Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Smoke screen or smoke signal?

stitches

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I don't think it's either of these, because I don't think the Colts leaked this info about Levis' workout. 

It's not neccesary to be leaked by the Colts, might be leaked by someone else and be indicative of Colts' real intentions... 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's not neccesary to be leaked by the Colts, might be leaked by someone else and be indicative of Colts' real intentions... 

How would it be indicative of the Colts intentions if it's not leaked by the Colts?

I'm operating under the assumption that the Colts sent the same contingent to each of the QB workouts, and leaked nothing, so the only difference is that someone with a source at the Levis workout, but not with the Colts, leaked the specifics of the contingent. 

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

But for Colts to send so many people I think its a smoke signal

What if they sent the same exact people to the Young/Stroud/Richardson workouts?

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

How would it be indicative of the Colts intentions if it's not leaked by the Colts?

I'm operating under the assumption that the Colts sent the same contingent to each of the QB workouts, and leaked nothing, so the only difference is that someone with a source at the Levis workout, but not with the Colts, leaked the specifics of the contingent. 

What if they sent the same exact people to the Young/Stroud/Richardson workouts?

Yeah... I think I have the same assumption. They all probably went on the same trip from California(Tuesday) to Gainesville(Wednesday) to Lexington(Thursday) and likely used the team plane, like it was leaked by people in Florida. 

I guess we can add a 3d option - Smoke screen, smoke signal or nothing of note... 

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think they did send same. I think a lot of people were questioning why did Breer have the info about everyone at KY and not the others. Most likely leaked by the college.

29 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah... I think I have the same assumption. They all probably went on the same trip from California(Tuesday) to Gainesville(Wednesday) to Lexington(Thursday) and likely used the team plane, like it was leaked by people in Florida. 

I guess we can add a 3d option - Smoke screen, smoke signal or nothing of note... 

Now if only Steichen and Cam Turner were in CA, while everyone was in Kentucky, that would mean something to me. But that's unknown at this point, so I'm assuming that it was the same group at all four workouts.

A media member shared the information he had. 

I don't think it's either a smoke screen or a smoke signal.  It's the Colts doing their due diligence.

EVERY SINGLE TEAM in the NFL - at this point in the draft process - are doing "deep dives" in the "due diligence department".

Who cares who goes to a private workout?  It's not like they're offering him a contract at this point.

Another thing to consider - the Colts may have been contacted about a trade for the #4 pick - and - they may be looking at trading back and collecting more draft resources.  Perhaps the Colts are looking at QBs more likely to be available at their new drafting position BEFORE saying yes to a deal?

Wasn't it Reggie Wayne who said he worked out for 31 teams and was drafted by the one team that never met with him? Dunno it was a former Colt star.....but the point is, I don't think who attends (1) event is telling either way......so I will say "Smoke Signal" 

It makes sense that if you're considering taking Levis you get him in here and run him through the things you want to see him do and make an event out of it with all the decision makers present.

This might happen with Richardson as well, along with the other top QBs they are considering.  Even though I don't think Richardson is in play for Indy due to the fact he is a boom/bust project, his upside alone means they should look at him as well.

But beyond all of this the most important thing might be getting Levis in the room with Irsay and make sure the old man approves of the QB and can get behind him being the new face of the franchise.  Because hitting on a QB is about finding the guy who will do the work to climb that mountain and reach the summit where the seasoned top QBs reside.  When you consider the work required plus the resilience navigating through everyone throwing all the blame or praise on them by turn for everything, it has to be one of the toughest jobs in sports.

So for Levis it's about do you like the kid.  Does the owner like him.  Does Ballard believe this is the guy who can save his job.  I think that is what they're navigating through right now and this workout is part of that effort.

3 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

It makes sense that if you're considering taking Levis you get him in here and run him through the things you want to see him do and make an event out of it with all the decision makers present.

This might happen with Richardson as well, along with the other top QBs they are considering.  Even though I don't think Richardson is in play for Indy due to the fact he is a boom/bust project, his upside alone means they should look at him as well.

But beyond all of this the most important thing might be getting Levis in the room with Irsay and make sure the old man approves of the QB and can get behind him being the new face of the franchise.  Because hitting on a QB is about finding the guy who will do the work to climb that mountain and reach the summit where the seasoned top QBs reside.  When you consider the work required plus the resilience navigating through everyone throwing all the blame or praise on them by turn for everything, it has to be one of the toughest jobs in sports.

So for Levis it's about do you like the kid.  Does the owner like him.  Does Ballard believe this is the guy who can save his job.  I think that is what they're navigating through right now and this workout is part of that effort.

I think Levis has  a top 30 visit with colts coming up. Same with Richardson. Then all four were worked out privately with all the big guns there last week. I hope your right about Richardson.

