Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who will be the Colts starting QB next season?

Nesjan3

Who will be the Colts starting QB next season?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Colts starting QB next season?

• Matt Ryan
    • Sam Ehlinger
    • Lamar Jackson
    • Trey Lance
    • Jimmy G
    • Derrick Carr
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Jarod Goff
    • Cooper Rush
    • Tom Brady
    • Big Ben, Dree Brees or someone else out of retirement
    • Draft pick, currently drafting #14 and likely with a couple more wins will land is this ball park
    • Anyone else, please state.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully it will be the great Aaron Rodgers and draft a QB with our first and take a flier for possibly 2024 and also draft a injured Hooker.

That is addressing a major weakness, acquiring one of the greatest to ever play the position and have a top prospect join him in '23  and Hooker and our top pick for '24.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If they aren’t in position for a QB I could also see them just going with Sam and waiting until 23.  Let’s not forget Nick Foles is under contract too. There is a scenerio Ryan retires and Foles is the starter for a year as a rookie sits and watches or be the backup to a rookie. 

Sam I don’t think so.  It’s a business let’s not forget.  Need to sell tickets.  Sam can’t do that.  

What I don’t like is we are in a position where we are almost forced to take a QB in the draft. I don’t like being in that kind of position because that is how mistakes are made.

Chris Ballard though seems to put the same importance on a QB and other positions in the draft. In the draft QB is always most important. If the QB has a slightly less grade then another position you should take the QB. 

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Sam I don’t think so.  It’s a business let’s not forget.  Need to sell tickets.  Sam can’t do that.  

Colts are going to have to suck it up in order to move forward. You can’t move forward without taking a step back. We will see where we end up on the draft after the season. Maybe this year is our step back. 

Ballard doesn’t seem to be able to chew gum and walk at the same time. He showed this when he blamed media for taking a WR and not fixing the oline. Both things could of been addressed. He does this every year. He fixed what was wrong while he severely weakens something else and colts never get ahead.

Andy "light it up for one game a season" Dalton haha

For real, I could see Matt Ryan retire. In that case we will draft a QB IF we are in position draft wise. 

If he retires and the draft order isn't doing us any favor I can see CB trade for someone like Carr.

If CB is out after the season, the new GM will probably settle for high draft pick in 24 and gets rid of some core players in order to secure a high pick. 

41 minutes ago, ColtsGermany said:

Andy "light it up for one game a season" Dalton haha

For real, I could see Matt Ryan retire. In that case we will draft a QB IF we are in position draft wise. 

If he retires and the draft order isn't doing us any favor I can see CB trade for someone like Carr.

If CB is out after the season, the new GM will probably settle for high draft pick in 24 and gets rid of some core players in order to secure a high pick. 

Yep. I doubt they take a QB if there is a new GM. Just because there’s is such a short time to evaluate players  The one outlier to this is if they hired Dodds or brown as GM. If that happened things would be much smoother as far as player evaluations for a new GM after they are hired.  We might have to have another bad year next season to get where we need to be.

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yep. I doubt they take a QB if there is a new GM. Just because there’s is such a short time to evaluate players  The one outlier to this is if they hired Dodds or brown as GM. If that happened things would be much smoother as far as player evaluations for a new GM after they are hired.  We might have to have another bad year next season to get where we need to be.

many think Saturday is here to evaluate and take over as GM. we will see what happens. The Colts are probably going to have to trade up for a QB this year, and we are going to have to make some cuts in order to pick up a LT in FA. Unless our rookie just is THAT good. Which I don’t see happening. 

5 minutes ago, Indy87 said:

many think Saturday is here to evaluate and take over as GM. we will see what happens. The Colts are probably going to have to trade up for a QB this year, and we are going to have to make some cuts in order to pick up a LT in FA. Unless our rookie just is THAT good. Which I don’t see happening. 

Yeah that’s another thing that could lead to a smoother transition. I was thinking more about drafting and a QB. Guess it depends on how up a new GM is on the QB coming out. Basically have a month to evaluate the draft  after FA. I really do like Levis highlights. He ha s a huge arm and can run if needed. Not a running QB but enough to have to be accounted for.

I doubt that Ballard/Irsay repeat the path of finding a veteran with a high cap allocation.  That guy is already on the roster in Matt Ryan, so I think they just roll with him.  They will draft a QB.  Both Sam and the rookie will sit behind Ryan, IMO. 

Instead of finding another vet FA QB, they will probably look to vet FAs for the oline. 

Why would Matt Ryan retire? He's set to earn next season, and some other team will give him the starter job if Colts release him. 

He'd still be getting paid for a couple of years more as a high caliber bridge QB around the league if he chooses. He'd be better than so many backups in the league. The talk of Ryan retiring seems to happen only around here. 

