Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Props to Jim, plus poll

EastStreet

Props to Jim, plus poll  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Multiple choice: Which of Jim's decisions (today) do you like?

• Firing the HC midseason (which is outside of his norm)
    • Bringing in Jeff Saturday from outside
    • Keeping Ballard (for now)
  2. 2. Overall, after the changes, are you more confident with Jim?

• Yes, more confident now
    • I don't know
    • No, low/no confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/09/2022 at 07:28 AM

10 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Frank needed to go, it was time. I think Jeff makes sense too.  they dont want someone in that role that was hired by CB or Frank in that spot now.

They brought in someone with no allegiance to Chris to evaluate the players, coaches and locker room vibe.  Pretty clear this wasnt CBs first choice but hes ok with it for now.  There could be a rift in the off season if Jim wants to keep him though 

Absolutely had nothing to do with the hiring of Saturday. Your distain for Chris is quite obvious but it sounded to me like Jeff and Chris have worked and consulted together recently. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Absolutely had nothing to do with the hiring of Saturday. Your distain for Chris is quite obvious but it sounded to me like Jeff and Chris have worked and consulted together recently. 

You're wrong id be fine with Chris coming back. I still think Jeff wasnt his first choice and the reason i gave is exactly why hes here 

The easy choice would have been one of the former coaches already on the roster, Jim wanted an outside voice though and someone not hired by CB

He wants someone to evaluate him too

5 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

You're wrong id be fine with Chris coming back. I still think Jeff wasnt his first choice and the reason i gave is exactly why hes here 

The easy choice would have been one of the former coaches already on the roster, Jim wanted an outside voice though and someone not hired by CB

He wants someone to evaluate him too

So, given our issues this year is primarily on the Offense, and secondary perhaps moral (guys quitting), perhaps you should consider each candidates... 

So why would one of the following be a good match for interim?....

• Fox - has 15ish NFL years of experience.. But he's a D guy. How would he eval or improve the O? He wouldn't. But he can help out with general HC admin stuff.
  • Gus - another D guy. No help with O.... And if you temp promote him, then you need a new DC. Just more holes.
  • Scott Milanovich - has OC experience, but had a previous relationship with Reich and Brady. So more a less a "Frank guy". Can he be objective things? And not NFL experience (CFL)

• Scottie Montgomery - has college OC experience, but was a WR, has most WR coaching experience, and then hired to coach RB coaches. Didn't understand the hiring (a WR guy for RBs?).. Also hired by Reich, so perhaps concerns about objectivity. He does have a few years of HC experience (small college), but the record was bad. 

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not saying Irsay is perfect, great, or etc.. But, now I have more confidence/respect in him, and the team, now. 

Props... 

• Firing Frank
    • Frank is a great guy. So pulling the plug during the season had to be hard. But it was the right call. He's just not a good play-caller... And removing play calling was an option as it's likely he's lost the players at this point... 
    • This gives us time to
      • Honestly evaluate things (staff, FO, players, scheme, etc.) with a half season left.
      • HC search...
  • Bringing in Saturday
    • Not suggesting Saturday will be perm HC, or should be.
    • But we needed an outside guy/voice, that also new Indy
    • Saturday's OL background.... likely was one of the factor (given our OL issues)
    • Jeff is respected, smart, level headed, knows the NFL, etc...
    • This is not about him play calling, or about having zero HC or coaching experience... It's about the need to evaluate the team. Identify breakage, identify keepers, and identify cuts. 

My biggest hope - I hope Jeff isn't an * kisser to Jim. Hope Jeff is painfully honest with Jim. And Jim deserves critical criticism about himself. Jeff is probably positioned well to do all. 

Horrible take.  Everything about this = we're further from winning than I thought.  

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

If this was NCAA Football, I wonder how many players would be entering the transfer portal.

Yeah it is funny but if this was going on with the Browns everyone on this forum would be laughing at them . People on here are trying to normalize it when the last 2 years have been bizarre.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, I bought one too. This is literally the only time in powerball history where it's been profitable to buy a ticket based on the cash value they give you for winning if you're the only person. I believe it's just under a billion.

