Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who will be the Colts starting QB next season?

Nesjan3

Who will be the Colts starting QB next season?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Colts starting QB next season?

• Matt Ryan
    • Sam Ehlinger
    • Lamar Jackson
    • Trey Lance
    • Jimmy G
    • Derrick Carr
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Jarod Goff
    • Cooper Rush
    • Tom Brady
    • Big Ben, Dree Brees or someone else out of retirement
    • Draft pick, currently drafting #14 and likely with a couple more wins will land is this ball park
    • Anyone else, please state.

11 hours ago, chad72 said:

Really!!! I thought he played terrible vs Georgia. That INT he threw, bad read or bad touch. He’s got Josh Allen like arm strength talent but his head is all over the place and he doesn’t handle pressure well.

If he’s drafted, I don’t want Ballard as GM because he won’t spend to get a Stefon Diggs or spend in FA to support his QB on the skill positions front, IMO.

You don’t think Taylor, Pittman, Pierce, Woods, Granson, & Ogletree are a good foundational start at the skill positions?  

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I voted Matt Ryan but I also think we may draft a QB in Round 1 to sit behind him. Matt is still under contract through 2023 and he has said he doesn't want to retire. We need a LT though that can be at least above average which will be a huge need come off season.

Personally I think it’s the interior that has caused the most problems. When the QB can’t step up in the pocket it worse then edge. Center and right guard are more important to me.

37 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Personally I think it’s the interior that has caused the most problems. When the QB can’t step up in the pocket it worse then edge. Center and right guard are more important to me.

LT has been a huge problem since AC retired. To me it is one the most important positions. When you have a QB like Matt Ryan and his blindside isn't protected that is a disaster waiting to happen. A good LT would improve the whole O.Line and Nelson would probably be even more dominant than he is now.

8 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm sitting here amused thinking about how this board community was once demanding we draft a mid to late first round mediocre QB in Jordan Love, but is now trying to find any reason or trait to disqualify a QB that that will also be picked mid-first round.

Characteristics of certain QBs. They’ll say this player could be Josh Allen, but don’t account Josh Allen did something unheard of and improved his accuracy by 10+ percentage points

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

LT has been a huge problem since AC retired. To me it is one the most important positions. When you have a QB like Matt Ryan and his blindside isn't protected that is a disaster waiting to happen. A good LT would improve the whole O.Line and Nelson would probably be even more dominant than he is now.

Exactly why I made the 49ers reference. They lost an all pro LT to retirement , they traded for a better all-pro LT that off-season 

13 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm sitting here amused thinking about how this board community was once demanding we draft a mid to late first round mediocre QB in Jordan Love, but is now trying to find any reason or trait to disqualify a QB that that will also be picked mid-first round.

Count me out of that %, I never wanted Jordan Love and I didn't want to draft a QB last year either like some wanted. This years QB class is deep though, so I would be ok if we took one picking anywhere from 10-20 if that is where we pick. I like Max Duggan personally, he's accurate and fast/can run + he seems to have the intangibles that would make him a good NFL QB. 

31 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Exactly why I made the 49ers reference. They lost an all pro LT to retirement , they traded for a better all-pro LT that off-season 

I was really surprised when the 49’ers PAID Trent Williams, but looking back at it it was absolutely the right thing to do!

8 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

You don’t think Taylor, Pittman, Pierce, Woods, Granson, & Ogletree are a good foundational start at the skill positions?  

For starters, yes, if you have a QB and OC that utilizes all of them by stressing all levels of a D. However if a guy is needed to put them over the top, do you trust Ballard to go and get that 1 difference maker like the Bills did with Diggs or Dolphins did with Hill? I don’t.

1 hour ago, runthepost said:

Characteristics of certain QBs. They’ll say this player could be Josh Allen, but don’t account Josh Allen did something unheard of and improved his accuracy by 10+ percentage points

So did Jalen Hurts. Let’s not forget that. Work ethic and willingness to put the work in and be a student of the game is what the scouts are paid to dig into. 

On 11/23/2022 at 2:00 PM, stitches said:

Derek Carr probably... if Ballard can have his way. If not - either rookie or Matt Ryan while we wait on a rookie to develop. 

