Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Okay, but if you just want to be paid, and the team that's most likely to pay you says in April 'we want to see you healthy,' why can't you show up healthy in July? 

I've thought the ankle is a negotiation tactic all along. Add in the trade request, and it reinforces that belief for me. But there's still a question in my mind, because the questions about the ankle are undermining his market, particularly with the team that would be most likely to offer him the contract he wants.

Unless there is something up with that ankle, maybe Taylor doesn’t trust fully that it won’t cause problems again in a nasty way. Something doesn’t compute here … and at least one theory could be that he really don’t like to play again without guaranteed money, and lots of them…

• Like 2

Just now, RollerColt said:

So was all of that heavy interest coming out earlier this week basically just rumors dumped off by his agent to beat writers?

Sorry, I trust the media, JT and JT's agent as much as I do a door-to-door driveway resurfacing guy with no teeth.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Undoubtedly.

It does make sense. He was trying to get teams to up their value.  Wasn’t getting what he wants on the extension front and colts weren’t getting the draft picks they want. If he ends up playing for colts Ballard was smart because he knew Taylor wouldn’t get what he wanted. Question remains how mad is Taylor. Is he willing to lose  money.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Unless there is something up with that ankle, maybe Taylor doesn’t trust fully that it won’t cause problems again in a nasty way. Something doesn’t compute here … and at least one theory could be that he really don’t like to play again without guaranteed money, and lots of them…

I don't know much about contracts. He is under contract so going on the PUP and  is his way of having a valid excuse to not practice. Maybe hard for the team to challenge him on this at this time. Now if he failed to show up and is not on the PUP does he not incur fines because he is under contract? In short, it was probably smart by him feigning an injury if that is what he is doing. This  will come to a head  will it now as doesn't the team have to make  a decision soon as to leave him on the PUP or take him off and if he is on, doesn't he miss 6 games? 

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

I'm a Colts fan...not a Taylor fan

And if, for example, he is asking for $15 million from the colts but only $12 million from Miami, then screw him regardless of whether or not Colts would match either figure.

How much of that compensation difference shifts due to the tax structure in Florida?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

So was all of that heavy interest coming out earlier this week basically just rumors dumped off by his agent to beat writers?

Oh I think there is definite interest from multiple teams.  No one knows if anything will happen but everyone knows the deadline is Tuesday.  Teams are on the brink of playing their final preseason game.  Ballard knows that.  Teams could have called him and said we’re interested but we need to first get through our final preseason game.  In the meantime we will talk to his agent and get back to you after the weekend.  That seems like a possibility to me.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Boy your distain for Ballard and the Colts can't be denied.

Where is the disdain for Ballard? I don't hate Ballard, but I thoroughly believe he has been  over rated by the media and this board. I am on record saying I will give him a fresh start. I think Taylor and Irsay would be the ones to blame why this went sideways. Taylor is not reading the room and Irsay did not need to get involved.  The GM for the Eagles is elite. He let traded Wentz a couple of years ago and look at them now. We lost Luck what 5 years ago and  look at us now!! I am just saying that when a relationship sours, it usually involves 2 parties. I don't think that is hate, I think that is common sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, stitches said:

I keep seeing Robert Hunt being included in hypothetical trade scenarios with Miami. Why would Miami do this? Why would they be including starters as a contending team. They would be doing this trade because they think they have a relatively complete team and want to go for it right away. They wouldn't just open a bigger hole on their roster to get Taylor. If the Dolphins trade for Taylor IMO the value will be picks plus maybe one of their RBs...

I’m not saying they would, but it’s what I’d demand if I was Ballard. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Some reasonable deals in there:

"Bears get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

2024 second-round pick, 2024 third-rounder, WR Velus Jones Jr.

Don't see Bears looking to make a trade for Taylor.  Poles won't give up draft capital.  You can have Velus Jones Jr for free. WR room is crowded and can't use him for special teams because he can't catch punts. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Where is the disdain for Ballard? I don't hate Ballard, but I thoroughly believe he has been  over rated by the media and this board. I am on record saying I will give him a fresh start. I think Taylor and Irsay would be the ones to blame why this went sideways. Taylor is not reading the room and Irsay did not need to get involved.  The GM for the Eagles is elite. He let traded Wentz a couple of years ago and look at them now. We lost Luck what 5 years ago and  look at us now!! I am just saying that when a relationship sours, it usually involves 2 parties. I don't think that is hate, I think that is common sense.

