Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3 Things You’re Looking Foward To

smittywerb

47 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

As news becomes slower and slower as the off-season continues, I figure we look forward to the present.  What are 3 things you’ll be looking forward to this upcoming season.  For me:

- I won’t say Anthony Richardson because I think that’s going to be on everyone’s list lol

1.  Playcalling:  my biggest gripe last year (and previous years during the Reich era) was playcalling.  I felt like we had the pieces and potential to make things happen but we were too predictable, vanilla, and slow.  Even with the limited arm of Matt Ryan, this team showed flashes on offense when we were put in position to do so.  I want to see what Steichen is going to do with this offense.  I expect some hiccups and things to start slow as he’s a rookie HC.  

2.  Alec Pierce’s Second Year:  Coming out of college, AP was one of the best 50/50 catchers in his class.  He showed flashes last year when given the opportunity.  With ARs arm and Pierces speed.  I expect to see a lot deep routes and jump balls.  If AP comes around in his second year, he will be a matchup NIGHTMARE.  6’3, 4.4 speed, and can go up and get it.  I predict AR and AP will have the best connection on the offense (hot take).

3.  Jelani Woods:  Another potential matchup nightmare.  I hope he’s putting in the work and Shane will give him his time to shine.  Most of the elite teams have a good QB/TE combo.  Woods has the physical intangibles to become a monster at TE.  Also, I hope Shane lines him up out wide to utilize that rare speed he has at TE.  It would also give more space to JT by preventing defense to crowd the line.

Those are mine.  What are you looking forward to?

I would add seeing how all these rookies look. This was a very good class for the Colts, and there’s a lot of guys who could make instant impacts. 

Another is seeing how Leonard looks coming back from injury. Will be huge if he is back close to 100%. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

As news becomes slower and slower as the off-season continues, I figure we look forward to the present.  What are 3 things you’ll be looking forward to this upcoming season.  For me:

- I won’t say Anthony Richardson because I think that’s going to be on everyone’s list lol

1.  Playcalling:  my biggest gripe last year (and previous years during the Reich era) was playcalling.  I felt like we had the pieces and potential to make things happen but we were too predictable, vanilla, and slow.  Even with the limited arm of Matt Ryan, this team showed flashes on offense when we were put in position to do so.  I want to see what Steichen is going to do with this offense.  I expect some hiccups and things to start slow as he’s a rookie HC.  

2.  Alec Pierce’s Second Year:  Coming out of college, AP was one of the best 50/50 catchers in his class.  He showed flashes last year when given the opportunity.  With ARs arm and Pierces speed.  I expect to see a lot deep routes and jump balls.  If AP comes around in his second year, he will be a matchup NIGHTMARE.  6’3, 4.4 speed, and can go up and get it.  I predict AR and AP will have the best connection on the offense (hot take).

3.  Jelani Woods:  Another potential matchup nightmare.  I hope he’s putting in the work and Shane will give him his time to shine.  Most of the elite teams have a good QB/TE combo.  Woods has the physical intangibles to become a monster at TE.  Also, I hope Shane lines him up out wide to utilize that rare speed he has at TE.  It would also give more space to JT by preventing defense to crowd the line.

Those are mine.  What are you looking forward to?

Yeah, that pretty much nailed it in my opinion. Looking forward to what Steichen and Cooter can do with our young guys. Hope to see progress from Pierce and promise from Downs. We have a young TE room with lots of athletic traits - Woods, Ogletree and Mallory. I hope we progress and promise here as well.

If I had to pick 3 things different from yours...

1--- I'd REALLY like to see our Dline shine this season. I feel like there's been A LOT of resources invested into the Dline - both picks and $$ - and I'd like to see that pay out.

2--- After Rodgers' FUBAR'd our CB room looks a little shaky to me. Young and inexperienced. Hope they step up and earn their spot.

3--- I hope to see the Oline play up to their pay (Nelson, Kelly, Smith) and Raimann and Fries continue to improve. 

• Like 4

0. Personal one - hopefully being able to go to my first Colts game in Germany. I've registered for the lottery and waiting for next month to see if I will be able to get a ticket. Fingers crossed :goodluck:

1. Alec Pierce... I think he's the most obvious candidate for a big jump in production in our offense with the assumption that Richardson will play a lot of games and the offense will take a lot of shots downfield. He's the most natural target on those. 

2. OL play and OL coaching. For a while my assumption has been that Strausser was one of the reasons for this OL's diminished level of play. This year will be a test for my hypothesis. On paper we have a lot of talent. There is no reason an OL with Q, Kelly and Braden should be as bad as it was last year. And hopefully all of them will be healthier than last few years. Lets see if the new OL coach can inspire them to return to their play from a few years ago. Raimann's development will be key in that regard. 

3. Rodgers was going to be one of the most intriguing players to watch for me next year with the opportunity to start. Well, that bet is off... And still... the DB room continues to be one of the most intriguing things about this team since we have close to zero established vets and tons and tons of youth with little to no experience. I think a lot of them will get a chance to play this year. I want to see Brents and Rush and Jones fight it out for the outside corner spots... I want to see how Nick Cross has progressed since last year... Rodney Thomas? 

