Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

He looked pretty good to me. I'd go with that plan if I were them. And he would make better sense than JT in their passing game.

Yes if I were the Bills, I would save all of my draft capital. Because it's not easy to keep all of their current players long term as it is. Adding Taylor would just increase that problem. Only way I see it is if the team thinks he's the final piece to the puzzle. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am pretty sure the Colts are wanting at least 1st round pick in 2024 from someone. I have no facts to back that up but when Irsay said 3 weeks ago we aren't trading him, I took that as, we aren't trading him unless we get a great deal. 

While I put about 100% of the blame in this fiasco on Malki Kawa (and, of course, JT for following his bad advice), I do have to say that I really wish Irsay would've kept out of it.  I've gathered that he has a really hard time keeping his thoughts from making their way to his vocal chords -- especially when there's a microphone nearby.

This is a situation where it would've been far better for him to just say some nice things about Taylor and defer everything regarding his contract situation to Ballard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

While I put about 100% of the blame in this fiasco on Malki Kawa (and, of course, JT for following his bad advice), I do have to say that I really wish Irsay would've kept out of it.  I've gathered that he has a really hard time keeping his thoughts from making their way to his vocal chords -- especially when there's a microphone nearby.

This is a situation where it would've been far better for him to just say some nice things about Taylor and defer everything regarding his contract situation to Ballard.

Hard to debate this because some of things Irsay says is mindboggling. I do think he is a great owner (he wants to win) but he often talks too much which causes distractions as well. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hard to debate this because some of things Irsay says is mindboggling. I do think he is a great owner (he wants to win) but he often talks too much which causes distractions as well. 

Carson Wentz ruined him.  Irsay basically stayed out of everything for 20 years until Wentz triggered something in him.  

• Like 1

Since Irsay seems to be calling the shots on most of the big decisions, I wonder if he might direct Ballard to put JT on injured reserve today and thereby end his season. Sounds crazy but it seems this situation has been more about emotion than rational thought on both sides for weeks.

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

You know... Chris Ballard just continues to have really bad luck with offseasons. There has yet to be just a normal run of the mill offseason for the guy... 

I agree with this, but I think he could have avoided some of this drama by being more proactive about drafting a QB. In fact, if he traded up for Herbert in 2020, he probably wouldn't have been able to draft Taylor in the first place. That's like five birds with one stone -- no Rivers retirement, no Carson Wentz, no Matt Ryan, probably no Jeff Saturday, and probably no Taylor standoff.

Hindsight and all that, but he was treading water year after year when he should have been trying to catch a wave.

• Like 7

Just now, Superman said:

I agree with this, but I think he could have avoided some of this drama by being more proactive about drafting a QB. In fact, if he traded up for Herbert in 2020, he probably wouldn't have been able to draft Taylor in the first place. That's like five birds with one stone -- no Rivers retirement, no Carson Wentz, no Matt Ryan, probably no Jeff Saturday, and probably no Taylor standoff.

Hindsight and all that, but he was treading water year after year when he should have been trying to catch a wave.

You actually read my mind. It's no secret I wanted Herbert back in '20... 

Oh well. We can't dwell on the past for too long. Here's to hoping either Anthony is the savior, or he brings us Caleb Williams. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I don't think that's a fair statement at all.  Irsay didn't say anything poorly, and if an intelligent, thoughtful, and introspective person, like we are led to believe JT is.... Is the intended recipient, then Irsay did even less wrong.  

I get that it's hard to fathom for many, but Irsay is and has been, well regarded by people who matter in his industry.

2 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this likely isn't anywhere near resolved by the imaginary deadline....

Wouldnt it be wild if nothing happened and then we all woke up wednesday to see Taylor has been traded to Commanders

3 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Since Irsay seems to be calling the shots on most of the big decisions, I wonder if he might direct Ballard to put JT on injured reserve today and thereby end his season. Sounds crazy but it seems this situation has been more about emotion than rational thought on both sides for weeks.

It might actually be rational given that it might give players in the future pause over using this strategy.

Just now, Jackie Daytona said:

Irsay didn't say anything poorly

I disagree. His comment about bad faith agents was, at the least, poorly timed. And now knowing that there was likely an acrimonious relationship between the Colts and Taylor's agent prior to that comment from Irsay, it makes it even more ill-advised. And neither Irsay nor the Colts stood to gain anything from him making that comment.

