Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

6 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Yeah it definitely scares me. I will say that two of those DEs were injury bust.  Definitely tho, he drafted 5 guys in the first two rounds and only Paye has become a starter. That’s not a good track record at that position. I really hope this coaching staff turns this kid into a pro bowler. 

Nelson says hi

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Richardson is a big gamble, and it has to work out for Ballard.  Picking him at 4 looks like a desperation move on Ballard's part.  It seems more like a dart throw than a thoughtful pick.

I wonder how many times he could have traded down, got plenty of picks to build his 4-12 team back up, and still got Levis. 

Well Levis falling out of the first round, if the Colts wanted him, they’d taken him. Something tells me that 31 other teams all this Levis kid isn’t a starter.

6 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm happy with the choice.  

I can’t say I’m happy with it, I think it is a huge swing for down the road potential. I’m ok with it. Mainly cause we didn’t trade up to do it.

Knowing that it’ll be two to three years down the road, do you start trading away the guys approaching 30?

Was there REALLY that much difference between Will Levis and AR? I would have rather traded down several times and took Levis, picked up a 1st next year and a few more picks this year, and still gotten that same type of guy.

Of course, to be fair, who knew Levis would fall this far..

16 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Was there REALLY that much difference between Will Levis and AR? I would have rather traded down several times and took Levis, picked up a 1st next year and a few more picks this year, and still gotten that same type of guy.

A bit. Granted I was not a fan of either of them at 4 and wanted a trade back as well.

AR is younger, more ceiling so potentially more mold able. 

levis is older, a lot more cocky, looks a lot like Wentz when he plays, both in the good and the bad

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I know it sounds silly but I would 

This is the reset button for Ballard. His born again opportunity.  I think we can all  agree  there are no more  excuses.  He got his coach. He got te qb  t

he loves. I will start over with Balard and all is forgiven. Let's go Colts and get it done. Let's go heavy on O in the 2nd and 3rd. I know we need corners but we have to build around thr O and sacrifice the D. I would be tempted to grab another te in the 2nd and guard in the 3rd. Not many wrs of  value tons of tes left. We need long pass catchers.

I agree about O emphasis.  Gotta support this raw talent for him to develop.  Won’t matter much how good the D is until probably 2025 in reality.  We are definitely rebuilding now with this young guy.  Rebuild the O first to give him a better chance.  He’s really all that matters now and IMO, many of the core players we have now will not be core players by the time AR develops in 2 or 3 seasons.

9 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I’d rather have Richardson over Levis. 

The Colts must have had the same concerns I did, because they had their pick. 

Richardson was a good choice. 

That said, we cannot overlook the fact that Steichen is a liar. It’s something we’re going to have to adjust to. We’ve had several years of an honest Ballard. Steichen is not going to be truthful. It’s a trait we should all be concerned about. 

I know the shots are coming my way for saying this, but if you think about it… It’s deserved. 

Dear Lord

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I know you are joking but it’s looking like there could be a couple of guys thought to go in the middle of round one that would fill a couple of Colts needs sitting there to start the second in Porter and Nolan Smith.  I wonder if Ballard would consider going up to get one of them, especially Porter given their need at corner.

Cody Mauch ot 

7 hours ago, Myles said:

Colts draft Levis in the 2nd round

I would if he’s there.  I was leaning towards doubling up a long time ago.  You could get at least a 2nd in the future I would think maybe a 1st ie. JImmy G.

He has rare arm talent.

26 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

he has  a torn acl

36 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Well Levis falling out of the first round, if the Colts wanted him, they’d taken him. Something tells me that 31 other teams all this Levis kid isn’t a starter.

torn acl

41 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Nelson says hi

Cody Mauch OT

Draft Scouting Report:

Rating: 85.10 (Long-term starter)

Pro Comparison: Clint Boling

Accolades: 

Three-time FCS national champion

62 games played in five seasons

Summary:

Cody Mauch has played left tackle in a run-heavy scheme but has also been cross-trained as an interior blocker. He is quick out of his stance and plays with a mean streak in the run game. Mauch can do a better job of engaging in space, and his hands occasionally get too wide in pass protection. He displays good core strength and an ability to absorb contact.