Pot odds! 

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not saying Irsay is perfect, great, or etc.. But, now I have more confidence/respect in him, and the team, now. 

I don't know that I do.  I certainly haven't lost confidence and have always been more confident in him as an owner.  It my confidence was a cup of water and that cup was 3/4 full,  firing Reich might have added a little water but hiring Saturday kinda brought it back to 3/4.  But I'm open to the move, just have to see how it pans out.  Although, I will say, that hiring Saturday to be a consultant and evaluate the team going forward is the only way this makes sense.  But I also didn't think it was necessary to also make him the head coach.  Maybe I'm wrong, but certainly Jim feels differently.  The people on the local radio, or atl east the one or two I heard were saying that this was a move to get fans to buy in because it's an old Ring of Honor former Colt (nevermind that we have Reggie Wayne already coaching).  I don't think that has anything to do with it.  I just don't get why Saturday would do it.  You hear about being under qualified for a position being a red flag because you're not likely to keep the position.  Such a blemish will often cap your potential (i.e. if you were underqualified for a VP position and got fired shortly thereafter, chances are, you'll never be VP again). If it goes south for Saturday and the Colts, he may never get another shot at HC position.  It's got the potential for career suicide before it even began written all over it.

But Irsay making this move tells me taht Ballard is on notice.  I don't subscribe to the idea that Ballard's demeanor made him look uncomfortable at yesterday's presser like hes nearer the end of his tenure.  Jim's discussion on whether Reich should be fired is heat enough on its own that Ballard would know it's not a good sign for him.  He'll likely get another shot at one more HC this offseason, whether that's Saturday or someone else.  But he won't get another one if it doesn't pan out.

• This gives us time to
      • Honestly evaluate things (staff, FO, players, scheme, etc.) with a half season left.
      • HC search...

Strausser I could see getting canned for the same reason Brady and Reich did.  And there's no need to commit to him for the rest of the season.  Past success won't keep your job if the results are poor now and the OL are the single biggest problem that's put us where we're at currently. 

Some of that is on Ballard for letting Glow walk and not replacing Costanzo with a longer term solution were choices that haven't passed muster.  But that also doesn't explain why guys like Kelly and Nelson are performing so poorly. So I while Brady getting fired was an early indication Reich was next.  Reich getting fired is an indication that Ballard doesn't have multiple drafts or HCs before he'll get fired.  So he better figure it out before next season ends or he'll be on the chopping block.  But despite what I said in the paragraph above, Strausser has demonstrated enough success in previous years that it might be worth keeping him on payroll simply because we won't be an attractive option to aspiring coaches and Saturday already has enough on his plate with being a new interim HC with no OC for the next 8 or 9 weeks.  I'm also fine with keeping him and not vacating yet another role.

Team playing more passion

Locker room recovers

And that's all anybody really wants.  I don't care if we're losing tight games (I mean, I prefer winning), as long as we're competitive when we do lose.  But on locker room tension, I'm not sure how Jeff Saturday will get us there when Reich couldn't.  I guess unless he did in fact lose the locker room.  If Reich did, one has to wonder if the genesis of today's problems really does begin with how we lost the last two games and it essentially fractured the locker room going forward.  Feels like the team should have the mental fortitude to not let a couple losses impact the team's following season.  So it'd be a little weird that was the beginning of the end for Frank, but who knows.  

My biggest hope - I hope Jeff isn't an * kisser to Jim. Hope Jeff is painfully honest with Jim. And Jim deserves critical criticism about himself. Jeff is probably positioned well to do all. 

LOL you only need to watch the sideline argument between he and Peyton to instill a little confidence in Jeff not being an * kisser.  The guy with a statue at LOS is bearing down on you with intent to harm and everyone else but Jeff is sitting quietly like they just witnessed mommy slapping daddy and it takes the biggest dude on the team to calm him down.  

