Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would you do?

Trace Pyott

With all the good qb prospects coming out next year It got me thinking.  God forbid we end up with a top 1-3 pick next year and let’s say Richardson looks mostly lost out there, do you think we draft another qb next year or do we pass on the so called “ bettter qb prospects” and stick with Richardson and draft someone like Harrison??

It really would depend on Anthony himself. If he shows promise I don’t think you give up on him so quickly. In that scenario definitely shop that top pick. Next year’s draft class will be deep! And it usually takes a few years for QBs to figure things out.

On the other hand, if Richardson has major flaws on and off the field, then by all means look for that franchise altering QB. 

• Thanks 1

If this were to occur and Richardson looks hopeless, that would be the end of Ballard and maybe Steichen. It would be a complete reset. At that point, all bets would be off. The only other scenario would be something off the field and that would probably have the same result.

Giving up on a QB after 1 year would be pretty dumb IMO, it will never happen and shouldn't no matter how bad AR plays. Most rookies struggle. If we end up with a top 5 pick, I would draft Marvin Harrison JR. We haven't had a game changing WR since Reggie Wayne, TY was good and so is Pittman but we need a bigtime game changer like Reggie or daddy Marv. I think Harrison JR will be the real deal and would help AR out a ton.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think you have to set a very low bar for Richardson, year 1

If you expect him to be the savior, year 1. you will probably be very disappointed.

Expectations for year 1, should be growth.

However...... If Richardson shows NO growth, and cant seem to grasp the concepts, OR if there are character flaws that arise,

you would have to be open to doing what's best for your team.

Personally, I think he will grow this year, and maybe take us to the playoffs in 2024

He seems like a humble kid that is ready to put the work in

(Do you remember the arrogance of Ryan Leaf and Johnny Manzell? ) 

Humility is always the first step to growth (A great biblical principle)

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

With all the good qb prospects coming out next year It got me thinking.  God forbid we end up with a top 1-3 pick next year and let’s say Richardson looks mostly lost out there, do you think we draft another qb next year or do we pass on the so called “ bettter qb prospects” and stick with Richardson and draft someone like Harrison??

Richardson is a better athlete, runner and basketball player than those QBs. Take a LT, WR or EDGE,

I don’t think AR will become an elite QB bc this is a passing league. However, besides the Cardinals with Josh Rosen and Jets with the BYU guy, I don’t know of many teams that move on from a QB that quick. Paxton Lynch in Denver never really played so maybe that counts too. We have to surround AR with weapons and protection and see if a system can be built around him. It’s worth exploring bc if it works the league won’t know what hit them bc AR is one of a kind physically. 

I say draft the most impact non QB player available and see how it plays out.  If AR doesn’t work we will be in position to draft another QB soon enough.  

I am not expecting much at all from Richardson, as a matter of fact I don't really want him playing initially. However I do wanna see some flashes when he does play. He was a total risk and gamble of a pick which hopefully pays off, however if he has a Ryan leaf or Jamarcus Russel type rookie year then we are better grabbing one of the up and coming QB's and trading off Richardson. Gotta think if Maye or William's were sitting there at 4 who would we have taken? 

11 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

Disclaimer: This is a wild hypothetical that likely won't happen.

And with a whole college season to come, anything can happen. But with the info we have right now, it's a pretty simple decision IMO. You take Williams or Maye in this scenario. Barring a huge collapse from the defense, it's hard to imagine a scenario where AR has shown enough AND the Colts win less games than last season.

As for what to do with AR, they probably won't have trouble finding a trading partner. They won't get back their original investment, but even Josh Rosen was able to net a R2 pick the year after he was drafted at #9. There will likely be a team drafting late in R1 that would be willing to take a shot (especially if they miss out on the top QBs). So they would get some of their investment. 

But I continue to believe that next year's QB class is very good. So it might not even have to be a top 1-3 pick. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I don’t think AR will become an elite QB bc this is a passing league. However, besides the Cardinals with Josh Rosen and Jets with the BYU guy, I don’t know of many teams that move on from a QB that quick. Paxton Lynch in Denver never really played so maybe that counts too. We have to surround AR with weapons and protection and see if a system can be built around him. It’s worth exploring bc if it works the league won’t know what hit them bc AR is one of a kind physically. 

I say draft the most impact non QB player available and see how it plays out.  If AR doesn’t work we will be in position to draft another QB soon enough.  

In the top 3? The only non-QB would be MHJ. But if they aren't taking a QB, I think they would sell that pick to the highest bidder and then get one of their blue chips some picks later. That draft capital could be used in a number of ways, either via trade for impact talent OR for replacing vets that are aging out.

