Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts planning to release Matt Ryan

CR91

2 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

Ballard is going down swinging, putting an offer in for Lamar.

Nope.  Anything not comical, the Ravens match.  They already offered Lamar 2nd best contract and Lamar turned it down.

If by some chance think can get by that, you make that offer after the NFL draft.  Take BPA at 4, and then sign Lamar with the thought that your first rounders in 24 and 25 will be way further down than 4th overall.

2 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Nope.  Anything not comical, the Ravens match.  They already offered Lamar 2nd best contract and Lamar turned it down.

If by some chance think can get by that, you make that offer after the NFL draft.  Take BPA at 4, and then sign Lamar with the thought that your first rounders in 24 and 25 will be way further down than 4th overall.

I really don’t know what he wants at this point. He needs an agent just to make him realize the kind of money he’s rejecting.

4 minutes ago, Nate! said:

He wants out of Baltimore.

8 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

He wants out of Baltimore.

That’s only somewhat relevant when Ravens hold all the leverage.  Lamar could threaten to holdout but can’t see him doing that and taking a 30+ million dollar loss.  No way does he make that money up down the line 

2 minutes ago, Nate! said:

That’s only somewhat relevant when Ravens hold all the leverage.  Lamar could threaten to holdout but can’t see him doing that and taking a 30+ million dollar loss.  No way does he make that money up down the line 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not on the Lamar bandwagon.  This is Ballard's best shot at saving his job, and I think Irsay is honestly all in on this.

38 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

I would take Lamar over anyone of this years QB draft class. Give them our 4 this year and next years 2nd for all I care.

Except to get him it would cost you this years one and next years one and then a huge contract.  That’s a huge price to pay.  A trade is going to cost more because the Ravens don’t want to trade him and then you are going to have to give him a big contract on top of that.

Those are prices that most teams aren’t going to be willing to pay not just the Colts.  Even more reason why the Colts won’t pay it they can just draft a QB at four, get him on a cheap contract for five years, not have to give anything up for him, and not worry about the wear and tear Jackson has on his body that is starting to become a real concern with him.  Do you think Ballard wants any part of taking a chance of having Andrew Luck 2.0 on his hands because the QB can’t play because he’s hurt and ultimately shortens his career?

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Except to get him it would cost you this years one and next years one and then a huge contract.  That’s a huge price to pay.  

One that most teams aren’t going to be willing to pay not just the Colts.  Even more reason why the Colts won’t pay it they can just draft a QB at four, get him on a cheap contract for five years, not have to give anything up for him, and not worry about the wear and tear Jackson has on his body that is starting to become a real concern with him.  Do you think Ballard wants any part of taking a chance of having Andrew Luck 2.0 on his hands because the QB can’t play because he’s hurt and ultimately shortens his career?

I would gladly give up this years and next years late first rounder for Lamar. I think teams are more willing in todays NFL to pay big for a MVP QB like him. Is he really that beat up? I'm not to sure of his injury history. But I would definitely take him over this QB class. Sure we can draft a QB but what if he's a bust, even if he is not you are going to have to pony up some big money anyway. What happened with Andrew is not on Ballard and I do think you have to take chances as a GM. Even if we did somehow get Lamar it would have to go through Irsay anyways so its not all going to be on the Ballard.

11 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

I would gladly give up this years and next years late first rounder for Lamar. I think teams are more willing in todays NFL to pay big for a MVP QB like him. Is he really that beat up? I'm not to sure of his injury history. But I would definitely take him over this QB class. Sure we can draft a QB but what if he's a bust, even if he is not you are going to have to pony up some big money anyway. What happened with Andrew is not on Ballard and I do think you have to take chances as a GM. Even if we did somehow get Lamar it would have to go through Irsay anyways so its not all going to be on the Ballard.

Just maybe Ballard thinks it's not in the best interest for the Colts to hock the future in draft capital and money linked to a player that has health issues? 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just maybe Ballard thinks it's not in the best interest for the Colts to hock the future in draft capital and money linked to a player that has health issues? 

Or maybe Ballard wants to take a big swing on getting a player that gives you a shot at a playoff run and possibly a SB. 