45-52-1. Some are happier with this than others. 

7 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

If you look at it as just a number with no context, it's easy to not be pleased with it.

Now if you take into account the things that have transpired it seems a little better.

Coach leaves him at alter

Franchise QB retires right before season

Irsay involvement 

There is a lot of teams that wish they were as good as the Colts have been since 2017.

There are 14 teams that have a worse record than the Colts since then.

We are just spoiled by decades of dominance.

Franchises with worse records since Ballard took over Colts:

Falcons

Bears

Bengals 

Raiders 

Panthers

Cardinals

Browns

Commanders

Texans

Lions

Broncos

Jaguars

Giants 

Jets 29-69 record -

So the Colts are sitting at #18 in overall record since 2017(middle of the pack), despite their Franchise QB calling it quits.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, w87r said:

If you look at it as just a number with no context, it's easy to not be pleased with it.

Now if you take into account the things that have transpired it seems a little better.

Coach leaves him at alter

Franchise QB retires right before season

Irsay involvement 

There is a lot of teams that wish they were as good as the Colts have been since 2017.

There are 14 teams that have a worse record than the Colts since then.

We are just spoiled by decades of dominance.

Franchises with worse records since Ballard took over Colts:

Falcons

Bears

Bengals 

Raiders 

Panthers

Cardinals

Browns

Commanders

Texans

Lions

Broncos

Jaguars

Giants 

Jets 29-69 record -

So the Colts are sitting at #18 in overall record since 2017(middle of the pack), despite their Franchise QB calling it quits.

I respect all your points and facts. #18 doesn’t impress me. The Luck excuse is long past played out, in my opinion. I think Ballard is average at his job and an egomaniac, but he is getting a do-over of sorts with a new QB and coach, and maybe the JT situation is a sign he is changing/growing. I do hope he succeeds. 

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So you are comparing the Wentz trade to the Luck retirement? Do you put those two on an even scale as far as talent and an equal loss to both teams? Wow!  

9 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

So you are comparing the Wentz trade to the Luck retirement? Do you put those two on an even scale as far as talent and an equal loss to both teams? Wow!  

Moose with another controversial take, what's new? LOL 

I’ve had a couple of thoughts reading todays posts.

First:   Maybe part of the reason Taylor wants to be paid so bad is for the first time in his life he’s had a series injury and he saw first hand what a major injury did to Marlon Mack when he was about to get his payday and he’s scared of that happening to him.  

Second:  I wonder if a second team has really made an offer for Taylor or if Taylor’s camp knows Miami is the only game in town and they are trying to get Miami to up their offer.  Not unlike when you go to buy a car there is always someone else just in looking at the same car.  It sounds like the Colts aren’t feeling forced to move off their asking price (and nor should they, not trading Taylor won’t hurt them) and Miami doesn’t feel like they HAVE to have Taylor they would just like him so they don’t want to go above their offer.  If that’s the case a deal isn’t going to get done unless something can force someone to move so if Taylor really wants out of Indy his best hope is to try to make Miami panic and over bid.

From what I’ve heard about the Miami GM he’s like Ballard in that he’s not going to move on his price.  So I don’t think Taylor is going to get traded.  Then Taylor has a choice to make.  Play and have a great season and hope the Colts or someone else gives him what he wants or sit out and see him have zero value next off-season.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I'm saying that the Eagles GM had to start over after trading Wentz. Different situation but both GMs had to start over.  Instead of using the exscuse, as Ballard did, that the media would run him out of town if he picked the wrong guy; he got his guy!!!

3 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Come on man!! It's Frank's fault and if we end up picking in the top 5 it  is because of our rookie qb. I just thought Ballard amassed such premium talent that even Brock Osweiler could win a superbowl with Indy?

3 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I wonder if Ballard is even safe after this year? I truly believe Steichen signed off on Richardson. That was more on him than Ballard. Let's say Richardson balls out and shows he is the future, but no players from Ballard's  recent drafts show they are quality players. U never know, Steichen may take over if he has shown Irsay that he knows what he is doing. I mean, why would the Colts need Ballard if Steichen was the reason for their success and Ballard's drafts netted nothing tangible. Their could be a power struggle if Steichen wanted more control, and I think Steichen easily wins. Steichen could also be eyeing someone from the Philly organization that he covets. I'm just saying.

