Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Smoke screen or smoke signal?

stitches

13 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It is funny Levis keeps coming up. Colts leaking thst to make it look like the want him when it’s really Richardson.

All this is nonsense…

Whatever “smoke screen” the Colts might put out is irrelevant for Panthers and Texans as they pick ahead of us. If Ballard really wanted to control whether he can get Levis or Richardson, he will move to pick 3 from Arizona. That is if Young and Stroud is taken at that point as expected.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I think Ballard's comments yesterday about no one knowing what the Colts want to do are definitely more smoke screen than anything else. Doesn't mean the reports he's refuting are necessarily true, and he's trying to redirect. But I think he was strategically combating the narratives about who they like and who they've targeted, etc. He didn't have to do that, so I assume he said what he did for a reason. 

I believe the Colts have been running a pretty tight ship all offseason. So Ballard saying people don't have any inside info is probably true. But his decision to counter those reports was probably incited by the recent rumors about them being zeroed in on Levis. And if that was completely off base, it would probably be better for Ballard to let those rumors continue to percolate. 

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think Ballard's comments yesterday about no one knowing what the Colts want to do are definitely more smoke screen than anything else. Doesn't mean the reports he's refuting are necessarily true, and he's trying to redirect. But I think he was strategically combating the narratives about who they like and who they've targeted, etc. He didn't have to do that, so I assume he said what he did for a reason. 

I believe the Colts have been running a pretty tight ship all offseason. So Ballard saying people don't have any inside info is probably true. But his decision to counter those reports was probably incited by the recent rumors about them being zeroed in on Levis. And if that was completely off base, it would probably be better for Ballard to let those rumors continue to percolate. 

That is a good point.

On another note: One thing that annoyed me with the pre-draft presser yesterday was that nobody asked how many QBs they have the first round grade on. That could be telling if Ballard didn’t say four. But to be honest, I would probably not answer that question if I was him, lol. 

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

Bingo. Why would you debunk a smokescreen you put out there. I think he is being truthful. You just can’t target one person when you don’t know how things will unfold.

What this video how irritated Ballard looks about the stuff that is out there. He looks like a guy trying to difuse the truth. Texans are rumored to have Levis ahead of stroud. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

That is a good point.

On another note: One thing that annoyed me with the pre-draft presser yesterday was that nobody asked how many QBs they have the first round grade on. That could be telling if Ballard didn’t say four. But to be honest, I would probably not answer that question if I was him, lol. 

I doubt he would of answered that. But if he is telling the truth about they might move to 3 then there has to be one QB they don’t want.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Bingo. Why would you debunk a smokescreen you put out there. I think he is being truthful. You just can’t target one person when you don’t know how things will unfold.

What this video how irritated Ballard looks about the stuff that is out there. He looks like a guy trying to difuse the truth. Texans are rumored to have Levis ahead of stroud. 

You keep saying this, but I do not believe the Colts are the source of the rumors in the first place. So I don't think he's debunking his own smoke screen. 

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

You keep saying this, but I do not believe the Colts are the source of the rumors in the first place. So I don't think he's debunking his own smoke screen. 

I never said colts were the source of the rumors. But maybe the coaches and GM’s who have been asked their opinion are right.

My point was a lot of fans say Ballard was telling fans it won’t be Levis when he said that. Fans have been saying colts have leaked that Levis stuff. They haven’t so it isn’t a smokesceeen. But that makes no sense he would debunking if he had so fans are wrong. I think we were saying the same thing. Seems every time Levis name comes up it’s always a smokescreen but with Richardson fans claim it’s going to be him and the truth. Fans are wild.

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

I didn't think too much about it in the press-conference. But then I saw the Colts internal media ask him the same question in studio and he gave a very similar answer. It sounded a bit like he "doth protest too much"... It's possible even if by accident some of those reports might have gotten it right... OR.... the Colts have leaked the Levis thing on purpose(smokescreen) and now he's pretending we don't leak... 

I guess we will see next week. 

Just now, stitches said:

I didn't think too much about it in the press-conference. But then I saw the Colts internal media ask him the same question in studio and he gave a very similar answer. It sounded a bit like he "doth protest too much"... It's possible even if by accident some of those reports might have gotten it right... I guess we will see next week. 

If it Levis I don’t think it’s so hard to figure out when you know the colts well and what Steichen and Ballard have said. Also looking at this roster and where it is with a lot of vets still in their prime. I might be proven wrong Thursday but it seems obvious to me. Stroud is the one that could throw a wrinkle into this.

