Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

From The Athletic: “After the Twitter spat between Kawa and Irsay, Taylor stood on the sideline of the Colts’ indoor practice facility with the hoodie on his sweatshirt pulled over his head and his eyes staring straight forward. Steichen tried to downplay the awkwardness, but the tension was almost palpable. Taylor’s face remained stoic for nearly all of the Colts’ second training camp practice, which had been moved inside due to inclement weather. He hardly interacted with his teammates and watched silently as the other running backs took the reps he usually gets.” 

1 minute ago, ShuteAt168 said:

From The Athletic: “After the Twitter spat between Kawa and Irsay, Taylor stood on the sideline of the Colts’ indoor practice facility with the hoodie on his sweatshirt pulled over his head and his eyes staring straight forward. Steichen tried to downplay the awkwardness, but the tension was almost palpable. Taylor’s face remained stoic for nearly all of the Colts’ second training camp practice, which had been moved inside due to inclement weather. He hardly interacted with his teammates and watched silently as the other running backs took the reps he usually gets.” 

It is his own fault. Act like a 12 year old, you will get treated like one.

• Like 8

I hope JT pulls his head out of a certain orifice soon. We're better with him than without him. I'm not so sure about just plugging in any running back as though it were that easy.

Of course, this may just be my PTSD from Trent Richardson speaking...

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Taylor might end up so embarrassed he just will ask to be traded without a long term deal from another team. I would be embarrassed to show my face again with this team.

He can ask for whatever he wants.  He has no leverage to make it happen.  That team is still going to have to satisfy the Colts asking price.  The Colts aren’t going to just give Taylor away even if they are open to trading him which to this point they have said they aren’t.  Also, all the reports seem to be saying no team seems willing to even make an offer for Taylor.  So at some point I think Taylor is going to realize his only option to play football this season is going to be with the Colts.  So unless he’s prepared to lose a year of pay and still be in this position next summer I think he’s going to suit and play at some point.  

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm guessing this would be the highest offer if any. I don't see us getting a 1st for him. Maybe a player for player swap for a CB.

Which is why he’s not going to get traded.  Even if the Colts would be willing to consider trading him no one is going to match their asking price in all likely hood.  The word around the league is that any offer for him would be minimal and no where worth the talent Taylor is.  The Colts don’t have to trade him so I doubt they will.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Problem is I don’t think anyone is going to be interested in trading for him right now. If I’m a franchise I just wait for him to sit all season and then pick him up next year. Why use any capital?

Yes, no takers for JT makes it easier for Irsay to say "we're not trading him".

However, a team like BUF or NYJ could see his remaining $4.3M base salary for this one year as a cheap way to get explosiveness in the backfield for a playoff/SB run. 

For a 3rd in 2024 and 3rd in 2025?   That would seem like easy draft picks to give up for teams that have a pretty loaded roster already. 

Would JT play for a new team, without a new contract?

At this point is the sticking point playing for the Colts, or not having a new contract.  I didn't read where he demanded a trade AND a new contract from the new team, but that might be implied.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm guessing this would be the highest offer if any. I don't see us getting a 1st for him. Maybe a player for player swap for a CB.

Oh I know.  But it’s time to quash this crap. No team will trade more than a 4th at best but my asking price gonna be two 1s. A price that high, quashes it

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

That seems like a big unhealthy distraction.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Which is why he’s not going to get traded.  Even if the Colts would be willing to consider trading him no one is going to match their asking price in all likely hood.  The word around the league is that any offer for him would be minimal and no where worth the talent Taylor is.  The Colts don’t have to trade him so I doubt they will.

I don't want to give Taylor the satisfaction of trading him and doing what he wants, but I also don't want to punish the team by having him sit out and let him go for nothing. There's a thin line in what to do here IMO. I'd preferably trade him for a starting CB, but I don't know if something like that is possible.

• Like 1

Just now, AKB said:

JT should just play, prove himself, then test the market. 

none of this makes a lot of sense, his agent is misleading him majorly imo

He might not get a chance to test the market.  If he performs like he did two years ago I can almost guarantee the Colts will franchise tag him which he doesn’t want either.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

He might not get a chance to test the market.  If he performs like he did two years ago I can almost guarantee the Colts will franchise tag him which he doesn’t want either.

My guess this sorted within a week 

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't want to give Taylor the satisfaction of trading him and doing what he wants, but I also don't want to punish the team by having him sit out and let him go for nothing. There's a thin line in what to do here IMO. I'd preferably trade him for a starting CB, but I don't know if something like that is possible.

Actually, I dont think it punishes the team by having him there. 

Just now, King Colt said:

Watching the NFL Network this Sunday JT & Irsay were in the Colts trailer talking contract. Ian Rappaport sounded mostly negative about the extension question.

A RB coming off a major injury, the Colts would be crazy to sign him to a big deal.   Taylor needs to get a grip on reality.

• Like 3

Just now, csmopar said:

Actually, I dont think it punishes the team by having him there. 

It takes away a top 10 rb from the team (regardless if the position is valued highly). He still would be heavily useful to Richardson. Not sure how much I trust a "rb by committee" with Moss, Hull, and Jackson if that's what it comes down too. I get Steichen did it in Philly, I just don't think this RB trio (without Taylor) is as talented as the Phully RB trio last year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It is also sad colts havent even offered him after carrying this team for two years. I don’t think either side has handled this well.

He didn’t carry the team last year, beyond maybe 2 games. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

confused schitts creek GIF by CBC= Jackie, a lot of people of people seem to love that Emoji. They are dazed and confused but don't explain way. Others do that and the Sad face but don't follow it up with anything, that is where I get confused. The confusing is so confusing.  Confused Kevin James GIF by TV Land

My thought exactly. Many don't explain why they reacted with the confused or sad option. Others like to use the HaHa reaction to make fun of a post. I choose it when I think a post is funny.

