Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So u still want Fields? Please read

Moosejawcolt

3 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Fields with a better team around him would obviously do better. Fields on Chiefs/Eagles/49ers/Bengals/Bills would do him wonders. Fields on this (current) Bears team is no good. 

I’m not so sure 

13 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It is a good read though? I really like Lombardi. He unlike others  will admit when he is wrong but he says he has seen enuff to know Fields is not the answer.

Yeah not bad

6 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Bears apparently rate Fields above the four qb draftees. Sobering thought as Colts pondering giving up a lot of assets to move up.

Yea but they are thr Bears and have the number 1 pick so how good can they  be at evaluating  and self evaluating??

39 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Fields with a better team around him would obviously do better. Fields on Chiefs/Eagles/49ers/Bengals/Bills would do him wonders. Fields on this (current) Bears team is no good. 

U keep telling  yourself that.

Let’s be clear about this.   This is as much about internal politics as anything else.  Neither Poles nor Eberflus are responsible for Fields, they didn’t draft him.    And if they trade him and draft a new young promising quarterback, the clock starts over on the rookie contract of the QB.  So, politically speaking, that’s buys the GM and the HC more years with the fan base and the owner.   They are almost incentivized to trade Fields.   And if Fields is as poor as Lombardi states, I think the other 31 teams are going to be aware of it.   Hard to see how the Bears are going to get a good return on their potential trade? 

Finally….  The number of people here who are convinced that they know for sure how good a QB is after two years is baffling to me.   Two years is nothing.   QBs get better for many years as the game slows down for them.   Experience is everything at the position.   Fans expect instant results.   That rarely happens.   QBs who are great  early in their career are more the exception than the rule.   

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Let’s be clear about this.   This is as much about internal politics as anything else.  Neither Poles nor Eberflus are responsible for Fields, they didn’t draft him.    And if they trade him and draft a new young promising quarterback, the clock starts over on the rookie contract of the QB.  So, politically speaking, that’s buys the GM and the HC more years with the fan base and the owner.   They are almost incentivized to trade Fields.   And if Fields is as poor as Lombardi states, I think the other 31 teams are going to be aware of it.   Hard to see how the Bears are going to get a good return on their potential trade? 

Finally….  The number of people here who are convinced that they know for sure how good a QB is after two years is baffling to me.   Two years is nothing.   QBs get better for many years as the game slows down for them.   Experience is everything at the position.   Fans expect instant results.   That rarely happens.   QBs who are great  early in their career are more the exception than the rule.   

Exactly. Do I expect the Colts to win the Super Bowl if they do get Stroud or Young in their rookie season? Absolutely not. I don’t even expect a playoff win. It would be nice, but I’m realistic in that regard and only hope they can be good, improve and eventually lead the team to a Super Bowl. 

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yea but they are thr Bears and have the number 1 pick so how good can they  be at evaluating  and self evaluating?

Having the #1 pick has zero to do with Poles and Eberflus.  Neither drafted Fields or many of the players on the Bears roster.  

8 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

You don’t think with actual wide receivers, a good oline and tight ends that he wouldn’t do any better at all? That’s a pretty wild take. 

All that will help, but I’m not so sure he turns into Jalen Hurts 2.0 like some are saying he would under such conditions.

his accuracy and his progressions still need a TON of work.

11 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I think Stroud is going to end up the same 

It’s all about QB coaching. Even Andrew Luck needed that Arians touch to give him tough lessons.

Defensive coaches paired with young rookie QBs, the development is going to be slower, IMO. Pair Sean McVay with Josh Allen instead of McDermott, I bet they’ll have played in a SB already.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And they're usually on teams that are already built and prepared to win it all. Case in point: Hurts and Mahomes. 

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

And they're usually on teams that are already built and prepared to win it all. Case in point: Hurts and Mahomes. 

You need a good offensive minded HC/OC to maximize the talents too. Plus an owner or GM willing to go get some talent in free agency as well. Eagles are the blueprint for FA maximization. Bengals also did it two off seasons in a row as well to take advantage of Burrow's rookie contract, and have been to 2 AFCCG in a row and 1 SB. If anything, Chiefs were in worse cap situation than the Bengals (a reason they had to get rid of Hill) and thankfully by the time the bad cap situation arrived, Andy Reid and Mahomes were elite enough to make up for it on the offensive side. 49ers are the ones to have drafted the best, IMO amongst the Final Four though the Chiefs' 2022 class had significant contributors to their playoff run.

Fields with Eberflus, Allen with McDermott, and just like with Pagano, the defensive head coach's D has underachieved consistently, go figure. :) 

4 hours ago, Myles said:

I don't know that many Colts fans "want" fields, but IMO he would be worth a shot with the new coaches we have.   Mostly because I don't think Young, Stroud or Levis will be great QB's.  

To me Levis has many of the same traits Luck had coming out of college. Strong arm, can run some, and has a physical body. The unknown of all draft picks is the 4” between the ears. That’s why it’s so tough to evaluate these players. I would at least draft the guy who looks the part. 

34 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

To me Levis has many of the same traits Luck had coming out of college. Strong arm, can run some, and has a physical body. The unknown of all draft picks is the 4” between the ears. That’s why it’s so tough to evaluate these players. I would at least draft the guy who looks the part. 

Levis is similar to Luck in build. Bith are reckless with their body. Hopefully that is coached out 

13 hours ago, azcolt said:

Sobering thought as Colts pondering giving up a lot of assets to move up.

Id just wait for someone else to make a move, the bears wont trade the pick without giving the Colts and Texans a chance to start a bidding war.

