Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Veteran NFL scout on Stanford QB Andrew Luck: "I don't think this kid is special in any way except his intangibles."

Jay305

And if someone wants to create an altar of worship to Andrew Luck, offer nightly sacrifices of small animals and kiss Andrew's picture right on the lips every night before bed time then that too is their choice. Some of us still have some appreciation for the man who brought our franchise, and our city, onto the national map. There may be a select few who will never embrace Luck as our new Qb and that sadly probably has at least a little something to do with the slobbering that :"some" people have done over him for the past 6 months. However, the majority have accepted that Peyton is now with another franchise and will support Luck objectively and fairly, though without putting Andrew on the pedestal that some already have him on.

+1

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to figure which is the most ridiculous post:

1. We can't praise Luck for anything he has done because he hasn't done it in the NFL.

Or

2. Blow up the whole draft system and do a lottery

#1 should read "We can't praise Luck for anything he has done because he hasn't done it in the NFL, even though we're still going to guess at how he'll do in the NFL by saying he's worthy of the #1 pick, which assumes more NFL success than this draft counterparts."

In the article they mentioned that RGIII's ceiling is higher than Andrew Lucks. I've been hering this a lot lately. It's easy for people to say that RGIII has a higher ceiling that Andrew Luck, but I don't understand this. How do they know what their ceilings are?

You ever notice that whenever 2 people are compared against each other, the one that isn't as good NOW is the one that always has the higher ceiling? Same thing they said about Manning/Leaf.

Trying to figure which is the most ridiculous post:

1. We can't praise Luck for anything he has done because he hasn't done it in the NFL.

Or

2. Blow up the whole draft system and do a lottery

It wasn't a suggestion, it was just in response to an article I read about the NFL not being happy about the lack of suspense around the draft.

Forgive me for having a thought process that can go outside of the box.

It wasn't a suggestion, it was just in response to an article I read about the NFL not being happy about the lack of suspense around the draft.

Just a little too far out of the box.

It's funny how critics out of one side of their mouth complain about the lack of suspense, then out of the other side will bash the Colts for not already signing Luck. (not speaking you, if I remember you don't think they should sign him yet, neither do I)

You ever notice that whenever 2 people are compared against each other, the one that isn't as good NOW is the one that always has the higher ceiling? Same thing they said about Manning/Leaf.

That only means the player that isnt as good now has further along to go and those type of players nowadays (not all) but alot dont reach their ceiling (case in point ultimate example Micheal Vick) some good years yes but nothing I would consider great to this point and inconsistent at best and he is one that is loaded with talent around him

If you can turn it into an absurd conclusion it wasn't a very legitimate point to begin with.

ANY point can be taken to an absurd conclusion if one is not clever enough, or too lazy, to form a more articulate and logical argument.

Just a little too far out of the box.

It's funny how critics out of one side of their mouth complain about the lack of suspense, then out of the other side will bash the Colts for not already signing Luck. (not speaking you, if I remember you don't think they should sign him yet, neither do I)

Well, it would add some suspense... It would make for great TV. Scramble mode for 32 front offices. Organized chaos.

I wouldn't be so opposed to it now. The draft is less than a week away. Obviously the worst case scenario could happen at any time, but the odds of that happening reduce each day. I was completely opposed to that idea 2-3 weeks ago or in February like a select few wanted it done.

People want their cake and eat it too..

Im starting to warm up to the idea of the draft spread out over three days, gives me something to watch over the weekend, now alot of other ideas Goodell has enforced or done I dont like but this one I dont mind nearly as much as I did in the beginning

Unnamed scout says RG3 is selfish. Unnamed scout says Luck only has intangibles, not much else. I thought scouts wanted to make a name for themselves so they could be on SportsCenter. How are they ever going to be like Skip Bayless unless they put their mug on camera and admit it?

Unnamed scout says RG3 is selfish. Unnamed scout says Luck only has intangibles, not much else. I thought scouts wanted to make a name for themselves so they could be on SportsCenter. How are they ever going to be like Skip Bayless unless they put their mug on camera and admit it?

ah who cares like it was stated, the scout is unnamed, I refuse to talk about an unnamed scout who gives a meaningless opinion and does not give reasons for his opinion

ANY point can be taken to an absurd conclusion if one is not clever enough, or too lazy, to form a more articulate and logical argument.

It's a pretty logical argument.

You can't say in one breath that you can't predict how a player will do in the NFL and then turn around in the next breath and say that the player is worthy of the #1 pick because he'll be better in the NFL than the other college players. The two statements are inconsistent with one another. The comment of "So then we should just pick names out of a hat on draft day?" is a reductio ad absurdum argument which highlighted the inconsistency of the two statements by showing that college players do differ in how their NFL prospects are perceived, thereby disproving the position that all players in the NFL draft are equal to one another.

It's a pretty logical argument.

You can't say in one breath that you can't predict how a player will do in the NFL and then turn around in the next breath and say that the player is worthy of the #1 pick because he'll be better in the NFL than the other college players. The two statements are inconsistent with one another. The comment of "So then we should just pick names out of a hat on draft day?" is a reductio ad absurdum argument which highlighted the inconsistency of the two statements by showing that college players do differ in how their NFL prospects are perceived, thereby disproving the position that all players in the NFL draft are equal to one another.

Anyone who uses the term "reductio ad absurdum argument" wins the debate!

In the article they mentioned that RGIII's ceiling is higher than Andrew Lucks. I've been hering this a lot lately. It's easy for people to say that RGIII has a higher ceiling that Andrew Luck, but I don't understand this. How do they know what their ceilings are?

For example, If peyton Manning, rather than Andrew Luck, were to be in the draft alonside RGIII, people would say that RGIII's ceiling is higher than Mannings, which we all know is ridiculous. It's based on the fact that RGIII is very atheletic, and "if he is able to hone in on his skills, become more fundamental, learn to read defenses (like Manning), then because of his superior atheletic ability, his ceiling is higher."

The quarterback position is not based on atheleticism. Those considered to be the best QB's are usually listed as: Montana, Elway, Marino, Aikman, Manning, Brady, etc... You will notice that none of them are exceedingly atheletic, by NFL standards. I think that Luck's ceiling is much higher.

RG3 ceiling is higher because of how much of a threat he is with his running ablities.

And if someone wants to create an altar of worship to Andrew Luck, offer nightly sacrifices of small animals and kiss Andrew's picture right on the lips every night before bed time then that too is their choice. Some of us still have some appreciation for the man who brought our franchise, and our city, onto the national map. There may be a select few who will never embrace Luck as our new Qb and that sadly probably has at least a little something to do with the slobbering that :"some" people have done over him for the past 6 months. However, the majority have accepted that Peyton is now with another franchise and will support Luck objectively and fairly, though without putting Andrew on the pedestal that some already have him on.

I shall name my first born male child Freaky Jason

Another contrarian who won't attach his name to it.

I paid it no mind, Im actually surprised so many are talking about it this long, his opinion dont mean anything or amount to anything, their was no examples of his claims or facts presented

Everyone seems to say hes as good as Peyton and will be better etc etc

I haven't seen people saying Luck will be better than Peyton.The Colts are picking Luck because they have determined that he has the most potential,thats what the draft is all about.I don't see the problem with fans being excited about it.I loved Peyton,but he is not our QB anymore.Time to move on.

RG3 ceiling is higher because of how much of a threat he is with his running ablities.

Does this mean all QBs faster than Luck have a higher ceiling? They all may develop amazing throwing skills, but Luck will never get significantly faster? If so we should go for Russell Wilson, Dominique Davis etc, both faster than Luck... heck stick Chris Owusu at QB. If he learns to throw amazingly then he'll be awesome, so he's got more upside than Luck...?

Does running ability make a better QB?If so Michael Vick would be better then Peyton,Tom Brady,Brees ect.The most important thing with a QB is whats upstairs.I'm not saying Griffin doesn't have it,but the Colts have determined that Luck is the man.He's our QB now,or shortly will be.

That would be interesting and more exciting,but since we have the number #1 pick this year,i'm glad it's not like that.Love your profile pic.very funny/

I shall name my first born male child Freaky Jason

If you & FX will not embrace Luck because of some "slobbering fans" on this forum, then thats a you problem. You should base how much you embrace someone based on that individual person, not on "fans" statements.

one thing that Luck has that we have not been used to seeing is the ability to run without looking like he is dragging a 1000 pound anchor

Let's hope that Luck doesn't have to do much running...and hope that somewhere in the draft the Colts can pick up a decent RB who doesn't go two yards then duck and curl up in a fetal position.

If you & FX will not embrace Luck because of some "slobbering fans" on this forum, then thats a you problem. You should base how much you embrace someone based on that individual person, not on "fans" statements.

I think the "slobbering fans" excuse is just that - an excuse. Some people will look for any reason to be miserable, complain and try to be controversial.

I think the "slobbering fans" excuse is just that - an excuse. Some people will look for any reason to be miserable, complain and try to be controversial.

You may be right, it does seem like a very silly reason to not embrace Luck.

Well, given that the intangibles are the most important thing, I wouldn't worry. He was probably thinking that Luck doesn't have the strongest arm of all the QBs, Is not the fastest of all the QBs, etc. and just said it in a very stupid, sulky way because he's trying to make himself feel better about his own team. Luck is a fantastic package. Nothing about him is mediocre or actually weak ... He is well above average for a QB in most everyting and even better than that in everything else. And his intangibles are totally off the charts.

Does this mean all QBs faster than Luck have a higher ceiling? They all may develop amazing throwing skills, but Luck will never get significantly faster? If so we should go for Russell Wilson, Dominique Davis etc, both faster than Luck... heck stick Chris Owusu at QB. If he learns to throw amazingly then he'll be awesome, so he's got more upside than Luck...?

Hes not just faster than Luck though

You guys can call me controversial contrarian but the simple fact is I just like RG3 more than Andrew Luck, and thats who I want as our qb. You guys worship Andrew Luck soo much that anyone who doesnt like him, must be labeled controversial, contrarian, etc etc.