Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You know what I say, lets all be negative and say Taylor is a fake, AR can't carry Stroud's Jock, and Tennessee will just whip us 31-10 Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

I don't know how we all should be, but a lot of us like to have discussions based upon the facts or the reasonable interpretation of the facts we have, and that leads to nonpositive comments...because that's reality.

Your comment is suggesting that we should come to the forum to be uplifted, as if it exists to function like a Sunday Church Choir. 

james-brown-blues.gif

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Nickster said:

How dare you not share the happiness?

LOL, all he's done so far is speak into a microphone.

By the way, I'm hopeful that he plays soon, and plays well. I've never been upset with him, even though I think his strategy was ill conceived. I'm not unhappy. I just think his presser was bogus. 

• Like 1

Anyone who was silly enough to think that JT would be answering questions about his chaotic off-season will be disappointed.

There was LOTS of blame to be passed around for the chaos.

At this point - he will be focused - and - to the point - which is - HE IS AN INDIANAPOLIS COLT for at least the 2023 season.  

PERIOD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I'm listening to the presser right now. There's no honesty from JT in this thing.

It’s a hilarious effort by him to act like this is a joyous day for all because he’s finally healed and ready for Tennessee. I’d have more respect if he just said “Hey, I tried to get the bag early and it didn’t work. I’m gonna ball out and the money stuff will take care of itself.” Easy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think the rules for him to be a FA say that he has to be activated for a game, not necessarily play.  So if he doesn't practice, the HC won't activate the player.

And its no big deal at this point.  I wouldn't expect any player to be activated for a game after starting the season on PUP.

If he is not activated, I don't think it means anything at this point.

He has to play in 6 games to be a free agent at the end of the season.  Otherwise. he’ll to do this all over again. 

1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

He has to play in 6 games to be a free agent at the end of the season.  Otherwise. he’ll to do this all over again. 

Correction: He has to play in ONE game to be a free agent at the end of the season.

Hence, my level of concern.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

That’s not true at all. Go read the CBA, since he started on PUP, he only has to be active game day roster for 1 game. That’s it. But it has to occur before week 6. 

which is why the colts still hold the leverage and need to not activate him for 21 days. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cbear said:

About what I expected. He wasn't going to say I hate the Colts and am doing this so I can be paid, or my agent is an * and I'm thinking of firing him. He managed the media perfectly. 

Putting my former journalism hat on, the questions were asked in a way that were easy to dodge. You have to ask a question in a way that makes a dodge trickier, or that the dodge itself might give a clue. They should have asked him:

1. Are you more prone to injuring this ankle again? 

2. Did the docs tell you why it took so long to heal?

3. Could you see yourself playing for another team next year? 

4. Could you see yourself playing for the Colts next year? 

5. Have you spoken to Chris or Jim in the past week or two? 

Still, he wasn't sullen or grouchy. He seemed genuinely excited. I took that as a positive. 

Yep, a couple attempts by the media but no bulldog reporter in there. The problem is a lack of follow-ups. You ask, he dodges and then you ask a tougher version and keep drilling down. No one does that. 

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

After watching that presser I will say this without a doubt, a politician, any politician, would have told less lies and been more direct with less deflections than what JT just spewed everywhere for 12 minutes. 

Kind of looked like a parody of politicians lol

• Like 1

Just now, stitches said:

"Now that I've gone through that real surgical recovery... I commend these guys that have gone through serious injuries" 

Is he taking the *? That would be hilarious if it wasn't so mind-numbingly preposterous. 

What did you think about the part when he tried to explain that different people heal differently?

'It's like if I had surgery, and James had surgery, and what's the difference? We both had surgery.' 

WHAT?? 

The dude had an operation that takes 4-6 weeks for recovery. He didn't participate in any offseason activities, up to 5 months after the surgery. The team asks him to come in to camp a few days early to check the ankle out, and he refuses. Despite the owner and GM expecting him to be ready to practice, he doesn't pass his physical, and spends all of camp on PUP. Then he spends another four weeks on PUP, missing the first four games. In there, he changes his tone on contract talks, demands a trade, shows up late to camp, and his agent takes shots at the team on social media. 

But he shows up today and says 'I'm just glad to be 100% healthy!' And people are singing along. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Correction: He has to play in ONE game to be a free agent at the end of the season.

So he plays one game and then sits and ghosts the team for the remainder of the season… and then hits free agency and leaves. 

It’s possible but that would be such a scummy thing to do, and how would other GMs look at that and think “it’s fine he couldn’t do it to us, right? Right?”

Plus it would set a precedent for other players to do the same down the road. I imagine the owners wouldn’t like that. So if he quits on us after 1 game, it’s also possible nobody calls him or his agent in the offseason. 

