Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan benched for Sam (merge)

John Waylon

42 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Well, a guy like Peyton Manning leaves, look where the Broncos are. A guy like Tom Brady leaves, the Patriots however have managed to be competitive in a slightly better fashion than the Broncos are without that QB. 

You need a stable QB, a stable offensive system, good FA moves and a very good HC to succeed in this league. We would gladly trade places with the Titans with 1 AFCCG appearance and 2 one-and-dones in 2019, 2020 and 2021 with a high AFC seeding. It is not like Ryan Tannehill is a world beater like Mahomes, Allen or Burrow. But he is an excellent opportunistic field general who plays within the system and doesn't do things to hurt the team with turnovers, for most of the time, and Mike Vrabel is an excellent head coach.

You can make the turnaround if you have a GM willing to make a few FA moves and a HC that adapts to what the league is doing and to the strengths of his QB as well. You can't make changes to the most important position on the team and expect the rest of the team to pick up where they left off on O and D from the previous year with so many coaching and player changes, that is never a realistic plan, IMO. The QB and offensive system, the more constant they are, the better things will be.

I don’t disagree. With any of it

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I don't like Doyel. At all...

But... most are thinking the same... 

It's worth listening/watching the entire presser (15ish min)

https://www.colts.com/news/sam-ehlinger-matt-ryan-starting-quarterback-2022-season-frank-reich-explains

Not a conspiracy guy, but... wouldn't be surprised if anything below is correct

• Perhaps Ryan isn't badly hurt. He played after the hit. And now he's not even practicing? If he was told about the benching, perhaps he said stick up your ..... trade me or pay me the rest of the contract... I'm on a plane... Gonna back to Sugarloaf or Buckhead. IIRC, he still has both places in GA. 
  • Frank did not voluntarily offer the info about Sam being the starter going forward. He started with injury. It was not until the media about the future... Why not say it in the opening.... Trying to keep it quiet... Perhaps to give time for trade or decision for retirement... 
  • Wonder if Irsay feared Ryan would lose the game vs WA (after Snyder comments)... and pushed the move.

Actually Booger was a bit sarcastic. He called it a band aide. And said his sauce was not Chick-Fil-A sauce. 

Regarding the injury: I think it's a situation where he COULD play if there were no other options, but where you really wouldn't want (and maybe shouldn't) want him to play so he can heal up properly. The timing is convenient to see what Sam can do. 

The 'rest of the season' thing is curious. Something else is up, and either the FO has lost confidence in Ryan (could be of his own doing, as well) or Ryan has lost confidence in the Colts, or himself. Though it's not a huge jump to believe this is a shoot from the hip decision, but I'm thinking Ryan had as much input into it as the rest of the FO.

Yep, Frank seemed uncomfortable with the whole interview but that could be the result of any one of a number of issues. Or all of them(?).

It's entirely possible Sam underwhelms against Washington, and progresses from there. Or he could break out, and we can wait for the league to figure him out. Hopefully, he levels off and doesn't wilt, either way.

On this Tuesday, I'm expecting to, at least, be more entertained than I have been for most of the beginning of this season. And, I'll take it from there.

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

He may be able to help, but I think solidifying RG will help us more at the moment. That's by far the absolutely worst position on the OL. Pryor has been atrocious and D Kelly at least looked good against the talented Jax DL. Washington has a good DL as well, so it'll be interesting how he fairs.

To me, bringing in a veteran band-aid at RG could make the biggest difference for us in stabilizing the OL. I think with someone even competent next to Smith, it'll help elevate his game a bit more.

I couldn’t agree more.  I think they should bring in Daryl Williams for a workout.  Better yet trade for Austin Corbett problem solved for the next four years.

8 minutes ago, Shive said:

He may be able to help, but I think solidifying RG will help us more at the moment. That's by far the absolutely worst position on the OL. Pryor has been atrocious and D Kelly at least looked good against the talented Jax DL. Washington has a good DL as well, so it'll be interesting how he fairs.

To me, bringing in a veteran band-aid at RG could make the biggest difference for us in stabilizing the OL. I think with someone even competent next to Smith, it'll help elevate his game a bit more.

I think the problems are more serious than replacing one or two players. MPJ's comments hint that the entire team has a major attitude problem, and how far up that extends through the coaches, GM, front office and ownership we just don't know. The team needs to start talking to each other - and listening - honestly, without telling others what to do. If not, the cancer will spread and last decades.

All the ideologues need to go somewhere else to preach.

According to this, Ryan will not play another down for the Colts because of his contract

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/25/matt-ryans-contract-is-the-main-reason-he-wont-play-for-the-colts-again-this-year/

...Ryan’s contract already pays him $12 million in base salary next year, fully guaranteed. But millions more would become fully guaranteed if Ryan suffers an injury that keeps him from passing a physical by the third day of the 2023 league year in March, when the payments that are currently guaranteed for injury become fully guaranteed.

Specifically, Ryan has $7.205 million in additional 2023 salary guaranteed for injury, and a 2023 roster bonus of $10 million, which is also guaranteed for injury. That’s $17.205 million that the Colts would potentially owe Ryan (in addition to the $12 million) if he emerges from the 2022 season with an injury that prevents him from passing a physical by the middle of March.

That’s why Ryan won’t be playing again for the Colts in 2022...

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

According to this, Ryan will not play another down for the Colts because of his contract

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/25/matt-ryans-contract-is-the-main-reason-he-wont-play-for-the-colts-again-this-year/

...Ryan’s contract already pays him $12 million in base salary next year, fully guaranteed. But millions more would become fully guaranteed if Ryan suffers an injury that keeps him from passing a physical by the third day of the 2023 league year in March, when the payments that are currently guaranteed for injury become fully guaranteed.

Specifically, Ryan has $7.205 million in additional 2023 salary guaranteed for injury, and a 2023 roster bonus of $10 million, which is also guaranteed for injury. That’s $17.205 million that the Colts would potentially owe Ryan (in addition to the $12 million) if he emerges from the 2022 season with an injury that prevents him from passing a physical by the middle of March.

Eddie Murphy Laughing GIF

14 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I think the problems are more serious than replacing one or two players. MPJ's comments hint that the entire team has a major attitude problem, and how far up that extends through the coaches, GM, front office and ownership we just don't know. The team needs to start talking to each other - and listening - honestly, without telling others what to do. If not, the cancer will spread and last decades.

All the ideologues need to go somewhere else to preach.

There's some weird stuff going on behind the scenes. 

23 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

What a steal for a 3rd right?

Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I imagine there will be a split in the fan base. Some wanting Sam to succeed and some hoping it fails so we can get a QB in the draft. Even if he succeeds there will be some that think we need better. 

It’s not that I want too Sam fail. It’s that I don’t think he’s a franchise QB at all, but knowing how this organization likes to overreact to player performances, he’ll come out and show “flashes” and he’ll be anointed as the QB of the future and we’ll once again pass on drafting a QB. It’ll be “just fix the O-line and play and playcalling and we can win with Sam”. The Vikings tried that with Case Keenum and it didn’t work.

That’s what I’m afraid of. This team looking for a cheap out. To my knowledge the whole “Let’s see what we have in the young late round pick” thing has never been successful. In the modern era of the NFL the only successful Day 3 or UDFA QB’s have been Brady, Dak, and Romo. And Dak really isn’t that great TBH. Romo could never win the big game. Brady is the real outlier.

I just don’t want this team to get sucked into that false hope dynamic that comes from overhyping some flash in the pan moments.

Per Albert Breer: On Sirius with Charlie Weis/Bob Pappa this morning

Irsay forced the Move and Irsay's thinking was this.

See what you have in Ellinger. If it's great, then great. If it's not, the overall turnout of the season would position the Colts to get a QB and get it right once and for all and stop the band aid carousel of QBs that has been in Indy over the past few years.

**For the record, I totally agree with this decision. Irsay is not an *. He has grown tired of this junk, and this tells me that he has given them enough chances.

Breer also stated at the end that there are a few in league circles telling him that other changes, specifically Reich and Ballard, may also be on the way at season's end for what that's worth. 

Irsay, starting with Wentz last season, has grown impatient; as well as some of us fans who are always chastised for being "Colt's haters" most certainly are. 

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

See what you have in Ellinger. If it's great, then great. If it's not, the overall turnout of the season would position the Colts to get a QB and get it right once and for all and stop the band aid carousel of QBs that has been in Indy over the past few years.

**For the record, I totally agree with this decision. Irsay is not an *. He has grown tired of this junk, and this tells me that he has given them enough chances.

Breer also stated at the end that there are a few in league circles telling him that other changes, specifically Reich and Ballard, may also be on the way at season's end for what that's worth. 

Irsay, starting with Wentz last season, has grown impatient; as well as some of us fans who are always chastised for being "Colt's haters" most certainly are. 

Good stuff thanks. It’s going to be interesting to see how the team responds. How players respond could be whether they keep their jobs or not.

5 minutes ago, Indeee said:

So, Irsay has taken control from the GM to fix the issues that Ballard has failed at and given him a pass. Brilliant 

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

We’ve been wanting Reich to adapt his scheme for years now. Why would starting Sam change anything?

I’ll believe it when I see it. 

Because you can only do so much with a guy like Ryan. Might take a couple weeks to get things going but this is going to help the run game and even Taylor. Sam has to be accounted for so I expect WR to be more open. Mi being the pocket and misdirection should also be in the table helping the oline.

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

So, Irsay has taken control from the GM to fix the issues that Ballard has failed at and given him a pass. Brilliant 

It may explain Ballard's lack of availability/silence idk. Either way, I'm good with it. Ballard has failed in key positions and IMHO was a bit too arrogant over these last few years

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

It may explain Ballard's lack of availability/silence idk. Either way, I'm good with it. Ballard has failed in key positions and IMHO was a bit too arrogant over these last few years

Can’t wait for his presser.

Tired Over It GIF by Desus & Mero

7 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This may sound dumb but I wonder if Reich is kind of happy Sam is playing over Ryan and Irsay pushed for it. He wanted Carson because of all the stuff they could do with the offense. Now he has a guy  he can do so much with instead of the statue of Ryan.

Ballard wouldn't want to stay around either, along with Reich. 

That is why if you get a new QB, give the incoming GM a clean slate to pick his HC, and his QB and build around the new QB. 

Let's be honest guys:

We were clearly going nowhere with Matt Ryan and this team this year. Even if we somehow make the playoffs, are we winning 3 in a row against Bills/Chiefs/Ravens/Bengals/Titans?

Let's see what Sam has, we can find a guy or we can position ourselves to pick a guy next draft.

The worst thing that can happen is 8-9 wins picking at 18 again with not much trust on the team for 2023.

It's better to end on a horrible way than a horror without end.

6 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

Let's be honest guys:

We were clearly going nowhere with Matt Ryan and this team this year. Even if we somehow make the playoffs, are we winning 3 in a row against Bills/Chiefs/Ravens/Bengals/Titans?

Let's see what Sam has, we can find a guy or we can position ourselves to pick a guy next draft.

The worst thing that can happen is 8-9 wins picking at 18 again with not much trust on the team for 2023.

It's better to end on a horrible way than a horror without end.

Yeah either Sam takes us to playoffs or we need to finish with a bad record. If we win 8 or 9 with Sam and miss playoffs that would be bad.

Unless Sam balls out, Frank is toast, but people wanting Ballard gone will be disappointed, I predict.

When it comes to Sam, I'm guessing there was a general consensus among Frank, Ballard and Irsay.  Frank's in favor, as he realizes it's the only way he can save his job, and looking at Siriani and Hurts in Philly believes something similar can work here.  Ballard's in favor, as it now goes through Taylor again, not a turnover machine 37 year old QB.  Irsay?  He's impulsive and wants change, but that doesn't mean getting rid of Wentz and benching Ryan were the wrong decisions.

41 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This is so true. When is Ballard going to start getting the blame from Irsay instead of the HC and another QB. Glad someone said this.

Well we had Andy Luck at the time. Not too crazy.

39 minutes ago, Indeee said:

If that's the case then it would appear Irsay is fine with bringing back this GM and coaching staff as well. I mean he's basically saying it's all the QB again. The man is out of his fricking mind!

2 minutes ago, Coltsfan98 said:

If that's the case then it would appear Irsay is fine with bringing back this GM and coaching staff as well. I mean he's basically saying it's all the QB again. The man is out of his fricking mind!

I could see him giving them a last chance with a young QB they draft it Sam. He knows how hard it was to lose Luck. 

4 minutes ago, Coltsfan98 said:

The person who posted this literally said that Breer said more changes may becoming at seasons end including Reich and Ballard.

So was it Reich's personal decision to tell us that Sam is the man for the rest of the season, or did he get told to say that by someone else? 

What is the advantage to telling us and future opponents that Sam is the starter for the rest of the season? Is it to build confidence in Sam? 

He could've simply said, "Matt has a shoulder injury and is going to be out for awhile. We're going to evaluate things as we go on."

And if Irsay is pushing for all of this, why isn't he the one on the podium talking about it? To not overstep on the coaches and GM? That wouldn't make much sense since we all seem to know it was him. Who's he fooling? The Dippin' Dots guy in the stadium? 

Archived