Strengths:

Versatility to play tackle, guard or center

Quick out of his stance

Does a good job of blocking angles and sealing run lanes

Good core strength allows him to absorb contact

Meanstreak in the run game

Combine Results:

40-Yard Dash: 5.08 seconds

Vertical: 29 inches

Broad Jump: 9 feet, 0 inches

3-Cone Drill: 7.33 seconds

Shuttle Run: 4.55 seconds

Bench Press: 129 reps

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I would if he’s there.  I was leaning towards doubling up a long time ago.  You could get at least a 2nd in the future I would think maybe a 1st ie. JImmy G.

Matthew Bergeron  ot  better  best rg  spot

Draft Scouting Report:

Rating: 84.97 (Long-term starter)

Pro Comparison: Dan Moore

Accolades:

2022: Second-team All-ACC

39 career starts (RT IN 2019, LT FROM 2020-22)

Summary:

Matthew Bergeron is a springy, highly athletic OT with up-and-down film. His wins can look unequivocally first-round caliber, but his losses make him look much less. He plays with softer edges and occasionally stops his feet. He's twitchy but not always balanced. He fires out of his stance but has choppy footwork. He has good quickness/overall speed combination. At times he gets overzealous and lunges. He must get stronger. He has NFL offensive tackle size but could project inside as a highly athletic guard.

Strengths:

Big-time athlete with controlled footwork

Plus grip strength with the potential to really control defenders

Pass protection wins are awesome; looks like a first-round pick

Real weapon on the move in the screen and run game

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

You seem to have associated my post with intelligence.  Why don't you just admit that it was smart, instead of getting mad that I am the one who thought of it.  BTW Pat, is a one of those fake cool guys and transparent as heck, well, to us smart ones.  OTOH, you seem to have fallen for his fake-schtick.

Nelson had the credentials, even the horrible pick Hooker had credentials to support the pick.  AR has none, its all about ceiling, potential.....and hope.  Its a desperation pick.

I disagree with your desperation take.  I’m not sure about the pick but I think Steichen was a major factor here.  

I doubt anyone thinks this kid is going to take the league by storm right away.  They are showing more delayed gratification lol, but this time the kid is young so that’s quite a bit different IMO.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

He rubbed me the wrong way in this one. Just unnecessarily curt and standoffish. One thing Ballard understands and quickly demonstrated is that it's valuable to have a good working relationship with the media. 

So, for example, when Ballard said 'I don't want to compare QBs,' then someone asked Steichen a similar question and he answered 'like Chris said, we're not gonna compare QBs.' Then whoever asked the question clarified that they were talking about offensive approach, and Steichen goes 'yeah, I'm not gonna talk about scheme, either.' Really?

Now, Reich would just give away the gameplan, and that was annoying. But in this case, Steichen couldn't talk about what kind of advantages he sees in having a QB like Richardson, or how they think they can deploy him as he develops, or anything like that? He didn't even try to dress it up and give a coachspeak answer, either. Just shut it down, not even entertaining what I thought was actually a legitimate question. Generally, I don't care too much because I don't expect to get anything meaningful from what the coach says, but that annoyed me, and seemed borderline rude.

Both Shane and Ballard understood that comparison breeds pressure or expectation from the media and others (warranted or unwarranted) for AR to be a certain thing.  They understand that there is going to be some rough moments in ARs growth. So when that happens they dont want the media coming back talking about "I thought you said this guy was like Hurts or Cam" "Ha!, Ha!, Ha". I interpreted the offensive scheme question as a back door attempt to draw back into a comparison conversation. And when the reporter tried it Steichen immediately shot it down. I can see very early theyve got their plan in place to deal with the media storm.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Richardson is younger, more athletic, has better pocket prescense, stronger arm, better at deep passing, more elusive, better at throwing on the run.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

Nelson had the credentials, even the horrible pick Hooker had credentials to support the pick.  AR has none, its all about ceiling, potential.....and hope.  Its a desperation pick.

it was said many times that this qb draft didn’t have a certified qb.  Meaning a qb that was going to start day one without any issues.  Any qb we selected this draft was going to be a “project pick”.  It’s just that the one we chose has the most uncertainty.  Your rebuttal might be “well why not trade back and go for hooker or Bennett?”.  Because Shane and Ballard both thought the potential of AR was too good to pass up on compared to the other qbs who were left (and I agree).  No way we were going to NOT pick a qb at 4 unless Young, AR, and Stroud was gone.  Shane was brought in to develop a qb, not coach an established one.  Everything this off-season regarding the offense has pointed to developing something new.

do you trust Shane and co to develop AR?  If so, then you’ll look back and love this pick.  If not, I can see why you feel the way you do.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

I said this in the other thread.  In this draft, if we couldn’t stroud, I wanted AR because I’d rather take a chance on his ceiling vs the other Qbs floors.  That’s the difference.

and obviously the other 31 GMs feel the same way because levis did not get drafted yet.  