Imagine trading back and getting that OT from PSU and still getting a couple R1 and R2 picks. 

That said, I think you take the QB and don't look back. Much less risk than the current path. I think that would be much clearer next draft season when the QB hype begins back up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Giving up on a QB after 1 year would be pretty dumb IMO, it will never happen and shouldn't no matter how bad AR plays. Most rookies struggle. If we end up with a top 5 pick, I would draft Marvin Harrison JR. We haven't had a game changing WR since Reggie Wayne, TY was good and so is Pittman but we need a bigtime game changer like Reggie or daddy Marv. I think Harrison JR will be the real deal and would help AR out a ton.

I don't know. I think it's even dumber to pass on a great QB prospect because you already invested in AR. Ballard said he didn't want to see AR become a superstar on another team. Well, the same would apply to these other QB prospects. And I think their path to superstardom has far less land mines.

Which QBs gives you the better chance to contend in the AFC for the next 5 years and go that route. I think it's really that simple. 

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think you have to set a very low bar for Richardson, year 1

If you expect him to be the savior, year 1. you will probably be very disappointed.

Expectations for year 1, should be growth.

However...... If Richardson shows NO growth, and cant seem to grasp the concepts, OR if there are character flaws that arise,

you would have to be open to doing what's best for your team.

Personally, I think he will grow this year, and maybe take us to the playoffs in 2024

He seems like a humble kid that is ready to put the work in

(Do you remember the arrogance of Ryan Leaf and Johnny Manzell? ) 

Humility is always the first step to growth (A great biblical principle)

Here's the thing. In the scenario where you can draft a Williams or Maye, I think the bar and expectations for AR have to come up significantly. They can't just evaluate him the same way they originally planned at that point...not when there is an alternative out there like that. 

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I don't know. I think it's even dumber to pass on a great QB prospect because you already invested in AR. Ballard said he didn't want to see AR become a superstar on another team. Well, the same would apply to these other QB prospects. And I think their path to superstardom has far less land mines.

Which QBs gives you the better chance to contend in the AFC for the next 5 years and go that route. I think it's really that simple. 

Drafting C. Williams or another QB in 2024 would be to admit failure by Ballard and potentially set the franchise back farther. Richardson is the QB for the next couple seasons and they drafted him knowing it's going to take time to develop. IMO draft LT, WR or Edge, and don't trade down. 

10 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Everyone seems to think that Caleb Williams will be the next Andrew Luck, not sure about that. He could be but he and his team got blasted by Utah twice, a team that AR beat last season.

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Everyone seems to think that Caleb Williams will be the next Andrew Luck, not sure about that. He could be but he and his team got blasted by Utah twice, a team that AR beat last season.

That's a really high standard though. Not being the "next Andrew Luck" doesn't mean he's not an elite QB prospect. He has a chance to be a b2b Heisman winner.

And there are still people out there that think Maye could still go #1 overall. I think that says a lot about Maye as well.

Just keep them out of the AFC haha.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

That's a really high standard though. Not being the "next Andrew Luck" doesn't mean he's not an elite QB prospect. He has a chance to be a b2b Heisman winner.

And there are still people out there that think Maye could still go #1 overall. I think that says a lot about Maye as well.

Just keep them out of the AFC haha.

Regarding our division I think the QB's are set. I can't see the Texans giving up on Stroud. Lawrence is the man in Jags land. Tennessee won't be bad enough to draft in the top 3, Tannehill saves the day again as the Titans will be good enough to draft outside of the top 10 homer simpson dance GIF- I think they will end up giving Levis a chance too. Levis doesn't impress at all.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Peter Nova said:

Drafting C. Williams or another QB in 2024 would be to admit failure by Ballard and potentially set the franchise back farther. Richardson is the QB for the next couple seasons and they drafted him knowing it's going to take time to develop. IMO draft LT, WR or Edge, and don't trade down. 

It would be a failure. But if Ballard would put his own ego above the team, then Irsay should bring in a new GM. Steichen isn't going anywhere anyways.

But the last 2 QBs were failures after one year and they were willing to admit failure and move on. AR might have been the best option at the time, but things can change in a year.

I disagree that it would set the franchise back. I think those QBs could possibly still be ahead of AR, even after one season in the NFL. If anything, I think it could accelerate their contending window and it resets the rookie QB window.

But this is all based on the idea that the Colts are a bottom 3 team in the NFL. If that happens, they aren't any closer anyways, so setting back the franchise probably isn't a thing at that point.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

In the top 3? The only non-QB would be MHJ. But if they aren't taking a QB, I think they would sell that pick to the highest bidder and then get one of their blue chips some picks later. That draft capital could be used in a number of ways, either via trade for impact talent OR for replacing vets that are aging out.

