Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deshaun Watson suspension expected to be 6 games - NFL appealing (edit)

IndyEric07

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not surprised that it was only six games. Watson and NFLPA threatened a lawsuit if it was a season long suspension. They probably didn't want to go to court again.  Two grand juries refused to charge Watson with a crime, so that was already in his favor. Also, there were settlements with the accusers. Everything must have been taken into consideration. 

However, if Watson was gambling, the suspension would have been much worse. Ask Calvin Ridley. 

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

Two separate grand jury's refused to charge him. Not sure whats so confusing 

6 games is probably about right in reality because no criminal charges were filed. They had to give him something somewhat lengthy though because the perception of the league would look bad. Did he break any laws, no, but as an NFL player you are held at a higher standard to have better morals. Just the way it is. I predicted 8 games so I almost nailed it. 6 games will still probably wreck the Browns season anyway, if they start 2-4 in the AFC they will be in trouble. 

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

6 games will still probably wreck the Browns season anyway, if they start 2-4 in the AFC they will be in trouble.

Nah, the first 6 games aint nothing. However he'll be released into the gauntlet AS soon as he comes back for a little over a month lol

2 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Nah, the first 6 games aint nothing. However he'll be released into the gauntlet AS soon as he comes back for a little over a month lol

Yeah he will be rusty when he comes back and when he comes back the Browns play at Ravens, then Cincy. I seen their schedule which isn't too brutal in the 1st 6 games but I see them starting 2-4 and then probably losing at Ravens and losing to Cincy. I see a 2-6 start. No way they rebound from 2-6 if that happens.

Sadly lack of evidence means this is honestly the best case scenario for the league. Hopefully this sends enough of a message to ward against such behavior in the future.

personally I would have liked to see a life time suspension but there wasn’t the evidence to support that.  6 games is at least a big enough punishment to basically waste a third year of his career. I doubt they can make a post season run without him

• Superman changed the title to Deshaun Watson suspension expected to be 6 games - NFL appealing (title edit)
  • Superman changed the title to Deshaun Watson suspension expected to be 6 games - NFL appealing (edit)

They had an independent third party -- Sue Robinson, who happens to be a former US district judge -- handle the review and make a determination. The NFL is probably going to push for a longer suspension; apparently they had asked for an indefinite suspension.

However, early reports suggest that Robinson was dissatisfied with the NFL's inclination to refer to public perception in presenting their case against Watson. There's also the fact that two grand juries declined to indict him, and there's no strong proof that Watson is guilty of serious wrongdoing. I'm personally inclined to believe that his conduct was wrong, but punishment without proof is problematic, to say the least.

6 games is better than none. Imagine had he got 2 games or 0? The outrage would have been relentless. I thought 8 games would have been fair, because half of a season would've definitely wrecked their season and teach Watson a true lesson. I still think through 8 games the best they will come out of that is 3-5 and Watson will have this lingering over him all season. I said he would get 8, I was close. I didn't think it would be more than 8 simply because no criminal charges were filed but morally he had to get something lengthy because of being an NFL player and one of the faces of the NFL.

My opinion might be a bit controversial. I kind of think the NFL has done a mockery out of apportioning punishment for variety of offenses having nothing to do with football itself. If society had stronger moral fiber, the market would take care of it. But that's not what happens. People generally don't care. We have a player on our roster with rape allegations from college. People don't care. Pretty much every team in the league has a player/executive/coach with some questionable to say the least behavior off-the-field. People don't care. People watch football for fun, not to have their joy and pastime being moralized. 

So if it were up to me - I leave everything to the legal system. If he has to go in jail - suspend him and don't pay him for the duration of that sentence. If not, let the teams take the responsibility of putting a potential serial sexual predator on the field and in their communities. Don't give them the chance to avoid accountability and responsibility, which is what they are doing now - first by deferring responsibility to the courts and then they have a second wall of protection - by deferring responsibility to the league to do their dirty job and suspend players. 

Let every team come in front of their fans and fully stand behind choices of players they put on the roster and in their local community. And if the community is OK with... so be it. At least stop with the hypocricy of actually portraying an image of caring for what's wrong and what's right. Because as it stands right now, it seems to me that no team really cares. The only determining factor is talent and how much the player will help you win. If he's good enough on the football field, he can be as horrible as he wants out of it. 

