Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deshaun Watson suspension expected to be 6 games - NFL appealing (edit)

IndyEric07

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

As it pertains to personal actions; philosophically, no.  At least there should be strict limits, IMO.  They are punishing people for personal conduct beyond what the people laid out in the law.  So those policies tend to supersede the will of the voters.  That's called tyranny enabled by oligarchy, IMO.  Many do it because the other company does it, because there is nobody speaking for the average person. 

Way off topic.  I'll stop now on this.  Good convo though.

Thanks for the response, yeah I lean with you on this, that organizations have way too much power lately. Good response and conversation, Doug. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, csmopar said:

I think this has more to do with the scrutiny the league is under after the light way it has dealt with these things in the recent past. Especially with being investigated by the government for allegedly covering up sex crimes. Goodell just spent hours getting raked over the coals by Congress from both sides over it.he’s under some pressure on this topic for sure.

the arbitrator used past punishments for similar events to get to the 6 games. The league quite obviously wants to be tougher than that. They had offered 12 in a settlement, but my guess is they’ll go full season now to prove the point maybe toss in a fine or two

It's still a joke given they're blowing up something that was based on their own past precedent. 

IMO, they should have just let it stand, and came out with new guidelines that were clear and more strict. 

That way, they don't look like clowns, and they'll be better off going forward without looking hypocritical. 

This is all their own making IMO. Now RG has appointed someone else to again distance himself. Still a joke.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's still a joke given they're blowing up something that was based on their own past precedent. 

IMO, they should have just let it stand, and came out with new guidelines that were clear and more strict. 

That way, they don't look like clowns, and they'll be better off going forward without looking hypocritical. 

This is all their own making IMO. Now RG has appointed someone else to again distance himself. Still a joke.

I honestly think had that judge just gave him 8 games (which is half a season at least) and fined him 5 Million dollars, the outrage by people and women would have been far less, most would have been ok with it. 6 games and no fine seems to be a slap on the wrist.

He wasn't charged criminally with anything but being one of the faces of the NFL, Watson made the league look bad. + he took advantage of a lot of women. NFL is the most popular sport in the USA, Goodell had to do something because 6 games is a very little. 8 games and a 5 million dollar fine at least makes statement. I can see not going more than 8 games because nothing criminal happened by law.

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Sure it is. But let’s also not forget, there has been zero precedent for the sheer number of victims. That is the difference between him and say Rothesberger 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I honestly think had that judge just gave him 8 games (which is half a season at least) and fined him 5 Million dollars, the outrage by people and women would have been far less, most would have been ok with it. 6 games and no fine seems to be a slap on the wrist.

He wasn't charged criminally with anything but being one of the faces of the NFL, Watson made the league look bad. + he took advantage of a lot of women. NFL is the most popular sport in the USA, Goodell had to do something because 6 games is a very little. 8 games and a 5 million dollar fine at least makes statement. I can see not going more than 8 games because nothing criminal happened by law.

I'll just say that the NFL made the NFL look bad. Watson was only the latest means in a long history of issues lol...

I agree he should have been fined a big amount, IMO, close to a year or at least half a year of the average of his new salary. 

I predicted a lower amount of games by the arbitrator given past precedent. I was correct. The NFLPA has another day to respond in writing to the appeal. Will be interesting to see the continued chaos. Hope it gets stinkier lol.... 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'll just say that the NFL made the NFL look bad. Watson was only the latest means in a long history of issues lol...

I agree he should have been fined a big amount, IMO, close to a year or at least half a year of the average of his new salary. 

I predicted a lower amount of games by the arbitrator given past precedent. I was correct. The NFLPA has another day to respond in writing to the appeal. Will be interesting to see the continued chaos. Hope it gets stinkier lol.... 

Oh it is about to get real stinky School Teacher GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Sure it is. But let’s also not forget, there has been zero precedent for the sheer number of victims. That is the difference between him and say Rothesberger 

The problem is, it's all civil, nothing criminal. And the Texans look to be complicit in some of this, which nothing seems to be happening to them. And the Kraft case going totally undisciplined still looms large. Got my popcorn ready for the NFLPA response. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

The problem is, it's all civil, nothing criminal. And the Texans look to be complicit in some of this, which nothing seems to be happening to them. And the Kraft case going totally undisciplined still looms large. Got my popcorn ready for the NFLPA response. 

Oh it’s gonna get interesting for sure. I don’t know where this ends up but it speaks volumes for sure. 

and last I knew, they were investigating the Texans too, so they may not get off the hook here either. Wait and see

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Bring on the stink....

The stink, in a way, brought us Ryan lol... let's not forget. 