But yeah, Irsay does deserve criticism for this for better or worse.  And I wonder if Ballard will hire the next HC or if Jim will take the choice from Ballard.  He didn't get a choice with Pagano his first year.  McDaniels/Reich he obviously hired, and then didn't get a choice with Saturday.  Kind of unusual, really and I'm not quite sure what to make of it.  But if all teams successes or lack thereof are a reflection of hte ownership, that's doubly true when the owner is the one pulling the strings on specific personnel moves (Wentz, Reich, Saturday).  I doubt there's a GM on a hotter seat with a shorter leash.  But that's how bad it's been going back to Week 17 last year.  I suppose though, it's a good sign that Jim is doing something about it - we could be the Lions, to be sure.  But I couldn't tell you if what he's doing is the right thing.  

28 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I don't know that I do.  I certainly haven't lost confidence and have always been more confident in him as an owner.  It my confidence was a cup of water and that cup was 3/4 full,  firing Reich might have added a little water but hiring Saturday kinda brought it back to 3/4.  But I'm open to the move, just have to see how it pans out.  Although, I will say, that hiring Saturday to be a consultant and evaluate the team going forward is the only way this makes sense.  But I also didn't think it was necessary to also make him the head coach.  Maybe I'm wrong, but certainly Jim feels differently.  The people on the local radio, or atl east the one or two I heard were saying that this was a move to get fans to buy in because it's an old Ring of Honor former Colt (nevermind that we have Reggie Wayne already coaching).  I don't think that has anything to do with it.  I just don't get why Saturday would do it.  You hear about being under qualified for a position being a red flag because you're not likely to keep the position.  Such a blemish will often cap your potential (i.e. if you were underqualified for a VP position and got fired shortly thereafter, chances are, you'll never be VP again). If it goes south for Saturday and the Colts, he may never get another shot at HC position.  It's got the potential for career suicide before it even began written all over it.

But Irsay making this move tells me taht Ballard is on notice.  I don't subscribe to the idea that Ballard's demeanor made him look uncomfortable at yesterday's presser like hes nearer the end of his tenure.  Jim's discussion on whether Reich should be fired is heat enough on its own that Ballard would know it's not a good sign for him.  He'll likely get another shot at one more HC this offseason, whether that's Saturday or someone else.  But he won't get another one if it doesn't pan out.

Strausser I could see getting canned for the same reason Brady and Reich did.  And there's no need to commit to him for the rest of the season.  Past success won't keep your job if the results are poor now and the OL are the single biggest problem that's put us where we're at currently. 

Some of that is on Ballard for letting Glow walk and not replacing Costanzo with a longer term solution were choices that haven't passed muster.  But that also doesn't explain why guys like Kelly and Nelson are performing so poorly. So I while Brady getting fired was an early indication Reich was next.  Reich getting fired is an indication that Ballard doesn't have multiple drafts or HCs before he'll get fired.  So he better figure it out before next season ends or he'll be on the chopping block.  But despite what I said in the paragraph above, Strausser has demonstrated enough success in previous years that it might be worth keeping him on payroll simply because we won't be an attractive option to aspiring coaches and Saturday already has enough on his plate with being a new interim HC with no OC for the next 8 or 9 weeks.  I'm also fine with keeping him and not vacating yet another role.

And that's all anybody really wants.  I don't care if we're losing tight games (I mean, I prefer winning), as long as we're competitive when we do lose.  But on locker room tension, I'm not sure how Jeff Saturday will get us there when Reich couldn't.  I guess unless he did in fact lose the locker room.  If Reich did, one has to wonder if the genesis of today's problems really does begin with how we lost the last two games and it essentially fractured the locker room going forward.  Feels like the team should have the mental fortitude to not let a couple losses impact the team's following season.  So it'd be a little weird that was the beginning of the end for Frank, but who knows.  

LOL you only need to watch the sideline argument between he and Peyton to instill a little confidence in Jeff not being an * kisser.  The guy with a statue at LOS is bearing down on you with intent to harm and everyone else but Jeff is sitting quietly like they just witnessed mommy slapping daddy and it takes the biggest dude on the team to calm him down.  