First 6 games:

I have the Browns losing at Panthers, Mayfield will chew them up based on it is his old team (that will be the 1 game he will be fired up for) and it is a road game for the Browns, Browns will also lose to the Steelers, Patriots, and Chargers as well in the 1st 6 games, JB isn't beating any of those teams. Their wins will be against the Jets and at Atlanta. That puts them 2-4 and when Watson comes back he will be rusty, he hasn't played in over a year. I see them losing at Ravens and losing to Cincy (his 1st 2 games back), I see 2-6. At that point it is curtains. The 2nd half of their schedule is rough too, games at Cincy, at Buffalo and they play the Bucs for example. Even with Watson they will be lucky to win 1 of those games. 

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Dianna Russini (ESPN) is now saying the Browns think the suspension is too long lmao . They better be careful what they try and fight because Goodell wanted a full year.

Goodell wanted indefinite. So if they get 6-17 games they’re still lucky. 

Gotta say I’m a little surprised the League is appealing this. Not sure what stands to be gained other than perception. Or is it with all the other issues and the scrutiny of the WFT stuff  that they want to appear to be coming down harder on this stuff than the past?  Either way, it’s now in Goodells hand per the CBA to decide. 

ESPN talking heads ignoring the fact that the judge basically finds him guilty, but cites all the NFL's (not arbitrator) previous 6 game penalties for violent acts and precedent already set. That's not even considering the do-nothing blind eye they gave to Kraft. In short, the dude is a scumbag, but the NFL must be consistent on scumbag treatment lol.. 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

ESPN talking heads going all woke on this ruling. Ignoring the fact that the judge basically finds him guilty, but cites all the NFL's (not arbitrator) previous 6 game penalties for violent acts and precedent already set. That's not even considering the do-nothing blind eye they gave to Kraft. In short, the dude is a scumbag, but the NFL must be consistent on scumbag treatment lol.. 

pretty much. I’m glad he at least got some sort of punishment. Though I think it’s crap the way they structured his contract to avoid taking a money hit for any suspension 

Suspensions before were handled differently than this one. So to compare, is difficult. 

On a personal level, my biggest issue is that he gets paid, regardless of what the NFL does. That would be something I would like to see changed in a CBA. 

As an NFL fan, the destroying of Patriot film evidence, the destruction of Brady's phone without consequences, and the slap on the wrist of Bobbit Kraft, all show me that power and money talks, and justice walks. This surprises me not at all. 

36 minutes ago, csmopar said:

pretty much. I’m glad he at least got some sort of punishment. Though I think it’s crap the way they structured his contract to avoid taking a money hit for any suspension 

IMO, should be a % of total contract value. That would stop teams/agents from skirting things. 

33 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Suspensions before were handled differently than this one. So to compare, is difficult. 

On a personal level, my biggest issue is that he gets paid, regardless of what the NFL does. That would be something I would like to see changed in a CBA. 

As an NFL fan, the destroying of Patriot film evidence, the destruction of Brady's phone without consequences, and the slap on the wrist of Bobbit Kraft, all show me that power and money talks, and justice walks. This surprises me not at all. 

You should read the findings. Pretty interesting. They compared suspensions going back to 2014 IIRC.

And yes, hate the hypocritical treatment of the Pats and Kraft (and others)

The NFL has a few days to appeal. If they do, will be even more of a stink. The appeals process is a sham, where Goodell becomes the judge / final say. The NFLPA would totally go off if that were to happen. It would totally wreck the spirit of the new CBA in that area (using 3rd party arbitrators). Possibly more popcorn ahead. 

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IMO, should be a % of total contract value. That would stop teams/agents from skirting things. 

You should read the findings. Pretty interesting. They compared suspensions going back to 2014 IIRC.

And yes, hate the hypocritical treatment of the Pats and Kraft (and others)

The NFL has a few days to appeal. If they do, will be even more of a stink. The appeals process is a sham, where Goodell becomes the judge / final say. The NFLPA would totally go off if that were to happen. It would totally wreck the spirit of the new CBA in that area (using 3rd party arbitrators). Possibly more popcorn ahead. 

Maybe it’s me wanting to watch the world burn but I hope he does appeal and I hope the league slams him with an indefinite suspension. Would be entertaining to watch

On 8/1/2022 at 7:56 PM, csmopar said:

Maybe it’s me wanting to watch the world burn but I hope he does appeal and I hope the league slams him with an indefinite suspension. Would be entertaining watching the NFLPA defend sexual assault in this era 

Oh I'm 1000% with you. I don't like Watson at all, but I was hoping he'd get only a few games to create a stink about the hypocrisy. I'm not really on either side (player or league), but I simply find hypocrisy unacceptable either way. I'll never feel sorry for either side lol. 

