Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Janoris Jenkins makes it past the Pats... We

Indeee

Take him at 34. Ive been on record as wanting Fleener, however the more I think about it who cares if this kid smokes weed you take him. We need a shut down man corner in 3-4 scheme. I really think if he's sitting there in late first round the Pats will take him. Smething tells me 'ole Beli doesn't care about weed smokers either

Take him at 34. Ive been on record as wanting Fleener, however the more I think about it who cares if this kid smokes weed you take him.

I care.

I care if he can't get on the field because he's getting suspended and I care if it shows a much broader disregard for a dedication to the game of football as he won't be able to succeed in the NFL without more hard work and dedication to learning (and following the rules of the NFL and the team).

Greg Cosell on NFL.com has Janoris Jenkins going 5th overall, LOL. Also, CB Stephen Gilmore going 3rd overall. He still thinks the Colts take RGIII though... One of the funniest mock drafts I've ever seen.

That's Cosell's ranking of players based on talent, not a draft order or prediction, as I recall.

As for the OP... I am going to get crushed, but I think I've been around long enough to survive a good beat-down... Maybe I'll tear-up a bit, but I'll recover quickly...

I think CB is the single most overrated, overpaid position in all of football. With all the new rules and limits placed on DBs, I simply don't think it matters as much today who is back there as do schemes and the ability to rush the passer. The Eagles and Jets have the best sets of CBs in the NFL, and neither made the playoffs last year. Look at the past SB winners - you have to go back a number of years to find what I'd consider a truly top of the charts shut down cover corner. The Colts won more games in the last decade without playing anything (almost) but soft cover-two zone. Did I always like it? Of course not. But this notion that a team has to have shut down corners to me, especially based on what the best of the best cost, is simply not true. So add that mindset to a rookie with about 1000 issues, and my answer is let him go on by to some other team...

I think CB is the single most overrated, overpaid position in all of football. With all the new rules and limits placed on DBs, I simply don't think it matters as much today who is back there as do schemes and the ability to rush the passer. The Eagles and Jets have the best sets of CBs in the NFL, and neither made the playoffs last year. Look at the past SB winners - you have to go back a number of years to find what I'd consider a truly top of the charts shut down cover corner. The Colts won more games in the last decade without playing anything (almost) but soft cover-two zone. Did I always like it? Of course not. But this notion that a team has to have shut down corners to me, especially based on what the best of the best cost, is simply not true. So add that mindset to a rookie with about 1000 issues, and my answer is let him go on by to some other team...

I'll co-sign this and take the heat with you.

Good post.

Don't care about the dope smoke as a practicality, but if I was Grigson, I'd either pass or at least not inhale. Liabilities are no good in the NFL, and if your not smart enough to effectivly hide the use, your probably going to get in trouble in the future. The Colts can live without, regardless of upside potential.

That's Cosell's ranking of players based on talent, not a draft order or prediction, as I recall.

As for the OP... I am going to get crushed, but I think I've been around long enough to survive a good beat-down... Maybe I'll tear-up a bit, but I'll recover quickly...

I somewhat agree with you but I think you need a good collective group at cb. Just look at the Giants they have some good corners not elite but they get the job done. Along with that pass rush it just makes them that much harder to deal with. Ill take 3 good corners over 1 elite and 2 average ones

I somewhat agree with you but I think you need a good collective group at cb. Just look at the Giants they have some good corners not elite but they get the job done. Along with that pass rush it just makes them that much harder to deal with. Ill take 3 good corners over 1 elite and 2 average ones

I agree you can't have CB last on your priority list - it's a passing league. You can't expect 7th rounders every year to be effective. And obviously pass rush effectiveness goes hand in hand with ability to cover long enough to let the rushers get there. But I truly think you can find quality, in this draft for sure as well as most others, in later rounds who aren't divas, aren't afraid to tackle, are or can be adequate in man and zone. I want four good players back there, not a guy who wants Revis money in four years and never gets his uniform dirty. Not to mention taking the team lawyer into courts and NFL offices multiple times.

