Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Case For Levis

So, I have noticed on this board and on social media, it has become in vogue to criticize Will Levis.  Doesn't surprise me as people tend to me sheep more than leaders. I still remember on this board when someone said Anthony Castonza should be a right tackle, not left tackle. Next thing you know, the majority of people are saying it and they were completely wrong.

Not that our opinion matters on who the Colts pick, but at least have your mind  open to what I am going to say.  IMHO, Will Levis is the ONLY option this year if the Colts take a QB with their first round pick.  And here are my reasons why:

1) Bryce Young is very talented.  Reads defenses well, makes quick decisions. But he also is very slightly built and actually smaller than Tua.  And I love Tua, but I wonder how much longer he lasts in the NFL.  I think he would get killed on the Colts and we better have a good backup because they will be playing much.

2) CJ Stroud has had a good career at Ohio State.  Put up great numbers.  My issue with Stroud is a few. His receivers, statistically, got more seperation than any other WRs in the Big Ten, which made throwing to them much easier. He also had an elite O-line and would rarely get rushed.  He was, last year, one of the worst QBs against the blitz statistically.  I think he QBR drops to 35 against the blitz.  As we saw last year, if a team knows the Colts can't pick up a blitz, they come after you. I think Stroud will be, at best, a Kirk Cousins type of QB.  But more likely, a bust.

3) Anthony Richardson...I don't know why he is even talked about.  He is SO RAW that we would need a vet to start for probably two years before Richardson MIGHT be ready.  And, as long as I have been watching football, RARELY does a player who has great physical gifts but is inaccurate and raw ever become anything big.  Some will point to Josh Allen, but Allen didn't have a good supporting cast and he did work hard and was put with the right team and supporting cast in Buffalo.  I wouldn't touch him.

4) Clearly, it doesn't mean Steichen will use the same blueprint, but if they borrow the script from Eagles, the Colts need a QB who can process and get rid of the ball fast, but also run with the ball.  Young will get broken down and Stroud isn't really a runner, regardless of last game.  Will Levis is the most athletically gifted out of the three.  I could see him running the short yardage wedge play and getting everytime.  I am not big on QBs running that much. I more prefer what Mahomes does, which is runs when he has to.  But Levis would open up many things. The second the Eagles did was used the run to setup the deep pass.  Levis has an amazing arm, release, and downfield accuracy.  Young or Stroud can't touch his arm for getting the ball downfield.

5) Any of these QBs could be a bust.  I hate it when someone says "draft out next franchise QB". Just because you draft someone #1 doesn't make them a franchise QB.  That said, Will Levis has the skillset, smarts, and work ethic to rise to the level of Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow. And that is what we need.  If we get Stroud and he is another Kirk Cousins, we will always be the bridesmaid, but never the bride. He is not a difference maker.  If Young were bigger perhaps, but he isn't.  If we truly want to compete for Super Bowls, we need an ELITE QB, not just a good one.  Levis, IMHO, is the ONLY one who has the POTENTIAL to be elite.  

6) People like to knock Levis saying he didn't have a great year.  But he had to deal with adversity. He was hurt a good part of the year.  He losts olinemen. receivers, and his offensive coordinator, who went to the NFL.  They emphasized the run more.  But through this, the guy hung in there and put up good, not great, numbers.  So we know what he can do with adversity.  What can Young do? Stroud?  Hard to tell, because they have always been on one of the most talented teams in the nation.

7) Levis played in a pro style offense. We could put him in Day 1 as a starter, rely more on running and maybe him doing more running and quick passes, till he can develop like Hurts did.  Stroud and Young didn't have to do as much offensively as Levis did. He has already proven he can run an NFL offense.

8) Finally, Levis is a 4.0 student, all reports said a tireless worker who wants to be the best, the teammates love him, and he has shown he is tough as nails.  Maybe he will never reach it, but the comparison is to Josh Allen.  I want Josh Allen instead of Kirk Cousins or slightly built QB.  Levis has EVERYTHING you could want in a QB. He just needs a big more shaping.  But he could POTENTIALLY be a great QB. I can't say that about the rest.