Just now, Superman said:

What did you think about the part when he tried to explain that different people heal differently?

'It's like if I had surgery, and James had surgery, and what's the difference? We both had surgery.' 

WHAT?? 

The dude had an operation that takes 4-6 weeks for recovery. He didn't participate in any offseason activities, up to 5 months after the surgery. The team asks him to come in to camp a few days early to check the ankle out, and he refuses. Despite the owner and GM expecting him to be ready to practice, he doesn't pass his physical, and spends all of camp on PUP. Then he spends another four weeks on PUP, missing the first four games. In there, he changes his tone on contract talks, demands a trade, shows up late to camp, and his agent takes shots at the team on social media. 

But he shows up today and says 'I'm just glad to be 100% healthy!' And people are singing along. 

Yep. The more interesting thing is that he's on the record in ... April I think?... that his recovery is going to plan. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Yep, a couple attempts by the media but no bulldog reporter in there. The problem is a lack of follow-ups. You ask, he dodges and then you ask a tougher version and keep drilling down. No one does that. 

They were also jumping all over each other to ask weak questions, allowing him to change the topic. Someone needed a clear out to follow up on a line of questioning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

So he plays one game and then sits and ghosts the team for the remainder of the season… and then hits free agency and leaves. 

It’s possible but that would be such a scummy thing to do, and how would other GMs look at that and think “it’s fine he couldn’t do it to us, right? Right?”

Plus it would set a precedent for other players to do the same down the road. I imagine the owners wouldn’t like that. So if he quits on us after 1 game, it’s also possible nobody calls him or his agent in the offseason. 

Yes, that's what he could do. No question that the Colts would pursue a grievance if he did, though.

And sadly, there's no question that he'd get offers in free agency. I don't believe for a second that teams would stay away. Assuming the Colts decided not to tag him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Where was Holder with the tough questions? He kept repeating the same question over and over to Ballard and Steichen during their press conference, and yet with Taylor it’s one and done…

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

We can always franchise tag him. :dunno: 

I guess the question is - if he really does something like this - do we even want to go that way and franchise tag him? 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Yes, that's what he could do. No question that the Colts would pursue a grievance if he did, though.

And sadly, there's no question that he'd get offers in free agency. I don't believe for a second that teams would stay away. Assuming the Colts decided not to tag him.

Would the other owners be cool with it? That situation would open the flood gates for superstar players to essentially do this at the end of their contacts every time. 

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't know how we all should be, but a lot of us like to have discussions based upon the facts or the reasonable interpretation of the facts we have, and that leads to nonpositive comments...because that's reality.

Your comment is suggesting that we should come to the forum to be uplifted, as if it exists to function like a Sunday Church Choir. 

james-brown-blues.gif

I like talking ball.  There are some here I enjoy talking ball with whom share a lot of my views, and there are some here that I enjoy talking ball with that do not.

I have no interest in joining the cheerleading squad even though I look really good in a mini skirt and bloomers.

Cheerleaders who enjoy themselves I have no issue with at all.  Enjoy.  

Militant cheerleaders I be like 

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'd like to be a fly on the wall of the owners' meeting.  They might need to stand together on this or they will lose a lot if not all the advantage they have over players.  (And for the record, I think owners have a disproportionate amount of power over rookie contract guys.)  JT could undermine just about everything in the collective bargaining agreement with this if he'd pull it off. 

I was incredulous when this started when I realized that he was serious and didn't see the writing on the wall with RB contracts, etc.  I know denial is a powerful sometimes all omnipotent phenomenon even in very smart people like JT.

But I was like come on dude.

I really think JT might think of himself as a sort of Savior/Martyr for RB contracts.  I guess I am in denial of a dude like him being that far in fairy land if not.  The funny thing to me about this martyrdom though it's goofy.

More money for RBs means less money for other positions with the finite dollars under a cap system.

I don't know I guess he's a martyr for RBs not the union lol. 

28 minutes ago, Superman said:

LOL, all he's done so far is speak into a microphone.

By the way, I'm hopeful that he plays soon, and plays well. I've never been upset with him, even though I think his strategy was ill conceived. I'm not unhappy. I just think his presser was bogus. 

Ditto.  Don't do pressers, but they generally are bogus anyway.  Lip service.  I never had that skill or at least I never had the willingness to practice that skill. 

7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Would the other owners be cool with it? That situation would open the flood gates for superstar players to essentially do this at the end of their contacts every time. 

Players hold out all the time, which is why I've never been anti-JT about this. But it's all about leverage.

In this case, JT's documented injury gave him a little bit of cover. He could use his recovery as a shield, to a point. I think that's run out, but I'm not convinced he won't at least try. 

