Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AR vs Young vs Stroud vs Levis

csmopar

On 12/4/2023 at 4:44 PM, NewColtsFan said:

There’s nothing his father can do, especially if the Colts are picking in the bottom half of the first round.   

I would hope Harrison Sr wouldn’t get badly tangled up with Harrison Jr.   It would be a terrible look. 

does someone need to enter the draft to play in the NFL? can they play as a walk on , or try out for a team?

1 hour ago, conklincolt said:

does someone need to enter the draft to play in the NFL? can they play as a walk on , or try out for a team?

They need to submit their name for the draft if they wish to be drafted.  Of course there is criteria for the person to meet as far as eligibility.  

If they don’t care about getting drafted,  they can still attend free agent try out camps hoping to get an invite.   This a a somewhat broad over simplification.  Your question, a good one, is a bit more complicated than one might expect.  

On 12/4/2023 at 12:57 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Hey, I hate the whole NIL situation.   I oppose it.   I think it’s ruined college football for every college outside the top-30.   That means roughly 100 schools are getting screwed because they can’t compete with the top schools for $$$$$

A real shame.  

I don't know much about college football, but I'm pretty sure the top tier players were getting compensated by the top programs under the table anyways. It's nice that it's official now (and it's not like the same 20 some teams didn't dominate before NIL)

29 minutes ago, colts89 said:

I don't know much about college football, but I'm pretty sure the top tier players were getting compensated by the top programs under the table anyways. It's nice that it's official now (and it's not like the same 20 some teams didn't dominate before NIL)

The difference is this….  

Once upon a time a player might get a few thousand.   Maybe tens of thousands.   In rare cases a special player might get six figures under the table.   

Now?  

Because of the NIL process kids can now get Millions.   And it’s legal.   That’s a huge difference.   Everything has become much bigger and harder for smaller schools to compete.  

8 hours ago, conklincolt said:

I am pretty sure the answer is yes, they have to enter the draft to play in the NFL. If they enter the draft and do not get drafted, then they can sign as an undrafted free agent which is like being a walk-on. There is also a supplemental draft for those players who were not able to enter the draft for whatever reason. 

I believe you are asking if Marvin Harrison Jr can skip the draft and sign with any team he wants. The answer is No.

• Thanks 1

Right now... the Texans look scary going forward considering how well CJ Stroud has played.

B. Young might be the Ryan Leaf of this draft, while Anthony Richardson is one huge question mark 😕

I fear that the Texans have a super star in the making in CJ Stroud and right now, he's clearly the best QB in the AFC South.

Jennifer Lawrence is second, and AR 3rd.

But damn he looks good and with DeMeco Ryans as their coach and how well he's done it so far, the Texans are headed to a super bowl within the next 3-5 years IF they can continue to improve and strengthen their roster.

Furthermore the Texans are in a great position, as they have a rookie QB and going into 2024 they have a staggering $85 million dollars in cap space, which could catapult them into a true contender for a super bowl.

The Colts will have $89 million dollars in cap space in 2024, but with Ryan Grigson... sorry I mean Chris Ballard as the GM, I don't think we will spend big money in free agency and we have a ton of needs that has to be fixed if we want to challenge the  texans next season.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Right now... the Texans look scary going forward considering how well CJ Stroud has played.

B. Young might be the Ryan Leaf of this draft, while Anthony Richardson is one huge question mark 😕

I fear that the Texans have a super star in the making in CJ Stroud and right now, he's clearly the best QB in the AFC South.

Jennifer Lawrence is second, and AR 3rd.

But damn he looks good and with DeMeco Ryans as their coach and how well he's done it so far, the Texans are headed to a super bowl within the next 3-5 years IF they can continue to improve and strengthen their roster.

Furthermore the Texans are in a great position, as they have a rookie QB and going into 2024 they have a staggering $85 million dollars in cap space, which could catapult them into a true contender for a super bowl.

The Colts will have $89 million dollars in cap space in 2024, but with Ryan Grigson... sorry I mean Chris Ballard as the GM, I don't think we will spend big money in free agency and we have a ton of needs that has to be fixed if we want to challenge the  texans next season.

