Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts most likely will not draft a QB (Jordan Love)

runthepost

Even if these reports are true, who here trusts Ballard to give up a first rounder, which is most likely the price that clinches a Jordan Love trade with the Packers? A team with a late first rounder might have the luxury. A team with multiple first rounders like the Seahawks has the luxury for investing a first rounder and his time running out in 2 before a franchise tag is invoked.

Ballard and Reich had seen Wentz with starting experience in the NFL and felt it was worth spending a first rounder for a 2 year maximum trial period, mainly because they knew (or thought they knew) what he could bring to the table. It almost worked out too, IMO. What are we basing our Jordan Love “love fest” on? His pre-draft arm strength? His few good throws in pre-season and in 1 game for a series?

Its very very unlikely the Colts go down that road again. If they’re going to give up an extra or high first rounder, I’d rather do so (and likely the Colts) by moving to No.2 and getting Will Levis for 5 years. It’s a matter of cost and longevity of return now.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

You don’t think Ballard has to win now?  I do.  I still believe Irsay expects to make the playoffs next year.  Get a competent coach, quarterback and an improved OL and I think we can.  Trading Love makes sense if Rodgers continues to play.  He’s not giving up all of that money.  I think the Packers are expecting him to play at least two more years.  I read an article where it said Love might force a trade.  Should be an interesting off-season for them as well.

I don’t think Ballard is here next year. Even if he is, it’s with the understanding he needs to improve his own mess.

Drafting a QB isn’t a win now move and we’re drafting a QB. I don’t believe Irsay will get behind another bandaid QB. I’ll go on record for saying that. 

It’s not “just” a competent HC, a compentent QB and an improved Oline. It’s a new playbook, at least one new coordinator and new assistent coaches. Nothing we do this offseason will be plug and play and will need time to mesh. 

I agree Rodgers isn’t walking away from that contract. Doesn’t mean Love will get traded. He doesn’t really have a lot of leverage. Also, like I said, if the Packers give him up without much fight it has to be a red flag. 

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colt fans aren’t going to be happy unless they get manning or luck again. Everyone else in their eyes is trash. 

Everyone else is trash, but we will have to make due. Lol

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

Rodgers likely retires at season end. He’s played like crap. The fact of the matter is, Jordan Love would have taken over by now IF he was capable of better play than Rodgers this season. And even if he’s a step below, the Packers aren’t trading Love IF he’s even remotely decent when Rodgers is a huge Question mark.considering they could have had a kings ransom for Rodgers last year and chose to cave to his demands, that tells me Love isn’t as good as they thought when they drafted him

It's unbelievable how anyone can consider a potential Jordan Love trade, for any team, and not grasp this.

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Because it’s nonsense.  If Rodgers is healthy enough to play he plays.  They didn’t guarantee him all that money to sit.  

Sure, but Rodgers seems to have hit a wall like Ryan has. I think it’s a real possibility that Rodgers retires. More so than even Matt Ryan. So if Jordan Love is even remotely decent, why would the Packers even consider trading him

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Sure, but Rodgers seems to have hit a wall like Ryan has. I think it’s a real possibility that Rodgers retires. More so than even Matt Ryan. So if Jordan Love is even remotely decent, why would the Packers even consider trading him

If he retires Love stays a Packer.  No doubt.  If he doesn’t retire that’s a horse of a different color. 

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

If Rodgers has hit a wall, then Rodgers is our next QB!

Don’t know if he’ll be there when we draft but I’ll hope for Duggan from TCU.  Haven’t seen him play yet hoping to during the playoffs.  I want him because he was the Heisman runner-up.  Historically we have done well with Heisman runner-ups (Manning and Luck).

Hey...

I am watching Brock Purdy from SF carve up Tampa Bay in the first half. SF took Mr. Irrelevant and DECIDED THEY COULD COACH HIM UP.

Our front office and fans seem to think teaching is something that is not needed and the QB for the Colts should be plug-n-play.

We can't be afraid to draft a young guy and play him. I know SF was forced but they didn't freak out when QB1 and QB2 were injured and traded for an old QB who is sitting the pine somewhere else (or sitting at home.. this is something I have seen us do)

We have to be willing to try.

Why would the packers give up on a draft pick that they have had a chance to watch him in practice for TWO YEARS

Their QB is a step away from the old folks home

If THEY have given up on Love..........  Why would WE think that all of a sudden....... HE is the answer?

If HE is the guy..... I am all for it...... but I am checking to see if I still have my wallet when Im done negotiating

I remember some team giving up a round 1 pick for some RB "rolling ball of butcher knives" 

Who was that team ???  .... HMMM  I cant remember....

40 minutes ago, Farns01 said:

Don’t know if he’ll be there when we draft but I’ll hope for Duggan from TCU.  Haven’t seen him play yet hoping to during the playoffs.  I want him because he was the Heisman runner-up.  Historically we have done well with Heisman runner-ups (Manning and Luck).

Duggan is worth watching

The kid is a leader

Is he the next all Pro SB team leader...... WHO KNOWS????  (I dont)

But he sure is good as a team leader...... to win games

23 minutes ago, Introspect said:

and the QB for the Colts should be plug-n-play.

I dont know...... I sure hope so

My GUT says.... that we may have a crappy season while the future QB learns to play NFL level football

I am old...... I am patient

New cast off QB..... 3 years in a row,,,,,, doesnt seem to work

On 12/10/2022 at 6:07 PM, runthepost said:

“Taking (a quarterback) in the first round will get y'all off my (butt) for a little bit," he said, "but the moment he doesn't play well, I'm getting run out the door. There's a difference between taking one and taking the right one.“

Reason why he targets a proven commodity 

Which is why it's time for him to go. 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Because it’s nonsense.  If Rodgers is healthy enough to play he plays.  They didn’t guarantee him all that money to sit.  

What is nonsense is believing the Packers would trade Jordan Love if they thought he was their future at QB. 

If a team wants to they find a way to move on from players even if the financial aspects are difficult. If the Packers really thought highly of Jordan Love they would move on from a 39 year old Aaron Rodgers and keep Love.

8 hours ago, richard pallo said:

He’s taken 87 regular season snaps over the last THREE years.   Very small amount playing behind Rodgers.  Hardly enough to make any conclusion on his abilities.

Which part of my comment was wrong I have not seen him do anything that’s worth us trading for him and not drafting our own guy

20 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Why would the packers give up on a draft pick that they have had a chance to watch him in practice for TWO YEARS

Their QB is a step away from the old folks home

If THEY have given up on Love..........  Why would WE think that all of a sudden....... HE is the answer?

If HE is the guy..... I am all for it...... but I am checking to see if I still have my wallet when Im done negotiating

I remember some team giving up a round 1 pick for some RB "rolling ball of butcher knives" 

Who was that team ???  .... HMMM  I cant remember....

I thought I saw an interview with Rodgers and he wasn't even sure if he was coming back next season.

GB will hold onto Love for insurance of Rodgers leaving or retiring.

Archived