If he does, the Colts would file a grievance and probably prevail, and it could result in him not reaching free agency. But then the NFLPA gets involved, they'd sue the league and the Colts, and we're back in pre-2011 times again with contract disputes. I don't want to see any of that. I just want him to play the rest of the season, and then both sides figure out the contract stuff along the way.

• Like 3

I guess my stance on Taylor's return is the following:

I'm glad he's back and ready to play. If he truly means it and is prepared to play and not just accrue a season and fake another injury, I'm good with whatever the ultimate outcome is - be it him being traded at the trade deadline, be it him playing out the season and becoming a FA in the end of the season... be it the Colts offering him an extension(I might not like the extension but I would be good with the knowledge that he actually worked for it and played his butt off for it. The decision itself we can discuss more in a separate thread about Ballard's decisions. 

My real fear though is that he will either fake another injury relatively soon after he accrues a season or after the Colts are not able to get a good enough offer for him at the trade deadline. 

I guess we will see in due time... 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I really think JT might think of himself as a sort of Savior/Martyr for RB contracts.

I think he might have come away from that summer Zoom call with RBs thinking that he was uniquely positioned to fight this battle. But thinking that he could win this battle is another story.

39 minutes ago, Superman said:

think he simply has to be activated for one game, not necessarily play in it, but you may be right. 

I think the PUP concept is created based upon gauging the health of the player...and coming off PUP healthy would allow him to practice well enough to be included in the game day roster.  Whether the player actually sees game action would depend upon game situation coach's decision.

That was how I read the material you posted here, but you my have a better understanding of it.

With JT, activation for a game means he'll play, so its the same thing for him most likely

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think he might have come away from that summer Zoom call with RBs thinking that he was uniquely positioned to fight this battle. But thinking that he could win this battle is another story.

I agree with this. This fight is like trying to stop an avalanche - the winner will be buried.

42 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

It’s a hilarious effort by him to act like this is a joyous day for all because he’s finally healed and ready for Tennessee. I’d have more respect if he just said “Hey, I tried to get the bag early and it didn’t work. I’m gonna ball out and the money stuff will take care of itself.” Easy. 

I would have respected that so much!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That’s not true at all. Go read the CBA, since he started on PUP, he only has to be active game day roster for 1 game. That’s it. But it has to occur before week 6. 

which is why the colts still hold the leverage and need to not activate him for 21 days. 

I still don't think I agree with that interpretation. I wish we could get a ruling...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

think he simply has to be activated for one game, not necessarily play in it, but you may be right. 

I think the PUP concept is created based upon gauging the health of the player...and coming off PUP healthy would allow him to practice well enough to be included in the game day roster.  Whether the player actually sees game action would depend upon game situation coach's decision.

That was how I read the material you posted here, but you my have a better understanding of it.

With JT, activation for a game means he'll play, so its the same thing for him most likely

I think that's technically correct, with the bolded being a reasonable assumption.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I like talking ball.  There are some here I enjoy talking ball with whom share a lot of my views, and there are some here that I enjoy talking ball with that do not.

I have no interest in joining the cheerleading squad even though I look really good in a mini skirt and bloomers.

Needs more proof! :funny:

35 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Bully cheerleading seems like an oxymoron to me, but oxymoron's exist in the world.

44 minutes ago, DougDew said:

james-brown-blues.gif

Not really because some in here are negative for no reason. They find reasons to be like that and nitpick everything, sad really. I am glad the Ravens smoked us like some suggested. I also find it comical back in 2020 when I picked us to go 11-5 and make the playoffs while half the forum called Rivers a noodle arm for no reason. Dude is a Hall of Famer, he deserves respect.

Some in here don't read when I say we play bad or when I put the team down or I am critical of a player - it happens a lot, so you are right, people read what they want. Never said or thought it was all peaches or cream. Being a positive person is sure a lot better than being a miserable grouchy stooge though lmao .

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

Players hold out all the time, which is why I've never been anti-JT about this. But it's all about leverage.

In this case, JT's documented injury gave him a little bit of cover. He could use his recovery as a shield, to a point. I think that's run out, but I'm not convinced he won't at least try. 

If he does, the Colts would file a grievance and probably prevail, and it could result in him not reaching free agency. But then the NFLPA gets involved, they'd sue the league and the Colts, and we're back in pre-2011 times again with contract disputes. I don't want to see any of that. I just want him to play the rest of the season, and then both sides figure out the contract stuff along the way.

This is truly Taylor’s best option. Any more shenanigans and he’s permanently damaged his reputation. No one wants to give a guy feigning injury a large contract. Nor, I’m assuming, would the owners want to reward this tactic. 
But if JT shows up to play, and produces, his leverage gets dramatically better. You’d have to figure that he now gets this. Let’s hope. 

• Like 1