Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Opinion Poll - Jeff, Jim, Tanking, and options...

EastStreet

Opinion Poll - Jeff, Jim, Tanking, and options...   

72 members have voted

1. 1. Opinion - interim HC hiring of Jeff Saturday

• I'm OK or good with the choice of Jeff
    • I don't know
    • I don't like, or hate, the choice of Jeff
  2. 2. Do you believe Jeff is supportive of tanking?

• Yes, he's an accomplice to tanking
    • No, he'll try to win
  3. 3. Irsay's primary motivation (hiring Jeff)

4. 4. Your preference

• Jeff Saturday
    • Fox (D guy, doesn't really help the offense)
    • Gus (D guy, doesn't really help the offense, and creates another hole)
    • QB Coach - Milanovich (was a friend of Brady, and a Reich guy)
    • RB Coach - Scottie Montgomery
    • ST Coach - Raymond Ventrone (no Offense Coaching experience)
    • Other - please post

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/13/2022 at 09:00 PM

In short....

• I'm OK with Jeff - strange situation though... 
  • I can't see Jeff trying to lose... 
  • Jim's primary focus is evaluation
  • Preference - internal options were bad given what we needed. O is our problem. And the HC/Play-caller, and OC are gone... And no need to disrupt the D. 

There seems to be so much unknown about why this team's performance fell off a cliff. Rather than just speculate, Saturday was brought in to evaluate the Colts, and understand what's going on.

The media meltdown is pure theater. They could care less, other than to sell more clicks and ads. Ignore them.

1. I don't know
  2. No, he'll try to win
  3. Tank
  4. Fox

I think Jim already has his mind made up about Jeff Saturday and his future role with the Colts. There is no evaluation to be done.

I'm pretty sure owners often have their mind made up on who they will, or at least want to, hire for GM/HC. This isn't a real audition for Jeff just like the interview process is often a formality. I'm not sure if it's as a HC or front office role but I think Saturday will certainly have a big role with the Colts beyond 2022 and Jim has already made up his mind about that.

I voted for Fox. I think this team is what it is and whoever the HC for the rest of the way isn't likely to change the outcome of this season. To me Fox would have been the logical choice, assuming he was willing, given his experience and it would allow you to keep the remaining coordinators in those roles and not stretch the offensive staff further.

2 minutes ago, aReggie7 said:
  1. I don't know
  2. No, he'll try to win
  3. Tank
  4. Fox

I think Jim already has his mind made up about Jeff Saturday and his future role with the Colts. There is no evaluation to be done.

I'm pretty sure owners often have their mind made up on who they will, or at least want to, hire for GM/HC. This isn't a real audition for Jeff just like the interview process is often a formality. I'm not sure if it's as a HC or front office role but I think Saturday will certainly have a big role with the Colts beyond 2022 and Jim has already made up his mind about that.

I voted for Fox. I think this team is what it is and whoever the HC for the rest of the way isn't likely to change the outcome of this season. To me Fox would have been the logical choice, assuming he was willing, given his experience and it would allow you to keep the remaining coordinators in those roles and not stretch the offensive staff further.

If you really want to tank, Fox would have been the easiest choice... 

And if you truly want to tank, and want Jeff as the HC going forward..... and we go 0-8.... then Irsay will look silly hiring a 0-8 interim... 

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I believe Saturday gives us a better chance to win than any of our existing coaches.

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." Not saying the coaches we have aren't sharp football minds, but they haven't been part of a successful solution to this point in time.

If Irsay wanted to tank, I think he would have selected from within the staff. I believe that would only have had a marginal difference on the locker room and accountability. Having said this , I also believe he is already looking at next year and wants a dead-honest evaluation of his roster and staff.  
Chances are he already had plenty of information to not hesitate to make an outside hire. Despite media scrutiny, Irsay has been at this a very long time.

3 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

If Irsay wanted to tank, I think he would have selected from within the staff. I believe that would only have had a marginal difference on the locker room and accountability. Having said this , I also believe he is already looking at next year and wants a dead-honest evaluation of his roster and staff.  
Chances are he already had plenty of information to not hesitate to make an outside hire. Despite media scrutiny, Irsay has been at this a very long time.