9 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Why would Matt Ryan retire? He's set to earn next season, and some other team will give him the starter job if Colts release him. 

He'd still be getting paid for a couple of years more as a high caliber bridge QB around the league if he chooses. He'd be better than so many backups in the league. The talk of Ryan retiring seems to happen only around here. 

Maybe the money isn’t that important to him when he has already made multi millions.

23 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Maybe the money isn’t that important to him when he has already made multi millions.

None of my point was about money. He clearly loves playing, and that's why he came to Indianapolis. If he'd wanted to retire, he'd have done with one franchise, Falcons, at least taking a one day contract to sign off on his career. There's no sign he wants to retire. The situation didn't work out for him in Indy this year, but he could easily be in a more favourable situation with another franchise next year if Colts don't want him. I also think he'll stay here for this contract and help the young guys if colts decide to keep him and draft a rookie next year. He's lot of options open for him until the league shows no interest in him, and that'd take few years from now. 

Everyone thought Dalton will retire when Bengals didn't want him anymore but he's been a handy QB with few years left in him. QB market will always value higher than average guys like him until the teams find their franchise QBs. Only those long time starter QBs who want to play for only one franchise like Eli Manning or who wouldn't want to be a backup would retire after a long career. Ryan has already shown all the composure to handle volatile situations like this year and be a team player. Guys like him are valued for their knowledge and experience around the league. 

50 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

None of my point was about money. He clearly loves playing, and that's why he came to Indianapolis. If he'd wanted to retire, he'd have done with one franchise, Falcons, at least taking a one day contract to sign off on his career. There's no sign he wants to retire. The situation didn't work out for him in Indy this year, but he could easily be in a more favourable situation with another franchise next year if Colts don't want him. I also think he'll stay here for this contract and help the young guys if colts decide to keep him and draft a rookie next year. He's lot of options open for him until the league shows no interest in him, and that'd take few years from now. 

Everyone thought Dalton will retire when Bengals didn't want him anymore but he's been a handy QB with few years left in him. QB market will always value higher than average guys like him until the teams find their franchise QBs. Only those long time starter QBs who want to play for only one franchise like Eli Manning or who wouldn't want to be a backup would retire after a long career. Ryan has already shown all the composure to handle volatile situations like this year and be a team player. Guys like him are valued for their knowledge and experience around the league. 

When your 37 and getting killed a season like this could make him say I am done. Colts need to prove to him they want to win by getting more talent. This is a season that could make any QB his age stop and think if they still want to play.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Oh god no. He is so immature and can’t even take accountability when he plays bad. That would be a reclamation project. Trey Lance would not be. 

I was just throwing out a possibility. I am rooting for the kid. 

48 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I was just throwing out a possibility. I am rooting for the kid. 

He seems to have bad mechanics and footwork for a QB, that may not be ever rectifiable unless he puts in a lot of effort. Not sure how he went #2, that was one draft I didn't follow the NFL for months and it's a surprise he was considered that good. 

Did you get to see the recent press conference? When asked if the offense let down such a good defense by only scoring 3 points when the defense kept them in the game, he didn't even think for a second and said no, twice. 

Fields, I thought, was being immature early in the season. After the Last game, Fields called all the defensive players together and apologized for losing the game he exited with shoulder dislocation. Defensive players had to stop him mid-apology and assure him that they had his back (and shoulder :)). 

Zach Wilson at least could've shown leadership qualities, now there are reports that his players aren't happy with him, especially after that press meet. He seems to be going the Josh Rosen way. He'll have to work on his technique with some QB coach urgently, at least in the off-season. 

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He seems like a kid who has never had to be accountable for anything. Hopefully by benching him it turns his attitude around. 

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

He seems to have bad mechanics and footwork for a QB, that may not be ever rectifiable unless he puts in a lot of effort. Not sure how he went #2, that was one draft I didn't follow the NFL for months and it's a surprise he was considered that good. 

Did you get to see the recent press conference? When asked if the offense let down such a good defense by only scoring 3 points when the defense kept them in the game, he didn't even think for a second and said no, twice. 

Fields, I thought, was being immature early in the season. After the Last game, Fields called all the defensive players together and apologized for losing the game he exited with shoulder dislocation. Defensive players had to stop him mid-apology and assure him that they had his back (and shoulder :)). 

Zach Wilson at least could've shown leadership qualities, now there are reports that his players aren't happy with him, especially after that press meet. He seems to be going the Josh Rosen way. He'll have to work on his technique with some QB coach urgently, at least in the off-season. 

No, I had not seen his press conference. He seems like an innocent kid. He will learn. Cousins does not take responsibility for losses either and he is a veteran. 

Archived