I hope we dont go with another teams QB....... again

Lets draft our rookie and let them learn behind Matt Ryan or Foles

10 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I hope we dont go with another teams QB....... again

Lets draft our rookie and let them learn behind Matt Ryan or Foles

I bet we draft one and he sits behind Matt for 1 year. If Matt stinks it up, go with the rookie I say. Sam is not the answer IMO, after what I seen at New England, he looked like Painter.

10 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I’m gonna have to go check him out a little deeper because I have not been impressed by him thus far.  Not enough to take him high in the 1st round.  He seemed like a product of WanDale Robinson’s dynamism last year and this year is his reality check.  Maybe he’s quietly nursing an injury or something.  I just haven’t seen the consistent good to great QB play from Levis.  

Anyway, If we mess around and win another game or 2 and don’t rise in the draft, I can see us having to trade with Chicago for their potential top 3 pick.  I wonder if we could see a scenario where we could either trade players & picks for Fields or trade even more players and picks for their top 3 pick?  Flus could be interested in getting some of his defensive stalwarts back.  Like maybe, Moore & possibly Leonard?  I’d actually like to see Fields & Taylor wreaking havoc on defenses with our running attack and then, with Justin already being one of the league’s best deep ball throwers, having a pair of go up and get it guys like Pierce & Pittman could be explosive. 

You seem impressed enough with Levis.  Would you rather trade up for him or trade for Fields?  I’m just scared of us moving up for one of these QB’s that are overhyped because they know everyone is chasing QB’s.  With Houston having the top pick (for a franchise QB) and a ridiculous amount of draft capital over the next few years, the wrong move by us at QB could put us in the cellar of the division for the next few years. 

I really don't see Fields being available at all.  I think they hit on Fields but if he became available I would pursue him for sure.  In either scenario we should be able to put a package together that Flus would like including players.  Leonard for sure I would think would be included.  Rodgers too I would think.  Maybe Buckner as well as being a possibility.  Fields has proven himself to me.  Any of the rookies, no matter who, is a gamble.  

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I really don't see Fields being available at all.  I think they hit on Fields but if he became available I would pursue him for sure.  In either scenario we should be able to put a package together that Flus would like including players.  Leonard for sure I would think would be included.  Rodgers too I would think.  Maybe Buckner as well as being a possibility.  Fields has proven himself to me.  Any of the rookies, no matter who, is a gamble.  

I was never a huge Fields fan but if he had protection I think he can be good. He is a nice duel QB, needs to work on his accuracy but he is above average, he can be good to great with the right players around him. I think Max Duggan is going to be the shock of the draft. He will go mid to late 1st round, maybe 2nd round and the guy is going to be similar to Josh Allen IMO. Everyone keeps talking about Young and Stroud but watch out for Duggan. I like Hooker but his injury kind of makes me want to back off that. I am in the minority here but I don't see why many like Levis. I have watched him have some major stinkers this year.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You can help a left tackle. A QB can also step up in pocket to avoid edge pressure. Can’t do that when it’s interior pressure. I will take edge pressure every day over interior pressure. 

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You can help a left tackle. A QB can also step up in pocket to avoid edge pressure. Can’t do that when it’s interior pressure. I will take edge pressure every day over interior pressure. 

We have the best LG in the league and it has done no good because as soon as Matt gets the ball here comes a fast edge rusher right on him. If Matt doesn't get rid of the ball within 2.5 seconds, he is screwed. One reason why he doesn't throw deep. He has the arm to throw deep, in practice and you can google it, he threw the ball 60 yards in the air from his own 40 to the end zone. Give him 3 seconds, we would see a few bombs to Paris.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We have the best LG in the league and it has done no good because as soon as Matt gets the ball here comes a fast edge rusher right on him. If Matt doesn't get rid of the ball within 2.5 seconds, he is screwed. One reason why he doesn't throw deep. He has the arm to throw deep, in practice and you can google it, he threw the ball 60 yards in the air from his own 40 to the end zone. Give him 3 seconds, we would see a few bombs to Paris.

I am talking about Ryan Kelly and the RG.

