Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Commanders release Wentz

danlhart87

There is no way Reich would bring Wentz in again.  I listened to Reich's presser after becoming panther's coach and he listed things that make a great QB: 1.  Mentally tough; 2. great decision-maker; 3.  accurate passer; 4. playmaker in crucial situations and 5. leader.   Wentz has none of the above and It almost felt like Reich has learned a hard lesson by coaching Wentz in 2021.

44 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Damn it’s around the corner and something tells me he isn’t retiring. $$$

Why should he? He has nothing to gain from retiring. The Colts signed the contract so they either cut him and eat the cap hit or keep him. There is no other choice at this time.  

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why should he? He has nothing to gain from retiring. The Colts signed the contract so they either cut him and eat the cap hit or keep him. There is no other choice at this time.  

how much $$ does Ryan stand to make if he doesn't retire?

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

$12 out of his $29 million is guaranteed. We save $17 million by cutting him.

He has got 12 million reasons to not retire :) 

Yep. Walk out with 12 million in the pocket, and then either join the broadcaster booth or wait for a team to inevitably have an injury situation and step in during the season. It's our own fault for giving him that contract. 

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Yep. Walk out with 12 million in the pocket, and then either join the broadcaster booth or wait for a team to inevitably have an injury situation and step in during the season. It's our own fault for giving him that contract. 

If he retires, we still own his rights ala Andrew Luck don't we? He'd be foolish to retire and let us control his destiny should he want to return - better to make us cut him, he'll still make some cash and if the right situation presented itself, he could jump at it!

4 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

If he retires, we still own his rights ala Andrew Luck don't we? He'd be foolish to retire and let us control his destiny should he want to return - better to make us cut him, he'll still make some cash and if the right situation presented itself, he could jump at it!

I think so? It was a 2 year deal originally, I don't if that means we have his rights indefinitely or if it expires after the original contract is over.

Yeah there's no point in him retiring from his standpoint. It would obviously help us out, but seriously who would pass up an easy 12 million? 

14 hours ago, RollerColt said:

No shocker here. That was Carson’s last chance as a starter imo. He needs to step back and decide what he wants to do next. He can easily go somewhere to be backup based off of skill, but would his personality allow him to do something like that? 

He's got great personality, did backup Heinicke last season and coming back from injury in Philly, all the while cheering for the team and helping in sidelines, especially during the SB run staying in the field even while going through ACL injury. 

He'll do backup job if that's what it comes to, and he can play well at spots to help a contender if he takes paycuts to play second fiddle in a very good team. 

1 minute ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

He's got great personality, did backup Heinicke last season and coming back from injury in Philly, all the while cheering for the team and helping in sidelines, especially during the SB run staying in the field even while going through ACL injury. 

He'll do backup job if that's what it comes to, and he can play well at spots to help a contender if he takes paycuts to play second fiddle in a very good team. 

Vikings should sign him, many Vikings fans can't stand Cousins anyway. Wentz may fit in there?

45 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I think so? It was a 2 year deal originally, I don't if that means we have his rights indefinitely or if it expires after the original contract is over.

Yeah there's no point in him retiring from his standpoint. It would obviously help us out, but seriously who would pass up an easy 12 million? 

He doesn't owe the Colts anything.   Maybe the Colts could work a deal to give him some of the money if he retires. 

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

He doesn't owe the Colts anything.   Maybe the Colts could work a deal to give him some of the money if he retires. 

Agreed. We honestly put him in a no-win situation this year. It's shame his career had to turn out the way it did with us. 

I've seen a couple of different articles indicating that Matt Ryan and family have returned to Atlanta - and - that Matty Ice would like to take his vast NFL knowledge to the broadcast booth.

The team will save a LOT of $$ on the salary cap if Matt Ryan retires - rather than the Colts cutting him.

Saw this coming since we traded him.  Anyone who thought Wentz was going to do anything over there was wearing their fan glasses.  

Wentz best bet is going to a team as a backup where the QB situation isn’t the best and shaky (ex: titans, Vikings, etc.)  Either hope for the starting qb to get injured or benched and prove his worth when called upon.  But I doubt a team will sign him to be their starter unless they just miss out on everything this FA.

11 hours ago, sb41champs said:

I've seen a couple of different articles indicating that Matt Ryan and family have returned to Atlanta - and - that Matty Ice would like to take his vast NFL knowledge to the broadcast booth.

The team will save a LOT of $$ on the salary cap if Matt Ryan retires - rather than the Colts cutting him.

Him getting cut and collecting his guaranteed money is what he will do imo. Losing your starting position doesn't mean you lose your mind. 

On 2/27/2023 at 4:50 PM, sb41champs said:

If any NFL fan - any where - is surprised - they haven't been paying attention the last two seasons.

Best wishes to Carson Wentz and his family as they begin another chapter in their lives.

Good Christian family who deserve some blessings moving forward.

I just don’t see him taking a backup job, IMO. He’s basically a Family Man who appears to have kept his Small Town/North Dakota type roots, and always uncomfortable with the Big City Modern NFL Corporate atmosphere.  He might just very well retire and raise his family.  

Archived