Imagine trading back and getting that OT from PSU and still getting a couple R1 and R2 picks. 

That said, I think you take the QB and don't look back. Much less risk than the current path. I think that would be much clearer next draft season when the QB hype begins back up.

It’s so far away it depends where people are ranked based on how they perform this year.  Maybe QBs go 1-3, maybe 3 in the top 10 or maybe 3 in the first round. If MHJ or a DE grade as the top in the draft and QBs go 1-2 I would run the pick up to the podium bc we need elite talent at those positions. This is of course all based off AR5 not flopping and maybe that happens too. Im just going to assume the coaches and FO will want to see more from him before moving on…of course a generational talent has emerged and sitting there for us. So many moving parts it’s hard to say what the team should do besides saying take BPA if it’s a high value non QB position. 

4 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

It’s so far away it depends where people are ranked based on how they perform this year.  Maybe QBs go 1-3, maybe 3 in the top 10 or maybe 3 in the first round. If MHJ or a DE grade as the top in the draft and QBs go 1-2 I would run the pick up to the podium bc we need elite talent at those positions. This is of course all based off AR5 not flopping and maybe that happens too. Im just going to assume the coaches and FO will want to see more from him before moving on…of course a generational talent has emerged and sitting there for us. So many moving parts it’s hard to say what the team should do besides saying take BPA if it’s a high value non QB position. 

Yeah...this is really much more of a conversation for December. A lot of those moving parts will be much clearer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

And with a whole college season to come, anything can happen. But with the info we have right now, it's a pretty simple decision IMO. You take Williams or Maye in this scenario. Barring a huge collapse from the defense, it's hard to imagine a scenario where AR has shown enough AND the Colts win less games than last season.

Absolutely. I'm not as thrilled with Maye so far, but I'm 100% a believer in Caleb Williams. If we had the #1 pick and Anthony Richardson hasn't lit the world on fire -- and how could he if we wind up with the #1 pick? -- I fully endorse taking Williams. The optics don't matter, admitting failure doesn't matter. Caleb Williams is that good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He threw for 381 yards, 5 TDs, no picks in the first game. They lost by 1 point because their defense couldn't get a stop.

He threw for 363 yards, 3 TDs, 1 pick in the second game. They lost by 13 points, again because the defense got punched in the mouth.

Neither of those games gives any concern about how good Caleb Williams is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Superman said:

He threw for 381 yards, 5 TDs, no picks in the first game. They lost by 1 point because their defense couldn't get a stop.

He threw for 363 yards, 3 TDs, 1 pick in the second game. They lost by 13 points, again because the defense got punched in the mouth.

Oh I think he goes #1 and he will probably be good. Just not sure how good? Just wanted play a little devil's advocate with the Utah thing. It will be a moot point anyways IMO, because I can't see us drafting #1. We may be bad but not that bad. By season's end, maybe AR will look good and many in here may want a WR or another CB in the draft. Too early to tell. 

13 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

A top 5 pick is definitely on the table, if you go by power rankings it seems likely even.  I would take CW if we can

CW is going #1 and whoever gets that pick won't give that up IMO. He obviously has great potential. I have to study the teams more to see who I think will draft #1. I am not sure who will be the worst. It is very possible a team like Tampa could tank now as I see them finishing last in the NFC South. Maybe a team like the Cards could get the #1 pick as well. Those teams will probably stink to high heaven but not sure yet. We could be bad but I doubt theeee worst lol.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Superman said:

Absolutely. I'm not as thrilled with Maye so far, but I'm 100% a believer in Caleb Williams. If we had the #1 pick and Anthony Richardson hasn't lit the world on fire -- and how could he if we wind up with the #1 pick? -- I fully endorse taking Williams. The optics don't matter, admitting failure doesn't matter. Caleb Williams is that good.

I stumbled upon the USC/UCLA on some Sat night. Great game. DTR was doing everything he could do keep up. But Williams is just on a different level. It felt like Williams made every single throw in that one single game. He's not without some warts, but I honestly don't see many. He has the pocket presence, can evade pressure, can run and seems to always have high eyes downfield...and can make every throw.

As for Maye, I just love how he throws. The short, compact, quick release should play so well in the NFL. Just seems like he has so much touch on his passes too...like he's throwing hard but the ball comes in soft. Not sure how else to describe it. If he gets drafted over Williams, it means he had an incredible season though. But I think a Maye/Downs reunion would be really cool.

Regardless of AR, I will be paying some attention to the college QBs and where they end up. I think this could be a very deep class.