But yeah, Irsay does deserve criticism for this for better or worse.  And I wonder if Ballard will hire the next HC or if Jim will take the choice from Ballard.  He didn't get a choice with Pagano his first year.  McDaniels/Reich he obviously hired, and then didn't get a choice with Saturday.  Kind of unusual, really and I'm not quite sure what to make of it.  But if all teams successes or lack thereof are a reflection of hte ownership, that's doubly true when the owner is the one pulling the strings on specific personnel moves (Wentz, Reich, Saturday).  I doubt there's a GM on a hotter seat with a shorter leash.  But that's how bad it's been going back to Week 17 last year.  I suppose though, it's a good sign that Jim is doing something about it - we could be the Lions, to be sure.  But I couldn't tell you if what he's doing is the right thing.  

Agree with most.

But I like both moves. So more water for me.

And this situation is different (with Jeff). I think he will be honest too, but being honest and Peyton (when Jeff was entrenched and a pro bowl guy), is different when direct-ish reporting to Irsay, and auditioning. 

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Irsay keeps hanging on to the past instead of moving forward. He and Ballard were a joke last night.

I don't think any of them are a joke. Irsay has been one of the best owners of all-time - the record doesn't lie. Ballard has his flaws but after Luck retired it set us back 5 years easily. Jeff is just Jeff, excited like it is Christmas.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think any of them are a joke. Irsay has been one of the best owners of all-time - the record doesn't lie. Ballard has his flaws but after Luck retired it set us back 5 years easily. Jeff is just Jeff, excited like it is Christmas.

Irsay is a embarrassment. He is also getting slammed today by the local media. People within the building are shocked and like WTH is this organization doing according to Keefer. I suggest listening to his podcast that just went up. I am starting to question Irsays mental health.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Irsay is a embarrassment. He is also getting slammed today by the local media. People within the building are shocked and like WTH is this organization doing according to Keefer. I suggest listening to his podcast that just went up.

No need, Irsay is far from an embarrassment. His track record is great. He is trying to get it right and just wants to win. 

44 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Although, I will say, that hiring Saturday to be a consultant and evaluate the team going forward is the only way this makes sense.  But I also didn't think it was necessary to also make him the head coach.  Maybe I'm wrong, but certainly Jim feels differently

If he was evaluating everything, in a position as not the HC, he would be seen as an outsider.  You know, the guy from Auditing shows up to see what's going on...everybody knows how to spin things when he's looking.  As HC, they have to listen to his buy in as being the keys to winning.  If they don't conform or fake it, he'll see it everyday.

44 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Jim's discussion on whether Reich should be fired is heat enough on its own that Ballard would know it's not a good sign for him. 

I thought it was interesting that Jim said that he never has thought about firing Ballard, and then went on to praise him as a great GM.  Later, he praised Reich as a great/good HC but that it was just time to do it

His praise of Reich, the guy he just fired, sort of undermined his own praise of Ballard, the guy he said he wouldn't fire.  I guess praise from JIm is no indication of job security...or maybe its the kiss of eventual death. lol.   

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If he was evaluating everything, in a position as not the HC, he would be seen as an outsider.  You know, the guy from Auditing shows up to see what's going on...everybody knows how to spin things when he's looking.  As HC, they have to listen to his buy in as being the keys to winning.  If they don't conform or fake it, he'll see it everyday.

That is a reasonable take, I suppose.  It makes sense when you put it that way, anyway.

I thought it was interesting that Jim said that he never has thought about firing Ballard, and then went on to praise him as a great GM.  Later, he praised Reich as a great/good HC but that it was just time to do it

His praise of Reich, the guy he just fired, sort of undermined his own praise of Ballard, the guy he said he wouldn't.  I guess praise from JIm is no indication of job security...or maybe its the kiss of eventual death. lol.   

Couldn't agree more.  I agreed with Jake Query on 1075 The Fan morning show when he thought Irsay underminded himself again when he said "records don't matter, superbowls do" at one point in time (not the press conference I believe) and then yesterday touting us as a one of the most winningest franchises with only 1 playoff win in the past 5 years.

