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

2 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

I think the 1st round ask is just the starting point. In no world do I think that's the only thing the Colts will accept. In any negotiation, you start high and work your way down to something more reasonable so both parties feel like they made out on the deal. 

He's a first round talent and still young but I think the Colts would accept quite a bit of different combinations of picks/players. 

To your point, I could see him still playing for the Colts because teams may not even want to negotiate anything more than a 3rd considering his contract situation and the "health" concerns. 

I don't see him sitting the year. It's not beneficial for him to do so. That would turn far too many teams off of him, add another year removed from when he was playing well and would do absolutely nothing for him contract wise come next year. If he wants the money, he plays well this year for the Colts or gets the trade he's looking for. 

Well, it’s not just a matter of not being able to get a 1st or the equivalent in others picks and/or players. I don’t think the Colts will accept anything less than a 2nd rounder like they used to draft him. The 1st is definitely just a starting point, but there’s floor too. 

What the Colts want is a sticking point for interested teams and so is what JT wants. Even if a team wanted to give a 1st there’s no guarantee they’ll meet JTs demands. 

I just don’t see any team giving up at least a 2nd and $16m for JT. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yes. Yes this a thousand times! If it's to happen, I want immediate help with the right side of the line through a trade. 

Think about it, Miami could have had Dalvin Cook without giving up draft capital. They didn't want to spend the money. I don't think they will be willing to give up assets + $$ to get Taylor.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Well, it’s not just a matter of not being able to get a 1st or the equivalent in others picks and/or players. I don’t think the Colts will accept anything less than a 2nd rounder like they used to draft him. The 1st is definitely just a starting point, but there’s floor too. 

What the Colts want is a sticking point for interested teams and so is what JT wants. Even if a team wanted to give a 1st there’s no guarantee they’ll meet JTs demands. 

I just don’t see any team giving up at least a 2nd and $16m for JT. 

Totally agree, Colts have a floor in their minds that will not be moved but I do think teams that are willing to trade for/pay JT can get creative to give us the value to hit that floor. I could see a 2ND + player, or something like two 3rds + 4th/player. 

Ballard/team has always been great in the 2nd-3rd rounds too, so we shall see. 

Either way, we either get value we are comfortable with for him or he plays for us this year and tries to play well. I just don't see him sitting purposely as an option. 

31 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I agree with this. I’d be really surprised if any team wants to give the Colts a 1st or the equivalent AND pay JT what he wants. 

He’ll either play for the Colts this season or sit. 

Exactly.  The Colts don’t HAVE to trade Taylor.  If no one meets their asking price they can tell Taylor we tried.  Now you have two choices.  Suit and play and prove you are worth what you are asking for or sit on PUP try to negotiate a new contract in the off-season after sitting out all year.  

• Like 4

Just now, cjwhiskers said:

Totally agree, Colts have a floor in their minds that will not be moved but I do think teams that are willing to trade for/pay JT can get creative to give us the value to hit that floor. I could see a 2ND + player, or something like two 3rds + 4th/player. 

Ballard/team has always been great in the 2nd-3rd rounds too, so we shall see. 

Either way, we either get value we are comfortable with for him or he plays for us this year and tries to play well. I just don't see him sitting purposely as an option. 

I think it’s unrealistic. Cook’s been on the market for some time this off season and he signed for less than $9m. Why would a team give up picks/players plus 50%+ more money for JT?

I honestly think some Colts fans are unrealistic about this. 

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is smart by our FO. Let Taylor and his agent explore a trade. Once they can't find a team to take him or want his demands, then mission complete. Our FO also will not trade Taylor for a Big Mac either. It will take a 1st round pick in 2024, or 2nd and 3rd in 2024. So I don't see Taylor going anywhere.

Yet there are posters who think letting JT seek a trade and the Colts putting out there the required trade compensation is laughable.   I think it’s brilliant.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Yet there are posters who think letting JT seek a trade and the Colts putting out there the required trade compensation is laughable.   I think it’s brilliant.