Would be the most Brown thing ever, sign a QB to a fully guaranteed contract, have him suspended for at least a year. Only way this gets even more browns like  is if Brissett lights the world on fire up there, gets them deep into the playoffs some how. Then they have one hell of a QB dilemma 

Just now, csmopar said:

Would be the most Brown thing ever, sign a QB to a fully guaranteed contract, have him suspended for at least a year. Only way this gets better is if Brissett lights the world on fire up there, gets them deep into the playoffs some how. Then they have one hell of a QB dilemma 

I like Brissett, I thought he performed at a top 15 level in 2019 for 7 games. We were 5-2 and he had big games vs the Falcons and Texans, a big throw vs the Broncos too. Hell we even won at KC with him lmao . In reality though he showed his true colors and proved to be just a great backup that could look great for a game or 2 if starting. I am rooting for him in Cleveland though because it would be hilarious if he played great for 4 or 5 weeks in a row. I would love to have him as a backup if I was starting a team, that is why Cleveland has him.

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Would be the most Brown thing ever, sign a QB to a fully guaranteed contract, have him suspended for at least a year. Only way this gets even more browns like  is if Brissett lights the world on fire up there, gets them deep into the playoffs some how. Then they have one hell of a QB dilemma 

It's a very good roster, but doubt JB sets the world on fire.

Browns should go after Minshew. At least he'd be fun and could run the same O as DW. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. I remember when Reggie Miller said that when they beat the Knicks in 7 games in 1995 by 2 points in Game 7 :thmup:

We were due a little luck. 

I'll take it. And I certainly won't complain. 

29 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's a very good roster, but doubt JB sets the world on fire.

Browns should go after Minshew. At least he'd be fun and could run the same O as DW. 

Oh I doubt it as well but you have to admit, it would be comical 

On 8/3/2022 at 9:06 AM, Nadine said:

As a woman, the fact that a team was willing to hire him and fans are willing to watch him is disturbing.

It seems pretty clear he's a predator

I don't know, but perhaps beef up the conduct policy or just chuck it and hire anybody

I know this view might rub some folks the wrong way but he was acquitted of all criminal charges. Settling out of court doesn’t make you guilty, he could just have settled to make all of this to go away as soon as possible (unlikely but possible).?If he committed these acts that he is accused of then I hope he is punished to the fullest extent possible, but at this time there is no actual hard Evidence that he did anything which is why he wasn’t criminally charged. We don’t know his side of the story and many don’t know the accusers side of the story either. All we know at this moment is what we are told by the media pundits. Im not trying to defend him or his actions in any way and I feel awful for his victims if what they say is true. I just think the court of public opinion can be a dangerous, toxic, echo-chamber, that is usually triggered by emotion and may not always be rooted in fact.

38 minutes ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

I know this view might rub some folks the wrong way but he was acquitted of all criminal charges. Settling out of court doesn’t make you guilty, he could just have settled to make all of this to go away as soon as possible (unlikely but possible).?If he committed these acts that he is accused of then I hope he is punished to the fullest extent possible, but at this time there is no actual hard Evidence that he did anything which is why he wasn’t criminally charged. We don’t know his side of the story and many don’t know the accusers side of the story either. All we know at this moment is what we are told by the media pundits. Im not trying to defend him or his actions in any way and I feel awful for his victims if what they say is true. I just think the court of public opinion can be a dangerous, toxic, echo-chamber, that is usually triggered by emotion and may not always be rooted in fact.

I think it's pretty obvious he's pretty icky regardless of legal finding. While I think some of the plaintiffs are likely chasing money, I'm sure there were several that were treated in a manner they should not have been. Perhaps the behavior was not violent, or rise to level of more serious crime like rape or physical violence, but it was inappropriate at minimum. The problem I have with it, is the plaintiffs not reporting it real time. I don't think he should lose his career over it, but he should have at minimum got a hefty fine along with half year at minimum (more had their not been precedent). It is however a little hard to stomach all the woke folks on ESPN who turn a blind eye to many other things. 

3 hours ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

Actually, Watson wasn’t acquitted of anything.    Acquitted would mean there was a trial and he was found not guilty.   That’s not what happened.  A grand jury decided against bringing charges, and on a local level that kind of thing can get wrapped up in politics.   Local quarterback and hometown hero.   So Watson wasn’t charged.   That’s very different than being acquitted. 

Also, the standard for being suspended by the Commish, or an impartial person, isn’t have you done something illegal or criminal.   It’s have you done anything to embarrass the league.   And I think the league has a strong case that Watson stained the league in a way no one else has done before.  

As for settling with these women…. Watson might be on better footing with the league had he settled 6 months ago.   But this happening as late in the process as it has feels way too little way too late. 