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

That is a reasonable take, I suppose.  It makes sense when you put it that way, anyway.

Couldn't agree more.  I agreed with Jake Query on 1075 The Fan morning show when he thought Irsay underminded himself again when he said "records don't matter, superbowls do" at one point in time (not the press conference I believe) and then yesterday touting us as a one of the most winningest franchises with only 1 playoff win in the past 5 years.

I heard it this morning too. A lot gets taken out of context though. I think Irsay knows SB wins mean more but he just wanted emphasize all the other wins we have had because the team is getting bashed by the fans and media at an alarming rate. Basically, Irsay is saying at least 28 other franchises wish they were in our shoes since 1999. He isn't the best with words. He could have worded it better but he is frustrated like all of us are.

10 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Keefer said sources in the building were stunned, but then says he hasn't talked to any players???

Is he referring to the janitor?

I've heard like 20 media dudes say the exact thing... wonder if it is the same janitor? lol

But I do agree, the team/players were unhappy with the Ryan benching... So meaning the players were unhappy with Irsay... 

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Keefer said sources in the building were stunned, but then says he hasn't talked to any players???

Is he referring to the janitor?

I've heard like 20 media dudes say the exact thing... wonder if it is the same janitor? lol

But I do agree, the team/players were unhappy with the Ryan benching... So meaning the players were unhappy with Irsay... 

christopher walken dancing GIF- did you hear, Jeff is our new head coach.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I heard it this morning too. A lot gets taken out of context though. I think Irsay knows SB wins mean more but he just wanted emphasize all the other wins we have had because the team is getting bashed by the fans and media at an alarming rate. Basically, Irsay is saying at least 28 other franchises wish they were in our shoes since 1999. He isn't the best with words. He could have worded it better but he is frustrated like all of us are.

Oh yeah, it was taken a bit out of context and it's not exactly like neither statements are untrue.  And while they appear to undermine one another, you don't get multiple super bowl wins without being a winning franchise. I prefer the morning show to Dakitch and JMV, but sometimes Query beats on a dead horse cherry picking soundbites.  The one before this one was hitting on the "all chips in" Irsay remark multiple times in a show over multiple shows in multiple weeks.  "Jake, dude, we get it.  There's plenty of bad to talk on, let's let that comment die already."  Other than that, really think he's a good show host.

8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Oh yeah, it was taken a bit out of context and it's not exactly like neither statements are untrue.  And while they appear to undermine one another, you don't get multiple super bowl wins without being a winning franchise. I prefer the morning show to Dakitch and JMV, but sometimes Query beats on a dead horse cherry picking soundbites.  The one before this one was hitting on the "all chips in" Irsay remark multiple times in a show over multiple shows in multiple weeks.  "Jake, dude, we get it.  There's plenty of bad to talk on, let's let that comment die already."  Other than that, really think he's a good show host.

Jake just beats a dead horse over and over. Bowen is just young and just lets Jake rant.  I like JMV, don't care for Dakich.

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Basically, Irsay is saying at least 28 other franchises wish they were in our shoes since 1999. He isn't the best with words.

Yeah, but everybody knew he was cherry picking the timeline that best suited what he wanted to say.  

We won then because of Manning and then Luck, both playing in the AFC South.  Present situation is not the same.  Unless we tank and get the first pick in the draft and Stroud or Levis.

Yeah, but everybody knew he was cherry picking the timeline that best suited what he wanted to say.  

We won then because of Manning and then Luck, both playing in the AFC South.  Present situation is not the same.  Unless we tank and get the first pick in the draft and Stroud or Levis.

Rivers in 2020 says hold my beer = 11-5 R And R Vacation GIF

8 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Every fan of an AFC team not Indy is saying as long as the Colts keep Irsay they arent winning are smiling right now.  

This is like Jim's alcohol drug problem.  You don't get better until you admit you've hit rock bottom. 

Jim has never had to negotiate these conditions as an owner.  His first task as owner was to hire Bill Polian, who drafted PM.   Easy vision ahead.   The next time he hired a GM, Luck was sitting there to take.  Easy vision ahead.  When he fired RG and hired CB, he still had his franchise QB.  The vision forward was clear each time he made a move.  