They have Fleener in many mock drafts going in the first round to teams picking in the 20s. Other people have him going to the Giants because that was the glaring need on their team. After Fleener is taken the talent in the draft for TE drops to players who are only expected to be picked no earlier than the 4th round. Because of this I think taking Janoris Jenkins is a great pick. The NFL is becoming a passing league, and we have to be prepared for that on defense.

I care.

I care if he can't get on the field because he's getting suspended and I care if it shows a much broader disregard for a dedication to the game of football as he won't be able to succeed in the NFL without more hard work and dedication to learning (and following the rules of the NFL and the team).

I have said the same but it's very likely he will give up weed for a multimillion dollar career. If He wants to quit, it shouldn't be to difficult at all. Hard drugs are hard to quit because the body is dependent and the whole body freaks out. Quitting weed should be easier than quitting caffeine .

I would take the chance.

I have said the same but it's very likely he will give up weed for a multimillion dollar career. If He wants to quit, it shouldn't be to difficult at all. Hard drugs are hard to quit because the body is dependent and the whole body freaks out. Quitting weed should be easier than quitting caffeine .

I would take the chance.

I know.

Seriously, the man smoked enough weed and got in enough trouble to get kicked off a team in the SEC. Do you know how hard that is for a talented player?

He couldn't stop smoking to stay on at an elite football program. He couldn't stay out of trouble enough to stay on at an elite football program. That says to me that he's someone who thinks he can do both, which means I don't like the chances of him quitting.

I say draft him early and often.... all teams except the Colts!!

I can't help to think this guy won't quit 420, won't toe the line, won't try to get better, won't be thankful for an opportunity, won't be anything except a cancer in the locker room, and won't make it onto the field often enough. Yes draft him, you other 31 teams! Colts... hands off the draft telephone!

I know.

Seriously, the man smoked enough weed and got in enough trouble to get kicked off a team in the SEC. Do you know how hard that is for a talented player?

He couldn't stop smoking to stay on at an elite football program. He couldn't stay out of trouble enough to stay on at an elite football program. That says to me that he's someone who thinks he can do both, which means I don't like the chances of him quitting.

Keep in mind his settings will change, weed is rampant on campus and most of his friends are probably smokers.

I've known people from H.S. that smoked to their mid twenties , and don't smoke at all anymore. More responsibilities is usually the cause.

Take him at 34. Ive been on record as wanting Fleener, however the more I think about it who cares if this kid smokes weed you take him. We need a shut down man corner in 3-4 scheme. I really think if he's sitting there in late first round the Pats will take him. Smething tells me 'ole Beli doesn't care about weed smokers either

Cheaters don't care about pot smokers.

for me it comes down to Guard or Corner we desperately need a Guard that situation is ugly, nothing but backups or unproven starters their at the same time in my opinion as it stands our #1 Corner is unproven at best in his 4+ year career decisions decisions

Don't care about the dope smoke as a practicality, but if I was Grigson, I'd either pass or at least not inhale. Liabilities are no good in the NFL, and if your not smart enough to effectivly hide the use, your probably going to get in trouble in the future. The Colts can live without, regardless of upside potential.

Werd. This is the Colts, not the Cowboys. Build it right, I am more than willing to wait.

It's either boom or bust for Jenkins.

BUST....as in busted for drugs is what will happen. It is one thing to take a kid with character issues. Say someone that got in fights or was in the wrong situation at the wrong time. Made a few young dumb mistakes but is steering clear. It is a WHOLE other subject to take someone that has an ADDICTION. I know people will probably give me a hard time but I have seen what weed can do to people. Likely he has coping issues and the weed is his way to deal. Fact is that is a whole heck of a lot harder to kick than an attitude adjustment. Even people I know in college that eventually quit will get cravings and pick it up from time to time because it can be so powerful how it can make you feel. People go back to that stuff even after walking away. I say steer clear. This isn't I >>>ed up and I learned and moved on. This kid has a problem. Unless he falls into rounds 3 or later and you got a plan for the kid we can't afford giving up pick number 34 and it not be a starter for a number of years.