On 4/7/2023 at 9:46 AM, Indeee said:

My friend, that's what I said. Re-read what I wrote. I stated George in-between Jones and Harbough. I'm not saying Harbough was great, I'm saying compared to all the others in-between Jones and Manning, Harbough was the best. 

I’m read it initially as you saying George was picked after Harbaugh. 

Private work outs are for us to see what a QB can do: does he have touch? can he throw the fade? can he throw the check down without throwing 100 miles per hour? What is his footwork like? Can he throw the ball overhead, sidearm etc? We already know he (Levis and Richardson) can throw the bomb pretty well.

Top 30 visits are to see the QB's football IQ looking at film and drawing plays out on the white board. Can he recognize the mistakes he made on his own film? Can he tell us why he did a certain thing on a certain play? Can he go through progressions? What does he see pre snap? 

Any visit is also about seeing how the QB acts socially and what are his priorities in life. Is he willing to learn or is he a narcissist? Are hunting, video games, women, money or whatever else distractions from film study? What is his work ethic like? Does his teammates like him? Is he a leader or a tyrant or a dummy?

When all of these questions are answered, we then have to decide if he is worth drafting at the slot we have. Should we move up, stay put or trade back and get more picks? It's going to be interesting this year, that's for sure.

Interesting this “leaks” after the rumors of Titans trading up to 3 to get AR.  We all know Ballard is cheap and doesn’t like to trade up.  So this feels like him trying to shine a bright light on Levis so that no one feels the need to jump in front of us for AR. He doesn’t want to create a bidding war for pick #3. 

Regardless, I still think we should move up to #3 now and ensure us the ability to pick whomever we choose.  Be it Anderson, AR, or one of Stroud or Young if they happen to fall.  And what if there’s a back door possibility of Panthers liking AR but they don’t want to take him at 1 and fear they would miss out on him at 4 but think he’ll be there at 3?   We’d be in position to move up again and help the Panthers recoup some draft capital and they can still get their QB if we’re at pick 3.  Plus they have a proven vet in Andy Dalton. So they can afford to sit a young QB like AR for a year or 2 and let him learn.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

@stitches

Holder says Colts' staffers aren't talking. Makes even more sense that the leak was not from the Colts.

I think Breer confirmed that the whole travelling party made the round trip around the country last week, so it wasn't special treatment for Levis' workout: 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/04/10/shane-steichen-builds-new-colts-culture

Steichen and Ballard are certainly doing the homework now to accomplish that. Last week, those two, Cooter, quarterbacks coach Cam Turner, assistant GM Ed Dodds and college scouting director Matt Terpening literally went coast to coast to study signal-callers. On Monday, they were in California with Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud and Alabama’s Bryce Young. Tuesday, they were in Utah with BYU’s Jaren Hall. Wednesday, they were in Gainesville with Florida’s Anthony Richardson. Thursday, it was to Lexington for Kentucky’s Will Levis.

BTW... here's another one... in the same day Breer posted an article about Steichen with some inside access given by the team, Breer specifically mentioned Levis as a possibility for the Colts in a second article he posted today: 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/04/10/nfl-draft-top-seven-picks-quarterbacks-trades

GM Chris Ballard is methodical, so it’s also certainly possible that he looked at the four quarterbacks, didn’t see a huge gap in mid-March, and was O.K. passing. Or maybe he looked at Lamar Jackson as a real postdraft option if he wasn’t comfortable with who was there. Either way, I know Ballard won’t be afraid to take on a player—at any position, really—who’s got traits and needs development (he was part of the Patrick Mahomes evaluation in Kansas City, remember), so someone like Levis shouldn’t ruled out if Young and Stroud are gone at fourth.

On 4/6/2023 at 4:19 PM, stitches said:

Here's new series I'm starting and everybody is welcome to participate in the ones already posted or to post their own pieces of news that has leaked in the media during this month of smokescreens.  I guess for the purposes of the exercise I would define smokescreen as a piece of information that the team has released in order to fool other teams or the media/fans about their true intentions, while a smoke signal would be piece of information that was leaked that conveyed truthful intention or interest by the team. The first piece of news I want to put to the vote of Colts fans is this: 

The factual part of the tweet is not under question here. The Colts indeed worked out Levis today and all those coaches and FO people were at the workout. BUT... here comes the interesting part - this is the only workout the Colts have had where the whole travelling party was published by a media source. So the question is... is this smoke screen or is it smoke signal? 

Is this the Colts releasing this info with the intention of making other teams believe they have more serious interest in Levis than they actually do? Or is it a smokesignal - i.e. Colts' interest is indeed special in Levis and the huge travelling party to Kentucky is truthful representation of intent? 

What say you, Colts fans? Smoke screen or smoke signal? 

Smoke signal that they are taking a QB.

I like this topic a lot. You should do this every year.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

BTW... here's another one... in the same day Breer posted an article about Steichen with some inside access given by the team, Breer specifically mentioned Levis as a possibility for the Colts in a second article he posted today: 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/04/10/nfl-draft-top-seven-picks-quarterbacks-trades

GM Chris Ballard is methodical, so it’s also certainly possible that he looked at the four quarterbacks, didn’t see a huge gap in mid-March, and was O.K. passing. Or maybe he looked at Lamar Jackson as a real postdraft option if he wasn’t comfortable with who was there. Either way, I know Ballard won’t be afraid to take on a player—at any position, really—who’s got traits and needs development (he was part of the Patrick Mahomes evaluation in Kansas City, remember), so someone like Levis shouldn’t ruled out if Young and Stroud are gone at fourth.

I think it's interesting that he keyed in on Levis here, instead of Levis or Richardson... So I'm gonna say there's maybe a little something to this, although he could have just been spitballing. IDK

I think it's interesting that he keyed in on Levis here, instead of Levis or Richardson... So I'm gonna say there's maybe a little something to this, although he could have just been spitballing. IDK

I wonder if Colts leaked that on purpose to get the news off of Richardson for them. Maybe Breer was asked to leak that. 

Also though maybe Breer expects another team to move to 3 for Richardson and was thinking Levis was the only one left. 

It is curios to know why just Levis was mentioned there.

They did not have the same entourage at the Young, Stroud and Jaren Hall workouts - but, because there always is a but, Stroud and Young will go 1-2 and they’re probably pretty settled on what they bring to the table.

Levis and AR15 on the other hand are massively physically talented but not as polished nor as close to a finished product (my opinion) as the other two so the huge entourage is required to make sure everyone is on the same evaluation page……

Just my two cents….

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

They did not have the same entourage at the Young, Stroud and Jaren Hall workouts - but, because there always is a but, Stroud and Young will go 1-2 and they’re probably pretty settled on what they bring to the table.

Levis and AR15 on the other hand are massively physically talented but not as polished nor as close to a finished product (my opinion) as the other two so the huge entourage is required to make sure everyone is on the same evaluation page……

Just my two cents….

Pretty sure Breer reported the same entourage went to all of them.

9 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I wonder if Colts leaked that on purpose to get the news off of Richardson for them. Maybe Breer was asked to leak that. 

Also though maybe Breer expects another team to move to 3 for Richardson and was thinking Levis was the only one left. 

It is curios to know why just Levis was mentioned there.

Maybe the Colts leaked the two day visit from Richardson to entice a team that wants him to trade with the Cardinals. I have a feeling Anderson is at the top of their board and will draft him . If they feel either Levis or Hooker will be available later in round 1, they will trade up from their early round 2 pick.

9 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is a interesting story on how far teams will go to make it look like they are interested in someone they aren’t. I think Ballard was with bears at this time.

I don’t think there has been any smokescreens for any of these guys. It is strange though Breer mentioned Levis. 

You don’t think there has been a smokescreen for any of these guys?   Huh? 

It’s Lying Season.   Why would anyone think NFL execs are being honest?   You give an example of Ballard putting out a smokescreen and you use that to say you don’t think there are any smoke screens?!?!? 

I think everyone’s general Rule of Thumb should be EVERYONE is Lying, because that’s what everyone does this time of year.   

53 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s Lying Season.   Why would anyone think NFL execs are being honest?   You give an example of Ballard putting out a smokescreen and you use that to say you don’t think there are any smoke screens?!?!? 

I think everyone’s general Rule of Thumb should be EVERYONE is Lying, because that’s what everyone does this time of year.   

I don’t know. Maybe. Something we will never know.  One of the local media guys said a few weeks back Ballard could tell you to your face what his actual plans are and because it’s lying season no one would believe him lol. Just seems there hasn’t been any thing kept quiet with any of these QB visiting or having private workouts. It’s all been out there if the media,

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t know. Maybe. Something we will never know.  One of the local media guys said a few weeks back Ballard could tell you to your face what his actual plans are and because it’s lying season no one would believe him lol. Just seems there hasn’t been any thing kept quiet with any of these QB visiting or having private workouts. It’s all been out there if the media,

Forgive the metaphor, but you seem to think the part of the iceberg you can see is all of the iceberg there actually is.   After all, you can see it.    

But it’s the part that you can’t see below the water line that does the real damage.   

So you’re assuming that the information that’s out there is all the info that there is.  I’d respectfully suggest that most of what we know is either 100 percent false, or mostly false, or false enough to throw people off the track.   Plus, none of us knows the real stories that are not being made public at all.   Those stories take days, weeks, months, even years to tell.  Like the Ballard story you just posted today that is over 10 years old.   That is far more common than most here realize. 

Just saying….

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Forgive the metaphor, but you seem to think the part of the iceberg you can see is all of the iceberg there actually is.   After all, you can see it.    

But it’s the part that you can’t see below the water line that does the real damage.   

So you’re assuming that the information that’s out there is all the info that there is.  I’d respectfully suggest that most of what we know is either 100 percent false, or mostly false, or false enough to throw people off the track.   Plus, none of us knows the real stories that are not being made public at all.   Those stories take days, weeks, months, even years to tell.  Like the Ballard story you just posted today that is over 10 years old.   That is far more common than most here realize. 

Just saying….

I have no idea what your talking about. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yet, Ballard and Co have said as close to nothing as possible. They haven't even done anything. The one noteworthy comment Ballard made a few weeks ago was 'we're considering all options, including Lamar,' and then a couple weeks later Irsay basically blew that out of the water. It's possible that's all bait, and they hooked me, but I think that's pretty transparent.

Of course it's lying season, no one should be trusted, but it doesn't seem like the Colts are driving much of the conversation. There are barely any Colts-related rumors, especially from any reputable media people. 

I don’t think it’s either. But I think it leans more towards smoke signal is I had to chose. It was reported that the Colts had scouts at multiple Florida and Kentucky games this past CFB season. We also know how much Ballard values traits. It is impossible (especially when dealing with QBs) to keep everything in house. You can be as silent to the media as possible, but connections will be made. Eventually you have to send someone to a pro-day. You eventually have to have an interview, private workout, top-30 visit, etc…

The Colts do have legitimate interest in Will Levis. That I don’t doubt at all. They also have legitimate interest in Richardson (Morocco Brown was at his pro day and talked with him). But I don’t think there’s anything that definitively points to who they prefer.

Yet, Ballard and Co have said as close to nothing as possible. They haven't even done anything. The one noteworthy comment Ballard made a few weeks ago was 'we're considering all options, including Lamar,' and then a couple weeks later Irsay basically blew that out of the water. It's possible that's all bait, and they hooked me, but I think that's pretty transparent.

Of course it's lying season, no one should be trusted, but it doesn't seem like the Colts are driving much of the conversation. There are barely any Colts-related rumors, especially from any reputable media people. 

Honestly….  My post was more focused on drafting a quarterback than trading for one.   I viewed the Ballard/Irsay comments as the minimum to deal with the tremendous curiosity over Lamar.    They’re a stand alone. 

And as to the draft,  I’m not just talking from the Colts perspective but from the perspective of posters reacting to any comment or factoid made by any other team that is also considering a quarterback.   People are heavily invested in this and I think too many are reading too much into the process.   They’re forgetting that it’s Lying Season.   No upside to telling the truth.    They’re lying by what they say and do AND lying by what they don’t say or do.   I’m trying to preach believe nothing, or believe little.   Because to believe most of this adds only confusion and will likely lead to disappointment.  

Hope I’ve made my meaning more clear.  Please follow up if you’d like. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly….  My post was more focused on drafting a quarterback than trading for one.   I viewed the Ballard/Irsay comments as the minimum to deal with the tremendous curiosity over Lamar.    They’re a stand alone. 

And as to the draft,  I’m not just talking from the Colts perspective but from the perspective of posters reacting to any comment or factoid made by any other team that is also considering a quarterback.   People are heavily invested in this and I think too many are reading too much into the process.   They’re forgetting that it’s Lying Season.   No upside to telling the truth.    They’re lying by what they say and do AND lying by what they don’t say or do.   I’m trying to preach believe nothing, or believe little.   Because to believe most of this adds only confusion and will likely lead to disappointment.  

Hope I’ve made my meaning more clear.  Please follow up if you’d like. 

I agree with you in general. I was more focused on the Colts perspective as it pertains to this coming QB decision, in which the Colts have basically been silent. For the most part, they seem to have given the top four QB prospects equal attention and consideration so far. We're basically grasping at straws to find something that means something, and I don't think there's really anything to go off of. 

But yeah, in general, taking random, innocuous statements as fact, or reading into a team's perceived interest in a prospect, is probably a waste of time. To your point, the Colts might not have much interest in one of the four QBs, but still jumped through all the hoops so as to not give away their preference. And other teams have probably done the same. Because it's lying season.

23 minutes ago, stitches said:

Smoke screen or smoke signal? Colts not interested in Lamar? 

Id guess the Colts are modestly interested right up to the moment where they are officially not.    His comment was a bit of a non-denial denial.   A deflection.   But not a direct answer.   

On 4/11/2023 at 1:59 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is a interesting story on how far teams will go to make it look like they are interested in someone they aren’t. I think Ballard was with bears at this time.

I don’t think there has been any smokescreens for any of these guys. It is strange though Breer mentioned Levis. 

Thinking back to this story. Colts could of been going all over to visit Richardson to make it look like they want him when he isn’t the intended target. 

Archived