On 8/1/2022 at 8:00 PM, EastStreet said:

Oh I'm 1000% with you. I don't like Watson at all, but I was hoping he'd get only a few games to create a stink about the hypocrisy. I'm not really on either side (player or league), but I simply find hypocrisy unacceptable either way. I'll never feel sorry for either side lol. 

Completely agree.

i will say this, I admire his talent and at one point, would have loved to have him as a Colt,  but given the way he’s behaved the last few seasons, sexual scandal aside, I’m glad he hasn’t been. 

granted I’m the “let’s see the evidence” type in nearly every case, some cases the circumstantial evidence is enough to say something nefarious took place. And I think that’s what the situation we have here is. But circumstantial evidence was enough to convict Bill Cosby after decades, so who knows these days. At a minimum, Watson should be held accountable and a 6 week timeout is nothing. But we shall see. 

44 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Completely agree.

i will say this, I admire his talent and at one point, would have loved to have him as a Colt,  but given the way he’s behaved the last few seasons, sexual scandal aside, I’m glad he hasn’t been. 

granted I’m the “let’s see the evidence” type in nearly every case, some cases the circumstantial evidence is enough to say something nefarious took place. And I think that’s what the situation we have here is. But circumstantial evidence was enough to convict Bill Cosby after decades, so who knows these days. At a minimum, Watson should be held accountable and a 6 week timeout is nothing. But we shall see. 

While I agree the scummy level is high, I think some of it is a pure money grab. I wouldn't compare Cosby and Watson. Very different IMO. Watson seemed to push the envelope with his behavior. Total gross stuff, but didn't rise to the level of violence, or drugging like Cosby did. 

Just read the ruling. Here's what I got from it.

1) Preponderance of evidence leads to the conclusion that Watson more likely than not engaged in activity constituting sexual assault, conduct that endangered another person, and conduct that undermines the integrity of the league. (Watson's flat-out denial of any improper conduct was rejected.)

2) The league's history of dealing with non-violent offenders has set a precedent for punishment, with a six game suspension being "by far the most commonly-imposed discipline" for this kind of conduct. Because the league has not provided a good definition of what conduct would trigger disciplinary action, it would be considered unfair and unreasonable to apply a much harsher punishment in Watson's case simply because the NFL feels his case is especially egregious. So, six game suspension for non-violent sexual conduct is the imposed discipline in this case.

"It is inherently unfair to identify conduct as prohibited only after the conduct has been committed, just as it is inherently unjust to change the penalties for such conduct after the fact." pg 14, par 1

"Here, the NFL is attempting to impose a more dramatic shift in its culture without the benefit of fair notice to - and consistency
of consequence for - those in the NFL subject to the Policy." pg 15, par 1

12 hours ago, csmopar said:

Gotta say I’m a little surprised the League is appealing this. Not sure what stands to be gained other than perception. Or is it with all the other issues and the scrutiny of the WFT stuff  that they want to appear to be coming down harder on this stuff than the past?  Either way, it’s now in Goodells hand per the CBA to decide. 

Public image.  The NFL is getting hammered by a lot of people for six games compared to other suspensions handed down (i am talking about like Ridley getting a year for gambling not like what Big Ben got for a much more relatable offense).  Granted the NFL didn’t pick six games but not everyone has followed this that closely to know that they just see a six game suspension  and assume that’s what the league handed down.  So if the heat gets too loud Goodall can make it longer since they appealed.  If they think they can ride through it he’ll leave it where it is.  

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Public image.  The NFL is getting hammered by a lot of people for six games compared to other suspensions handed down (i am talking about like Ridley getting a year for gambling not like what Big Ben got for a much more relatable offense).  Granted the NFL didn’t pick six games but not everyone has followed this that closely to know that they just see a six game suspension  and assume that’s what the league handed down.  So if the heat gets too loud Goodall can make it longer since they appealed.  If they think they can ride through it he’ll leave it where it is.  

Very true

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can see Goodell coming out today or tomorrow and appealing this. This might become more than 6 games once he is through. I thought he would get 8 but Goodell might shoot for 10 or 12 now?? I don't think Watson is getting a full season now but it could be increased a little.

I think he’s judging the perception and outcry . I think they’ll use that before making a decision. 

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He isn't appealing.  The league is

I was talking about the report that the browns thought the 6 games was too much

10 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

That will never happen

Of course you're correct, and I was just trying to keep hope alive.

Deshaun Watson is a liar.

He should have just told the truth and, for me, his creepy lying is worse than the 'misconduct'.

I hope the NFL appeals, and that Appellant Judge Goodell suspends Watson 'indefinitely'.

Archived