I see where you are coming from. I agree somewhat but also good corners give your defense time to get more sacks. It also allows safteys to roll over to one side of the field and help double cover a guy when you know you got one locked down. If we had really good corners perhaps we don't need a Revis but if we know our number 2 receiver is locked down and we feel ok on the slot guy then that allows the saftey to roll help and provide double teams on those number 1 type guys that we can't match up with. I do get what your saying. To me it isn't so much about having Deon or Revis but having really good corner depth like say the 49ers do.

I agree. I would like to see us go with defensive line help. Then OG at 3. CB at 4. TE and WR with those two 5th rounders. Then the last 3 picks can be whatever. That is what I would like but who knows how it will fall.

His coaches might care if he smokes weed because he might be more concerned with that than with improving as a football player. And if that happens, Grigs would care because he wasted his first 2nd round pick ever as a GM despite knowing full well the guy has some off the field issues. Then the fans would care because we aren't drafting well. Not saying we shouldn't take him, just showing the other side of it

I care.

So everyone seems to think there is no chance possible he could have learned something and change his ways???

Ill take the chance, the idea of the game is to put your best talent out their but I'd prefer to get him in the third after Zeitler but if we get him in the second I'd be happy, the guy has great skills and so far what we have seen from the Corner talent we have been fielding out their Jenkins would be an instant #1 for us

BUST....as in busted for drugs is what will happen. It is one thing to take a kid with character issues. Say someone that got in fights or was in the wrong situation at the wrong time. Made a few young dumb mistakes but is steering clear. It is a WHOLE other subject to take someone that has an ADDICTION. I know people will probably give me a hard time but I have seen what weed can do to people. Likely he has coping issues and the weed is his way to deal. Fact is that is a whole heck of a lot harder to kick than an attitude adjustment. Even people I know in college that eventually quit will get cravings and pick it up from time to time because it can be so powerful how it can make you feel. People go back to that stuff even after walking away.

Bull-corn! Personal experience tells me addicts can change and this guy is nothing close to being addicted more like a guy having a beer or two after work but with the changes in his professional prospects he might have learned something.

He deserves a chance because people can change, besides with his talent can the Colts afford to pass him up?

and you born guaranteed dough on an * who is entitled. And has NEVER had to be accountable in his life.

Proof.... how many young-ens does DUDE have.

JJ

So everyone seems to think there is no chance possible he could have learned something and change his ways???

Are you serious? How many times does one get?

"Stupid is as stupid does".... The Legendary Forrest Gump.;

But alas... 3rd round... take him.

Bull-corn! Personal experience tells me addicts can change and this guy is nothing close to being addicted more like a guy having a beer or two after work but with the changes in his professional prospects he might have learned something.

He deserves a chance because people can change, besides with his talent can the Colts afford to pass him up?

They all fail MULTIPLE times before rock bottom hits. And Rock Bottom takes a very long time.

They all fail MULTIPLE times before rock bottom hits. And Rock Bottom takes a very long time.

I never hit rock bottom but it was a few feet away and it took half a dozen tries to quit smoking cigarettes! It doesn't matter how many tries it takes as long as you try. I'm not saying he is clean I'm just saying he might be worth a gamble.

This is the silliest statement I have ever read on this board. How can U possibly presume to know the level, or lack there of, of JJ's journey? By an internet report?

Where there is smoke there IS fire.

I never hit rock bottom but it was a few feet away and it took half a dozen tries to quit smoking cigarettes! It doesn't matter how many tries it takes as long as you try. I'm not saying he is clean I'm just saying he might be worth a gamble.

Oh Lord... well bless you for kicking the habit.

But I assure you, ... it gets a lot harder.

This is the silliest statement I have ever read on this board. How can U possibly presume to know the level, or lack there of, of JJ's journey? By an internet report?

Where there is smoke there IS fire.

I don't claim to know anything other than the fact he has issues. Most everyone is condemning him for using an illegal substance and I am advocating another chance, not silly just open minded.

Oh Lord... well bless you for kicking the habit.

But I assure you, ... it gets a lot harder.

I wasn't looking for your blessing, it was an example that anyone could change and I assure you it finally was the best choice and after a while it was easy.

I don't claim to know anything other than the fact he has issues. Most everyone is condemning him for using an illegal substance and I am advocating another chance, not silly just open minded.

So you are not aware JJ has been nailed for Mary Jane possession more than once?