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

How are you guys feeling about the Vikings pick? Elated? Happy? Happy it's not Levis? Sad? :P 

very happy it's not Levis ... lmao  

Had to endure some painstaking half an hour in the lead up to the pick and when they announced the pick, I got busy with someone at the door for another ten minutes.. 

I'm very happy with the pick selection though CB was the first choice. I think they tried to replace Adam Theilen. 

@NFLfan wanted Edge or CB. 

I'm not sure what would be Vikings plan now, as they have an empty CB room that they didn't address in free agency, let Patrick Peterson go, and pass defense was dead last even with him. Now they don't have any pick until #87! So, what are they going to do? 

I'd have been most delighted if they had traded up to #15 or so to get Gonzalez as he dropped. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

very happy it's not Levis ... lmao  

Had to endure some painstaking half an hour in the lead up to the pick and when they announced the pick, I got busy with someone at the door for another ten minutes.. 

I'm very happy with the pick selection though CB was the first choice. I think they tried to replace Adam Theilen. 

@NFLfan wanted Edge or CB. 

I'm not sure what would be Vikings plan now, as they have an empty CB room that they didn't address in free agency, let Patrick Peterson go, and pass defense was dead last even with him. Now they don't have any pick until #87! So, what are they going to do? 

I'd have been most delighted if they had traded up to #15 or so to get Gonzalez as he dropped. 

CB is deep, don't worry... I like your pick. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Media has literally crumbled in the more than 40 years since I first got in.    And on every level.   Local and national.   And it’s only getting worse.   How do you restore it?   How do you regain trust?   It takes decades to earn it, but can be lost in the blink of an eye these days.   

And it’s not just sports.   It’s politics, regular news, even entertainment.  

Sorry for getting up on my soap box,  but it’s hard to watch a once respected and badly needed profession steadily evaporate.  

Sigh….      :giveup:

Medias job is to get people to watch, listen, or click now.  Being accurate isn’t very important.

I love this pick.  Granted, I believe we wanted stroud but once the panthers traded we all knew that wasn’t going to happen.  AR in his raw form fits this offense.

- him and Taylor in the backfield is going to be a PROBLEM!  A qb and a rb that both run 4.3s-4.4s.  Imagine Lamar Jackson and and JK dobbins but JT who’s bigger and much more physical.  

- he fits well with our weapons and Shane’s vertical philosophy.  MPJ is one of the best possession WRs we have yet to see his deep game because we haven’t had a qb who could throw it deep.  Alec is going to get so many one on one bombs thrown to him!  I can’t wait to see all of the victims he’ll have in the future.  Woods is going to be a matchup nightmare.  Line him up wide and let AR zing it in to that big target.  McKenzie is going to eat, whether we use him as a burner or running drags underneath 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Medias job is to get people to watch, listen, or click now.  Being accurate isn’t very important.

Steve AvilaTCU good  rg  ?  need rg bad. 

O'Cyrus Torre  rg ,   6'5"330 lbsFlorida  

Pre-Draft Analysis

Torrence, one of the most dominant interior offensive linemen in the country last season, has excellent size and consistently gets movement in the run game. He latches on with his big hands and controls defensive linemen while moving laterally as zone blocker. He doesn't change directions well, but he has good length and a powerful punch. Torrence rarely gives ground as a pass protector.

4 hours ago, krunk said:

Yeah Yeah I know! Physically was the only thing i meant.  Hes definitely an elite athlete. Id be crazy to speak on anything more than that until he proves it.

I have a different take. It’s the media consumer that’s failing.  They give us what we want.  If it didn’t sell they’d do,it differently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I can’t say I’m happy with it, I think it is a huge swing for down the road potential. I’m ok with it. Mainly cause we didn’t trade up to do it.

Knowing that it’ll be two to three years down the road, do you start trading away the guys approaching 30?

God you’d think you’d have to.  Stockpile picks.  I don’t think we have many players/contracts that would yield much though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I love this pick.  Granted, I believe we wanted stroud but once the panthers traded we all knew that wasn’t going to happen.  AR in his raw form fits this offense.

