Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Veteran NFL scout on Stanford QB Andrew Luck: "I don't think this kid is special in any way except his intangibles."

Jay305

I think we should hype up our 5th round pick instead.

Honestly, I have seen this forum go nuts in the past over Mike Hart or Kenton Keith or just about anyone.

Our number 1 overall pick who at least DESERVES hype coming out of college and is expected to lead this team for some time SHOULD IMO get hyped up by Colts fans. If he was not hyped by us I would think that was a bit odd.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luck reminds me of vegetables. He might not look as exciting as some of the other stuff on the plate but once you break it down and consider all of the vitamins and nutrients offered you realize that its the best thing for you.

lmao

I gotta come back and thank this post later.

Exactly, Luck is no better than Griffin, Tannehill, Weeden or anyone else at this point in the NFL.

This has nothing to do with Manning as a Bronco. So if that is the argument Luck hypers are always going to use then you need a new one. The point was one is successful in the NFL, and deserves the praise he gets. The other has done zero in the NFL, and is given false praisers as an NFL QB.

Not in the NFL.

Okay, I see the point you're making but it seems to be a bit mislaid - nobody is claiming Luck is a great NFL quarterback. Nobody has said "Luck is as good as Tom Brady". Everybody is excited over his potential as a great NFL quarterback, which is fine - everyone is excited about Cam Newton's potential to be a great quarterback, but he's only had one year so certainly doesn't count as elite yet. Also, everyone is excited over how good a football player he is. Not NFL, but the sport itself - he's shown himself to be very good at it.

The way you're acting is that Luck deserves no praise of any kind until he's proven himself in the NFL, and you justify this by saying "how can he be a great NFL QB if he's never played in the NFL!" which is arguing a point that nobody is making. If we're not allowed to praise him, what are we allowed to do?

So then we should just pick names out of a hat on draft day?

Yep, from now on we'll just throw 250 names in a hat and draw one out in each rd. because hey, no one player is better than the other because they haven't played in the NFL.[sarcasm off]

His collegiate skills make him a worthy number one draft choice. That doesn't extend to skill in the NFL though. If that were the case Jack Thompson would be way ahead of Joe Montana.

Okay, I see the point you're making but it seems to be a bit mislaid - nobody is claiming Luck is a great NFL quarterback. Nobody has said "Luck is as good as Tom Brady". Everybody is excited over his potential as a great NFL quarterback, which is fine - everyone is excited about Cam Newton's potential to be a great quarterback, but he's only had one year so certainly doesn't count as elite yet. Also, everyone is excited over how good a football player he is. Not NFL, but the sport itself - he's shown himself to be very good at it.

The way you're acting is that Luck deserves no praise of any kind until he's proven himself in the NFL, and you justify this by saying "how can he be a great NFL QB if he's never played in the NFL!" which is arguing a point that nobody is making. If we're not allowed to praise him, what are we allowed to do?

Wait to see how he plays in the NFL?

It's all about Brady vs. Luck man. You know the league is gonna flex up that bad boy later to showcase the greatness. :foam:

you must have had to have scoured to find someone NOT raving about andrew luck.

You want advice from a 38 year colt fan? Get used to losing. Thats what we do best. At least most of the time over the last 4 decades. Once you get used to that anything else will be a pleasant surprise.

Besides, the guy who was shoving AL down everyone's throat is gone. I don't remember anyone else here saying he'll walk on water in september.

Wait to see how he plays in the NFL?

Thorough, well reasoned response.

The way I see it, the following are things we can safely discuss based on our knowledge of him.

His skills from his time at Stanford.

His skills from Stanford compared to other quarterbacks at other colleges.

His skills from Stanford compared to past quarterbacks coming out of college.

His skills from Stanford how they could be used in the Colts system.

His skills from Stanford and how they may translate to the pro game.

Thus logic following on from this, is how good he has the potential to be in the NFL.

None of those are subjects that we don't know enough to talk about. We don't know enough to say, "He's a great NFL quarterback", because we don't know. However I fail to see the problem with saying "He has the skills to be a great NFL quarterback" - I really don't see what your problem with this is? Otherwise we might as well all close our accounts on here and come back in September. You seem to have yourself in a fit over nothing.

SIX....MORE....DAYS

'til a new debate.

I highly doubt it. There are still those very few that are just going to refuse to embrace our future until they start winning Super Bowls and God forbid, anybody actually say a positive remark about them.

I highly doubt it. There are still those very few that are just going to refuse to embrace our future until they start winning Super Bowls and God forbid, anybody actually say a positive remark about them.

I'm trying to block that probability from my mind.

Looking forward to moving forward..............with something.

His collegiate skills make him a worthy number one draft choice. That doesn't extend to skill in the NFL though. If that were the case Jack Thompson would be way ahead of Joe Montana.

Teams aren't selecting players based off of how well they will do in college. By indicating a player is 'worthy number one draft choice', you are conceding that player is believed to have skills that transition better to the NFL than his fellow competitors, yes?

You want advice from a 38 year colt fan? Get used to losing. Thats what we do best. At least most of the time over the last 4 decades. Once you get used to that anything else will be a pleasant surprise.

Besides, the guy who was shoving AL down everyone's throat is gone. I don't remember anyone else here saying he'll walk on water in september.

christ...i thought i was a pessimist

I'm ignoring the premise and 99% of the comments in this thread, but if the NFL wanted excitement around the draft then they make it a true lottery, and for the first round they give each team 20 minutes.

