Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Props to Jim, plus poll

EastStreet

Props to Jim, plus poll  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Multiple choice: Which of Jim's decisions (today) do you like?

• Firing the HC midseason (which is outside of his norm)
    • Bringing in Jeff Saturday from outside
    • Keeping Ballard (for now)
  2. 2. Overall, after the changes, are you more confident with Jim?

• Yes, more confident now
    • I don't know
    • No, low/no confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/09/2022 at 07:28 AM

Not saying Irsay is perfect, great, or etc.. But, now I have more confidence/respect in him, and the team, now. 

Props... 

• Firing Frank
    • Frank is a great guy. So pulling the plug during the season had to be hard. But it was the right call. He's just not a good play-caller... And removing play calling was an option as it's likely he's lost the players at this point... 
    • This gives us time to
      • Honestly evaluate things (staff, FO, players, scheme, etc.) with a half season left.
      • HC search...
  • Bringing in Saturday
    • Not suggesting Saturday will be perm HC, or should be.
    • But we needed an outside guy/voice, that also new Indy
    • Saturday's OL background.... likely was one of the factor (given our OL issues)
    • Jeff is respected, smart, level headed, knows the NFL, etc...
    • This is not about him play calling, or about having zero HC or coaching experience... It's about the need to evaluate the team. Identify breakage, identify keepers, and identify cuts. 

My biggest hope - I hope Jeff isn't an * kisser to Jim. Hope Jeff is painfully honest with Jim. And Jim deserves critical criticism about himself. Jeff is probably positioned well to do all. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts above, but what are your thoughts?

And predictions... My are...

• Strausser gone within 3 weeks
  • OL playing more passion. And more changes (lineup)
  • Team playing more passion
  • Locker room recovers
  • A few cuts/waives/trades identified. Too bad we are past the trade deadline... 

I have seen multiple comments about how Frank is a very nice guy and a good man. I believe that is true; I also believe that there needs to be some players "*es kicked" because of their lack of preparation and effort. Yes OL, I'm talking about you! I don't believe that "* kicking" is something Frank can do. I wish him luck in his future endeavors.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

It’s not what you know, it’s who you know. That’s why Saturday got the job, anyone saying otherwise isn’t being objective, IMO. I expect Saturday to play nice with Jim Irsay, nothing more, nothing less.

Disagree. My opinion/detail above, but this isn't about Jeff "playing nice", or about coaching. It's about evaluation over the 2H of the season. 

1st off.  You should change your name to POLLstreet. HA

Anyway.   Tough poll   Jim did what he had to do.   Timing is tough and I worry about the locker room as much with this as I did with the Ryan benching 

I like Jeff.   Don't think he is long term, just there to stir the % and hope for soup 

Interesting take. If Saturday is an honest man, then maybe bringing him in is a good idea. Use him like the consultant he is. A management consultant so to speak. Let him work with the team for 8 games, note what works, what doesn't and then make recommendations to Irsay and maybe Ballard as to what needs to be done, who needs to stay, who goes, etc. Probably not the coach of the future but may be instrumental in determining who is.

I did vote that I like firing the HC midseason. Not because I take joy in seeing Reich lose his job but I did think it was the right move.

IDK about being more confident in Jim. I think we saw him cling to Grigson/Pagano too long and now with Ballard if he is retained after this year. 

I get that sometimes having someone from outside the organization can be valuable and is the right move. I think the only way that works here is, as you said EastStreet, if Jeff is brutally honest with Jim. I suspect Jeff might be too nice for that. Plus, he seems interested in being the HC long-term which makes me suspect he is more likely to sugar coat things.

I don't think the current situation of the Colts is all that complicated though.

• We have had a GM here for 6 years and a HC here for 5.
  • The top of the roster is not good enough specifically at the most impactful positions.
  • The Ballard/Reich failed to get some of the most important decisions right.
  • On top of that I think Ballard has been negligent in addressing OL this year and skill position throughout his tenure.
  • Reich has had his share of coaching blunders and seems like he lost the team this year.
  • So I think it was time for a new HC. (and is for GM too)

5 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

1st off.  You should change your name to POLLstreet. HA

Anyway.   Tough poll   Jim did what he had to do.   Timing is tough and I worry about the locker room as much with this as I did with the Ryan benching 

I like Jeff.   Don't think he is long term, just there to stir the % and hope for soup 

I prefer polls...  quantifies things....

Polls paint reality, vs discussion at times. Many are willing to vote, but don't care to debate/post on topics. 

For instance... we've had a few loud Frank supporters. And polls painted a totally different picture. 

3 minutes ago, FRW said:

Interesting take. If Saturday is an honest man, then maybe bringing him in is a good idea. Use him like the consultant he is. A management consultant so to speak. Let him work with the team for 8 games, note what works, what doesn't and then make recommendations to Irsay and maybe Ballard as to what needs to be done, who needs to stay, who goes, etc. Probably not the coach of the future but may be instrumental in determining who is.

