Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I really don’t care what history says.

What history shows is we are the kings of the AFC South with 9 division Titles and the only team to win a SB in the South in which happened in 2006. You may not care but history is a gigantic part of this game. Any time someone wants to brag about the Texans, Titans, or Jags, I will say he has won more in history Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That shows you how bad Wentz is. I have no idea why that team doesn't role Taylor??

wentz is the perfect example of how important leadership and reading a defense are in the nfl .     he has elite talent can make every throw but sucks under pressure and cant read a defense and go through his progressions

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

wentz is the perfect example of how important leadership and reading a defense are in the nfl .     he has elite talent can make every throw but sucks under pressure and cant read a defense and go through his progressions

IMO, Wentz has more talent than Matt Ryan ever had, stronger arm too but what Ryan had in his prime, he was smart and could read defenses pretty well. This season Ryan didn't have it either.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IMO, Wentz has more talent than Matt Ryan ever had, stronger arm too but what Ryan had in his prime, he was smart and could read defenses pretty well. This season Ryan didn't have it either.

this is the reason i would never draft cj stroud  .....    he has a 30 qbr against pressure ranked almost dead last out of the QBs under pressure .  watching his tape most of his highlights are on his first read throwing to wide open elite wrs .    i want levis because he throws guys open can throw under pressure off balance and plays in a pro style offense .

guys like young can pull desean watson type plays and it works when they are young but as soon as they hit 30 its over . look at wilson on the broncos now that he lost a step he cant go off script with his legs and looks average .   i wanna take a QB who can be good for 15 plus years not 7 and fall off hard .

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wow I don’t know if this is true but says colts have already called. He mentions Michael Pittman in the deal. There is a video if you click on it. Mentions he thinks they want Levis. Kaplan is a very respected journalist. The other player maybe Moore?

This all makes perfect sense to me.  I can see Ballard identifying Levis as his quarterback for the Colts.  And I think he’s going to trade into the 1st pick to get him.  I hope Stroud comes out to keep the price down.  But I think the trade happens regardless.  He just said he will do what it takes to get his franchise quarterback.  And I don’t think he takes the chance and not make the trade.  I believe he will make the trade with Poles and both of them and Irsay will be happy with the deal.

4 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

this is the reason i would never draft cj stroud  .....    he has a 30 qbr against pressure ranked almost dead last out of the QBs under pressure .  watching his tape most of his highlights are on his first read throwing to wide open elite wrs .    i want levis because he throws guys open can throw under pressure off balance and plays in a pro style offense .

guys like young can pull desean watson type plays and it works when they are young but as soon as they hit 30 its over . look at wilson on the broncos now that he lost a step he cant go off script with his legs and looks average .   i wanna take a QB who can be good for 15 plus years not 7 and fall off hard .

Yeah I like Young the best out of who is coming out.

The best/luckiest things among several great/lucky things the 49ers did is take a chance on a guy with a cancerous growth and gave up a 3rd and a 5th round pick for Trent Williams who is playing as dominating FB as any player in the league ever has.  This dude is possibly the best player at any position and the most valuable player not named Allen or Mahomes.  The dude had cancer that could have gotten life threatening.

Another great/Lucky move was Samuel dropped and was available in the 2nd.  He should have been top 5.

Another great/lucky move is getting the best all around TE in the league in the 5th round.  This guy plays like a top 5 pick so I think they were lucky mostly here.  There is no way they knew this guy was great because if they did they wouldn’t have waited until the 5th.

Then their 1st round draft plays like a 23rd drafted receiver in Aiyuk.

And they have Bosa whom they drafted 3rd.

So I agree Lynch is a really awesome GM, but he took a chance on Williams that could have went south and gave up next to nothing .  Got lucky as can be on Kittle.  Was fortunate Debo dropped.  All these moves were fortunate for them.

the Lance trade doesn’t look good at all right now, but it might still work out.  The kid is only 22.  I don’t know if people realize that .  He’s barely played.  But they gave up a ton to get him and could try it because they were so fortunate with all these other moves.

so my point is yeah he’s great but they’ve kinda been living a charmed life too.