Now the future is cloudy as heck.  The path unclear (unless he's passively tanking for the number 1 pick)

He looks like a guy floundering to find what to do next...never having this kind of a problem in all of his years as an owner. 

I wonder where we rank in the past 10 years, or 5...or 30?.   He went back to 2000 to grab as many good years as he could...but not back too far.

Going back to 1999 we are 4th in wins. Since that time only the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Giants, and Bucs have more SB wins. We are tied for 6th there with other teams with 1 SB win. The teams I named with SB wins since 1999 only have 2 SB wins except the Pats who have 6.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Going back to 1999 we are 4th in wins. Since that time only the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Giants, and Bucs have more SB wins. We are tied for 6th there with other teams with 1 SB win. The teams I named with SB wins since 1999 only have 2 SB wins except the Pats who have 6.

I guess since that's about the time he became owner, I suppose that's where his timeline starts in his mind.

22 hours ago, EastStreet said:

So, given our issues this year is primarily on the Offense, and secondary perhaps moral (guys quitting), perhaps you should consider each candidates... 

So why would one of the following be a good match for interim?....

• Fox - has 15ish NFL years of experience.. But he's a D guy. How would he eval or improve the O? He wouldn't. But he can help out with general HC admin stuff.
  • Gus - another D guy. No help with O.... And if you temp promote him, then you need a new DC. Just more holes.
  • Scott Milanovich - has OC experience, but had a previous relationship with Reich and Brady. So more a less a "Frank guy". Can he be objective things? And not NFL experience (CFL)

• Scottie Montgomery - has college OC experience, but was a WR, has most WR coaching experience, and then hired to coach RB coaches. Didn't understand the hiring (a WR guy for RBs?).. Also hired by Reich, so perhaps concerns about objectivity. He does have a few years of HC experience (small college), but the record was bad. 

I think Fox, Bradly and Milanovich were the easy choices.  I dont know what they would have fixed but they would have gotten through the next couple months without a bunch of controversy. 

Its really not clear what if anything Jeff is going to fix either.  He will probably be less biased than them when reporting to Jim and maybe better at fixing the line.  Idk if coaching is really the problem with Nelson and Kelly in the first place, or what they are going to do for OC and play calling now

On 11/7/2022 at 10:01 PM, EastStreet said:

Props... 

• Firing Frank
    • Frank is a great guy. So pulling the plug during the season had to be hard. But it was the right call. He's just not a good play-caller... And removing play calling was an option as it's likely he's lost the players at this point... 
    • This gives us time to
      • HC search...
  • Bringing in Saturday
    • Not suggesting Saturday will be perm HC, or should be.
    • But we needed an outside guy/voice, that also new Indy
    • Saturday's OL background.... likely was one of the factor (given our OL issues)
    • Jeff is respected, smart, level headed, knows the NFL, etc...
    • This is not about him play calling, or about having zero HC or coaching experience... It's about the need to evaluate the team. Identify breakage, identify keepers, and identify cuts. 

I didn't get a chance to vote on this poll.......but I voted yesterday in midterms. Lol

Lets pretend I voted but didn't count because of a Hanging chad.......

Glad Irsay Fired HC

No, to having confidence in irsay. 

On 11/8/2022 at 5:18 AM, comsec1 said:

This needed to be done. frank who we all think is a good guy just was not in control of this team and his play calling was really bad. You have to make the head coach accountable after so many changes and still the team was playing awful.

Now lets remove the bad pick at QB by Frank (Sam) and put in Foles or if healthy Matt Ryan. At least those two QB's belong on an NFL field and give the colts a chance to win. 

Although maybe there is a plan to suck for a QB? I would say so if they leave in Sam as he is obviously not ready for the NFL nor he may never be.

I really like Saturday as a player, and he was a good analyst on ESPN. We will see if he can win the head coach job by season end. 

All the team reporters have said that it was Irsay that pushed to make Sam the QB. 

Archived