IMO, Jeff is seen as honest, is frank (sorry for the word usage), and is smart. 

I don't care about his Ws/Ls... I care that he thoroughly evaluates things, and provides good feedback to Irsay. 

I'm concerned about long term success, and don't care about this season. 

I voted firing reich midseason because props to Jim doing something he has never done, that honestly needed to be done.

I also voted that I have less faith in Jim now because it just seems like he is going off the rails lately.

Hiring his friend who never coached higher than HS as a interim HC then going out and saying he is plenty qualified and the right man for the job is beyond ridiculous to me.

Also leading up to this the meddling with the QB position, Wentz and Ryan. Blasting Wentz publically about the vaccine thing. Making the comments about Snyder.

Quite few people here have alluded that he is becoming like his dad, I think its becoming a problem and doesn't bode well for the future. Just my opinions though.

Hiring Saturday and More Confidence (going forward).

The dynamics of this...elevating Sam weeks ago....firing Brady...Orlovsky saying that Saturday was picking his brain about scheme etc.  tells me that Irsay had a plan to replace Frank with Saturday for a while now.   Just waiting for the right time.  I'm always good with an upgrade, because Frank wasn't getting it done with this roster on offense.  Its not like he fired Frank without an immediate plan, as many have suggested he should.

Irsay is doing an evaluation of the org chart rather than making impetuous decisons...as the way I see it now..   

And, I feel good about going with a guy who is smart rather than experienced over the same ol retreads or guys with the same assistant coaching resume's.  He could have easily put an experienced HC in with Gus or Fox, but chose different blood. 

But the guy is getting to be one crazy old coot.

32 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not saying Irsay is perfect, great, or etc.. But, now I have more confidence/respect in him, and the team, now. 

Props... 

• Firing Frank
    • Frank is a great guy. So pulling the plug during the season had to be hard. But it was the right call. He's just not a good play-caller... And removing play calling was an option as it's likely he's lost the players at this point... 
    • This gives us time to
      • Honestly evaluate things (staff, FO, players, scheme, etc.) with a half season left.
      • HC search...
  • Bringing in Saturday
    • Not suggesting Saturday will be perm HC, or should be.
    • But we needed an outside guy/voice, that also new Indy
    • Saturday's OL background.... likely was one of the factor (given our OL issues)
    • Jeff is respected, smart, level headed, knows the NFL, etc...
    • This is not about him play calling, or about having zero HC or coaching experience... It's about the need to evaluate the team. Identify breakage, identify keepers, and identify cuts. 

My biggest hope - I hope Jeff isn't an * kisser to Jim. Hope Jeff is painfully honest with Jim. And Jim deserves critical criticism about himself. Jeff is probably positioned well to do all. 

Maybe they hired the wrong ex Olinemen? Lol

13 minutes ago, aReggie7 said:

I did vote that I like firing the HC midseason. Not because I take joy in seeing Reich lose his job but I did think it was the right move.

IDK about being more confident in Jim. I think we saw him cling to Grigson/Pagano too long and now with Ballard if he is retained after this year. 

I get that sometimes having someone from outside the organization can be valuable and is the right move. I think the only way that works here is, as you said EastStreet, if Jeff is brutally honest with Jim. I suspect Jeff might be too nice for that. Plus, he seems interested in being the HC long-term which makes me suspect he is more likely to sugar coat things.

I don't think the current situation of the Colts is all that complicated though.

• We have had a GM here for 6 years and a HC here for 5.
  • The top of the roster is not good enough specifically at the most impactful positions.
  • The Ballard/Reich failed to get some of the most important decisions right.
  • On top of that I think Ballard has been negligent in addressing OL this year and skill position throughout his tenure.
  • Reich has had his share of coaching blunders and seems like he lost the team this year.
  • So I think it was time for a new HC. (and is for GM too)

Yup, can't argue with over the post. But we agree on some things, and see some things differently. 

I don't see Jeff as too nice. He's nice on the TV, but he was tough and demanding as a player. And if he auditioning for a long term job, he will need to be 100% honest. He won't want to an inherit a mess. But I do believe the roster is better than we see (performance). 

And you and I disagree on the Irsay/Ballard/Reich relationship. We don't know, both we are guessing. Neither of us know who pushing certain decisions. I see it as a 3 way partnership with 3 cooks in the kitchen. And QB situation (all 5 years) certainly has both Reich and Irsay fingerprints. 

Gonna be interesting for sure... fun times lol. At least we made a move. 

34 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

My thoughts above, but what are your thoughts?

And predictions... My are...

• Strausser gone within 3 weeks
  • OL playing more passion. And more changes (lineup)
  • Team playing more passion
  • Locker room recovers
  • A few cuts/waives/trades identified. Too bad we are past the trade deadline... 