13 hours ago, csmopar said:

Long shot of that happening.   Now what would be good, if Watson is out for the season, would be Brissett leading the Browns to a .500 record and giving them a draft pick in the mid teens.  It's a bummer to have a wasted season and not get a high draft pick out of it. 

21 minutes ago, Myles said:

Long shot of that happening.   Now what would be good, if Watson is out for the season, would be Brissett leading the Browns to a .500 record and giving them a draft pick in the mid teens.  It's a bummer to have a wasted season and not get a high draft pick out of it. 

Browns traded their next 3 years worth of 1st round picks + more in the deal for Watson. They don't have a first round pick now, or in the forseeable future.

13 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Browns traded their next 3 years worth of 1st round picks + more in the deal for Watson. They don't have a first round pick now, or in the forseeable future.

Thanks, but I'll be rooting for them to win several games even more now.  The Colts do not need the Texans to have multiple 1st round picks in the top ten.  

9 minutes ago, Myles said:

Thanks, but I'll be rooting for them to win several games even more now.  The Colts do not need the Texans to have multiple 1st round picks in the top ten.  

Same here for that reason. Hope the Browns go one and done in the playoffs.

7 hours ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear

15 hours ago, csmopar said:

The most Browns thing to happen would be pay 250 million for Watson, and then turn around and pay another obscene amount of money for Jimmy G. 

2 hours ago, Nadine said:

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear

I’m not so sure that it is. If it was so clear don’t you think he would be arrested? If it was so clear wouldn’t the judge sue Robinson suspended him for more than 6 games? My gut says he totally did it and he is a pile of human manure, But I was not there I didn’t witness it and I assume you were not either. Without any real hard evidence I can not say that he should be put in prison or suspended from the league indefinitely. That’s a slippery slope when we start ruining lives based on speculation and emotional knee jerk reactions instead of facts and evidence.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Actually, Watson wasn’t acquitted of anything.    Acquitted would mean there was a trial and he was found not guilty.   That’s not what happened.  A grand jury decided against bringing charges, and on a local level that kind of thing can get wrapped up in politics.   Local quarterback and hometown hero.   So Watson wasn’t charged.   That’s very different than being acquitted. 

Also, the standard for being suspended by the Commish, or an impartial person, isn’t have you done something illegal or criminal.   It’s have you done anything to embarrass the league.   And I think the league has a strong case that Watson stained the league in a way no one else has done before.  

As for settling with these women…. Watson might be on better footing with the league had he settled 6 months ago.   But this happening as late in the process as it has feels way too little way too late. 

Thank you for the correction, I should have said his charges were dropped, not acquitted.

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

The most Browns thing to happen would be pay 250 million for Watson, and then turn around and pay another obscene amount of money for Jimmy G. 

Jimmy G to the Browns would be a Browns move, what is funny is, he would probably get them to a 9-8 record at worse playing a full season in a deep AFC keeping them competitive. They have a very good defense  and a great running game. jimmy g 49ers GIF

21 minutes ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

I’m not so sure that it is. If it was so clear don’t you think he would be arrested? If it was so clear wouldn’t the judge sue Robinson suspended him for more than 6 games? My gut says he totally did it and he is a pile of human manure, But I was not there I didn’t witness it and I assume you were not either. Without any real hard evidence I can not say that he should be put in prison or suspended from the league indefinitely. That’s a slippery slope when we start ruining lives based on speculation and emotional knee jerk reactions instead of facts and evidence.

Disagree with all of this.

18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still think this would of been perfect punishment/outcome (above post) and then everyone could've moved on and lived with it, but what do I know??

27 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Disagree with all of this.

That’s great! You have every right to disagree with me! Care to explain why? Or show any evidence to what brought you to this conclusion? Because short of click bait articles (which are obviously loaded in facts) I have yet to see an ounce of evidence. Like I said if he did what he said they did, that is awful and he deserves to be made an example.

1 hour ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

That’s a slippery slope when we start ruining lives based on speculation and emotional knee jerk reactions instead of facts and evidence.

Situations like this are hard to provide evidence. That's why it's so tragic and difficult to deal with. In the case of sexual assault, everyone loses. It's a slippery slope also in terms of the victim's rights. When victims are publicly demonized as liars, it causes future victims to think twice about reporting their own assaults. This leads to fewer cases being reported and empowers future criminals. This is all a major mess. 

None of this is a good situation for the public or the league. It feels like there is far more at stake here then just Watson's football career (of which I could care less). 

What is missing throughout this story is why does Watson need to visit so many spas? Regardless of what transpires why is he  seeing so many different ladies? If I found a legitimate person I would call on her every time. He needs to seek professional counseling and why hasn't the NFL demanded he do so? Something smells about this whole story.

Archived