Texans are definitely scary.  I think them along with the jags, the afc south will be a tough division for the next 10 years.  Given the GMs do a good job of building their teams.

i think Bryce will be ok.  He does not have the support he needs on a talent and coaching level, and maybe owner level.  Just like any qb, he needs a system that will fit him.  Since he’s small, RPOs and getting him to use his legs and move the pocket (ex. Russel Wilson) would work best.  But he had Reich as a HC and they did none of that.  And I think from AR showed in his few games he’s no longer a question mark, at least regarding talent.  His question would be his health due to his play style.  But I think Shane will get him right.

Regarding Stroud vs AR, I think it’s 1a 1b.  If they both reach their ceilings, they will both be productive.  Strouds throwing and ARs playmaking I feel will cancel each other out.  It will come down to which team is better at putting talent around their QB.

Hopefully now that we have our QB, Ballard will use the capital we have to get AR more help.  And honestly, it’s doable.  We’re the second youngest team in the league so we don’t have that much money tied up.  Resign key players like Moore and Pittman, abuse the rest to try and fill prime positions of need like WR and DE, and then use the draft to try and grab more starters and continue to fill out our depth.

i will say, after many years of being looked down upon, the afc south will be entertaining for a while.  This year has been a good preview.  And that’s with one of the young stars out and the other only playing 6 games.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2023 at 12:55 PM, smittywerb said:

i will say, after many years of being looked down upon, the afc south will be entertaining for a while.  This year has been a good preview.  And that’s with one of the young stars out and the other only playing 6 games.

The AFC south will be very competitive the next decade, if CJ Stroud, Jennifer Lawrence and Anthony Richardson can stay healthy.

When looking at it, the AFC South might be the division where you will find the best QB group, if looking at how many good QB´s each division have.

Ranking the best QB group in each division right now....  the AFC North with Burrow and Lamar might be the best, with the NFC East second, then the AFC East at third.

But if AR comes back healthy and get's going and the colts win games... the AFC South is have three very talented QB´s, which no other division looks to have right now. 

In my time as a colts fan which is about 25 years ago, when I started watching the NFL and fell in love with the colts and Peyton Manning, I would say that this is the first time, the AFC South has been so loaded on the QB position.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, husker61 said:

Just watched the last game on nfl network. I thought Levis played very good, and still think he is better than Richardson as of now from what I have seen. Some have said he was bad, I don’t know what they were watching. 

Richardson is def not head and shoulders above Levis.

AR and Steichen has do figure out how he can stay on the field. 

I hope AR comes back and have learned from his first 4 games and this "season" but tbh... I fear we have drafted Mr. Glass 😕 

• Like 2

Stroud deserves all the accolades he is getting.  The kid is tough and makes throws that give his team a chance every game.  But I'd slow that roll on fitting him for a Hall of Fame bust.

First off Bobby Slowik was a fantastic hire.  Kind of hire you can't hold on to in this league.  So this offseason what is going to happen is he'll almost surely get a head coaching gig and Ryans will need to hire a replacement.  And chances are the quality of the gameplanning is going to dip.  This will put more pressure on Stroud to function with more chaos on gameday and overcoming it and his inexperience will show more.  From there how does he handle it.

Again he's a quality pick and they're being rewarded for taking him.  But there's examples of QBs showing well early and tailing off.  Being a starting QB in the NFL is a major grind.  It requires resiliency that not all players have.  Does Stroud have that, we'll see.  Just like we'll see if AR has it.  Even after next season the story still won't be written in ink either.  You probably need to look at a QB after 3-5 years to really have a feel for who he is.  So as impressed as I am with Stroud I don't think he's the guaranteed top guy from this draft let alone in the division.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boondoggle said:

Again he's a quality pick and they're being rewarded for taking him.  But there's examples of QBs showing well early and tailing off.  Being a starting QB in the NFL is a major grind.  It requires resiliency that not all players have.  Does Stroud have that, we'll see.  Just like we'll see if AR has it.  Even after next season the story still won't be written in ink either.  You probably need to look at a QB after 3-5 years to really have a feel for who he is.  So as impressed as I am with Stroud I don't think he's the guaranteed top guy from this draft let alone in the division.

Not a guarantee, but as close as it gets to one at this time.   I would trade AR and others for him now.

15 hours ago, husker61 said:

Just watched the last game on nfl network. I thought Levis played very good, and still think he is better than Richardson as of now from what I have seen. Some have said he was bad, I don’t know what they were watching. 

