Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Props to Jim, plus poll

EastStreet

Props to Jim, plus poll  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Multiple choice: Which of Jim's decisions (today) do you like?

• Firing the HC midseason (which is outside of his norm)
    • Bringing in Jeff Saturday from outside
    • Keeping Ballard (for now)
  2. 2. Overall, after the changes, are you more confident with Jim?

• Yes, more confident now
    • I don't know
    • No, low/no confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/09/2022 at 07:28 AM

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

And while the press conference was up and down... even weird at times...

Loved....  

• Jim drop kicked coaches that need analytics card... Love analytics, but it's a tool, and you have to feel for the situation... 
  • Criticized the media... like "does anyone hold you guys accountable" lol... And while I agree (media sucks), but Jim gets softballs 99% of the time... 

yep he said when coaches get scared or lost, they run to the analytics card. I thought that was quite interesting 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

That rock and roll life lol

Lots of drugs and alcohol took their toll on Jim.

12 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

This looks like Baltimore late 70’s early 1980’s. Ballard looks like Ernie Accorsi explaining why they traded Elway for an offensive tackle . This is like replacing Ted Marchibroda with GM Joe Thomas. Can’t believe what I’m seeing. 

You compare Reich to Marchibroda?

1 minute ago, The Old Crow said:

No, just the situation. I never thought I would see something like this again. 

I wasn't a fan back then so I don't know the situation.  I hope this works out.  

Frank needed to go, so that is a plus.

Saturday was a surprise.   He is well liked by Colts fans, so a good PR move if anything.  

This team needs to continue to lose so that they can draft a good young QB without having to give up lots of picks.  

Just now, Myles said:

I wasn't a fan back then so I don't know the situation.  I hope this works out.  

Frank needed to go, so that is a plus.

Saturday was a surprise.   He is well liked by Colts fans, so a good PR move if anything.  

This team needs to continue to lose so that they can draft a good young QB without having to give up lots of picks.  

The problem is the optics. What free agents will want to come in after running off two QB’s ? Then a no experience coach is hired who was a consultant to the owner. You guys got lucky twice in the draft with Manning and Luck, but that always doesn’t happen. We’ve been there like you guys with the Ravens, where we went from 1996 to 2008 with vagabond quarterbacks. It’s not easy. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

The problem is the optics. What free agents will want to come in after running off two QB’s ? Then a no experience coach is hired who was a consultant to the owner. You guys got lucky twice in the draft with Manning and Luck, but that always doesn’t happen. We’ve been there like you guys with the Ravens, where we went from 1996 to 2008 with vagabond quarterbacks. It’s not easy. 

I don't really players care much when they sign somewhere.   A winning team is preferred of course, but the Colts were a losing team no matter what Irsay did.  

5 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Well, sir.  You are on it.  That said, at least something is being done.  The entire organization seemed to be struggling in the deep end of a muddy pool.  JS will be, hopefully, a much needed breath of fresh air.  I hope Ballard and he come together.  If not, a new GM will be running the 2023 draft.  Onward and upward.

43 minutes ago, csmopar said:

yep he said when coaches get scared or lost, they run to the analytics card. I thought that was quite interesting 

Yup. I'm betting that drove Jim crazy (from Frank). But sure, you should have the analytics card for reference, but you consider/feel  the situation, and especially how the team is playing. And... you have to call the right play... for instance if you cards says go if 4th and 1 i the 2Q, great... But is your OL playing good. And if the iOL sucks so far, do you really want to run up the gut with Hines?

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't really players care much when they sign somewhere.   A winning team is preferred of course, but the Colts were a losing team no matter what Irsay did.  

I think the main issue is the meddling. His greatest success was turning it over to an old pro like Polian. I’m not just picking on Jim, his dad meddled , and I’ve watched the debacle of the Baltimore Orioles with meddling owner Angelo’s. It’s generally not a recipe for success historically 

2 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Well, sir.  You are on it.  That said, at least something is being done.  The entire organization seemed to be struggling in the deep end of a muddy pool.  JS will be, hopefully, a much needed breath of fresh air.  I hope Ballard and he come together.  If not, a new GM will be running the 2023 draft.  Onward and upward.

In fairness , Ballard has made some nice draft picks. I get getting rid of Frank, but a no experience friend of the owner coach is an odd choice. Jeff is a great guy, and was a great center, but a weird choice for HC. 
The front office caught a bad break with Luck, but you have to take a step back and take a measured approach. Look at Seattle without Wilson. I think you guys have a pretty good defense. Get a decent game manager QB, and roll with them while you try to get someone in the draft. You just can’t keep panicking.

Like frank as a person and HC, but he did himself in due to his reluctance to give up playcalling.  Hires a guy as an OC who has never called plays.  He might’ve been able to keep his job if he handed off play calling duties and just showed he can coach the team (which I think he could do), but he couldn’t because there was no one to pass those duties off to.

I agree with the firing and I honestly don’t care who coaches this team for the rest of the season.  Atp, we are evaluating the team. From the coaches to the players.  I think Jeff is a good guy for that and I think that’s why Jim brought him in to do so.  He trusts Jeff and Jeff seems like the type of person who doesn’t care about hurting feelings.  

my prediction, we find our hc this upcoming off season and Jeff gets moved to OL coach.

as far as my confidence in jim, idk.  mostly due to his confidence in Ballard.  He says ballard has done a great job but are they having those conversations about the line and also our lack of free agency activity?  Idk.  We’ll see.

Was impressed with the balls on Irsay. For both firing Reich when he needed to be before losing the locker room fully, and hiring Saturday, which no one outside the inner circle saw coming. Was out of left field, but needed.

What I wasn't impressed with was his speech. The first part made me laugh with the sausages and stuff, but after that, he made a fool of himself talking about how Ballard was a winner and how he didn't care about the media's opinions. Ballard was even worse with the media with the comment about not being able to get O-Lineman because he was pressured to get WRs.

Saturday sounded like the biggest leader of the three, and the only one I can take serious.

3 minutes ago, Moe said:

My confidence in this Powerball system is growing thin I could be a billionaire now don’t even know it.

Yeah, I bought one too. This is literally the only time in powerball history where it's been profitable to buy a ticket based on the cash value they give you for winning if you're the only person. I believe it's just under a billion.

29 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

You've got a pretty decent one now!   :thmup:

I think Colts fans, myself included, got very spoiled with Peyton Manning being here and then Andrew Luck coming.   Indy is one of my hometowns.  Cheap place to live, safe (suburbs, anyway), good schools.  However, what FA QB would move here after what happened with Wentz and Ryan....not absolving them of everything but a huge part is O-line and playcalling.  

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IMO, he'll quickly figure that Raimann lacks strength, and needs more time. 

But we'll see. 

His first move will be to evaluate the OL, including coaching. I won't be surprised to see multiple shuffles in the next 4-6 weeks, similar to DeGug's first 5-6 weeks. If he can coach Raimann up, that would be great. But, my guess is he needs more S&C. 

My gut says he'll be fine with Q and Braden, given both of their backgrounds and demeanor. RKelly will be interesting. 

While taking a Sunday morning drive i was thinking what our line needed was Saturday coming in to evaluate the best blocking scheme to use and to lead a recharge of enthusiasm.

I believe he can get the best out of Kelly, whatever that is.

Saturday was able to set and anchor with the best of them.

He was quite amazing at it really. I recall him describing it as "dropping his hips" at just the right time. Raimann and Saturday are going to become very close.

JMO that he is going to call out our position "Pittman/Granson" players on their crap blocking.

I liked irsays response when it came to hiring someone new who wasn’t apart of the good ole boys club the NFL. The lack of coaching is meh for me. The HC isn’t supposed to call plays, he’s a leader of men with SOME game planning and film study for each opponent, runs practices, and then he manages games, like time management, and over sees things. 