I think it’s a very smart move because the Colts are in a no lose situation.  The worst case scenario (looking at this from the Colts perspective as they have said they want JT to play for them this year on this contract) is someone meets their asking price and they trade him.  Best case is he sees it’s not just the Colts, no team in the league will do what he wants, and then he realizes he has to play and the Colts get a very highly motivated Taylor.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Matabix said:

I think we are all looking at this like JT is expecting 16 million.  That was HIS starting point, and he would very likely play for 10-13 million a year so long as there is a multi year contract attached to it- something the Colts have not done, and have publicly said they will not do. 

If a team offered the Colts a second rounder and JT 4 years at 11 million I think we can make a deal.  I just wonder which team will do it. 

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

I think it’s unrealistic. Cook’s been on the market for some time this off season and he signed for less than $9m. Why would a team give up picks/players plus 50%+ more money for JT?

I honestly think some Colts fans are unrealistic about this. 

Maybe a bit unrealistic but I still think that's what it will take for the Colts to trade him. It all depends on what JT is honestly asking these teams for in a contract extension. Which we've only heard rumors on. 

Cook is 4 years older and hasn't been a season rushing leader. I think a better comparable is Barkley who is getting paid ~11 million this year. If JT is honestly asking for ~16 million then no question, no team in their right mind is doing that. However, if he's requested extension is more in line with the market, I could see teams willing to pay picks & player. 

36 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yes. Yes this a thousand times! If it's to happen, I want immediate help with the right side of the line through a trade. 

I wouldn’t mind that starting DE of the Bears that was mentioned earlier in this thread when this broke yesterday.  I would love a good starting caliber player that could fill a hole immediately.  

7 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

At this point of the year and season, every million is important and teams think about spending or saving it. 

I'm not sure if you point was more so the Colts are price conscious so would be hesitant to eat his salary or if you meant that other teams would be more willing since every million counts but JT's contract is already counted towards our cap. If a team gave us a 1st to eat this salary for one year, it'd be done in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

Maybe a bit unrealistic but I still think that's what it will take for the Colts to trade him. It all depends on what JT is honestly asking these teams for in a contract extension. Which we've only heard rumors on. 

Cook is 4 years older and hasn't been a season rushing leader. I think a better comparable is Barkley who is getting paid ~11 million this year. If JT is honestly asking for ~16 million then no question, no team in their right mind is doing that. However, if he's requested extension is more in line with the market, I could see teams willing to pay picks & player. 

I guess we’ll see. 

I still think JT is a Colt this year because no team wants to meet both the Colts and JTs demands. 

I think this is mostly the Colts telling JT “F-around and find out”. After this JT won’t able to pull the injury card and he’ll realise there’s no market for what he wants. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

I guess we’ll see. 

I still think JT is a Colt this year because no team wants to meet both the Colts and JTs demands. 

I think this is mostly the Colts telling JT “F-around and find out”. After this JT won’t able to pull the injury card and he’ll realise there’s no market for what he wants. 

I don't disagree. I think it's a win-win for the Colts either way. They let him play his cards and talk to the teams. If he doesn't find a suitor it's validation for him that what he wants doesn't exist at the moment or he finds what he wants and pushes to get a deal done. 

Good play by the organization honestly. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

Age matters less than mileage.....  Taylor has taken more hits than any of these other RBs the last six years... Sure he's younger, but he's been beat on more than any of them, and for a longer time....much more than many of them.

Just now, teganslaw said:

Jonathan Taylor travelling to Philadelphia, Sirianni and Steichen know each other and both know Taylor. Talks could happen and Taylor to the Eagles isn't out of the question. They have to figure out the contract, draft picks, etc. 

They wouldn't even pay their last main RB

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Age matters less than mileage.....  Taylor has taken more hits than any of these other RBs the last six years... Sure he's younger, but he's been beat on more than any of them, and for a longer time....much more than many of them.

They wouldn't even pay their last main RB

Yea I've read the "mileage" thing but I don't subscribe to that at all. Age matters more IMO. It's all about how you body bounces back and heals from injuries. Younger = better and faster recovery. JT isn't at the point that he's getting slower because he ran more yards and took more hits over the last 4 years. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This had to be done. It's called strategy and it makes the FO not look like the bad guy. We are not holding him hostage, letting Taylor's agent and Taylor explore their options. Once they find out they won't be able to get the deal they want, JT and his agent will change their tune and he will play out his contract out. If he doesn't play, he loses a lot of money and it makes him look bad, just like it did Bell years ago. If a team bites and we ask for a 1st round pick and that team says no, we can at least say we tried.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This had to be done. It's called strategy and it makes the FO not look like the bad guy. We are not holding him hostage, letting Taylor's agent and Taylor explore their options. Once they find out they won't be able to get the deal they want, JT and his agent will change their tune and he will play out his contract out. If he doesn't play, he loses a lot of money and it makes him look bad, just like it did Bell years ago. If a team bites and we ask for a 1st round pick and that team says no, we can at least say we tried.

