Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AR vs Young vs Stroud vs Levis

csmopar

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, pre-draft I had Young and Stroud even. Then I had AR and Levis even.

Like:

1a Young

1b Stroud

then AR and Levis after that. I wanted AR once Stroud was gone. For all I know though, Levis might end up being better. He impressed me vs the Falcons.

That is what the thread is for. Let's see how they play the rest of the year.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I didn't watch the game that closely,  so I can't tell you exactly. 

He did have some throws in the final drive that could have been picks if the defender made a better play.   That drive was also aided by a 4th down defensive holding call that extended the drive

overall it was a desperation drive.  It’s one thing if teams are in a shootout and each has scored 5 touchdowns. You kind of expect a better drive with  1:50 left.  

But both teams played old school football. Out of necessity really.  Either team lighting it up in the last 4 minutes seemed pretty remote   Levis was slinging it kinda wildly because of the situation.  But also made some damm nice plays along the way.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He did have some throws in the final drive that could have been picks if the defender made a better play.   That drive was also aided by a 4th down defensive holding call that extended the drive

those things happen to every qb in every game, there are defenders on the field that are there for a reason. 

• Like 1

I’m not crowning anyone from this class a Star or a bust until at year 3 but so far, all 4 are looking serviceable at QB. Which honestly, is a pleasant surprise to me as I honestly thought none of the top 4 would amount to crap. That said, when it comes to who is the best of these 4, too early to tell. Wished AR was healthy as we’d have a better idea

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m not crowning anyone from this class a Star or a bust until at year 3 but so far, all 4 are looking serviceable at QB. Which honestly, is a pleasant surprise to me as I honestly thought none of the top 4 would amount to crap. That said, when it comes to who is the best of these 4, too early to tell. Wished AR was healthy as we’d have a better idea

Well said. :applause:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

@AKB  We can start a different one next year. It is hard to look through hundreds of pages of posts. If there is one per season, it may work better.

yes, that's completely understandable.

i was just thinking if they are all in the division for years, theoretically, this conversation will last for years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

The voice of reason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Wished AR was healthy as we’d have a better idea

So do I.  And that's the problem here.  That he was clearly a guy who would need to run to move the chains year one.  He's a high end development project so personally I am very unhappy with the Colts for putting him out there early on and risking his future.  They should have started the season with him on the bench and made him earn his way by mastering the offense while he works on mechanics and accuracy.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

So do I.  And that's the problem here.  That he was clearly a guy who would need to run to move the chains year one.  He's a high end development project so personally I am very unhappy with the Colts for putting him out there early on and risking his future.  They should have started the season with him on the bench and made him earn his way by mastering the offense while he works on mechanics and accuracy.

I disagree. I think he had to start. And while he’s hurt and done for the year, I think this will further convince him to stop playing like he could in highschool. He said in multiple pressers that he want to be more of a pocket passer than a read option QB for longevity reasons. So I think this will further motivate him to elevate himself 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@AKB  We can start a different one next year. It is hard to look through hundreds of pages of posts. If there is one per season, it may work better.

Nah. I’d keep it open and running. Then we can all look back and see how awesome or not awesome the comments regarding each of these young men are in two years time… 

33 minutes ago, AKB said:

yes, that's completely understandable.

i was just thinking if they are all in the division for years, theoretically, this conversation will last for years. 

And why is that a bad thing? That’s pretty much the entire point 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boondoggle said:

Good post and basically summarizes my frustration with how AR was used this year and him getting hurt.

I didn’t necessarily have a problem with him starting.  However, it seems to me, as a fan, there was not a properly thought out plan on how to use his playing time this year to properly advance his development.  

For instance, It’s a little disappointed that more caution was not used with putting him in read option situations considering the injuries that occurred with those plays in the games he did play

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

See, now that is what I call a great game by a QB. Stroud, 470 Yards/5 TD's/0 INTs/Game winning drive! 

That's  why stroud was top of list for me with Richardson  second. If texans improve  defense  and get a running  game they will be tough  to beat

• Like 1

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

I disagree. I think he had to start. And while he’s hurt and done for the year, I think this will further convince him to stop playing like he could in highschool. He said in multiple pressers that he want to be more of a pocket passer than a read option QB for longevity reasons. So I think this will further motivate him to elevate himself 

The narrative is wrong bout him playing like a he did in high-school. U look at those plays he was hurt on. They were not devastating hits and just football plays. If he continues to get hurt at the rate he has been on those type of plays,  then it is time to move on.

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

overall it was a desperation drive.  It’s one thing if teams are in a shootout and each has scored 5 touchdowns. You kind of expect a better drive with  1:50 left.  

But both teams played old school football. Out of necessity really.  Either team lighting it up in the last 4 minutes seemed pretty remote   Levis was slinging it kinda wildly because of the situation.  But also made some damm nice plays along the way.  

I said he made some nice throws as well, not sure why I was being singled out by the other poster because I said he also had some questionable throws. I thought he played pretty well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

That's all a bit too idealistic for me.  Hope he can learn to win from the pocket and improve his accuracy and decision making because he's a hell of a talent.  But we'll see how he looks next year after another camp.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Welp my predraft thoughts of :

Stroud 1a

Levis 1b

Young; No

AR: Incomplete

is looking pretty solid at the moment.

People are going to dump on Frank, but Young was a front office pick. I just remember Frank standing around Young pre-draft and he almost look disinterested lol. No way will anyone convince me Young was his guy. I called Young mini Mahommes. However, I didn't think he had the arm strength to make those same plays where he was scrambling on the run in the NFL. Defensive players are faster and u need to have Allen, Mahommes and Richardson arm strength to continually make those plays

• Like 1

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

I have heard that from every rookie qb that is a better runner than passer. It’s rare that it happens. He may be the rare exception.