You thought Levis was VERY good against the Colts last week?  In what way?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, husker61 said:

I will go to say he has been bad to very bad outside his first game against the Falcons. He's shown the same inability to see/avoid pass rush that he had in college. He has had a low completion rate even though averaging under 7 Yards Per Pass Attempt. Which as someone who is more of a pure passer you can't have both.

While Richardson has also had a low completion rate, and similar stats passing, he has had great pass rush awareness and has been able to do a lot with his legs that Levis is incapable of doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

You thought Levis was VERY good against the Colts last week?  In what way?

I didn’t see any bad mistakes that he made and made some really nice throws down field. He stayed in the pocket looking for a receiver unlike minshew that has happy feet. He reminds me of Andrew lucks first year, but has a higher completion percentage and much better td to interception percentage. I think if he played for the colts, everyone here would be saying the same thing! I like pocket passers and I think most here did also until the colts drafted Richardson. That’s kind of funny to me. 

7 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I will go to say he has been bad to very bad outside his first game against the Falcons. He's shown the same inability to see/avoid pass rush that he had in college. He has had a low completion rate even though averaging under 7 Yards Per Pass Attempt. Which as someone who is more of a pure passer you can't have both.

While Richardson has also had a low completion rate, and similar stats passing, he has had great pass rush awareness and has been able to do a lot with his legs that Levis is incapable of doing.

the tenn line is terrible, that’s not on the qb. He isn’t a running qb and I don’t think the Tenn coaches want him to be one. Andrew lucks completion rate was less, about the same yards per pass attempt, and much worse td to interception rate.

lets not confuse pass rush awareness with a first instinct to run, that Richardson has any I don’t think it is a good thing!

1 hour ago, husker61 said:

the tenn line is terrible, that’s not on the qb. He isn’t a running qb and I don’t think the Tenn coaches want him to be one. Andrew lucks completion rate was less, about the same yards per pass attempt, and much worse td to interception rate.

lets not confuse pass rush awareness with a first instinct to run, that Richardson has any I don’t think it is a good thing!

Did you see Levis in college, it's literally the same problem, Andrew Luck also had 4,000 yards and if I remember right is one of the only QB to take the worst team in the league to the playoffs the following year. Not to mention Vick Ballard was his RB not Derrick Henry. There is no comparison between Luck and Levis. 

and come on man that's just a terrible take on Richardson, like Richardson has faults talk about those instead of making it up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2023 at 12:20 AM, NewColtsFan said:

The difference is this….  

Once upon a time a player might get a few thousand.   Maybe tens of thousands.   In rare cases a special player might get six figures under the table.   

Now?  

Because of the NIL process kids can now get Millions.   And it’s legal.   That’s a huge difference.   Everything has become much bigger and harder for smaller schools to compete.  

Not to mention a lot of them don’t have the financial maturity to handle all of that money. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Did you see Levis in college, it's literally the same problem, Andrew Luck also had 4,000 yards and if I remember right is one of the only QB to take the worst team in the league to the playoffs the following year. Not to mention Vick Ballard was his RB not Derrick Henry. There is no comparison between Luck and Levis. 

and come on man that's just a terrible take on Richardson, like Richardson has faults talk about those instead of making it up.

Luck:

54.1 comp% 

16 games 4,374 yards

7 ypp 

23 td

18 int

41 sacks

Levis:

57.8 comp%

6 1,266 (3,376 over 16 games)

6.8 ypp 

7 td

2 int

19 sacks

doesn’t look like much of a difference to me. Luck would have played a last place schedule. The colts were only the worst team because manning got hurt, they were pretty good the year before with manning so there was qb friendly players there for lucks first year. 

richardsons instincts are to run before staying in the pocket and making multiple reads. Levis is to stay in the pocket and go through all the reads. I could care less what any player did in college once they are playing in the nfl, that’s all that matters! 

6 minutes ago, husker61 said:

Luck:

54.1 comp% 

16 games 4,374 yards

7 ypp 

23 td

18 int

41 sacks

Levis:

57.8 comp%

6.8 ypp 

7 td

2 int

19 sacks

doesn’t look like much of a difference to me. Luck would have played a last place schedule. The colts were only the worst team because manning got hurt, they were pretty good the year before with manning so there was qb friendly players there for lucks first year. 

richardsons instincts are to run before staying in the pocket and making multiple reads. Levis is to stay in the pocket and go through all the reads. I could care less what any player did in college once they are playing in the nfl, that’s all that matters! 