The OC, DC, and STs coach all manage their units/call plays. 

im curious to see how he does not being a part of the good ole boys club. It isn’t easy to get coaching opportunities in the NFL without prior experience coaching in the NFL. you see a lot of guys get recycled in and out of positions and it’s nice to see someone get the job from outside of the box. May not work. But this season wasn’t going anywhere so I don’t know why anyone would have a problem with it….? 

26 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Was impressed with the balls on Irsay. For both firing Reich when he needed to be before losing the locker room fully, and hiring Saturday, which no one outside the inner circle saw coming. Was out of left field, but needed.

What I wasn't impressed with was his speech. The first part made me laugh with the sausages and stuff, but after that, he made a fool of himself talking about how Ballard was a winner and how he didn't care about the media's opinions. Ballard was even worse with the media with the comment about not being able to get O-Lineman because he was pressured to get WRs.

Saturday sounded like the biggest leader of the three, and the only one I can take serious.

i don't think it took "balls" for an owner to fire a coach as bad as Reich has been.   Maybe it took "balls" to wait so long.

8 hours ago, strt182 said:

I will say this about Jeff. I have faith that he will put the best guys on the field at their best position .

Next year maybe.  This year, I bet he puts Raimann in at LT, Fries or Pinter in at RG, and Sam at QB for the remainder of the year unless they are simply horrible. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries Pinter at C and either benches RK or puts him at RG.

Not saying that the shuffle wouldn't result in having the best players at the best positions, but I think he's placing a priority on evaluating the players and will not sacrifice evaluations to win football games this season.

As far as Jimmy's comments about coaches and analytics...if he fired Reich for that reason, I support it fully.  I always had the sense that Reich relied on analytics to make decisions more than intuition and situational awareness.   Maybe that's what stuck Irsay too.

12 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Saturday was able to set and anchor with the best of them.

He was quite amazing at it really. I recall him describing it as "dropping his hips" at just the right time. Raimann and Saturday are going to become very close.

Yup. Great technique. He was a small guy, and almost never got a scholarship, and then almost never got a NFL job lol.

He started at G for us, but moved to C after a few years. And he improved until he made the pro bowl. Took several years, but kept working hard!!! It would be great if he helped some of the rooks (and vets). 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

That was a shot at Reich. He also took a shot at Luck by saying he's never had a 29-year-old QB retire on him in his prime (actually loved that).

Honestly I don’t have much confidence in Irsay from the presser. He just kept saying “you know” over and over and talking in metaphors and circles. This doesn’t make me lose confidence in him, just that it was hard to listen to and gain any substance. I applaud him firing Reich, have my doubts about Saturday but as I predominantly do, will take a wait and see approach. I am in no way qualified to judge what makes a good HC candidate so won’t even try to speculate.  This season is over half way through so I’m going to enjoy games if I don’t have anything else to do and wait for the offseason.  That’s when it should answer my questions.  Until then, we are in a holding/evaluation pattern. 

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

BR = Bernard Raimann.

Sorry, misread it. 

But... they should have left Pryor at LT. On Pryor though, his issue (pre-Indy) was weight/body/S&C. He got consistent (body) last year, and played better. I still don't see him as "strong", but is stronger than BR. And MP could benefit in technique coaching. Both Pinter and Raimann are good technique wise (at their stage), but both need help with S&C. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Sorry, misread it. 

But... they should have left Pryor at LT. On Pryor though, his issue (pre-Indy) was weight/body/S&C. He got consistent (body) last year, and played better. I still don't see him as "strong", but is stronger than BR. And MP could benefit in technique coaching. Both Pinter and Raimann are good technique wise (at their stage), but both need help with S&C. 

With this forums autocorrect, if you type in nonsense....it changes it to "nonsense"   See?