Anyway, back to JT, I think Ballard needs to take control of the matter and put an end to this distraction.

• Like 3

Just now, NFLfan said:

My thought exactly. Many don't explain why they reacted with the confused or sad option. Others like to use the HaHa reaction to make fun of a post. I choose it when I think a post is funny.

Anyway, back to JT, I think Ballard needs to take control of the matter and put an end to this distraction.

When I laugh, it is almost always because I think something is funny. Most know that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The Colts have made their position clear.  It’s up to Taylor now.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It takes away a top 10 rb from the team (regardless if the position is valued highly). He still would be heavily useful to Richardson. Not sure how much I trust a "rb by committee" with Moss, Hull, and Jackson if that's what it comes down too. I get Steichen did it in Philly, I just don't think this RB trio (without Taylor) is as talented as the Phully RB trio last year.

Moss hull and Jackson may only work if Richardson runs alot like rg3 and Lamar jackson

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It is also sad colts havent even offered him after carrying this team for two years. I don’t think either side has handled this well.

The Colts haven’t said they won’t offer him a contract.  They have just said not right now which is the smart thing to do.  If Taylor had had another season like his 2021 season last year things would be different but he didn’t.  The Colts are smart to see if he returns to form before making a contract offer to him.  If Taylor is unproductive this year then the smart thing to do might very well be to let him walk.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

What do you want him to do?

Just put an end to this. Have a talk with JT to make it known that regardless of his demands, he will not be traded. What would satisfy him and the team?  If he refused to practice, send him home until he is ready to practice. If he is physically unable to practice (PUP), what is the point of staying in camp?

• Like 1

Just now, NFLfan said:

Just put an end to this. Have a talk with JT to make it known that regardless of his demands, he will not be traded. What does he want?  If he refused to practice, send him home until he is ready to practice. If he is physically unable to practice (PUP), what is the point of staying in camp?

Irsay did that last night.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Irsay did that last night.

I know. I think that is why he needs to hear that from the GM and his coach. He does not feel valued. What can be done to make him feel valued enough to want to play again? I do think his agent is not helping the situation.

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Teams all around the league are dealing with player issues.  Now we have one with JT.  I agree Ballard needs to take control and put an end to it.  I just don't see this becoming a long distraction.  He accommodated Gilmore and Hines.  I think he finds a way.  I'm not expecting much if he's traded.  

• Like 1

Just now, NFLfan said:

I know. I think that is why he needs to hear that from the GM and his coach. He does not feel valued. What can be done to make him feel valued enough to want to play again? I do think his agent is not helping the situation.

Well if you ask him a new contract.  The Colts are saying no.  That’s why they are at an in-pass.  Ballard talked to Taylor when he first got to camp.  I am sure Shane has as well.  The Colts can’t make him accept he’s not going to get what he wants so all they can do is wait it out like the rest of us.

• Like 1

I honestly didn’t see any of this happening with JT. In every interview he was always the team player guy that never seemed to care about fame or getting more money. He just wanted to win. It just goes to show that the people you surround yourself with can seriously change your mindset. I’m fairly certain that some agents believe their entire job is to poison a player’s mind. 

This is a difficult gap to cross though. Whether he sits, stinks, or plays amazing this year, I don’t see him being here much longer after that. How quickly things can change.

Just now, NFLfan said:

Just put an end to this. Have a talk with JT to make it known that regardless of his demands, he will not be traded. What does he want?  If he refused to practice, send him home until he is ready to practice. If he is physically unable to practice (PUP), what is the point of staying in camp?

Pretty sure the bolded has been handled.

Told not getting traded

Not getting extension

I suspect they let it play out a little longer. If he continues to stand over there looking sad, being a big distraction, send him home.

I think this will come to a head sooner than later. He knows he isn't getting a deal or traded.

Gonna have to make a decision

I'm sure everyone else on PUP is at camp.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I think that is why he needs to hear that from the GM and his coach.

You don't think they have talked to him?

He been told we want him here and that we always take care of our own. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well if you ask him a new contract.  The Colts are saying no.  That’s why they are at an in-pass.  Ballard talked to Taylor when he first got to camp.  I am sure Shane has as well.  The Colts can’t make him accept he’s not going to get what he wants so all they can do is wait it out like the rest of us.

Can there be a compromise?

The Vikings have a player, D. Hunter, who was in the same situation -- he was in camp this month but not practicing. He was under contract for this last year of a long term deal. This weekend, he was given a new one-year contract that works for him and the team. He wanted a long-term deal which the GM was not ready to give. So, to compromise, Hunter was given a deal and will make more money this year. He can sign with any team, including us, next year. If he leaves we get a 3rd round comp pick. It works for player and team.

The Colts are better with JT than without him and definitely without the distraction.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Yes, no takers for JT makes it easier for Irsay to say "we're not trading him".

However, a team like BUF or NYJ could see his remaining $4.3M base salary for this one year as a cheap way to get explosiveness in the backfield for a playoff/SB run. 

For a 3rd in 2024 and 3rd in 2025?   That would seem like easy draft picks to give up for teams that have a pretty loaded roster already. 

Would JT play for a new team, without a new contract?

At this point is the sticking point playing for the Colts, or not having a new contract.  I didn't read where he demanded a trade AND a new contract from the new team, but that might be implied.

I would think that JT would want a deal made for an extension before even playing regardless for which team he’s on. Otherwise why wouldn’t he just play out the rest of his current contact with us? Feels like he’s wanting a guaranteed deal made because he’s worried he’s not the same or still injured…

• Like 1