I have coached football for ten years and specically QBs.  I am not an expert and I have no association with Levis or Kentucky.  I just love the Colts.  I think this is THEIR CHANCE, just like in 1998 and 2012, to make the right selection. Get it wrong, and you have Ryan Leaf or RGIII.  And, remember, in 1998, people were saying Leaf should be the pick.  Just as they are saying about Stroud.  I really hope the Colts come away with Levis.  Don't listen to the hype against him. Watch some of his throws, listen to interviews, and watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFmnYpm_ZYw

I will be pumped for any QB they take. None are perfect prospects. I like certain things about each one. Young’s size scares me. Stroud coming out of OSU offense scares me and Levis down year scares me.  But I think Levis has a chance to be like Herbert. Someone that is better than what his surrounding would allow him to show. 

heck, I’d even be excited if we traded back and took Richardson lol.  I’m ready for young blood at QB. 

I have concerns about each one but each has enough positives that I could see why people could have any one of the top 3 guys as their #1. 

41 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

Some will point to Josh Allen, but Allen didn't have a good supporting cast and he did work hard and was put with the right team and supporting cast in Buffalo.  I wouldn't touch him.

Yeah, its a dream that Richardson is the next Mahomes or Josh Allen.  Mahomes and Allen both did more through the air at Texas Tech and Wyoming than Richardson ever has done at Florida.  Its not even close.   We should be asking if Richardson can be a better passer than Lamar Jackson, not how close he is to Mahomes or Allen.

43 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

Will Levis is the most athletically gifted out of the three.

Yep.  If Steichen wants to have the QB intentionally run the ball similarly (not exactly) as Hurts, then Levis is the pick over Stroud and Young.   

45 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

Levis played in a pro style offense. We could put him in Day 1 as a starter, rely more on running and maybe him doing more running and quick passes, till he can develop like Hurts did.  Stroud and Young didn't have to do as much offensively as Levis did. He has already proven he can run an NFL offense.

8) Finally, Levis is a 4.0 student, all reports said a tireless worker

Yes.  NFL teams usually see a top 10 investment being a guy who needs to start right away.  A QB can be a little different, but the Colts don't really have a QB for our pick 4 guy to sit behind.  I would think our pick 4 QB will start day 1.

Do you want to throw Stroud and Young to the wolves like HOU did with David Carr back in the day?

48 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

CJ Stroud has had a good career at Ohio State.  Put up great numbers.  My issue with Stroud is a few. His receivers, statistically, got more seperation than any other WRs in the Big Ten, which made throwing to them much easier. He also had an elite O-line and would rarely get rushed.  He was, last year, one of the worst QBs against the blitz statistically.  I think he QBR drops to 35 against the blitz.  As we saw last year, if a team knows the Colts can't pick up a blitz, they come after you. I think Stroud will be, at best, a Kirk Cousins type of QB.  But more likely, a bust.

I don't think he will be a bust.  But Stroud is the QB that you have to treat most like a pocket passer.  His competition in this draft is Hooker and McKee, not Levis, Young, or Richardson.

I'm fine with pocket passers, which is why I would support the Colts taking Stroud, Hooker, or McKee.

I would support picking Levis too.  Or Clayton Tune later.  Who is also athletic and has 6'3" size, but needs work.

Levis can run and use his legs, just that he was too injured in his senior season that they decided not to risk it. I think Levis does have the potential to be a Josh Allen type player. If the Colts stood pat at No.4 and chose Levis, I would have no qualms.

Everyone should go look at some of Levis' 2021 video. When he had more talent around him, including WR Wandale Robinson, he played very well. In fact, I first really saw him when i was watching Robinson's game vids last year. It was pretty easy to see that Levis has an incredible arm and delivery. He's not perfect; will need to be coached, and faces questions about how fast he 'sees" the field. 