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This all makes perfect sense to me.  I can see Ballard identifying Levis as his quarterback for the Colts.  And I think he’s going to trade into the 1st pick to get him.  I hope Stroud comes out to keep the price down.  But I think the trade happens regardless.  He just said he will do what it takes to get his franchise quarterback.  And I don’t think he takes the chance and not make the trade.  I believe he will make the trade with Poles and both of them and Irsay will be happy with the deal.

People can complain they don’t want to trade up but if Ballard believes he is the guy to be the franchise QB he should do what he has to do to get him. Doesn’t matter what fans think. It’s what the colts think about him.

40 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Even it doesn’t fully repeat, it parallels enough 

The comment about trading up to number one not translating into super bowl wins was a silly correlation to try and make.

Its only even happened twice for QBS, one was good one was bad.   Somebody did it for a tackle and another for a RB. 

3 hours ago, Pelt said:

"They want Levis"?

Does it seem a little 'cart before the horse' to have your QB identified before getting your coaching staff identified and in place?

It does. Most of those rumors are nonsense right now. They probably haven't even started ranking any of the players. 

BTW that's not to say that we(or others) haven't called the Bears to test the waters for potential trade. It would be fireable offense if we haven't made any exploratory talks. If for nothing else to at least let them know we might be interested so in case they get an offer they are ready to accept, they would have the incentive to call us up and give us a chance to match/beat the offer. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Harbaugh and Young and we go from 4 wins to at least 9, maybe 10. 

Lol.  Listen I like Harbaughs rather  quirky demeanor. Before we all go proclaiming him a coaching God let us remember one thing. It was that defence of the 49ers that made it tick. He was creditied with establishing a  culture and I get it. But I think  other coaches could bring that attitude with them. All u criticizing  Frank on his play calling know this. I heard various  GMs slam Harbaugh for the play calling in the TCU game especially on 2nd down. I think Harbaugh  has that sledge hammer mentality on offence and I am not sure it will work. I do think that Jim has a shirt shelf life. I think he is really hard to work with.  Honestly I would rater give Morris or Bubba  a shot this year and retool next if they are a disaster.

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t know how I would feel about losing Pittman but if it got us a QB I am ok with it. Especially if we get to keep our 2nd this year.  

Pittman would be so good with fields.

If they would be that good.  Maybe we should send our 4th for Fields then?  

3 hours ago, Pelt said:

"They want Levis"?

Does it seem a little 'cart before the horse' to have your QB identified before getting your coaching staff identified and in place?

I don’t think so.  Good chance he will be working with one of the top three quarterbacks in the draft.  Ballard identifies and gets the talent.  He and his staff develop it.

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wow I don’t know if this is true but says colts have already called. He mentions Michael Pittman in the deal. There is a video if you click on it. Mentions he thinks they want Levis. Kaplan is a very respected journalist. The other player maybe Moore?

Hopefully they can get Levis at #4, but once the combine and that stage of the evaluation process hits, bowl games will go out the window.  He might not be thrre at #4.  If Stroud doesn't declare, he certainly won't be.  

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t think so.  Good chance he will be working with one of the top three quarterbacks in the draft.  Ballard identifies and gets the talent.  He and his staff develop it.

Ballard may like stroud or Levis enough he is ready to start talking about a trade up. Ballard has a colts connection he can use to get more info on Levis at KY.

I wonder if they ask coaching candidates their thoughts on these 3 and if that influences who they hire.

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Hopefully they can get Levis at #4, but once the combine and that stage of the evaluation process hits, bowl games will go out the window.  He might not be at #4.  If Stroud doesn't declare, he certainly won't be.  

I really don’t think Ballard will be a risk taker here.  Too much at stake for him and the franchise.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard may like stroud or Levis enough he is ready to start talking about a trade up. Ballard has a colts connection he can use to get more info on Levis at KY.

