Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Jeff Saturday be "officially" interviewed for the Head Coaching vacancy?

sb41champs

Will Jeff Saturday be "officially" interviewed for the Head Coach vacancy?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jeff Saturday be "officially" interviewed for the Head Coach vacancy?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Why would any coordinator want to be his assistants?

I agree here and think it’ll be a massive issue for him if he wants to get established folks. 

if it does play out where Jeff is HC next season, then i can see some current staff being retained like gus Bradley on D, who expressed he wants to stay.  And i see Dan Orlovsky coming in as OC. parks Frazier is retained to pay back for his services to Jeff this past season.  Overall being a mix of former players brought in as coaches and retaining some of current staff, unless Reich gets a job and starts plucking. 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, achcolts said:

I agree here and think it’ll be a massive issue for him if he wants to get established folks. 

if it does play out where Jeff is HC next season, then i can see some current staff being retained like gus Bradley on D, who expressed he wants to stay.  And i see Dan Orlovsky coming in as OC. parks Frazier is retained to pay back for his services to Jeff this past season.  Overall being a mix of former players brought in as coaches and retaining some of current staff, unless Reich gets a job and starts plucking. 

Do you realize how much we would be laughed at if Dan was brought in. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Do you realize how much we would be laughed at if Dan was brought in. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

do you realize our franchise quickly downward spiraled this season to bottom quartile :)  were already laughed at plenty. 

Only up from here…

Just now, VikingsFanInChennai said:

What has been officially explained about Jeff's interim HC hire? 

Fans and media speculate that he evaluates the team, but did Irsay or Irsay explain otherwise? 

AFAIK, all they've said is they believed Jeff can be the leader and can be the right person for interim head coach after Frank got fired. 

Colts had other leaders on staff he could have turned. Irsay was thinking way out of the box and perhaps wanted to try something way different. It helped to move up on the draft.

Just now, JColts72 said:

Colts had other leaders on staff he could have turned. Irsay was thinking way out of the box and perhaps wanted to try something way different. It helped to move up on the draft.

Yeah... No concerns from me on getting Jeff to be HC for the interim. 

It was a good try, was not gonna work, but as a owner he wanted to do certain things and had Jeff carry out, while they know that would tank the season well enough to get a top draft pick. All worked out well. 

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Why would any coordinator want to be his assistants?

Apologies... I didn't read the question well earlier. 

Maybe, there are good QB coaches who have good experience being assistants in the college or NFL level, and have good grasp of offensive systems and Jeff could bring them in. Jeff would've contacts with the league staff, being in media and even interested assistants would've contacted him to join as his staff. 

Maybe, Jeff has good relationship with a former OC in the NFL who doesn't want to be HC anymore, and he could be brought in. 

Either way, it will be a learning experience for everyone if they hire Jeff as HC. It could turn out to be decent enough to save the face a bit for short term or it could all end up looking like a joke. 

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

But if Irsay had give up 100% on Ryan then Jeff would have been instructed not to play him which he did until he was so bad he had to be taken out.

I think Jeff just favored Matt or the vet QB over Sam because he knew this was not a long term job and wanted to try to win. Clearly that didn't happened.

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Apparently when Saturday was on ESPN he said stroud was allergic to the big game. Imagine if we hired Saturday and drafted Stroud.

It'd be like when Saturday said in his intro press conference that he'd be out of here if the interim HC didn't go well. 

I think that's ok, these were different jobs. 

Anyway, let's not get ahead before HC job is given. Ask your friend to save their time for now  :D

The Colts have interviewed some STRONG candidates that have EARNED a chance to become a hc in this league as a natural progression. I don't care WHO Jeff can bring in for his staff I've seen ENOUGH in two months to stay CLEAR of that "new" FULL TIME disaster waiting to happen.

I highly doubt that any TOP league assistants would want to join his staff ESPECIALLY if they want to ascend in this league. My guess is that his "staff" will be former players that he's close to (maybe a couple from the HS staff he came from) and that he's counting on some of those very people to STAY on board that he uses in his narrative as an excuse that he INHERITED this staff. Not quite sure the OTHER owners are buying that or see any UPSIDE in Jeff who by the way has put out that he desires to become a NFL hc because NO ONE has asked permission to speak to or scheduled an interview with him that I know of.