I’d recommend watching Richardson’s tape from the games he played this season. You’ll see he doesn’t just bail the pocket and run. A lot of the plays where he runs are designed and intentional. He has plenty of moments where he stays in the pocket and even makes some fairly advanced reads for a rookie. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

richardsons instincts are to run before staying in the pocket and making multiple reads.

I did not see that in his play in the NFL. (In college, maybe, but not in the NFL.)

I could care less what any player did in college once they are playing in the nfl, that’s all that matters!

Exactly. Watch Richardson's play in the NFL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, husker61 said:

Luck:

54.1 comp% 

16 games 4,374 yards

7 ypp 

23 td

18 int

41 sacks

Levis:

57.8 comp%

6.8 ypp 

7 td

2 int

19 sacks

There is a difference in those stats but if you can't see it then we have nothing left to talk about. aside from stats just look at that 2012 team that luck got into the playoffs.... They had no business winning as many games as they did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My personal opinion is as follows:

Stroud is him of this draft class.  Dude is a stud and is going to be a headache for years to come.

AR and Levis have both showed flashes to give their teams hope but you need to see more from both.

Young looks like he’s not ready for the NFL and if I were a Panthers fan I’d be very concerned.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

A bit difficult to watch Richardson when hes always injured 😕

Well, I believe something like two thirds of the starting QBs have missed time this year and about a third are out for the season. Richardson is not the only one.

• Like 3

On 12/9/2023 at 5:17 PM, husker61 said:

Luck:

54.1 comp% 

16 games 4,374 yards

7 ypp 

23 td

18 int

41 sacks

Levis:

57.8 comp%

6.8 ypp 

7 td

2 int

19 sacks

You obviously didn't watch AR when he did play this year. If you did, you obviously know nothing about football. AR went through his reads and looked good doing it. But, if you're a Cornhusker fan, I'll give you a pass..... You've never seen real football .

On 12/9/2023 at 5:17 PM, husker61 said:

Luck:

54.1 comp% 

16 games 4,374 yards

7 ypp 

23 td

18 int

41 sacks

Levis:

57.8 comp%

6.8 ypp 

7 td

2 int

19 sacks

doesn’t look like much of a difference to me. Luck would have played a last place schedule.  The colts were only the worst team because manning got hurt, they were pretty good the year before with manning so there was qb friendly players there for lucks first year. 

On 12/9/2023 at 8:30 PM, Zoltan said:

There is a difference in those stats but if you can't see it then we have nothing left to talk about. aside from stats just look at that 2012 team that luck got into the playoffs.... They had no business winning as many games as they did.

LOL.  To you and all of the folks who liked your post, Husker is actually correct.

As far as the passing stats...which was huskers point and not moving the goal posts into talking about playoffs.....the difference is that Luck had a MUCH BETTER offense by which to make those stats his rookie year.

Luck:

TY Hilton  (rookie)

Reggie Wayne

Donnie Avery  (vet FA)

Anthony Castanzo at LT

Dwayne Allen was pretty good his rookie year.  (rookie)

If you want to count RBs...a stretch....a pretty dynamic RB in Ahmed Bradshaw (seasoned vet FA)

And a bunch of decent vet olinemen brought in by a GM that understood positional value Day 1.

Levis:

DeAndre Hopkins (not as good as either TY or Reggie that year, IMO)

If you want to include RBs: Derrick Henry

I'm not getting into some Luck vs Levis debate, but the point of what Husker said pertaining to the stats is correct.  Luck had much better offensive players around him his rookie year than Levis has had.  And a last place schedule.

• Like 2

Andrew Luck:

+53-33 as starter in the Regular Season.

+4-4 in the Playoffs = 4 playoff wins.

+4374 yards passing as a rookie, a record that still stands.

+4-Time Pro Bowler = 2012-2014, 2018

+Comeback player of the year = 2018

+Took a 2-14 team to 11-5 and no the 2012 Colts weren't near the same as the 2010 Colts. Over 50% of their roster was different in 2012. Luck had Reggie Wayne who he was aging, outside of that he had a rookie in TY and a bunch of people nobody ever heard of and no run game.

+1 of only 8 QB's in the history of the NFL to throw for 40 or more TDs in a season.