BTW for whatever it's worth. I am forgiving ANY and EVERY lie, smokescreen, misleading statement, even truth uttered, if it leads to us ending up with whoever we are targeting. Ultimately this time of year, his job is to get the player he wants most, not to be truthful with the media. 

I remember when everyone under the sun thought Miami was taking TUA. It all proved to be true. So you never know what is truth or not. 

I still think that one of these guys colts don’t want at 4 since Ballard said he might move to 3. So something tells me they have one ahead of of the other two or one they don’t want.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I never said colts were the source of the rumors. But maybe the coaches and GM’s who have been asked their opinion are right.

My point was a lot of fans say Ballard was telling fans it won’t be Levis when he said that. Fans have been saying colts have leaked that Levis stuff. They haven’t so it isn’t a smokesceeen. But that makes no sense he would debunking if he had so fans are wrong. I think we were saying the same thing. Seems every time Levis name comes up it’s always a smokescreen but with Richardson fans claim it’s going to be him and the truth. Fans are wild.

I guess I wasn't understanding you before. You're saying Ballard is debunking the rumor, so that probably means the source of the rumor isn't the Colts? If so, I agree in theory, but it could still be gamesmanship. Either way, I don't think anyone outside the building has serious intel on what the Colts want to do. I think it's possible to know that the Colts have liked a player for a long time, but there's a lot more info that will go into the final decision.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I didn't think too much about it in the press-conference. But then I saw the Colts internal media ask him the same question in studio and he gave a very similar answer. It sounded a bit like he "doth protest too much"... It's possible even if by accident some of those reports might have gotten it right... OR.... the Colts have leaked the Levis thing on purpose(smokescreen) and now he's pretending we don't leak... 

I guess we will see next week. 

I haven't watched the inside interview yet. But his comment yesterday seemed volunteered on his part, not a direct answer to anyone's question. And it came at the end of the presser, so it's like he wanted to make sure he got that comment off before they finished. 

And it's like you said, Ballard saying 'they haven't heard anything from us' doesn't necessarily mean 'they are wrong, we don't like the player everyone thinks we like.' 

1 hour ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

That is a good point.

That would have been a great question. I'm not a fan of how Indy reporters handle press conferences. This is a good example of why. 

I'm also kind of surprised they didn't ask about Lamar. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

That would have been a great question. I'm not a fan of how Indy reporters handle press conferences. This is a good example of why. 

I'm also kind of surprised they didn't ask about Lamar. 

Sometimes I swear they are being told what topics to stay away from and what topics are green lighted ahead of time.  There questions are so soft vanilla.  I think everyone on this site could do a better job of asking questions than those guys.  

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I guess I wasn't understanding you before. You're saying Ballard is debunking the rumor, so that probably means the source of the rumor isn't the Colts? If so, I agree in theory, but it could still be gamesmanship. Either way, I don't think anyone outside the building has serious intel on what the Colts want to do. I think it's possible to know that the Colts have liked a player for a long time, but there's a lot more info that will go into the final decision.

I haven't watched the inside interview yet. But his comment yesterday seemed volunteered on his part, not a direct answer to anyone's question. And it came at the end of the presser, so it's like he wanted to make sure he got that comment off before they finished. 

And it's like you said, Ballard saying 'they haven't heard anything from us' doesn't necessarily mean 'they are wrong, we don't like the player everyone thinks we like.' 

No I wasn’t saying Ballard was debunking the rumor. I was mocking the people yesterday who kept saying reports in media Levis was going to colts was a smokescreen. It clearing isn’t a smokescreen by colts especially with the way Ballard debunked it.  Why would Ballard debunk a smokescreen he wanted out there.  He would want to keep that going if it was a smokescreen not try to put the fire out.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

In the internal interview he went a step further. He said "I'm pretty confident that our information is staying in house. Especially with some of the stuff I hear, I know it's staying in house". He pretty much is saying whatever is being reported is not just not coming from us, but also false. 

19 hours ago, stitches said:

In the internal interview he went a step further. He said "I'm pretty confident that our information is staying in house. Especially with some of the stuff I hear, I know it's staying in house". He pretty much is saying whatever is being reported is not just not coming from us, but also false. 

I think he was saying more that colts aren’t targeting one player like be reported  because until the draft board calls you just don’t know.

Archived