Yup. 

IMO, most O coaches are fired... except Reggie and Parks. Not suggesting Parks is going to be an OC. He's a hard working, smart, dude, and can stay. 

29 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

In short....

• I'm OK with Jeff - strange situation though... 
  • I can't see Jeff trying to lose... 
  • Jim's primary focus is evaluation
  • Preference - internal options were bad given what we needed. O is our problem. And the HC/Play-caller, and OC are gone... And no need to disrupt the D. 

I’m of the same thoughts honestly. There were no external options available at this time so the only option was internal.

Brady being fired, don’t care what media says, that stinks of Reich trying to save his job. He tried to put the colts in a corner to where they’d have no options to replace him in the short term, Irsay called his bluff 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Interesting... 

Very early... but preference is Jeff by 80ish%.... 

Stronger than I thought...

Welp... so far... at least... Fans are not outraged like the media lol.. 

I think a lot of people people Jeff for the same reason I did. Promoting another coordinator really does nothing for the season moving forward. They are not going to make the play offs and I am not really into any of them as coaches moving forward  . They had their time in the saddle and time for new blood. Saturday is seen by many as a wild card and it doesn't really matter if he implodes because the season is lost any ways.  Most people are hoping that for the next games he can give Irsay an unbiased report as to what needs to happen to this team moving forward. That can range anywhere from simply adding a few pieces here and there if Sam works out to a major overhaul in character and talent.  I am actually kind of excited about remainder of the year.  Is the problem talent, coaching,  Ballard's team building or all of them are the issue? I think we r about to find out. Get your popcorn.

3 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Maybe ... just maybe ... we fans aren't as dumb as we look?

Media is just garbage... 

Media kissed Frank's ring for years... Kissed Irsay's and Ballard's too. Never called out obvious stuff. 

Then when the tide changed, and fans started calling media out, then media started being critical.

So now Irsay fired a guy (who about 90% fans on this board wanted gone), now the media goes full tilt to get clicks... 

And once the media figures out that fans like Jeff, or if Jeff wins this week, the media will act like they knew Jeff was always a brilliant pick... 

All good questions. 

1. My first thought was what in the hell. Maybe I'm a sucker for motivational speakers but Saturday has grown on me.

2. Jeff wants to win

3. Irsay wants to win

4. For this teams issues, Jeff is the guy

Bigger question looming, where does Ballard fit in with all this? 

48 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If you really want to tank, Fox would have been the easiest choice... 

And if you truly want to tank, and want Jeff as the HC going forward..... and we go 0-8.... then Irsay will look silly hiring a 0-8 interim... 

I agree but I don't think Irsay cares about things like that.  

10 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

All good questions. 

1. My first thought was what in the hell. Maybe I'm a sucker for motivational speakers but Saturday has grown on me.

2. Jeff wants to win

3. Irsay wants to win

I would think Irsay just wants Ballard to do his job. 

Im actually really pumped about Saturday. I see no issues with this, best case senecio is he does great and we have a future head coach. Worst case is he’s terrible and we get an early draft pick. I think he was great hire by irsay (and I’m no fan of irsay). All this race baiting nonsense the media is pushing is totally unwarranted. If this works out then this will help former players of all races get a chance at coaching. Jeff Saturday is a pioneer in this league and I’m excited to see how it goes!

34 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

All good questions. 

2. Jeff wants to win

3. Irsay wants to win

33 minutes ago, w87r said:

1. Fine with Saturday

2. Saturday will try and win

3. Evaluate

4. Saturday

shocked will ferrell GIF by Anchorman Movie

To both...

I like Jeff. But it's a weird hire, and it's a dice roll. Have no clue if Jeff is going to be good or bad... 

But the internal options were soooooo MEH to me. Especially on O. And the D options didn't help...

So why the hell not lol. 

What is interesting to me... 

So let's say we win this week...

What will the media's headline or narrative?

1. (forgets the bashing) "We all knew Jeff was the right hire"
  2. (forgets the bashing) "Irsay is a genius"
  3. A re-spin of their narrative that Jeff is a dumb choice, and Irsay is clueless... just lucked out... or LVR wants to tank more than Irsay.. 
  4. Be quiet, and hopeful they lose the next game vs Philly, so they can kick start bashing again... 