52 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Who knows. All I know is that they aren’t going to just keep Ryan and pay him $35M. Not paying top 8 money for a bottom 8 QB.

Matt Ryan is not even close to being a bottom 8 QB in the league. You are just looking at QB rating which he is at 24th, QB rating is a bad way to rank QB's. You do realize that Mac Jones, Daniel Jones, Jared Goff, Trevor Lawrence, Jacoby Brissett - JB, and Brian Hoyer all have a higher QB rating higher than Matt Ryan. Matt Ryan is better than all of those QB's. He is 10th in yards and that is with him missing 2 games. He has 4 come from behind wins, should be 5 but it was a tie, and he hasn't turned it over in 2 games. He is not bottom 8, you missed the boat bigtiime on that one. He is around mid pack around 16th. QB rating is so mis-leading, RG3 had a QB rating of 102.4 his rookie season, Andrew Luck was around 80. Anyone that thought RG3 was better was living on Mars. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Ryan is not even close to being a bottom 8 QB in the league. You are just looking at QB rating which he is at 24th, QB rating is a bad way to rank QB's. You do realize that Mac Jones, Daniel Jones, Jared Goff, Trevor Lawrence, Jacoby Brissett - JB, Marcus Mariota, Andy Dalton, and Brian Hoyer all have a higher QB rating higher than Matt Ryan. Matt Ryan is better than all of those QB's. He is 10th in yards and that is with him missing 2 games. He has 4 come from behind wins, should be 5 but it was a tie, and he hasn't turned it over in 2 games. He is not bottom 8, you missed the boat bigtiime on that one. He is around mid pack around 16th. QB rating is so mis-leading, RG3 had a QB rating of 102.4 his rookie season, Andrew Luck was around 80. Anyone that thought RG3 was better was living on Mars. 

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I bet we draft one and he sits behind Matt for 1 year. If Matt stinks it up, go with the rookie I say. Sam is not the answer IMO, after what I seen at New England, he looked like Painter.

Interesting! Try to imagine Ryan quarterbacking for that game. He would of fared no better and he's a 14 year vet! Your assessment imo is incorrect.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sam looked terrible. Matt would have been way better. We still may have lost but that was crapshow at New England.

With how few points pats scored and how bad their offense looked too I will almost bet Ryan would of won that game. Same with Washington and we would be 6-4-1 right now. If Ryan couldn’t play WA then foles should have played since that is what you brought him in for.

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

With how few points pats scored and how bad their offense looked too I will almost bet Ryan would of won that game. Same with Washington and we would be 6-4-1 right now. If Ryan couldn’t play WA then foles should have played since that is what you brought him in for.

We would have beat Washington no doubt.

1 hour ago, lincolndefan said:

Sounds like your describing Sam Elingher.

You forgot base talent and arm strength traits. Intangibles only get you so far, which Sam E has in spades.

The future NFL QB of the Colts for next season is NOT on this roster.

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You keep spewing this blather never getting it that our o-line stars lost the right to have either of our veteran statues playing behind them.

Run Sam run! It really was this simple!

Sam, as you clearly continue to fail to account for, HAD ALREADY passed Foles on the depth chart. HOW did you miss this? You make no sense.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ryan is going to be paid next year, just don't know how much. 

Definitely. He gets $18M regardless. All I am saying is that, if he’s here, it will be a restructured deal that keeps it as close to that $18M as possible, instead of the $35M he is slated to get. 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well the Colts with Ryan score 17 pts/game.

NE scores 21 pts/game and WAS (with Heinecke) scores 22 pts/game. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

You forgot base talent and arm strength traits. Intangibles only get you so far, which Sam E has in spades.

The future NFL QB of the Colts for next season is NOT on this roster.

Maybe / Maybe not! Sam has a strong desire to get better and i think he can. Sometimes things are better for he who wait.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sam looked terrible. Matt would have been way better. We still may have lost but that was crapshow at New England.

You have got to be kidding me! Ryan can't even get out of his own steps and you think he would have done better! LOL! This whole season is lost because of this crapshow! Thanks to Ryan, Reich and this OL! 

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Interesting! Imagine Ryan had been our quarterback in the 

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You are too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived