Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sam Ehlinger Video Analysis

John Hammonds

I think Lawrence Owens video is another watch. He shows a few significant opportunities Sam missed that he can build on. Some throws had he made them that would be TD. Im buying this young man though. Hes got the right type of competitive fire. Im just looking to see what else we do to fix the line bc thats really the only issue here. We are good at pretty much everywhere else. The division is bad and we are only 3-4. We can turn it around if we dig in to be honest. Wheres one of them players only meetings darn it!

4 hours ago, krunk said:

I think Lawrence Owens video is another watch. He shows a few significant opportunities Sam missed that he can build on. Some throws had he made them that would be TD. Im buying this young man though. Hes got the right type of competitive fire. Im just looking to see what else we do to fix the line bc thats really the only issue here. We are good at pretty much everywhere else. The division is bad and we are only 3-4. We can turn it around if we dig in to be honest. Wheres one of them players only meetings darn it!

Couldn’t agree more: even though TEs and WRs haven’t blocked well and the Oline is inconsistent, these things can be corrected
  The way most media and fans talk, you would think the Colts are 1-5-1 or 0-7.

The video does not directly speak to what many here thought Sam's biggest issue was...arm strength or zip.  The only time the author talks about the throw, it was in a positive light.  Said that Sam made some throws that Ryan couldn't ever make.....but maybe not setting his footwork correctly while having to move around.

That tells me that Sams arm is probably fine.  Like Reich said.  outside of guys with really good arms, like Mahomes, Allen, and maybe Rodgers, every other starting NFL QB is in a big pile of arm quality, and Sam is in that pile....not on the outside trying to get in.

Time will tell, but I think he might quickly show us that he is the best QB we've had here since Luck...and that's good enough.

43 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This was a very good video. It kind of related to the Brady firing too.  I like how he talks about bad and good play design. I assume that if he did this for every team that there would be some bad and good play designs though.

He kind of implied the firing was related to some of the play designs and situational play calling, which we know could be Reich too.  He didn't really imply that he knew, and thought the timing of the firing was odd.

What stood out though is how poorly Granson and Pittman blocked the edges on the wide plays, and he mentioned how Nelson whiffed his block on that goal line play because he had his head down ready to pancake the guy right in front of him instead of having his head up looking for the twist that blows right past him.   There seems to be some issues with situational coordination that Brady might have taken the fall for...or is responsible for.

As far as the blocking that’s probably the difference between a 3-4-1 team and a 6-2 or 7-1 team. A lot of posters on here rip Ballard because they don’t think we’re talented. I think we are it’s they seem to be nowhere near sound fundamentally. Not sure who that falls on more the HC or the coordinators. My guess is the coordinators but I’m not giving Frank a pass at all. He drives me crazy too.

24 minutes ago, #12. said:

The example where he said Sam had time to reset and hit the TD looks pretty iffy to me.  That closed off fast.

Yeah, I think he was saying that Sam should have identified that open space quicker, ran to it quicker so he had time to set his feet.  But that's a pretty big Ask of a QB in that quickly deteriorating situation, IMO.

31 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, I think he was saying that Sam should have identified that open space quicker, ran to it quicker so he had time to set his feet.  But that's a pretty big Ask of a QB in that quickly deteriorating situation, IMO.

I'm going to soften my stance from yesterday, somewhat. I still think Reich's time is coming up, but in watching some of the coach's film from Sunday, and now looking at JT's video in this thread, I see them installing some of the modern concepts that will fit more mobile QBs. And whether that means it's Ehlinger, or if it's someone we draft, the remaining games of this season will help the rest of the team get a head start on these different concepts. And we can evaluate what kind of linemen we need, what kind of receivers/TEs will fit, can our receivers handle the option concepts, etc. 

So whether it's Reich or someone else, the rest of this season can be a way to jumpstart a new chapter for this offense, and evaluate what personnel changes need to be made.

I still question whether Reich is the right guy to install a more modern offense. But he has two months to prove that he can.

he said he reminds him of rich gannon.  if he even comes close to playing like gannon we are set for a few years at least.  take a LT in the draft then.

I was really surprised by pittman's whiff on the first play.  not what i would expect from him.

Posted this on another thread, having not seen it here, or elsewhere prior. Very surprised at the lack of commitment by the receivers, especially Pittman in run blocking.  The play where it was goal line draw that got stuffed, the QB has to check out of that play, the design was up against 5 defenders against 2 1/2 blockers.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I'm going to soften my stance from yesterday, somewhat. I still think Reich's time is coming up, but in watching some of the coach's film from Sunday, and now looking at JT's video in this thread, I see them installing some of the modern concepts that will fit more mobile QBs. And whether that means it's Ehlinger, or if it's someone we draft, the remaining games of this season will help the rest of the team get a head start on these different concepts. And we can evaluate what kind of linemen we need, what kind of receivers/TEs will fit, can our receivers handle the option concepts, etc. 

So whether it's Reich or someone else, the rest of this season can be a way to jumpstart a new chapter for this offense, and evaluate what personnel changes need to be made.

I still question whether Reich is the right guy to install a more modern offense. But he has two months to prove that he can.

Even though my comments about Reich probably sound in his defense, I'm actually pretty agnostic about him.  I simply don't know.

I don't know what to think about him during 2018 and 2019, first going from a gingerly Luck to a confident one, then retirement, then JB for a whole year.  Then with Rivers, Wentz and Ryan, has he had an opportunity to install much of a modern O?  

You could say Wentz, but there appeared to be something going on where he took the ball out of Carson's hands and gave it to JT, in part because JT was the hot horse last year and a guy like Pascal was the second best receiving target.  Reich has some obvious faults, (too conservative?) but I think he's basically been coaching to the personnel he has had. 

As far as Sam, If we are going to draft just another short mobile QB with a good brain, I'd just as soon keep with what we know we have (by the end of the season).  If a taller and more athletic mobile QB with a good brain comes along...like Lawrence or Herbert...then I'd support drafting him.  IOW, its gonna have to be somebody clearly better or more upside than Sam for me not to want to take a LT or another EDGE or Corner in round 1.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Even though my comments about Reich probably sound in his defense, I'm actually pretty agnostic about him.  I simply don't know.

I think he has clear faults, and I don't think they're going to get better. At the same time, it's very true that he's been dealt a bad hand at QB. But I still think he can be evaluated fairly. 

At QB, I think Ehlinger has some promise. I'm not excited about building a team with him as the primary guy.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think he has clear faults, and I don't think they're going to get better. At the same time, it's very true that he's been dealt a bad hand at QB. But I still think he can be evaluated fairly. 

At QB, I think Ehlinger has some promise. I'm not excited about building a team with him as the primary guy.

Even if he is not a starter  I think he is good enough to atleast be the back up

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

I just want to point out that part of him being dealt a bad hand at QB is due to his own doing. He's drawing his own hand in a certain way. Yes, Luck retired unexpectedly... but both Rivers and Wentz were his hand picked choices at QB with all the potential drawbacks and positives they came with. Not sure about Matt Ryan, but that's at least half of the choices at QB were his. 

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

I just want to point out that part of him being dealt a bad hand at QB is due to his own doing. He's drawing his own hand in a certain way. Yes, Luck retired unexpectedly... but both Rivers and Wentz were his hand picked choices at QB with all the potential drawbacks and positives they came with. Not sure about Matt Ryan, but that's at least half of the choices at QB were his. 

No argument. I don't think he should be excused for poor offensive performance, or that he's being judged unfairly. But ideally, your offensive minded HC wouldn't have a new QB every season.

30 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think handpicked is a little strong.  Ballard knows Rivers is 38 and is questionable for 2020 and beyond.   

Ballard and Reich likely have a convo about if these vet QBs still have it and Frank says that "yes, we can win with him".....but that's likely the extent of it.    

Frank is not making the larger decision of whether to go with a band aid vet or draft a younger QB.  He's not telling Ballard to pick the vet instead of drafting the younger guy.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I didn't bother to respond to your "scapegoat " feelings yesterday as I have no idea how much that played into the firing. It's just all conjecture. I will say that watching the Colts the last 2 years , I can see why Brady was released . Hard to believe we can't upgrade on what he's brought to the table as the OC.

What a great look at our offense.
 This video was very telling. Sam has some good instincts and real throwing talent. 
 Pittman and Granson killed us as blockers. Very pitiful effort.
 You can't call it if they can't/won't block it is true.
 The tape don't lie. Frank and his staff need to kick some tail. 

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think handpicked is a little strong.  Ballard knows Rivers is 38 and is questionable for 2020 and beyond.   

Ballard and Reich likely have a convo about if these vet QBs still have it and Frank says that "yes, we can win with him".....but that's likely the extent of it.    

Frank is not making the larger decision of whether to go with a band aid vet or draft a younger QB.  He's not telling Ballard to pick the vet instead of drafting the younger guy.