I wonder if they ask coaching candidates their thoughts on these 3 and if that influences who they hire.

I know I would without giving anything away.  After all we have the 4th pick.

Just now, richard pallo said:

I really don’t think Ballard will be a risk taker here.  Too much at stake for him and the franchise.

It's a risk either way, though.  Giving up a haul to do it us also a big risk.  

The problem for us in the equation is the fact Ballard likely has no interest in Young, so you may have to do something.

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Again I think it will be a huge mistake trading up to #1 for a guy like Levis. He is such a risk with his questionable decision making he’s shown. 

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Again I think it will be a huge mistake trading up to #1 for a guy like Levis. He is such a risk with his questionable decision making he’s shown. 

Problem is both Stroud and Levis could be gone by then and Ballard would likely pass on Young.  

To me, taking Tanner McKee would be the textbook definition of taking a QB just to take one.

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

He knows more about these guys than you or me.  If he does trade up and take him he has passed Ballard’s scrutiny and I’m good with whatever it costs to get him.

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would think it would be more prudent to identify who the best head coach and his staff would be - first and foremost. 

Then they come together to reach a consensus on who the best QB would be there to take to best fit their agreed upon team (Offensive) philosophy.

I can't see letting a potential great future head coach get away because he doesn't fit the vision of building around a mediocre QB that was identified first.

Just remember there are things the colts see when talking to these quarterbacks that we as fans don’t get to hear. They have a lot more information. If  he is a guy you want at four you think he is a franchise guy so so what you have to to get them. You don’t want Texans to be forced to take Levis at 2 if someone else trades up for young. Then your left dry if stroud doesn’t declare. If stroud does declare and colts don’t have a preference between Levis or him then you stay at 4 and take the one that is left. 

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts have a little leg up on Levis. They have a former assistant on that Kentucky staff.  But I agree the coaching hire could easily change things.

If u think Levi is the guy then  yes u pull the string. My only concern is this and it is a big one. The people  making that decision is a FO and scouting staff that have a below 500 record in the NFL. This team is not littered with elite players due to this scouting and GM. I don't  thin the Colts have the ammo to move up. If the Texans  want him, he is there guy.

3 minutes ago, Pelt said:

I would think it would be more prudent to identify who the best head coach and his staff would be - first and foremost. 

Then they come together to reach a consensus on who the best QB would be there to take to best fit their agreed upon team (Offensive) philosophy.

I can't see letting a potential great future head coach get away because he doesn't fit the vision of building around a mediocre QB that was identified first.

You don’t know if any of these guys will be mediocre. Levis is farther ahead then even Allen was because of completion in the SEC. His completion percentage is even way better then Allen’s coming out of college.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If u think Levi is the guy then  yes u pull the string. My only concern is this and it is a big one. The people  making that decision is a FO and scouting staff that have a below 500 record in the NFL. This team is not littered with elite players due to this scouting and GM. I don't  thin the Colts have the ammo to move up. If the Texans  want him, he is there guy.

This is why stroud not declaring would change things.

2 minutes ago, Pelt said:

I can't see letting a potential great future head coach get away because he doesn't fit the vision of building around a mediocre QB.

They are going to hire the coach first.  I can safely say they will not think the quarterback they draft is mediocre.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You don’t know if any of these guys will be mediocre. Levis is farther ahead then even Allen was because of completion in the SEC. His completion percentage is even way better then Allen’s coming out of college.

This is why stroud not declaring would change things.

Maybe Stroud is getting honest feedback back and  that he needs more time in college. All the draft guys  have him going in the top 10 or even top 5.. Who knows maybe the NFL has him graded as  a  second rounder.

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Colts have plenty of ammunition to move up.  That is not a problem.

I don’t think Ballard cares what anyone else think if he picks Levis. All he cares about is if Levis can help colts win games and get them over the hump. He trusts his evaluators.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Texans own the 2nd and top 10 pick. Cannot compete with that.

Maybe they don’t want to give up that second first. 

Archived