But, for the sake of argument, look at tape of Stroud (whom I also love) and Levis. The first think you'll notice is how clean Stroud's pockets were. Man, he could throw from sitting in a chair half the time. (that may also explain a little of the "Stroud can't improvise" criticism. He didn't have to because he could go back and have a lot of time to throw). Levis' pockets, on the the other hand were so cluttered he looked like he was throwing from a closet!!

We should all keep an open mind. Our pick could literally be any of these 4 guys. we'll see what the combine and pro days show...

Yeah I’ve come around on Stroud but I’m also still on the Levis train. For Steichen he may be the best option. He’s gifted athletically but more polished than Richardson as a passer. But Steichen has also worked with Rivers so he could do some things with Stroud.

For me Levis is the ultimate boom or bust guy. I have a comp for him but I want to wait until after the combine to put it out.

21 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

So, I have noticed on this board and on social media, it has become in vogue to criticize Will Levis.  Doesn't surprise me as people tend to me sheep more than leaders. I still remember on this board when someone said Anthony Castonza should be a right tackle, not left tackle. Next thing you know, the majority of people are saying it and they were completely wrong.

Not that our opinion matters on who the Colts pick, but at least have your mind  open to what I am going to say.  IMHO, Will Levis is the ONLY option this year if the Colts take a QB with their first round pick.  And here are my reasons why:

1) Bryce Young is very talented.  Reads defenses well, makes quick decisions. But he also is very slightly built and actually smaller than Tua.  And I love Tua, but I wonder how much longer he lasts in the NFL.  I think he would get killed on the Colts and we better have a good backup because they will be playing much.

2) CJ Stroud has had a good career at Ohio State.  Put up great numbers.  My issue with Stroud is a few. His receivers, statistically, got more seperation than any other WRs in the Big Ten, which made throwing to them much easier. He also had an elite O-line and would rarely get rushed.  He was, last year, one of the worst QBs against the blitz statistically.  I think he QBR drops to 35 against the blitz.  As we saw last year, if a team knows the Colts can't pick up a blitz, they come after you. I think Stroud will be, at best, a Kirk Cousins type of QB.  But more likely, a bust.

3) Anthony Richardson...I don't know why he is even talked about.  He is SO RAW that we would need a vet to start for probably two years before Richardson MIGHT be ready.  And, as long as I have been watching football, RARELY does a player who has great physical gifts but is inaccurate and raw ever become anything big.  Some will point to Josh Allen, but Allen didn't have a good supporting cast and he did work hard and was put with the right team and supporting cast in Buffalo.  I wouldn't touch him.

4) Clearly, it doesn't mean Steichen will use the same blueprint, but if they borrow the script from Eagles, the Colts need a QB who can process and get rid of the ball fast, but also run with the ball.  Young will get broken down and Stroud isn't really a runner, regardless of last game.  Will Levis is the most athletically gifted out of the three.  I could see him running the short yardage wedge play and getting everytime.  I am not big on QBs running that much. I more prefer what Mahomes does, which is runs when he has to.  But Levis would open up many things. The second the Eagles did was used the run to setup the deep pass.  Levis has an amazing arm, release, and downfield accuracy.  Young or Stroud can't touch his arm for getting the ball downfield.

5) Any of these QBs could be a bust.  I hate it when someone says "draft out next franchise QB". Just because you draft someone #1 doesn't make them a franchise QB.  That said, Will Levis has the skillset, smarts, and work ethic to rise to the level of Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow. And that is what we need.  If we get Stroud and he is another Kirk Cousins, we will always be the bridesmaid, but never the bride. He is not a difference maker.  If Young were bigger perhaps, but he isn't.  If we truly want to compete for Super Bowls, we need an ELITE QB, not just a good one.  Levis, IMHO, is the ONLY one who has the POTENTIAL to be elite.  

6) People like to knock Levis saying he didn't have a great year.  But he had to deal with adversity. He was hurt a good part of the year.  He losts olinemen. receivers, and his offensive coordinator, who went to the NFL.  They emphasized the run more.  But through this, the guy hung in there and put up good, not great, numbers.  So we know what he can do with adversity.  What can Young do? Stroud?  Hard to tell, because they have always been on one of the most talented teams in the nation.