Goodell comes on stage and draws a team out a hat, and says Team X is now on the clock. Teams can then scramble to trade for the pick, or make the best selection for their own team. Obviously if a team like Giants get the #1 pick, then they will look at Richardson, Kaiehl, Blackmon, or trading it to a team like the Colts that are in need of a QB.

Goodell then comes back out and says the Giants select, or the Giants trade, and then announce the trade and that team y selects player z out of Any State U.

It would be a huge headache for the front offices, but it sure would be exciting for the fans. After the first round, then they announce the draft order for Friday, and then for Saturday at the end of the draft on Friday.

I'm ignoring the premise and 99% of the comments in this thread, but if the NFL wanted excitement around the draft then they make it a true lottery, and for the first round they give each team 20 minutes.

Goodell comes on stage and draws a team out a hat, and says Team X is now on the clock. Teams can then scramble to trade for the pick, or make the best selection for their own team. Obviously if a team like Giants get the #1 pick, then they will look at Richardson, Kaiehl, Blackmon, or trading it to a team like the Colts that are in need of a QB.

Goodell then comes back out and says the Giants select, or the Giants trade, and then announce the trade and that team y selects player z out of Any State U.

It would be a huge headache for the front offices, but it sure would be exciting for the fans. After the first round, then they announce the draft order for Friday, and then for Saturday at the end of the draft on Friday.

How is that fair for round 1 yet then determine draft order thereafter? There's no consistency here..

Everyone seems to say hes as good as Peyton and will be better etc etc

Everyone seems to say hes as good as Peyton and will be better etc etc

Everyone? Pick me out three people who have said, as a matter of fact, Andrew Luck will be a better quarterback than Peyton Manning.

Not "could be better" because you know, he could be. So could Nick Foles. Luck could also be worse than JaMarcus. Pick me three people who say WILL be better, if "everyone" does.

Everyone? Pick me out three people who have said, as a matter of fact, Andrew Luck will be a better quarterback than Peyton Manning.

Not "could be better" because you know, he could be. So could Nick Foles. Luck could also be worse than JaMarcus. Pick me three people who say WILL be better, if "everyone" does.

I dont have the time to go through all the threads and what not

I dont have the time to go through all the threads and what not

"Everyone" says it though, so surely you only need to go back through this one to find everyone saying it? Or any other thread where everyone says it?

You had time to scour the bowels of the internet for the slightest negative comment on Luck, so surely you have time for this.

The difference one has the resume to back it up. The other has nothing.

Are we not supposed to be excited about drafting Luck? Why not? When was the last time any football player was said to be perfect by any scout?

In the article they mentioned that RGIII's ceiling is higher than Andrew Lucks. I've been hering this a lot lately. It's easy for people to say that RGIII has a higher ceiling that Andrew Luck, but I don't understand this. How do they know what their ceilings are?

For example, If peyton Manning, rather than Andrew Luck, were to be in the draft alonside RGIII, people would say that RGIII's ceiling is higher than Mannings, which we all know is ridiculous. It's based on the fact that RGIII is very atheletic, and "if he is able to hone in on his skills, become more fundamental, learn to read defenses (like Manning), then because of his superior atheletic ability, his ceiling is higher."

The quarterback position is not based on atheleticism. Those considered to be the best QB's are usually listed as: Montana, Elway, Marino, Aikman, Manning, Brady, etc... You will notice that none of them are exceedingly atheletic, by NFL standards. I think that Luck's ceiling is much higher.

yeah Ill pass on that, if that came about then its a crapshoot that we get the first pick in future drafts even if we went 0-16 and have all kinds of needs as weird as it sounds and pittiful as it sounds, the Colts earned the number one pick Id rather not lose it to do a random drawing in a sense thats like what College Football does with selecting teams to bowl games that system is crap as well, I get your excitement factor your making but just disagree with the idea

If you say the opposite isn't also true then I'd be tempted to throw the word hypocrite out there. ;) Anyone who has made even the slightest mention that Luck isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread has been met with a wall of arrogance and sarcasm by people like, well you. So heaven forbid anyone question anything about the almighty great Andrew Luck before you and the other minions run to his defense like a threat was put out on Andrew's mother. It goes both ways. ;)

No, the difference is, One is the future Colts QB and the other is 1100 miles away playing for a different franchise. If one choose's to hang onto a broken heart forever and cry in their basement all day, everyday, then thats their choice, but most of us have decided to embrace the future and get over it.

And if someone wants to create an altar of worship to Andrew Luck, offer nightly sacrifices of small animals and kiss Andrew's picture right on the lips every night before bed time then that too is their choice. Some of us still have some appreciation for the man who brought our franchise, and our city, onto the national map. There may be a select few who will never embrace Luck as our new Qb and that sadly probably has at least a little something to do with the slobbering that :"some" people have done over him for the past 6 months. However, the majority have accepted that Peyton is now with another franchise and will support Luck objectively and fairly, though without putting Andrew on the pedestal that some already have him on.

Then you weren't paying much attention back in September. Yes, people other than just that person were deifying Luck even back then. I remember one person that said that all the best QB's in the league next year will be wearing #12, referencing Brady, Rodgers and Luck. I'm sure Brees, Eli, Peyton, Stafford and a few others would at least argue that point.

Another example of someone taking a legitimate point and turning taking it to a completely absurd conclusion.

Its very simple, the source didnt have the balls to name himself and didnt name any specific legitament reason why he thought like he did he was just looking to cause a stir or was bitter- long story short it was meaningless drivvel, Ill also add I saw Polian ripping the scout a new one on espn today, that was fun to watch