26 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I wonder if Ballard is even safe after this year? I truly believe Steichen signed off on Richardson. That was more on him than Ballard. Let's say Richardson balls out and shows he is the future, but no players from Ballard's  recent drafts show they are quality players. U never know, Steichen may take over if he has shown Irsay that he knows what he is doing. I mean, why would the Colts need Ballard if Steichen was the reason for their success and Ballard's drafts netted nothing tangible. Their could be a power struggle if Steichen wanted more control, and I think Steichen easily wins. Steichen could also be eyeing someone from the Philly organization that he covets. I'm just saying.

Steichen hasn't even won one game as a head coach and you have him already running the Colts.  You need a reality check. 

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I'm saying that the Eagles GM had to start over after trading Wentz. Different situation but both GMs had to start over.  Instead of using the exscuse, as Ballard did, that the media would run him out of town if he picked the wrong guy; he got his guy!!!

Dude? 

Wentz was traded by the Commanders, not the Eagles. 

You are so busy making arguments you can't even keep your teams straight. 

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

No one used the words "Elite" and "Howie Roseman" In the same paragraph for a long, long, time.....that's only recently.

Wow

48 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Dude? 

Dude......

Come on man!! It's Frank's fault and if we end up picking in the top 5 it  is because of our rookie qb. I just thought Ballard amassed such premium talent that even Brock Osweiler could win a superbowl with Indy?

What's up Dan? Lol

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Steichen hasn't even won one game as a head coach and you have him already running the Colts.  You need a reality check. 

Really!?!?!. My point is that I don't think Ballard is safe if this roster does not perform, they have a horrible season with a weak schedule and Richardson was one of the few bright spots. 

12 hours ago, w87r said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jonathan-taylor-trade-rumors-five-potential-proposals-for-disgruntled-colts-running-back/amp/

Some reasonable deals in there:

"Bears get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

2024 second-round pick, 2024 third-rounder, WR Velus Jones Jr.

Cardinals get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

2024 second-round pick, 2024 third-rounder, RB James Conner

Dolphins get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

2024 second-round pick, 2025 second-rounder, RB Raheem Mostert, WR Cedrick Wilson Jr.

Eagles get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

2024 second-round pick, RB Rashaad Penny, WR Quez Watkins

Panthers get:

RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts get:

2024 second-round pick, 2025 conditional second-rounder, RB Miles Sanders"

If those were the options, which one do you choose?

I'm going with Carolina.

Out of that group I would think dolphins or eagles would be the ones to wind up with JT. 

I don't think all this that's going on will be for lower teams like the cards, bears, or panthers to get him. 

Personally, I hope a deal isn't done regardless of the compensation. But I doubt the colts will keep him. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

No one used the words "Elite" and "Howie Roseman" In the same paragraph for a long, long, time.....that's only recently.

That's true after the Nick Foles Super Bowl they had a couple really bad years when it came to draft picks, free agent moves and contracts (aka Alshon Jeffrey). There were a lot of people calling for him to be fired the year they fired Doug Pederson, but he turned things around eventually.

9 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Drugs Meowwolf GIF by PIZZA PALS PLAYZONE

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Dude? 

Wentz went from the Eagles to Colts to Redskins(commanders whatever) . He was traded by multiple teams

Just now, Smonroe said:

Nice. As he said, you can only play against the guys they put out there.  Going to be interesting to see how he does against the #1s.  

Darn, a healthy JT behind he and Q with AR holding the eyes of the LBs…lethal.  If only…

Looking more and more, like Taylor will be lacing them up for the Colts this year.

Rest easy.

I don't see a deal happening, Ballard isn't going to take a crap offer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I hope you’re right, and I also hope you’re right in your earlier post.  With backups holding down the RG spot until Smith can kick inside, if Freeland develops.  

That would certainly go along with the second part of SS’s mantra - run to win.

I just don't see Taylor sitting out. He knows he has to get back in the field to get max money(whatever that number is anymore), moving forward.

I imagine the Colts, if they don't trade him, will give him $2-3m in incentives this season.

$1m - Top 5 in rushing yards

$1m - 12-15 touchdowns

$500k if we win division/ or make the playoffs

$500k in active game day bonuses(around $30k a game)

That should be good enough to get him back out there, once he realizes there isn't a great market.

I don't know if they can hold down the RG spot, I still imagine Ballard adds some to the group, in next 2-3 days.

• Like 2