7) Levis played in a pro style offense. We could put him in Day 1 as a starter, rely more on running and maybe him doing more running and quick passes, till he can develop like Hurts did.  Stroud and Young didn't have to do as much offensively as Levis did. He has already proven he can run an NFL offense.

8) Finally, Levis is a 4.0 student, all reports said a tireless worker who wants to be the best, the teammates love him, and he has shown he is tough as nails.  Maybe he will never reach it, but the comparison is to Josh Allen.  I want Josh Allen instead of Kirk Cousins or slightly built QB.  Levis has EVERYTHING you could want in a QB. He just needs a big more shaping.  But he could POTENTIALLY be a great QB. I can't say that about the rest.

I have coached football for ten years and specically QBs.  I am not an expert and I have no association with Levis or Kentucky.  I just love the Colts.  I think this is THEIR CHANCE, just like in 1998 and 2012, to make the right selection. Get it wrong, and you have Ryan Leaf or RGIII.  And, remember, in 1998, people were saying Leaf should be the pick.  Just as they are saying about Stroud.  I really hope the Colts come away with Levis.  Don't listen to the hype against him. Watch some of his throws, listen to interviews, and watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFmnYpm_ZYw

I've been telling myself I'd be so mad if we moved up and took Levis...  then I read this, and watched that video.  I now am good with it, I'm a fan of his after that video.  I can't say he's my top choice now, but I do 100% see why he maybe should be.

Great post!

On 2/13/2023 at 1:30 PM, lennymoore24 said:

Very well put. I agree with you 100% on everything you stated. Levis is the only guy worth investing the 4th overall pick in. Glad there are others seeing things this way. Here's to hoping the front office does as well. 

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

Levis has a much higher upside then Young or Stroud and with S.S. now the hire it definitely seems like the no brainer pick for the franchise.

I TRULY hate to disagree with a fellow Colts fan, but I dont know about that statement

Lets let the scouts do their work, and understand what they are looking at

If you were going ONLY for Physical attributes...... there is one choice.......  Thats Richardson

QB1, QB2, QB3, QB4, ALL have upside, ALL have downside

IMHO..... there is no....  "No brainer" in my personal opinion

The Colts WILL (or should) spend time with each of the top candidates

They will get some questions answered

Is Young actually 5"10" vs 6" listed ?

Is Young actually 190 Lbs listed or more like 170lbs

If Young is 6" and 200lbs HE is the ONLY  "no Brainer" in this class

Does Stroud run a 4.6 forty or a 5.1 forty?

How is his recognition skills?

MANY scouts will sit with him and try to see what the kid has between the ears

Is Will Levis able to quickly recognize the defense that he is throwing against?

Can he state that quickly to a scout?  He threw MANY turnovers and what they call turnover "worthy" throws

How does he do in interviews? Is he the leader that he needs to be?

What about Richardson?

The guy will run a 4.5 or better 40

He has a cannon for an arm

He has had ONE year of college ball starting

He will have many questions asking him what he sees in film to determine if he is intelligent, or if he has mashed potatoes

between the ears

I am A-OK with the Colts picking who the best chance player is in their opinion

It could be any of those 4

My early choice is Stroud, but fine with whomever they will pick

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I TRULY hate to disagree with a fellow Colts fan, but I dont know about that statement

Lets let the scouts do their work, and understand what they are looking at

If you were going ONLY for Physical attributes...... there is one choice.......  Thats Richardson

QB1, QB2, QB3, QB4, ALL have upside, ALL have downside

IMHO..... there is no....  "No brainer" in my personal opinion

The Colts WILL (or should) spend time with each of the top candidates

They will get some questions answered

Is Young actually 5"10" vs 6" listed ?

Is Young actually 190 Lbs listed or more like 170lbs

If Young is 6" and 200lbs HE is the ONLY  "no Brainer" in this class

Does Stroud run a 4.6 forty or a 5.1 forty?

How is his recognition skills?

MANY scouts will sit with him and try to see what the kid has between the ears

Is Will Levis able to quickly recognize the defense that he is throwing against?

Can he state that quickly to a scout?  He threw MANY turnovers and what they call turnover "worthy" throws

How does he do in interviews? Is he the leader that he needs to be?

What about Richardson?

The guy will run a 4.5 or better 40

He has a cannon for an arm

He has had ONE year of college ball starting

He will have many questions asking him what he sees in film to determine if he is intelligent, or if he has mashed potatoes

between the ears

I am A-OK with the Colts picking who the best chance player is in their opinion

It could be any of those 4

My early choice is Stroud, but fine with whomever they will pick

Dont hate to disagree,if done respectfully like you certainly did opens up dialogue even more.....Ive been a minority on several topics trust me and enjoyed them all whether they broke my way or the other.

1)I said James Robinson was just a guy at beginning of this season and jags would feature Travis Ettienne ,really heard from many how off base I was then a few weeks later Robinson was shipped off for next to nothing and T.E. rushed for over 1,00 yards as a feature back

2)I said P.J. Walker should make Panthers roster as they needed 3 QBs more then anyone and many said with Mayfield and Darnold no need for 3. Baker was gone in half a season and Walker started 5 games and set career highs for yards and tds

3)I said Justin Tucker was greatest kicker of all time and was laughed at,it has now become the accepted norm by an overwhelming majority he is with longest fg of all time, best fg % of all time,most 50 yard plus fgs made in a game. 

4)I said Julio Jones wold be nothing more then a 4th wr option in Tampa bay while many said what a great singing and would be a 2/3,he finished 4th in wr yards and catches with an underwhelming 24 for 299.

5)I said Dallis Flowers needed to be our starting kick off return man from opening day,most thought he wouldnt move the needle if he did get the job but once inserted went on to lead the league in Kick Off return average.

I also missed on a few...

1)Said no way Deon Jackson makes the club after finishing dead last in the NFL with 2.4 yards a carry in 2021,he stuck and actually got a lot of playing time though most not effective finishing with 3.5 yards a carry but his blocking and special team gave him a spot

2)I said Tom Brady was shot and Tampa wouldnt make the playoffs as they wouldnt break .500...he was shot and they didnt break .500 BUT they won the NFC South and punched their playoff ticket

On 2/13/2023 at 12:30 PM, lennymoore24 said:

I predicted awhile ago  that he will be  first qb off the  board. Gms watch  the superbowl and Levi fits the   mold of today's qb

Like I was saying in another group of messages, I first noticed him when I was watching Wandale Robinson highlights before last year's draft. I mean,  the dude can sling it. And this year he was working with a very very cluttered pass pocket. Watch his game vids vs. Stroud's and even most of Young's and it jumps out.

I see exciting things to really, really, like about all four of the top QBs this year. And Ballard has never, to my mind had to make such a weighty decision. Hoping he makes the right call

On 2/16/2023 at 8:35 PM, GwinnettColt said:

I wouldn't be upset if they got Stroud or Levis.  I think with the right coaching and mentoring, Levis can do well.  

Favre, Allen etc. - what is common with them? When you have a gun of an arm, you think you can always get it there and take more chances. The true question is, how long of a leash will they give a rookie like Levis or Richardson, and developing a QB as a QB coach/OC is different than developing a QB as a HC, just that the HC has more things to supervise. I am curious what kind of OC and QB coach we get.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Favre, Allen etc. - what is common with them? When you have a gun of an arm, you think you can always get it there and take more chances. The true question is, how long of a leash will they give a rookie like Levis or Richardson, and developing a QB as a QB coach/OC is different than developing a QB as a HC, just that the HC has more things to supervise. I am curious what kind of OC and QB coach we get.

You bring up a very important point. The QB coach probably has more impact on the QB than the HC. Especially a rookie QB. 

Archived