- him and Taylor in the backfield is going to be a PROBLEM!  A qb and a rb that both run 4.3s-4.4s.  Imagine Lamar Jackson and and JK dobbins but JT who’s bigger and much more physical.  

- he fits well with our weapons and Shane’s vertical philosophy.  MPJ is one of the best possession WRs we have yet to see his deep game because we haven’t had a qb who could throw it deep.  Alec is going to get so many one on one bombs thrown to him!  I can’t wait to see all of the victims he’ll have in the future.  Woods is going to be a matchup nightmare.  Line him up wide and let AR zing it in to that big target.  McKenzie is going to eat, whether we use him as a burner or running drags underneath 

rg sucks   we need draft a ol  player  .    O'Cyrus Torrence'

Pre-Draft Analysis

Torrence, one of the most dominant interior offensive linemen in the country last season, has excellent size and consistently gets movement in the run game. He latches on with his big hands and controls defensive linemen while moving laterally as zone blocker. He doesn't change directions well, but he has good length and a powerful punch. Torrence rarely gives ground as a pass protector.

Just now, csmopar said:

Levis? Since when? 

Hooker has the torn ACL, none of the others were hurt that I knew of 

his foot

• Like 2

I'll say this about Richardson. He was the right pick 100%, in all facets for the Colts. Ballard has one chance to go for it with a QB as a GM, this is his HR swing. Richardson is a also a high upside/potential guy that can be just as good as the best in the AFC if he hits his ceiling. Levis and Hooker aren't that. Heck, they didn't even go in the first round. That's what teams think of them. Richardson is also a great fit under Steichen, a mix of many QBs that have been successful like Allen, Hurts, and Lamar. Finally, he is smart and willing to learn while only being 20 years old right now.

If we go down, this is how we should go down. The overall best QB I've ever seen in a draft live as far as a mix of size and athleticism.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll say this about Richardson. He was the right pick 100%, in all facets for the Colts. Ballard has one chance to go for it with a QB as a GM, this is his HR swing. Richardson is a also a high upside/potential guy that can be just as good as the best in the AFC if he hits his ceiling. Levis and Hooker aren't that. Heck, they didn't even go in the first round. That's what teams think of them. Richardson is also a great fit under Steichen, a mix of many QBs that have been successful like Allen, Hurts, and Lamar. Finally, he is smart and willing to learn while only being 20 years old right now.

If we go down, this is how we should go down. The overall best QB I've ever seen in a draft live as far as a mix of size and athleticism.

not much good when offence line get him killed like luck ?

3 minutes ago, fire cartier said:

Pre-Draft Analysis

his foot

agreed.  If porter isn’t there then we grab Torrence.  I’d honestly be ok with grabbing Torrence and then trading back into the second to grab a CB.  CB is deep and there multiple first round graded cbs left

4 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

some people prefer that kind of approach. 

i didn't mind it at all. rather him just flat out say not gonna talk about it, rather than dance around the question with generic coach speak. 

next question.

I 100% agree. If the media asks a stupid question, make it obvious their question was stupid, so no one else asks a stupid question. I’m tired of my head coach trying to just be friendly with everyone, and feeling he has to give some sort of answer. Don’t waste my time with a useless answer if you’re not actually going to say anything.

People think Nick Sirianni comes off as a jerk, but he freaking wins games. If you want a head coach that is the nicest person but can’t call plays to save his life, become a Panthers fan. You can also go there if you want someone who can’t manage a game, because Caldwell is there too. haha 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fire cartier said:

not much good when offence line get him killed like luck ?

I mean, Torrence and Avila are still there and all they have to do fall 3 more spots. Pretty sure Porter goes to Pittsburgh. So its basically 2 spots to get one of them. As long as we take one and respect how shallow the position is in the draft, we'll be fine. Fill depth at the position in the 5-7 round range.

8 minutes ago, fire cartier said:

Pre-Draft Analysis

his foot

No, you said Levis had a torn ACL. Where are getting that? Cause I’ve found no such reports online.

I like it a lot.

Most athletic QB of all time. That’s the BASE! The traits are ridiculous, and Shane and co. gets to develop him as a passer the way they want.

Shoot for the moon. If it fails, then so be it, but this was the correct way to go.

Kudos Morocco Brown and Chris Ballard.

• Like 3