I really don't care who people love in here out of the rookies. Who their preference is. To compare Levis to Luck has to be the most mindboggling/dumbest thing I have ever seen in my 10 years here on this site and that says a lot. Whatever makes people happy though go for it chuckling homer simpson GIF. Despite not having a lot of longevity, I could make a case for Luck being a Top 50 NFL QB of all-time based on his play and accomplishments/numbers. After about 40 QBs, the list gets thin, and Andrew matches most anyone after 40.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

LOL.  To you and all of the folks who liked your post, Husker is actually correct.

As far as the passing stats...which was huskers point and not moving the goal posts into talking about playoffs.....the difference is that Luck had a MUCH BETTER offense by which to make those stats his rookie year.

Luck:

TY Hilton  (rookie)

Reggie Wayne

Donnie Avery  (vet FA)

Anthony Castanzo at LT

Dwayne Allen was pretty good his rookie year.  (rookie)

If you want to count RBs...a stretch....a pretty dynamic RB in Ahmed Bradshaw (seasoned vet FA)

And a bunch of decent vet olinemen brought in by a GM that understood positional value Day 1.

Levis:

DeAndre Hopkins (not as good as either TY or Reggie that year, IMO)

If you want to include RBs: Derrick Henry

I'm not getting into some Luck vs Levis debate, but the point of what Husker said pertaining to the stats is correct.  Luck had much better offensive players around him his rookie year than Levis has had.  And a last place schedule.

i put the actual numbers up. Some people will just cover their eyes and keep believing what they want to be true. I’m sure it makes them feel better.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Andrew Luck:

+53-33 as starter in the Regular Season.

+4-4 in the Playoffs = 4 playoff wins.

+4374 yards passing as a rookie, a record that still stands.

+4-Time Pro Bowler = 2012-2014, 2018

+Comeback player of the year = 2018

+Took a 2-14 team to 11-5 and no the 2012 Colts weren't near the same as the 2010 Colts. Over 50% of their roster was different in 2012. Luck had Reggie Wayne who he was aging, outside of that he had a rookie in TY and a bunch of people nobody ever heard of and no run game.

+1 of only 8 QB's in the history of the NFL to throw for 40 or more TDs in a season.

I really don't care who people love in here out of the rookies. Who their preference is. To compare Levis to Luck has to be the most mindboggling/dumbest thing I have ever seen in my 10 years here on this site and that says a lot. Whatever makes people happy though go for it chuckling homer simpson GIF. Despite not having a lot of longevity, I could make a case for Luck being a Top 50 NFL QB of all-time based on his play and accomplishments/numbers. After about 40 QBs, the list gets thin, and Andrew matches most anyone after 40.

my post was about first year numbers and you are using career records to desperately try to make a point. Levis doesn’t have a career, only a handful of games. No one knows if he will get better or not, or for that matter, no other young qb!

you really stretched with this post!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, husker61 said:

i put the actual numbers up. Some people will just cover their eyes and keep believing what they want to be true. I’m sure it makes them feel better.

Its a simple fact.  Luck had much better offensive weapons his rookie year than Levis has had, and a last place schedule. 

Another fact is that Luck had a hand-picked OC in Bruce Arians.  It was ripe for stat-making.  But it was 10 years ago.   I can't speak as to how others view football or what it means to them.

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Why do we have to put down others and lift Levis up, and vice versa? I’m personally interested to see how Will fares tonight against a high scoring Dolphins team. 

Some people like to do so I guess. To even mention any of these rookies in the same breath as Luck is just crazy. He took a 2-14 team to 11-5 as a rookie with no run game and 1 good WR in Reggie. In 2012, Reggie wasn't the great, he was good. He wasn't Reggie from like 2004-2010. People can praise who they want but to bring Luck into this is silly and I don't care what anyone thinks about my opinion on that. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some people like to do so I guess. To even mention any of these rookies in the same breath as Luck is just crazy. He took a 2-14 team to 11-5 as a rookie with no run game and 1 good WR in Reggie. In 2012, Reggie wasn't the great, he was good. He wasn't Reggie from like 2004-2010. People can praise who they want but to bring Luck into this is silly and I don't care what anyone thinks about my opinion on that. 

I won’t deny that Luck had a better supporting cast compared to Levis. But he as the QB still had to get the job done and play his position well. And he did that to get the team to 11-5. A team that went 2-14 the year before. 

Comparing Will to a once in a lifetime type of prospect in Luck is unfair to Will.