Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who will be the Colts starting QB next season?

Nesjan3

Who will be the Colts starting QB next season?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Colts starting QB next season?

• Matt Ryan
    • Sam Ehlinger
    • Lamar Jackson
    • Trey Lance
    • Jimmy G
    • Derrick Carr
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Jarod Goff
    • Cooper Rush
    • Tom Brady
    • Big Ben, Dree Brees or someone else out of retirement
    • Draft pick, currently drafting #14 and likely with a couple more wins will land is this ball park
    • Anyone else, please state.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

What about trading for Zach Wilson?

I'm firmly against retreads and players who have already shown serious flaws and inability to raise the level of a team. Nobody is giving up on young franchise QBs. If he's available and his team has already given up on him, then the likelihood that he's not a franchise player is very high. 

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Imperfect world because it won’t happen…..Lamar Jackson

Realistically……Matt Ryan while Hendon Hooker rehabs and learns behind a clipboard.

A slight surprise…..Jimmy G since he is a game manager type and we’re built to run, use our ginormous tight ends and pick and roll WRs…..

I agree. Most likely Ryan while we groom a younger QB.

Hooker could fall to the 4th or 5th because of his injury and age.

Garoppolo is very interesting as well. He'll be a UFA in 2023 and only 31 years old.

Wouldn't be shocked if Colts made a move for him and no need to trade picks

12 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Garoppolo is very interesting as well. He'll be a UFA in 2023 and only 31 years old.

Talk Matt into retirement....sign Jimmy G and draft our QB in 2024 ( BETTER QB class)

Can we go ahead and draft Arch Manning, so we have his draft rights when he declares for the draft?  Kind of like what the Celtics did with Larry Bird, if I recall correctly.  If we can, then do that and wait until he's here and in the meantime, we have Ryan next year and Sam or another retread until Manning 2.0 arrives.

Ok, to be serious, though.  We can't stay put with Ryan.  We already know how that goes.  And we can't go get yet another one-and-done veteran.  We've done that too many times.

It's time to draft a young QB, pair him with a new OC, and go from there.

My eye is still on Levis.  For now.  But regardless of who it is, we should go the draft route.

Where is all of this Levis hype coming from?  He feels like another overhyped guy that the pundits are purposefully moving up to get drafted higher than he should.  Another Josh Wilson, Sam Darnold, or Mitch Trubisky.  Hard pass.  I remember Mel saying that Darnold, after playing like trash every year of his NFL career, was a better prospect than Fields and he’d advocate trading for Darnold over taking Fields in last year’s draft.  

Because of that nonsense I no longer trust Mel’s opinion on QB’s because he seems to always insert an overhyped prospect in there for “traits” while ignoring those same “traits” in others.  What’s the difference between Levis, Hooker, Duggan, or McCall?

12 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Where is all of this Levis hype coming from?  He feels like another overhyped guy that the pundits are purposefully moving up to get drafted higher than he should.  Another Josh Wilson, Sam Darnold, or Mitch Trubisky.  Hard pass.  I remember Mel saying that Darnold, after playing like trash every year of his NFL career, was a better prospect than Fields and he’d advocate trading for Darnold over taking Fields in last year’s draft.  

Because of that nonsense I no longer trust Mel’s opinion on QB’s because he seems to always insert an overhyped prospect in there for “traits” while ignoring those same “traits” in others.  What’s the difference between Levis, Hooker, Duggan, or McCall?

Levis came into this season as the third QB behind Young and Stroud.  But after Kentucky's victories over Florida and Ole Miss, the hype reached a fever pitch.  One pundit actually projected Levis to be the #1 overall pick!  That hype has all quieted down now.  After his terrible game against Tennessee, and his poor showing vs Vanderbilt, his star is no longer shining quite as brightly as it did.  Still, he's got a lot of good things to work with.

But you're not wrong.  Over and over, the pundits rave about this QB or that, and then they amount to nothing in the NFL.  Just relying on the hype isn't good enough.  After Young and Stroud, is Levis truly the best of the rest?  Or not?

19 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I don’t know where Mel has Levis ranked but PFF has him as the THIRD overall prospect.  That’s extremely high.  He is also the only quarterback playing in a pro style offense with a couple of former NFL coaches on Kentuckys staff.  Unfortunately he is not on a strong team.  His receivers are average at best.  His performance against number one Georgia has elevated his standing even more.  Some think he could be the number one quarterback drafted.  You never know.  All I know is the Colts are following him closely and we would hit the jackpot if we were able to find a way to get him.

3 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Jimmy G is the perfect fit for the Colts if they decide to go with a veteran again.  He’s the only one I would be interested in.  His current availability status is perfect and we could use the draft and FA to close a few holes.  I would not be shocked at all if we sign him

20 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Who will start next season?

It’s either going to be Ryan or a draft pick.

problem is: we’re too far down to get anyone decent. So that means a trade. And frankly, I’m not impressed with any of these QBs coming out. So I’d rather us draft the best prospect that can put points on the board, TE or WR. If none of those are studs, go BPA at LT. 

6 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

With Trey Lance on the roster, 49ers gave about $7 mil. Guaranteed only with incentives that could go up to $14 million.

If Matt Ryan is retired or cut, I’d draft a rookie AND get Jimmy G for 2 years $50 million or something, the average we have paid Rivers, Wentz, Ryan etc.. No way the 49ers match that.