3 hours ago, Aaron86 said:

“Next years late first rounder”.  ???

Sorry, I don’t follow?   What LATE first rounder in 24?   

Can you please explain?   

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

“Next years late first rounder”.  ???

Sorry, I don’t follow?   What LATE first rounder in 24?   

Can you please explain?   

I would assume this reflects a measure of optimism on his part.  If we plug in Lamar, it equals double-digit wins, thus a "late" first rounder in 2024 in the trade.  Which would be more palatable than an early 2024 first rounder.  Makes it more Worth It.  We may lose out on next year's first rounder, but we went to the playoffs.  And he feels that is a good trade.

22 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I would assume this reflects a measure of optimism on his part.  If we plug in Lamar, it equals double-digit wins, thus a "late" first rounder in 2024 in the trade.  Which would be more palatable than an early 2024 first rounder.  Makes it more Worth It.  We may lose out on next year's first rounder, but we went to the playoffs.  And he feels that is a good trade.

You’re probably right.   I didn’t think of it in those terms.    I’ve been awake most of the night.  Not sleeping well.   And clearly not thinking clear enough.  

Thanks for that perspective.     :giveup:

55 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’re probably right.   I didn’t think of it in those terms.    I’ve been awake most of the night.  Not sleeping well.   And clearly not thinking clear enough.  

It was late for me as well. I should have waited to post my thoughts.

Thanks @John Hammonds and @ThePowerslave for clearing that up. 

I'm not sure why some posters think that the Colts are in on Lamar Jackson. Have Ballard or Irsay mentioned that they were interested in getting him? I missed it if they made comments about him. 

It could be wishful thinking for some. The media has all kinds of theories, but nothing is official. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

No problem.  And sorry you aren't sleeping well.

Colts, as expected, release Matt Ryan

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/15/colts-as-expected-release-matt-ryan/

...It’s no surprise. With $12 million already guaranteed for 2023, the Colts would have owed Ryan another $17 million guaranteed if they hadn’t dumped him by tomorrow.

That’s why the Colts put him in bubble wrap at one point during the season. If Ryan weren’t able to pass a physical, the Colts would owe him the $17 million — on top of the $12 million...

12 hours ago, ThePowerslave said:

If we were to get Lamar we could be a playoff team thus giving us a late 1st rd pick.  That might be what he meant.

2 hours ago, teganslaw said:

I'm not sure why some posters think that the Colts are in on Lamar Jackson. Have Ballard or Irsay mentioned that they were interested in getting him? I missed it if they made comments about him. 

It could be wishful thinking for some. The media has all kinds of theories, but nothing is official. 

What is crazy is that even WITH Lamar, it’d be hard to make the playoffs. 

Bills, Dolphins, Jaguars, Bengals, Browns, Chiefs, Chargers, Raiders, Broncos…. TOUGH competition out there for the next 5-10 years. 

I don’t think the Colts are in on Lamar. However, Irsay & Ballard could not mention Lamar until the start of the new league year. He doesn’t have an agent, so he did not qualify for the legal tampering period. 

3 hours ago, teganslaw said:

We wouldn't know anything till a deal was done.  Personally I'm not in on Jackson but my hands are tied.  :)

3 hours ago, teganslaw said:

Neither have said anything. It’s the media tying him to us because we have a glaring need at QB. I can’t see us offering him a 5 year 250 million guaranteed contract. 

39 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Colts, as expected, release Matt Ryan

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/15/colts-as-expected-release-matt-ryan/

...It’s no surprise. With $12 million already guaranteed for 2023, the Colts would have owed Ryan another $17 million guaranteed if they hadn’t dumped him by tomorrow.

That’s why the Colts put him in bubble wrap at one point during the season. If Ryan weren’t able to pass a physical, the Colts would owe him the $17 million — on top of the $12 million...

Thank goodness.  Not because he was released but thankful that the panic people can rest easier 

Good Luck Matt.  Thanks for trying 

14 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Thank goodness.  Not because he was released but thankful that the panic people can rest easier 

Good Luck Matt.  Thanks for trying 

First Jeff Saturday, next Matt Ryan. Colts management doing the right things so far.

Archived