If Texans really want to move up then we cant stop them anyway, they have more to trade than us.  If someone like the Panthers tries then we can wait and see what they are willing to give up

The Lombardi article just reinforces what I have been saying all along.  I think there is a very good chance the Bears will draft a quarterback with the 1st pick, most likely Young, and start over and trade Fields.  When they do their comparisons and for the reasons mentioned in the article I think they will draft a quarterback.  They will still be able to acquire draft capital for Fields so they are still in a good place.  And they have a lot of cap space as well.  I think Ballard and Shane would love Fields.  Shane seeing the potential of his prior Hurts situation.  Fields was a very good passer in college.  He just went to a team with no offensive talent and coaching changes.  I think he would do very well here and Ballard would also not have to trade the farm to move up.  Fields would fall into his lap.  

28 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Who said they wanted Fields to the Colts?  Maybe somebody out there but its not popular

If the Bears do draft a QB though it could leave us in a tough spot, Fields might be better than Will Levis or Richardson 

There's been a whole thread about it on here. More than a few would like him on the team. 

Personally I'm not one of them. 

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The Lombardi article just reinforces what I have been saying all along.  I think there is a very good chance the Bears will draft a quarterback with the 1st pick, most likely Young, and start over and trade Fields.  When they do their comparisons and for the reasons mentioned in the article I think they will draft a quarterback.  They will still be able to acquire draft capital for Fields so they are still in a good place.  And they have a lot of cap space as well.  I think Ballard and Shane would love Fields.  Shane seeing the potential of his prior Hurts situation.  Fields was a very good passer in college.  He just went to a team with no offensive talent and coaching changes.  I think he would do very well here and Ballard would also not have to trade the farm to move up.  Fields would fall into his lap.  

You and I are in agreement on this and I’d love for it to happen. Could still keep the 4th overall pick while landing Indy’s version of Hurts under Steichen. Fields could maybe be acquired for a package of Buckner, Moore, and the 35th overall pick. If Ballard doesn’t want to deal Buckner then possibly Indy’s 2024 1st and Moore would get it done. 

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

You and I are in agreement on this and I’d love for it to happen. Could still keep the 4th overall pick while landing Indy’s version of Hurts under Steichen. 

Count me in.   This year is a crap shoot with the QB's in the draft.  Probably around a 40% chance of getting a good one.   The odds of Fields being decent is probably around 60% so they could play the odds.

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

Count me in.   This year is a crap shoot with the QB's in the draft.  Probably around a 40% chance of getting a good one.   The odds of Fields being decent is probably around 60% so they could play the odds.

Especially with Steichen's ability to get the best out of Hurts, who doesn’t have the talent Fields possesses. 

8 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Especially with Steichen's ability to get the best out of Hurts, who doesn’t have the talent Fields possesses. 

Might we be selling Hurts just a bit short? Fields may have the better talent, but Jalen has proven to have what it takes between the ears. 

46 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Who said they wanted Fields to the Colts?  Maybe somebody out there but its not popular

If the Bears do draft a QB though it could leave us in a tough spot, Fields might be better than Will Levis or Richardson 

If they have to trade Fields, it would be done before the draft. However, if they keep Fields, they can trade down to No.4 and get a future 1st and other picks as well from the Colts while getting access to one of Anderson or Carter. They would get far more picks holding on to Fields and building a team around him than letting go of Fields that they have developed and invested in so far.

That is the way I see it. Opening up a bidding war for the No.1 pick while keeping Fields is what the Bears intend to do, IMO.

7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Might we be selling Hurts just a bit short? Fields may have the better talent, but Jalen has proven to have what it takes between the ears. 

Hurts is a good NFL QB, but he needs great coaching and players around him to be that way. Many questioned before the 2022 season if the Eagles would commit to him longterm, and that tells me he wasn’t being considered as a franchise QB before the great year he had under Steichen, a top OL, and very good weapons around him. 

Just now, BProland85 said:

Hurts is a good NFL QB, but he needs great coaching and players around him to be that way. Many questioned before the 2022 season if the Eagles would commit to him longterm, and that tells me he wasn’t being considered as a franchise QB before the great year he had under Steichen, a top OL, and very good weapons around him. 

That's fair. The supporting cast around Hurts this season was leaps and bounds better than Chicago. 

I think Fields stinks. I have no clue what people see in him as a passer. His accuracy is atrocious.

But I would entertain it because of Steichen and the makeup of our team. If he likes him, I could live with it. And I do think you could build an effective offense around Fields and Taylor, if Steichen can make use of Fields as a passer. Right now, he stinks. And I have questions about his leadership ability as well. But he is a very dangerous runner, thats for sure. 

But there is a caveat.......there is no way I give up the number 4 pick for him. Just the fact that they would do this suggests he isnt worth that pick. If he was, the Bears would never trade him. Id give them my 2nd for Fields, and if Will Anderson isnt there at 4, Im trading down and trying to recoup that pick. 

If he stinks, we stink, and we try again next year. 

6 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

I think Fields stinks. I have no clue what people see in him as a passer. His accuracy is atrocious.

But I would entertain it because of Steichen and the makeup of our team. If he likes him, I could live with it. And I do think you could build an effective offense around Fields and Taylor, if Steichen can make use of Fields as a passer. Right now, he stinks. And I have questions about his leadership ability as well. But he is a very dangerous runner, thats for sure. 

But there is a caveat.......there is no way I give up the number 4 pick for him. Just the fact that they would do this suggests he isnt worth that pick. If he was, the Bears would never trade him. Id give them my 2nd for Fields, and if Will Anderson isnt there at 4, Im trading down and trying to recoup that pick. 

If he stinks, we stink, and we try again next year. 

He was a very good passer in college. Funny how people just forget about that. 

Archived