---

Out of the question and probably everybody's first choice - AR.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I would add seeing how all these rookies look. This was a very good class for the Colts, and there’s a lot of guys who could make instant impacts. 

Another is seeing how Leonard looks coming back from injury. Will be huge if he is back close to 100%. 

im excited also.  A little worried about our young CB room.  We are going to picked on a lot in the pass so I hope they learn quick.  

if our pass rush can ever develop into what CB thinks it can be, then that will make it MUCH easier on them.  But if not, look for us to have one of the WORST defense in the league as teams will just throw it all game.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

0. Personal one - hopefully being able to go to my first Colts game in Germany. I've registered for the lottery and waiting for next month to see if I will be able to get a ticket. Fingers crossed :goodluck:

1. Alec Pierce... I think he's the most obvious candidate for a big jump in production in our offense with the assumption that Richardson will play a lot of games and the offense will take a lot of shots downfield. He's the most natural target on those. 

2. OL play and OL coaching. For a while my assumption has been that Strausser was one of the reasons for this OL's diminished level of play. This year will be a test for my hypothesis. On paper we have a lot of talent. There is no reason an OL with Q, Kelly and Braden should be as bad as it was last year. And hopefully all of them will be healthier than last few years. Lets see if the new OL coach can inspire them to return to their play from a few years ago. Raimann's development will be key in that regard. 

3. Rodgers was going to be one of the most intriguing players to watch for me next year with the opportunity to start. Well, that bet is off... And still... the DB room continues to be one of the most intriguing things about this team since we have close to zero established vets and tons and tons of youth with little to no experience. I think a lot of them will get a chance to play this year. I want to see Brents and Rush and Jones fight it out for the outside corner spots... I want to see how Nick Cross has progressed since last year... Rodney Thomas? 

---

1.  Yup, AP had a pretty productive despite what we had going on.  He showed some rookie moments but it was a solid first year.  Hopefully with a bigger arm and better playcalling we can see him become a dog.

2.  I’m leaning more towards being optimistic than pessimistic when it comes to the OL.  After Reich and the OL coach got fired, the OL actually played ok.  I think with Raimann getting a full offseason of weight training, we should some improvement.  I really think the left side of the line went to crap because Nelson was compensating for horrible LT play.  ARs legs should also help the OL out as defenses won’t be able to just spam blitzes knowing it’s a statue sitting in the pocket.

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Other than @smittywerb list, my next three would be:

Shaq Leonard playing healthy again

The Oline reverting back to their elite status

Who’s the starting CBs.  

idk about Shaq man.  Has he even practiced yet?  And I’m worried about our LB core now that Bobby is gone.  

1 minute ago, smittywerb said:

idk about Shaq man.  Has he even practiced yet?  And I’m worried about our LB core now that Bobby is gone.  

Not practicing yet, but I think he's running.  

I'd say the organization believes he's going to be back since they didn't draft a LB.  But I believe them about Pryor and Pinter last season.

26 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

im excited also.  A little worried about our young CB room.  We are going to picked on a lot in the pass so I hope they learn quick.  

if our pass rush can ever develop into what CB thinks it can be, then that will make it MUCH easier on them.  But if not, look for us to have one of the WORST defense in the league as teams will just throw it all game.

I would hope Bradley employs more of a 3 safety look at least early on since they have more certainty there with Blackmon, Thomas, Cross, and now the rookie they brought in. Kenny Moore needs to probably stay at nickel, with Rush and Brents on the outside. Jaylon Jones could provide Indy with a solid CB4. 

Hoping that with the additions of Adebowre at DT and Ebukam at DE the pass rush is improved. Need Paye to stay relatively healthy also to make life easier for our young CBs. 

My biggest thing I'm looking forward to is not having any major expectations this year other than looking for flashes of the potential this team should have.

I think they'll be like the Pacers of last year. Exciting to watch, showcasing what they're capable of but too young to be consistent with it.

• Like 1

1) I just want to see a team that looks like they knew they were playing an upcoming game and looked like they were prepared for it...

unlike under Reich...

2) see number one

3) see number one

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stitches said:

---

"...that bet is off."....wow...really? :P

Ok my list would have to go something along the lines of 

Edge- Both Dayo and Paye I’m hoping they both take a leap. 

DB- Specifically Rodney Thomas I feel like he will take a major jump . I also want to see How Brent’s and Rush will pan out. With Rodgers future uncertain that opens up more opportunities for Rush to make an impact early .

Oline- After last season’s disastrous oline play, I would love to see how they bounce back.

On 6/12/2023 at 7:50 AM, BProland85 said:

A lot who might make instant impacts?  Most of them are raw athletic freaks....which is cool, it just normally takes those guys a year or more longer than usual to make impact felt....

2 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

A lot who might make instant impacts?  Most of them are raw athletic freaks....which is cool, it just normally takes those guys a year or more longer than usual to make impact felt....

The CBs that were drafted don’t have much in front of them so they will be on the field. Downs should be an immediate impact from the slot as only McKenzie is there. Adebouwre and Freeland could provide instant depth in rotational roles as there’s not much at DT outside of Buck and Grove, and we had no swing OT on the roster before Freeland.