50 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh I think he goes #1 and he will probably be good. Just not sure how good? Just wanted play a little devil's advocate with the Utah thing. It will be a moot point anyways IMO, because I can't see us drafting #1. We may be bad but not that bad. By season's end, maybe AR will look good and many in here may want a WR or another CB in the draft. Too early to tell. 

I haven't been as impressed with a QB prospect since Andrew Luck. That's just my novice opinion. Not saying he'll be better than all those other guys -- Watson, Lawrence, Herbert, Burrow, etc. -- but I think he's right up there as a prospect.

I forgot to mention, Williams got hurt in the second Utah game. And for whatever reason, the Utes had SC's number last year. Tulane also ran their defense into the ground, despite another fantastic performance from Williams. I think he's the real deal.

11 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I stumbled upon the USC/UCLA on some Sat night. Great game. DTR was doing everything he could do keep up. But Williams is just on a different level. It felt like Williams made every single throw in that one single game. He's not without some warts, but I honestly don't see many. He has the pocket presence, can evade pressure, can run and seems to always have high eyes downfield...and can make every throw.

As for Maye, I just love how he throws. The short, compact, quick release should play so well in the NFL. Just seems like he has so much touch on his passes too...like he's throwing hard but the ball comes in soft. Not sure how else to describe it. If he gets drafted over Williams, it means he had an incredible season though. But I think a Maye/Downs reunion would be really cool.

Regardless of AR, I will be paying some attention to the college QBs and where they end up. I think this could be a very deep class.

What do you think the warts are? I think it's just size, and I figure he's 6'1", 215 pounds, which is sufficient. With his arm, play making, presence, vision, decision making, the size isn't going to be a problem. I was skeptical at first, but I'm in SoCal so I watched a bunch of SC games, and was always impressed.

Maye, I'll have to watch more of. I like how he throws, but I think his motion has some potential to breakdown when pressured. I also don't remember seeing a lot of off platform throws, anything out of structure, etc. It's been a few months so I could be foggy.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I haven't been as impressed with a QB prospect since Andrew Luck. That's just my novice opinion. Not saying he'll be better than all those other guys -- Watson, Lawrence, Herbert, Burrow, etc. -- but I think he's right up there as a prospect.

I forgot to mention, Williams got hurt in the second Utah game. And for whatever reason, the Utes had SC's number last year. Tulane also ran their defense into the ground, despite another fantastic performance from Williams. I think he's the real deal.

What do you think the warts are? I think it's just size, and I figure he's 6'1", 215 pounds, which is sufficient. With his arm, play making, presence, vision, decision making, the size isn't going to be a problem. I was skeptical at first, but I'm in SoCal so I watched a bunch of SC games, and was always impressed.

Maye, I'll have to watch more of. I like how he throws, but I think his motion has some potential to breakdown when pressured. I also don't remember seeing a lot of off platform throws, anything out of structure, etc. It's been a few months so I could be foggy.

As far as #1 picks go since Luck came out in 2012, Luck and Burrow have really stood out as being the real deal. Only 2. I get Luck fizzled out and had to retire but his first 3 years were great and he lived up to the hype from 2012-2014. Burrow is flat out great now as well, damn near won a SB. If CW is close to being as great as those two, he will have a fantastic career assuming he stays healthy. Unfortunately, Luck did not stay healthy. I still think Lawerence could be the real deal too which is unfortunate for us because he is in our division. It is the Jags though lol. I have no doubt CW will be good but not sure if he will be as great as Luck was from 2012-2014 or Burrow is now? That is asking a lot.

Regarding AR, I think he has the potential to be similar to Cam Newton which is saying a lot. I will take that all day as long as we have a good defense and good coaching for years. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As far as #1 picks go since Luck came out in 2012, Luck and Burrow have really stood out as being the real deal. Only 2. I get Luck fizzled out and had to retire but his first 3 years were great and he lived up to the hype from 2012-2014. Burrow is flat out great now as well, damn near won a SB. If CW is close to being as great as those two, he will have a fantastic career assuming he stays healthy. Unfortunately, Luck did not stay healthy. I still think Lawerence could be the real deal too which is unfortunate for us because he is in our division. It is the Jags though lol. I have no doubt CW will be good but not sure if he will be as great as Luck was from 2012-2014 or Burrow is now? That is asking a lot.

Regarding AR, I think he has the potential to be similar to Cam Newton which is saying a lot. I will take that all day as long as we have a good defense and good coaching for years. 