I have no doubt Ballard has been poised to draft a QB ever since Luck left.
At the right draft spot based on perceived potential. I bet Irsay will demand we draft a QB pretty high now. 

14 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I didn't bother to respond to your "scapegoat " feelings yesterday as I have no idea how much that played into the firing. It's just all conjecture. I will say that watching the Colts the last 2 years , I can see why Brady was released . Hard to believe we can't upgrade on what he's brought to the table as the OC.

Agreed. It's not like Brady was knocking it out of the park or anything.

As for Reich, he's in charge of the offense, the buck stops with him. So getting rid of the the OC doesn't help his cause at all.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:
27 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Agreed. It's not like Brady was knocking it out of the park or anything.

As for Reich, he's in charge of the offense, the buck stops with him. So getting rid of the the OC doesn't help his cause at all.

Especially if Brady is the one responsible for scripting the first 15 plays of each game.  The starts have been atrocious.

4 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Especially if Brady is the one responsible for scripting the first 15 plays of each game.  The starts have been atrocious.

Reich's presser makes it seem like Reich was doing it, but I wonder if he's just falling on the sword.

33 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I have no doubt Ballard has been poised to draft a QB ever since Luck left.
At the right draft spot based on perceived potential. I bet Irsay will demand we draft a QB pretty high now. 

4 years is a long time to be poised

8 minutes ago, philba101 said:

4 years is a long time to be poised

You must have stopped reading after the first sentence. He literally said after that "at the right draft spot based on perceived potential" aka he has been ready to take a QB in the draft as long as the right guy could be had at the right draft spot. That opportunity really hasn't presented itself yet.

12 minutes ago, Shive said:

You must have stopped reading after the first sentence. He literally said after that "at the right draft spot based on perceived potential" aka he has been ready to take a QB in the draft as long as the right guy could be had at the right draft spot. That opportunity really hasn't presented itself yet.

I didn't stop reading. If he doesn't do it pretty soon he may not get a chance to do it at all. He didn't have to trade the 13th pick in 2020. He could have packaged it with other picks to move up. What if our record is decidedly average again this year and we end up with a pick lower than 13. Is he going to pass and go for a 4th-straight band-aid QB? Does Ballard really think he is going to get a top 10 pick without giving up future picks, or is he anticipating we will be in the top 10 anyway?

15 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I didn't stop reading. If he doesn't do it pretty soon he may not get a chance to do it at all. He didn't have to trade the 13th pick in 2020. He could have packaged it with other picks to move up. What if our record is decidedly average again this year and we end up with a pick lower than 13. Is he going to pass and go for a 4th-straight band-aid QB? Does Ballard really think he is going to get a top 10 pick without giving up future picks, or is he anticipating we will be in the top 10 anyway?

Ahhhh....that's right....the vaunted 2020 draft. The "we could have traded up for Herbert" narrative is tired and old. Nobody had Herbert pegged as being drafted that high and it was pretty much a universally shared belief that Herbert had been overdrafted. Hindsight tells us otherwise now.

At that point in time, maybe we liked Herbert and thought we would be able to trade up later in the 1st but he was taken much earlier than we anticipated? We don't know who was on our board and where we thought they would go, but the reality is that you don't know any other team's boards and you draft guys in the range that you have them graded for.

JT is excellent.  Wish he would not go on as much as he does at times but his vids are great because he teaches a bit and also gives you the design analysis.

This was a good first start for Ehlinger.  Not seeing the TD deep when you're moving that much in the pocket is understandable.  The key is he is getting through reads so he knows the offense and is playing fast enough, and we can see his greatest strength which is his feel in the pocket.  He really does have a great feel for positioning.  Lot of QBs wish they had that.  Lot of fans wish their QBs had that.

12 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

JT is excellent.  Wish he would not go on as much as he does at times but his vids are great because he teaches a bit and also gives you the design analysis.

This was a good first start for Ehlinger.  Not seeing the TD deep when you're moving that much in the pocket is understandable.  The key is he is getting through reads so he knows the offense and is playing fast enough, and we can see his greatest strength which is his feel in the pocket.  He really does have a great feel for positioning.  Lot of QBs wish they had that.  Lot of fans wish their QBs had that.

It was really impressive how much he understood the offense. Not many procedure mistakes either. He was in control. Everyone should go watch his presser today. That kid had played one game and is already a leader. Very impressive. No one understood why they cut Eason but after watching Sam play and his pressers it’s clear why they chose Sam over Jacob.

9 hours ago, DougDew said:

According to Reich he pounded the table for Wentz and was proud to admit it.

Archived