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That was a shot at Reich. He also took a shot at Luck by saying he's never had a 29-year-old QB retire on him in his prime (actually loved that).

Yeah I noticed and made the connection.

i wonder if Riech game planned mostly based on analytics. Or if he abandoned the game plan for analytics. Not sure which but that definitely seems to be a direct shot. And makes sense if true

8 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Honestly I don’t have much confidence in Irsay from the presser. He just kept saying “you know” over and over and talking in metaphors and circles. This doesn’t make me lose confidence in him, just that it was hard to listen to and gain any substance. I applaud him firing Reich, have my doubts about Saturday but as I predominantly do, will take a wait and see approach. I am in no way qualified to judge what makes a good HC candidate so won’t even try to speculate.  This season is over half way through so I’m going to enjoy games if I don’t have anything else to do and wait for the offseason.  That’s when it should answer my questions.  Until then, we are in a holding/evaluation pattern. 

Honestly, this was his most articulate conference In a long time. Like a decade long time. He normally is even harder to listen too

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Taking a shot? Exactly what does that mean? Telling the truth now is taking a shot. 

It means he was talking about Reich specifically when he mentioned he didn't like analytics, but he wouldn't call him out by name. Just "coaches" in particular.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

It means he was talking about Reich specifically when he mentioned he didn't like analytics, but he wouldn't call him out by name. Just "coaches" in particular.

The term 'taking a shot ' is normally thought of as a negative thing. Just because someone is making a comment does not automatically make it a negative thing. Just saying. 

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yeah I noticed and made the connection.

i wonder if Riech game planned mostly based on analytics. Or if he abandoned the game plan for analytics. Not sure which but that definitely seems to be a direct shot. And makes sense if true

Honestly, this was his most articulate conference In a long time. Like a decade long time. He normally is even harder to listen too

On the bolded, yup. He always starts bad. Get's better once he warms up lol... Never been "articulate" though. Singing never gets better though lol.. 

Now we have a HC with no experience in NFL coaching.  HC has many duties as a HC than fixing the OL in which he has no experience.  With firing both HC/OC he has nobody with experience to set up game plans and call plays. He cant overnite redo the OL.  He might be able to raise the OL motivation. All these moves since benching Ryan shows desperation and overreaction.

3 minutes ago, TheShadow said:

Now we have a HC with no experience in NFL coaching.  HC has many duties as a HC than fixing the OL in which he has no experience.  With firing both HC/OC he has nobody with experience to set up game plans and call plays. He cant overnite redo the OL.  He might be able to raise the OL motivation. All these moves since benching Ryan shows desperation and overreaction.

Disagree...

Montgomery has OC experience (and HC) with 2 ACC schools.

Milanovich was a HC and OC on multiple CFB teams. 

Fox was a HC on 3 different NFL teams. 

So we have 2 guys that can help with game plan / play calling (I wouldn't count Reggie out either).

And we have a seasoned NFL HC with 15 years experience to help with general HC stuff... 

And the team (many players) quit on Frank. So motivation is pretty big... 

This needed to be done. frank who we all think is a good guy just was not in control of this team and his play calling was really bad. You have to make the head coach accountable after so many changes and still the team was playing awful.

Now lets remove the bad pick at QB by Frank (Sam) and put in Foles or if healthy Matt Ryan. At least those two QB's belong on an NFL field and give the colts a chance to win. 

Although maybe there is a plan to suck for a QB? I would say so if they leave in Sam as he is obviously not ready for the NFL nor he may never be.

I really like Saturday as a player, and he was a good analyst on ESPN. We will see if he can win the head coach job by season end. 

Frank needed to go, it was time. I think Jeff makes sense too.  they dont want someone in that role that was hired by CB or Frank in that spot now.

They brought in someone with no allegiance to Chris to evaluate the players, coaches and locker room vibe.  Pretty clear this wasnt CBs first choice but hes ok with it for now.  There could be a rift in the off season if Jim wants to keep him though 

Archived