Newton is the comp, IMO. He had a strong rookie season in 2011, won ROY, the Panthers won 6 games, and picked #9 the following year (Luke Kuechly). Coincidentally, Carolina just moved up from #9 to #1 this year, and it cost them two firsts, two seconds, and a player (who was basically valued as a first rounder). I think if you have a ROY QB and a 6 win team, you're probably not giving up that package to take another QB.

And in contrast, I think if Caleb Williams was available this year, the Bears probably would have drafted him, despite already having Justin Fields.

But if you finish with the worst record in the league, and CW is available, I think it's a no brainer. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

Frankly, I'm betting on Richardson looking a little lost his rookie year.  How could he not be?  He only played 13 games in college.  It's gonna take a while before he's not lost, and actually playing like he just might know what he's doing.

So, no, I wouldn't ditch him and go with another QB the very next year.  He's gotta be Josh Rosen bad, or worse, before I'd do that.  Especially with the other non-QB players that will be available that early in the draft next year.  If we're in a position to draft Marvin Jr, we do it immediately, and then laugh out loud at all the other teams all the way to the bank.

Naaw, we gotta give AR a chance to be what he can be.  And that's gonna take a little time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2023 at 1:58 PM, Superman said:

I think some people might not like Williams' persona. That's really what I was talking about. But I am fine with it if he's out there making plays everywhere. And I like my QB to have confidence.

But I think a very casual football fan could turn on a game and see Caleb Williams...and just know he's different. He is that good. I think it's being downplayed right now (don't want to overshadow the recent NFL draftees before they take a snap), but it will ramp back up in Oct. and Nov.

As for the original question in this thread, the Cardinals drafted Rosen #10 in first round and Murray the next year #1. Obviously we hope AR will be much better than Rosen, but if not, we should definitely consider picking another qb #1 next year. We have to get that position sorted out. We can live without Taylor if need be, but we can’t keep running out average to poor qb’s.

38 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I think some people might not like Williams' persona. That's really what I was talking about. But I am fine with it if he's out there making plays everywhere. And I like my QB to have confidence.

But I think a very casual football fan could turn on a game and see Caleb Williams...and just know he's different. He is that good. I think it's being downplayed right now (don't want to overshadow the recent NFL draftees before they take a snap), but it will ramp back up in Oct. and Nov.

He definitely has some ego, and sometimes people with ego come across as insincere, arrogant, and unlikeable. To me, Williams still seems sincere and engaging. Some people probably won't like him, but it's not going to bother me unless he really takes a turn this season.

And as far as his game, I think he checks all the boxes. I'm sure everyone will pick him apart during draft season, but from what I've seen so far, he's a rock solid prospect who can be a franchise QB pretty quickly. And I'd have to be strongly convinced that we already have a franchise QB before I'd pass on him in the draft.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 7:56 PM, Superman said:

I watched the second game. Williams played injured for most of it... and he still looked amazing. 

• Like 3

Caleb Williams is.a.high percentage Elite.QB and.if.for some.reason you have a chance to get him then you do, even if AR5 looks promising in his rookie.campaign....and if you have the #1 pick its unlikely he shined or had a.chance to shine as.bright as a.Caleb.Williams is highly.expected. to. 

Having.said that.there's no physical traits that AR5 lacks that puts him below Caleb or Maye..its all about his accuracy, reading defenses, etc....

I feel the colts.were.fortunate to.have.a.chance.to draft.Richardson.AND.would be even more.fortunate to.also draft.Caleb. 

2 outstanding. QB prospects are better than 1 and gives you assets to build a team. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Caleb Williams is.a.high percentage Elite.QB and.if.for some.reason you have a chance to get him then you do, even if AR5 looks promising in his rookie.campaign....and if you have the #1 pick its unlikely he shined or had a.chance to shine as.bright as a.Caleb.Williams is highly.expected. to. 

Having.said that.there's no physical traits that AR5 lacks that puts him below Caleb or Maye..its all about his accuracy, reading defenses, etc....

I feel the colts.were.fortunate to.have.a.chance.to draft.Richardson.AND.would be even more.fortunate to.also draft.Caleb. 

2 outstanding. QB prospects are better than 1 and gives you assets to build a team. 

If the Colts end up with a top draft pick it should be Marv Harrison Jr., not Caleb. Even taking extra draft picks is better than drafting Caleb.

On 7/18/2023 at 10:07 PM, Trace Pyott said:

AR would have to really show that he was a mistake.  He won’t be easy to cut ties with since he’s so young and raw.

thing is, if he’s no good we would be drafting high the next 2 to 4 years anyway, there’s that.

On 7/19/2023 at 11:05 AM, shasta519 said:

If we land top 3 I would definately try to get two lower first rounds or just more draft capital.