Do you realize that if Gilmore hadn't made that final game saving play in the ENDZONE against the Raiders Jeff would've gone WINLESS at 0 - 8 with some EPIC collapses to boot? Yikes!!!! Not a fan of Jeff's OVERALL old school mentality to "pound the rock" in today's progressive NFL. I saw the "toughness" Jeff instilled as our o-line stood around and WATCHED as Foles withered around in pain on the field while the guy who inflicted said pain did snow angels right NEXT to him. I wasn't a big Frank fan in the end but the team NEVER looked that bad under him period! EVEN when Jeff took over the team was hovering at .500

After seeing Ballard take it on the chin and own it at his presser it's hard for me to believe that Jeff Saturday is his vision as the LONG TERM answer at hc.

Question for all...

IF Jeff of all HC candidates were able to put together THE BEST OC, DC, ST etc...in other words, Jeff could assemble the best staff of all the candidates... would that change your minds?

Or would you still prefer someone else, knowing the rest of the coaching staff would not be as good?

Just a hypothetical, but still curious 

19 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Question for all...

IF Jeff of all HC candidates were able to put together THE BEST OC, DC, ST etc...in other words, Jeff could assemble the best staff of all the candidates... would that change your minds?

Or would you still prefer someone else, knowing the rest of the coaching staff would not be as good?

Just a hypothetical, but still curious 

Nobody knows how a staff will be until work with what they have regardless whose coaching.

1 hour ago, bluephantom87 said:

The Colts have interviewed some STRONG candidates that have EARNED a chance to become a hc in this league as a natural progression. I don't care WHO Jeff can bring in for his staff I've seen ENOUGH in two months to stay CLEAR of that "new" FULL TIME disaster waiting to happen.

I highly doubt that any TOP league assistants would want to join his staff ESPECIALLY if they want to ascend in this league. My guess is that his "staff" will be former players that he's close to (maybe a couple from the HS staff he came from) and that he's counting on some of those very people to STAY on board that he uses in his narrative as an excuse that he INHERITED this staff. Not quite sure the OTHER owners are buying that or see any UPSIDE in Jeff who by the way has put out that he desires to become a NFL hc because NO ONE has asked permission to speak to or scheduled an interview with him that I know of.

Do you realize that if Gilmore hadn't made that final game saving play in the ENDZONE against the Raiders Jeff would've gone WINLESS at 0 - 8 with some EPIC collapses to boot? Yikes!!!! Not a fan of Jeff's OVERALL old school mentality to "pound the rock" in today's progressive NFL. I saw the "toughness" Jeff instilled as our o-line stood around and WATCHED as Foles withered around in pain on the field while the guy who inflicted said pain did snow angels right NEXT to him. I wasn't a big Frank fan in the end but the team NEVER looked that bad under him period! EVEN when Jeff took over the team was hovering at .500

After seeing Ballard take it on the chin and own it at his presser it's hard for me to believe that Jeff Saturday is his vision as the LONG TERM answer at hc.

Your last paragraph isn't total biased hogwash. Have a good day.

13 hours ago, JColts72 said:

He actually did not have other leaders available that he could trust to gain the information he was looking for.

You are talking about people that will soon be fired. 

Saturday did what could be done as a leader. LMAO anyone thinking that without Reich and Brady and with Ryan being a big dud we were going to outscore ANYONE. Plum silliness! 

The Best BIG NEWS is Frank is GONE!

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

He actually did not have other leaders available that he could trust to gain the information he was looking for.

You are talking about people that will soon be fired. 

Saturday did what could be done as a leader. LMAO anyone thinking that without Reich and Brady and with Ryan being a big dud we were going to outscore ANYONE. Plum silliness! 

The Best BIG NEWS is Frank is GONE!

That is exactly what some don't seem to understand.  Why Jeff was hired in the first place? 

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This might sound way out of the box maybe Irsay gave Saturday the interim HC job to just see what he could do before hiring him full time. Because that way he wasn’t stuck with him for a few years. Imagine hiring him after the season and then finding out what a failure he was as coach.

He had no off season, didn't have his own staff and had less than a week to prepare for his 1st game. If you know how successful Jeff could be based on this year, I'd love to know how 

36 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Your last paragraph isn't total biased hogwash. Have a good day.

Biased hogwash?! Let's see....

A) I guess the Colts HAVEN'T interviewed

some strong candidates.

B) I guess other owners see Jeff as a viable 

candidate as evident with their requested

interviews.

C) I guess the Colts weren't hovering around

.500 when Jeff took over MID season and

preceded to go almost winless at 1- 7 with

some HISTORICAL collapses in the

process.

D)  Maybe Jeff didn't KNOW that he had to

inherit a previous staff as interim hc when

he took over.