Yes,  JS will be in evaluating mode.  He's already said that Raimann will start.  Look for Fries too.  I think he'll fire Strausser too, but he's also going to see if there is an attitude/work problem with the three expensive guys...they are not off the hook.  Possibly a poor evaluation for RKelly coming for the offseason.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Yes,  JS will be in evaluating mode.  He's already said that Raimann will start.  Look for Fries too.  I think he'll fire Strausser too, but he's also going to see if there is an attitude/work problem with the three expensive guys...they are not off the hook.  Possibly a poor evaluation for RKelly coming for the offseason.

RK is probably more nervous than any player on the team right now 

13 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I voted firing reich midseason because props to Jim doing something he has never done, that honestly needed to be done.

I also voted that I have less faith in Jim now because it just seems like he is going off the rails lately.

Hiring his friend who never coached higher than HS as a interim HC then going out and saying he is plenty qualified and the right man for the job is beyond ridiculous to me.

Also leading up to this the meddling with the QB position, Wentz and Ryan. Blasting Wentz publically about the vaccine thing. Making the comments about Snyder.

Quite few people here have alluded that he is becoming like his dad, I think its becoming a problem and doesn't bode well for the future. Just my opinions though.

I hope he learned lol..... I'm hoping he'll become more stoic, and more refined. Not saying he can't be passion. Just hope he stops seeking the spotlight. No more public player bashing, and holds his tongue about other owners. Neither helps. Keep things internal, and focus on Indy. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I hope he learned lol..... I'm hoping he'll become more stoic, and more refined. Not saying he can't be passion. Just hope he stops seeking the spotlight. No more public player bashing, and holds his tongue about other owners. Neither helps. Keep things internal, and focus on Indy. 

He's what like pushing 80? He won't change and it will have to be a family intervention from his daughters to get him out of the spot light. I dislike Jerry Jones but man Irsay is bordering on a severe case of  Jonesism  lol.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

IMO, he'll quickly figure that Raimann lacks strength, and needs more time. 

But we'll see. 

His first move will be to evaluate the OL, including coaching. I won't be surprised to see multiple shuffles in the next 4-6 weeks, similar to DeGug's first 5-6 weeks. If he can coach Raimann up, that would be great. But, my guess is he needs more S&C. 

My gut says he'll be fine with Q and Braden, given both of their backgrounds and demeanor. RKelly will be interesting. 

1 minute ago, jonjon said:

Flawed poll. It requires me to choose one of the first three options in question 1, none of which I want to. And add "low confidence" in Irsay in there.

By their nature, polls are limiting.  I only answer a few myself when the choices reflect my opinion.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

IMO, he'll quickly figure that Raimann lacks strength, and needs more time. 

But we'll see. 

Yeah, nobody thought BR would be ready by now...so you sign Pryor for one year and then make that decision this spring.  But that plan blew up pretty quickly,

16 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He's what like pushing 80? He won't change and it will have to be a family intervention from his daughters to get him out of the spot light. I dislike Jerry Jones but man Irsay is bordering on a severe case of  Jonesism  lol.

lol.. Jim is 63, not 80

Not saying 60+ guys can totally change, but they can learn to stop doing things that look bad. 

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, nobody thought BR would be ready by now...so you sign Pryor for one year and then make that decision this spring.  But that plan blew up pretty quickly,

Braden was was was much stronger. He was incredibly strong even back in HS... like benching 500+ lbs... 

And his RAS 35 reps... probably could do more lol... Pinter couldn't do but 24

45 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

80?

Try 63.    So close.     :peek:

And while the press conference was up and down... even weird at times...

Loved....  

• Jim drop kicked coaches that need analytics card... Love analytics, but it's a tool, and you have to feel for the situation... 
  • Criticized the media... like "does anyone hold you guys accountable" lol... And while I agree (media sucks), but Jim gets softballs 99% of the time... 

37 minutes ago, WHAM-Bam ThankYou Sam said:

Good lord he looks rough for 63!!! 

I think the effects of the Colts' of the 80s and 90's aged him a bit. 

I can't ever imagine walking in anybody else's shoes. Nor would i wish for anybody else to have had to walk in mine.  That being said I'd walk better in my shoes if i had that mans money. 

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Lol. My bad. My point I that at 63, Jim is Jim. No changing anyone at that age. 

Yes….   As someone who is 65, I think that’s mostly fair.    I’d only offer this exception to that rule.   Jim has a long history with drugs and alcohol, and while I think he’s been clean and sober for a while now (5 years ?) I think people like that are often striving to do better, to be better.  
So I think it’s possible he could still evolve more in his future. 

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes….   As someone who is 65, I think that’s mostly fair.    I’d only offer this exception to that rule.   Jim has a long history with drugs and alcohol, and while I think he’s been clean and sober for a while now (5 years ?) I think people like that are often striving to do better, to be better.  
So I think it’s possible he could still evolve more in his future. 

I am thinking in terms of values and what are his beliefs. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

some on the oline will be gone jeff will fix ballards mistakes

Archived