It also makes sense. This forces Taylor to admit one way or the other, his accurate injury status. This had to be done this week simply due to the cutdown and PUP/IR dates hitting this week. By doing this, Taylor will have to take physical(s) to determine his health status and thus, takes away the injury card he’s likely been playing. 

if he fails, he can’t be traded and onto IR he goes. If he passes, he’ll either have to play or not be tolled and paid. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

JT isn't at the point that he's getting slower because he ran more yards and took more hits over the last 4 years. 

Id have to disagree, the number of hits does matter imo.  He was heavily used in college

There have been some good studies on when rbs decline compared to the number of hits and carries they took in their career.  Hes not there yet but its something to consider when writing a long term contract

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bearzzz said:

Think about it, Miami could have had Dalvin Cook without giving up draft capital. They didn't want to spend the money. I don't think they will be willing to give up assets + $$ to get Taylor.

Oh trust me, I know. It's not going to happen. Right now, a starting RG is probably worth more to a team than a luxury running back. 

I will be shocked if anyone trades for JT and gives him the money he wants so badly. 

56 minutes ago, Korey said:

That would help for this season but not the overall new contract that Taylor is seeking. 

True but this late in the pre-season most teams probably have this year’s budgets pretty tight. So even if they have a lot of cap space in 2024, this year might be an issue.

12 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Id have to disagree, the number of hits does matter imo.  He was heavily used in college

There have been some good studies on when rbs decline compared to the number of hits and carries they took in their career.  Hes not there yet but its something to consider when writing a long term contract

I don't disagree but if Taylor can't at least play at elite level for 3 more years than the dude is just fragile. I find it hard to believe, hits and all, at his age he won't be great for the next 3 years. That is why most people in here and in the media are ok giving him a 3 year deal. 

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Go back and check

Was I wrong when I said about a,week ago that Taylor will never play for  olts again?

So far , yes you are.    He hasn't been traded.   I have a hard time believing he will be able to find a deal the Colts are interested in

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

So far , yes you are.    He hasn't been traded.   I have a hard time believing he will be able to find a deal the Colts are interested in

Agreed . Unless the situation just gets so ugly the colts don’t want him around, they have no reason to not stand pat

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Only team that I have heard that has interest in him is Miami. They don't have a 3rd round pick in 2024 so that really hurts that cause. They would have to give us their 1st round pick because no way is Ballard trading JT for just a 2nd round pick. He led the league in rushing just 2 years ago. Maybe the Cowboys will try to negotiate with us, you never know about Jerry. He wants a SB bad and is half crazy anyway lmao 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Only team that I have heard that has interest in him is Miami. They don't have a 3rd round pick in 2024 so that really hurts that cause. They would have to give us their 1st round pick because no way is Ballard trading JT for just a 2nd round pick. He led the league in rushing just 2 years ago. Maybe the Cowboys will try to negotiate with us, you never know about Jerry. He wants a SB bad and if half crazy anyway lmao 

The boys are pretty set at RB

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Only team that I have heard that has interest in him is Miami. They don't have a 3rd round pick in 2024 so that really hurts that cause. They would have to give us their 1st round pick because no way is Ballard trading JT for just a 2nd round pick. He led the league in rushing just 2 years ago. Maybe the Cowboys will try to negotiate with us, you never know about Jerry. He wants a SB bad and is half crazy anyway lmao 

Something interesting. Myles Garrett just cleared $13 million on his contract. Don't be surprised if the Browns try to trade for him and extend him to a long-term contract. We could get Jerome Ford + picks for Taylor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Something interesting. Myles Garrett just cleared $13 million on his contract. Don't be surprised if the Browns try to trade for him and extend him to a long-term contract. We could get Jerome Ford + picks for Taylor.

The browns have Chubb.  Why would they trade for Taylor?