Compared to Matt Ryan, we will be able to get better QB play from Jimmy G, will at least be able to stretch the field a bit more.

So if we get a guy like Duggan or Hooker or even Levis, we can have a redshirt year and not rush any of them till they are ready, IMO. Or we resign ourselves in excruciating fashion to Matt Ryan and have another mediocre purgatory season. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t know where Mel has Levis ranked but PFF has him as the THIRD overall prospect.  That’s extremely high.  He is also the only quarterback playing in a pro style offense with a couple of former NFL coaches on Kentuckys staff.  Unfortunately he is not on a strong team.  His receivers are average at best.  His performance against number one Georgia has elevated his standing even more.  Some think he could be the number one quarterback drafted.  You never know.  All I know is the Colts are following him closely and we would hit the jackpot if we were able to find a way to get him.

Really!!! I thought he played terrible vs Georgia. That INT he threw, bad read or bad touch. He’s got Josh Allen like arm strength talent but his head is all over the place and he doesn’t handle pressure well.

If he’s drafted, I don’t want Ballard as GM because he won’t spend to get a Stefon Diggs or spend in FA to support his QB on the skill positions front, IMO.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Really!!! I thought he played terrible vs Georgia. That INT he threw, bad read or bad touch. He’s got Josh Allen like arm strength talent but his head is all over the place and he doesn’t handle pressure well.

If he’s drafted, I don’t want Ballard as GM because he won’t spend to get a Stefon Diggs or spend in FA to support his QB on the skill positions front, IMO.

He still has the lukewarm performance against Vanderbilt 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Josh Allen had a lot of issues as a rookie. Credit him for working his butt off and coaches developing him.  The improvements he made are usually unheard of. Especially the accuracy issue.

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Josh Allen had a lot of issues as a rookie. Credit him for working his butt off and coaches developing him.  The improvements he made are usually unheard of. Especially the accuracy issue.

Well, can’t get it right if you don’t attempt to get it right. If we let go of Foles and Matt Ryan, I wonder if we doubled down on QB with a guy like Jarren Hall of BYU in Round 4 like Washington did with RG3 and Cousins.

24 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Well, can’t get it right if you don’t attempt to get it right. If we let go of Foles and Matt Ryan, I wonder if we doubled down on QB with a guy like Jarren Hall of BYU in Round 4 like Washington did with RG3 and Cousins.

I bet Foles or Ryan is still near. If Ryan retired would it really surprise you if we kept Foles as a mentor to a young QB. Maybe even to start a year. We may end up starting Foles if Ryan retires and we don’t draft a QB.  You want a vet in there if your going after a young QB.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I bet Foles or Ryan is still near. If Ryan retired would it really surprise you if we kept Foles as a mentor to a young QB. Maybe even to start a year. We may end up starting Foles if Ryan retires and we don’t draft a QB.  You want a vet in there if your going after a young QB.

Sam E is our vet. If he isn’t by Year 3, might as well save a roster spot, IMO. Seriously, what is he offering otherwise if we can’t play him by Year 3?

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He’s there for injury backup with our older quarterbacks.  Next year he will be gone.

That’s my point to the other poster. If Sam E can’t be the vet on our roster, he needs to go. We can double down on 2 rookie QBs that are similar if we want to because Sam E would be the odd man out. So we’re on the same page. :thmup:

Matt Ryan’s salary is guaranteed next year and he is not going to walk away from that money for this train wreck franchise. Whether you start him or not, he’s gonna be on the roster. Fire Ballard, get a new HC and draft a QB. Get a good LT in FA. It ain’t rocket science.

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

That’s my point to the other poster. If Sam E can’t be the vet on our roster, he needs to go. We can double down on 2 rookie QBs that are similar if we want to because Sam E would be the odd man out. So we’re on the same page. :thmup:

That would not be smart. If you have a rookie you need a vet backup.

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Sam E is our vet. If he isn’t by Year 3, might as well save a roster spot, IMO. Seriously, what is he offering otherwise if we can’t play him by Year 3?

Sam isn’t a vet. They probably won’t let Foles go until they know what is going to happen with Ryan. You don’t want Sam being the backup to a rookie.

14 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I’m gonna have to go check him out a little deeper because I have not been impressed by him thus far.  Not enough to take him high in the 1st round.  He seemed like a product of WanDale Robinson’s dynamism last year and this year is his reality check.  Maybe he’s quietly nursing an injury or something.  I just haven’t seen the consistent good to great QB play from Levis.  

Anyway, If we mess around and win another game or 2 and don’t rise in the draft, I can see us having to trade with Chicago for their potential top 3 pick.  I wonder if we could see a scenario where we could either trade players & picks for Fields or trade even more players and picks for their top 3 pick?  Flus could be interested in getting some of his defensive stalwarts back.  Like maybe, Moore & possibly Leonard?  I’d actually like to see Fields & Taylor wreaking havoc on defenses with our running attack and then, with Justin already being one of the league’s best deep ball throwers, having a pair of go up and get it guys like Pierce & Pittman could be explosive. 

You seem impressed enough with Levis.  Would you rather trade up for him or trade for Fields?  I’m just scared of us moving up for one of these QB’s that are overhyped because they know everyone is chasing QB’s.  With Houston having the top pick (for a franchise QB) and a ridiculous amount of draft capital over the next few years, the wrong move by us at QB could put us in the cellar of the division for the next few years. 

Archived