28 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You have already made it apparent you hate Irsay and wish him gone. Just curious as to why you stick around? If I disliked something as you seem I wouldn't waist my time with it. 

Many believe I hate Irsay.. but I don't. But I praise or defend him (like firing Reich, and with Jeff) when warranted, and criticize when warranted (publicly throwing a player under the bus, meddling, etc..)... 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Many believe I hate Irsay.. but I don't. But I praise or defend him (like firing Reich, and with Jeff) when warranted, and criticize when warranted (publicly throwing a player under the bus, meddling, etc..)... 

I think you approach things differently than Moosejawcolt does. You explain yourself good and bad. Moosejawcolt has nothing to bring except negativity and hatred. Big difference. 

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think you approach things differently than Moosejawcolt does. You explain yourself good and bad. Moosejawcolt has nothing to bring except negativity and hatred. Big difference. 

Got ya. He goes full tilt sometimes... 

And you replied W87r, so wasn't sure if you were talking about Moose or w87r

32 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

To both...

I like Jeff. But it's a weird hire, and it's a dice roll. Have no clue if Jeff is going to be good or bad... 

But the internal options were soooooo MEH to me. Especially on O. And the D options didn't help...

So why the hell not lol. 

What is interesting to me... 

So let's say we win this week...

What will the media's headline or narrative?

1. (forgets the bashing) "We all knew Jeff was the right hire"
  2. (forgets the bashing) "Irsay is a genius"
  3. A re-spin of their narrative that Jeff is a dumb choice, and Irsay is clueless... just lucked out... or LVR wants to tank more than Irsay.. 
  4. Be quiet, and hopeful they lose the next game vs Philly, so they can kick start bashing again... 

Yep, the defense has been as advertised for the most part. Why shake something up moving people around when it's working. Still don't understand how Strausser has a job, maybe that's the only spot I'd see Jeff as an evaluator of. The media is all click bait these days. Find more truth on this board than paying to read articles

49 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You have already made it apparent you hate Irsay and wish him gone. Just curious as to why you stick around? If I disliked something as you seem I wouldn't waist my time with it. 

Regular Season Wtf GIF by NBA

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah my bad.  It didn't come out as intended. I owe w87r an explanation. 

The Neighborhood GIF by CBS

4 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

That's pretty obvious. It's been more of a collective agreement on decision making and is Ballard willing to keep heading down that road.

Maybe Ballard shouldn't have went down the collective road as much? I don't know how much influence that Frank had on the Wentz/Ryan/Foles signings but it seems Irsay has held Frank to the fire for it.  

14 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Yep, the defense has been as advertised for the most part. Why shake something up moving people around when it's working. Still don't understand how Strausser has a job, maybe that's the only spot I'd see Jeff as an evaluator of. The media is all click bait these days. Find more truth on this board than paying to read articles

IDK. He knows FB, not just OL. He's a smart guy if you ever watch him on TV.

And he consulted for Indy (for the OL), so he knows Strausser. It's easier to keep him (at last now) then creating another hole.

Now the next 3-4, that's a different story lol... But IMO, Strausser is yes-sir type guy. So if Jeff says jumps, I'd imagine Strausser jumps. But who knows. Perhaps Jeff will look close at Kevin Mawae

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe Ballard shouldn't have went down the collective road as much? I don't know how much influence that Frank had on the Wentz/Ryan/Foles signings but it seems Irsay has held Frank to the fire for it.  

IMO, 3 cooks in the kitchen... and all the QBs have either Frank or Jim fingerprints.... 

So not sure if Ballard had an option... 

1 hour ago, WHAM-Bam ThankYou Sam said:

Im actually really pumped about Saturday. I see no issues with this, best case senecio is he does great and we have a future head coach. Worst case is he’s terrible and we get an early draft pick. I think he was great hire by irsay (and I’m no fan of irsay). All this race baiting nonsense the media is pushing is totally unwarranted. If this works out then this will help former players of all races get a chance at coaching. Jeff Saturday is a pioneer in this league and I’m excited to see how it goes!

But the game is Sunday! Oh, gotcha:D

Archived