So biased no... The truth hurts sometimes Jeff and you actually have it easy on this board (compared to what the national media thought of your END result) because you were a Colt great but that doesn't mean you're the answer at hc. 

4 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

I believe this. If  Irsay hires Saturday he is trying to achieve two things. A total tank for 2023 and shot at the top pick.  Also a means of forcing Ballard out.  Ballard will agree on a buy out and he will be gone. There is no other reason for him to hire Saturday other than those two reasons.

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I believe this. If  Irsay hires Saturday he is trying to achieve two things. A total tank for 2023 and shot at the top pick.  Also a means of forcing Ballard out.  Ballard will agree on a buy out and he will be gone. There is no other reason for him to hire Saturday other than those two reasons.

If he wants Ballard gone he would just fire him.   Where do you come up with this stuff?

3 hours ago, coltsblue1844 said:

He had no off season, didn't have his own staff and had less than a week to prepare for his 1st game. If you know how successful Jeff could be based on this year, I'd love to know how 

Alot of coaches come in during season if HC fired and do turn thing around. Can't make  excuses for Jeff.

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If he wants Ballard gone he would just fire him.   Where do you come up with this stuff?

you fire him you owe him big time. You frustrate and continue to undermine him, he comes to you and says that this is just not working. Thats called a settlement and buying out his contract.   I said this scenario only if Irsay hires  Saturday because no way in hell Ballard wants Saturday and for Jim to hire Jeff would basically  say that Ballard is a lame GM and has no power.

23 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

you fire him you owe him big time. You frustrate and continue to undermine him, he comes to you and says that this is just not working. Thats called a settlement and buying out his contract.   I said this scenario only if Irsay hires  Saturday because no way in hell Ballard wants Saturday and for Jim to hire Jeff would basically  say that Ballard is a lame GM and has no power.

He just paid Frank Reich a lot of money to walk.   He wouldn't put some nonsense scheme together if he didn't want Ballard to be here

15 minutes ago, philba101 said:

So, does a completed Saturday interview mean the Colts are done interviewing other candidates? Would you want to hear Saturday last to see how his perspective/approach as the interim was different than all of the outside interviewers?

Hope not; still have Ryans, Quinn, Dorsey, 2 Giants coaches.

2 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Alot of coaches come in during season if HC fired and do turn thing around. Can't make  excuses for Jeff.

And 100% of those coaches come from that current staff, so that coach also knows all the players, coaches, schemes etc AND has had at least one but most likely multiple off seasons with the team, also!

So it's 100% NOT making excuses for Jeff, it's being fair to him.

People seem to forget that when he was hired, everyone knew it was the 1st time any team had done anything like this before and made a huge deal of it...now that Jeff didn't "turn it around" people think he is a failure.

Ballard himself said it would be unfair to judge Jeff based on this year, and for the exact reasons I've pointed out.

Seems everyone on here can't understand the actual situation lol. We are all fans who want to win, but let's take a minute to look at it for what it actually is.

3 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

And 100% of those coaches come from that current staff, so that coach also knows all the players, coaches, schemes etc AND has had at least one but most likely multiple off seasons with the team, also!

People seem to forget that when he was hired, everyone knew it was the 1st time any team had done anything like this before and made a huge deal of it...now that Jeff didn't "turn it around" people think he is a failure.

Ballard himself said it would be unfair to judge Jeff based on this year, and for the exact reasons I've pointed out.

Seems everyone on here can't understand the actual situation lol. We are all fans who want to win, but let's take a minute to look at it for what it actually is.

I hope you guys bounce back next season.

Just now, Arodgers12 said:

I hope you guys bounce back next season.

We aren't as far away as many on here or in the media seem to think.

Sure we need to nail the HC and QB spots, but we have a lot of talent and will have Leonard and Taylor back, next year...Raimann will keep getting better also?

Just now, coltsblue1844 said:

We aren't as far away as many on here or in the media seem to think.

Sure we need to nail the HC and QB spots, but we have a lot of talent and will have Leonard and Taylor back, next year...Raimann will keep getting better also?

You guys nearly made the playoffs last year and made it the year before. You’ll bounce back. How’s your D line?

3 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

He was already a PAID consultant for the team. By his own words he was already familiar with the staff and players. There's a REASON no one has done this before... The RESULTS are to be expected!!! There's a REASON that with all of the other coaching vacancies that NO other owner has reached out to Jeff to schedule an interview after his lackluster (and that's being kind) run came to an merciful end.

Archived