And his live comment about 'he and I could die tomorrow and the league will continue on' was poorly articulated, and again, poorly timed.

That said, I don't think either of these comments had any material impact on the negotiations, or the eventual outcome. But they didn't help. And they give more ammo to the 'Irsay talks too much' crowd, which works against the Colts in the court of public opinion.

If you think I'm overreacting, you should read the anonymous agent feedback piece on The Athletic. Plenty of 'Ballard is a good GM, but Irsay makes it hard for him to do his job' comments, some specific to the Taylor situation. And even though I think that's overblown, those comments serve as evidence that Irsay's reputation is a factor in the opinion of people around the league.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I don't think that's a fair statement at all.  Irsay didn't say anything poorly, and if an intelligent, thoughtful, and introspective person, like we are led to believe JT is.... Is the intended recipient, then Irsay did even less wrong.  

I get that it's hard to fathom for many, but Irsay is and has been, well regarded by people who matter in his industry.

This was dumb and counterproductive.

F2P9EzuWAAAheUI.webp

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

In order to get Herbert we would have had to trade up to #4 because Miami needed a QB at #5 - they took Tua, and the Chargers needed one at #6. They weren't trading their picks. Not only that, Ballard would have needed to be able to read into the future and know without a doubt that Herbert would be good. A lot of if's there.

How's this for hindsight, we could have drafted Josh Allen in 2018 at #6 to back up Luck, at the time nobody was sure that Allen would good to great. Had we even done that, we would've had Allen as our QB for the next decade. Allen went 7th to the Bills.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I disagree. His comment about bad faith agents was, at the least, poorly timed. And now knowing that there was likely an acrimonious relationship between the Colts and Taylor's agent prior to that comment from Irsay, it makes it even more ill-advised. And neither Irsay nor the Colts stood to gain anything from him making that comment.

And his live comment about 'he and I could die tomorrow and the league will continue on' was poorly articulated, and again, poorly timed.

That said, I don't think either of these comments had any material impact on the negotiations, or the eventual outcome. But they didn't help. And they give more ammo to the 'Irsay talks too much' crowd, which works against the Colts in the court of public opinion.

If you think I'm overreacting, you should read the anonymous agent feedback piece on The Athletic. Plenty of 'Ballard is a good GM, but Irsay makes it hard for him to do his job' comments, some specific to the Taylor situation. And even though I think that's overblown, those comments serve as evidence that Irsay's reputation is a factor in the opinion of people around the league.

Eh, I'd be more apt to believe the "Irsay makes it hard for Ballard to do his job" line from anonymous agents, if it didn't line up perfectly with my perception of Ballard as exactly the type to deflect and use someone of Irsay's I'll and specific position to feed agents a line of bull when Ballard is negotiating with said agents. "Geez, I reaaaaallly like your client, and man, I reaaallly want to sign him to that contract at the numbers we discussed, but gosh darn it, that Wily old coot Irsay just won't agree to those numbers"....  I'm almost positive that's a conversation that's been had more than once lol.

4 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

This was dumb and counterproductive.

F2P9EzuWAAAheUI.webp

Not if you are able to separate emotion from business.  I guess some people get really angered and hurt by facts of life?  JT might not love the thought, but do you really think he is offended by the idea that he's as replaceable as everyone else?

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In order to get Herbert we would have had to trade up to #4 because Miami needed a QB at #5 - they took Tua, and the Chargers needed one at #6. They weren't trading their picks. Not only that, Ballard would have needed to be able to read into the future and know without a doubt that Herbert would be good. A lot of if's there.

How's this for hindsight, we could have drafted Josh Allen in 2018 at #6 to back up Luck, at the time nobody was sure that Allen would good to great. Had we even done that, we would've had Allen as our QB for the next decade. Allen went 7th to the Bills.

You continue to offer this response. It's silly.

Yes, the Colts would have needed to get up to #4, and we know that. And yes, it's unknown whether the QB you're targeting will be good. None of that is up for debate. Still, plenty of us wanted Herbert at the time, and wouldn't you know it, he's pretty freaking good.

Second, there's a world of difference between drafting a QB in the first round when you have Andrew Luck, and drafting a QB in the first round when you don't have Andrew Luck. What we did in 2018 doesn't belong in the same conversation as what we did in 2020.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Eh, I'd be more apt to believe the "Irsay makes it hard for Ballard to do his job" line from anonymous agents, if it didn't line up perfectly with my perception of Ballard as exactly the type to deflect and use someone of Irsay's I'll and specific position to feed agents a line of bull when Ballard is negotiating with said agents. "Geez, I reaaaaallly like your client, and man, I reaaallly want to sign him to that contract at the numbers we discussed, but gosh darn it, that Wily old coot Irsay just won't agree to those numbers"....  I'm almost positive that's a conversation that's been had more than once lol.

I doubt that conversation has been had, not sure if you're serious there.

But my point is that this is what some people outside of the organization are saying. I don't think it's totally legit, but those comments from Irsay are an example of things that would be better left unsaid.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the point is the Colts clearly needed a QB when Herbert was on the board (we didn't when Allen was) but Ballard kicked the can down the road which has set off a chain of very unfortunate events for this franchise. Herbert on the Colts may very well have led to his total failure but thats beside the point - if you need a QB you have to get one now, you can't wait until the perfect moment becasue that will never happen.

Just now, Superman said:

I doubt that conversation has been had, not sure if you're serious there.

But my point is that this is what some people outside of the organization are saying. I don't think it's totally legit, but those comments from Irsay are an example of things that would be better left unsaid.

You really don't think Ballard would claim he has his hands tied at any point in negotiations?  Huh, guess we'll just have to disagree on that one.  Interesting.

Just now, Jackie Daytona said:

You really don't think Ballard would claim he has his hands tied at any point in negotiations?  Huh, guess we'll just have to disagree on that one.  Interesting.

Man, the over stating the roster talent level and readiness and ability to compete post Luck was really really big oversight.  I'm not sure I disagreed with Ballard at the time, but it sure hasn't played out in defense of that idea.

7 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Not if you are able to separate emotion from business.  I guess some people get really angered and hurt by facts of life?

You think that in dealing with people's livelihoods, they'll separate emotion from business, so downplaying a star player's concerns and his value like this publicly in an already hot situation is smart? 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

You continue to offer this response. It's silly.

Yes, the Colts would have needed to get up to #4, and we know that. And yes, it's unknown whether the QB you're targeting will be good. None of that is up for debate. Still, plenty of us wanted Herbert at the time, and wouldn't you know it, he's pretty freaking good.

Second, there's a world of difference between drafting a QB in the first round when you have Andrew Luck, and drafting a QB in the first round when you don't have Andrew Luck. What we did in 2018 doesn't belong in the same conversation as what we did in 2020.

Regarding Luck, never said it did, I was just bringing up hindsight. The reason why I keep bringing up my response on this, most GM's would never trade up to 4 from 13 unless they knew a QB was a can't miss. If other GM's that needed a QB thought Herbert was a can't miss, they would have traded up to 4. Not 1 GM did that.

3 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

I think the point is the Colts clearly needed a QB when Herbert was on the board (we didn't when Allen was) but Ballard kicked the can down the road which has set off a chain of very unfortunate events for this franchise. Herbert on the Colts may very well have led to his total failure but thats beside the point - if you need a QB you have to get one now, you can't wait until the perfect moment becasue that will never happen.

I get the point. Had Herbert been a bust, this wouldn't even be a discussion is one of my points. Redskins gave up the farm for RG3 and look at what happened. 49ers for Lance, Bears for Trubisky - didn't work out. More times than not, trading up doesn't land you a franchise QB. You have to be lucky.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I get the point. Had Herbert been a bust, this wouldn't even be a discussion is one of my points. Redskins gave up the farm for RG3 and look at what happened. 49ers for Lance, Bears for Trubisky - didn't work out. More times than not, trading up doesn't land you a franchise QB. You have to be lucky.

On the plus side for SF, it really hasn't affected them all that much. They've still been highly competitive in the NFC with or without Lance. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

On the plus side for SF, it really hasn't affected them all that much. They've still been highly competitive in the NFC with or without Lance. 

They have a great roster luckily. Also Purdy playing out of his mind has helped. Jimmy wasn't as bad as people make him out to be either. Jimmy won a lot of games and made deep playoff runs. I never understood why SF made that silly trade for Lance.