Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I think the Colts just got a leg up for the AFC South

carmelcolt

I see the Titans just traded AJ Brown to the eagles and drafted Trey Burks. Brown was a thorn in the side of the Colts and it seems the Colts like everyone else had trouble guarding him. Not sure if Burks will be as good as Brown or maybe he will be better. Time will tell on that, but that takes a major weapon away from them when we play them twice a year. :rock:

6 minutes ago, carmelcolt said:

I see the Titans just traded AJ Brown to the eagles and drafted Trey Burks. Brown was a thorn in the side of the Colts and it seems the Colts like everyone else had trouble guarding him. Not sure if Burks will be as good as Brown or maybe he will be better. Time will tell on that, but that takes a major weapon away from them when we play them twice a year. :rock:

The chance of Burks being better than Brown are extremely low. There's a very good chance he busts, and there's also a very good chance that he's an average WR. He'd probably have to be the best WR in this class to be better than Brown, and I doubt that is the case. Titans fans are livid at that trade.

8 minutes ago, carmelcolt said:

Maybe we’ll see

I went to their message board to gage opinion when he was traded. Mostly meltdown but some thought it wasn't a bad deal, but Burks will have to prove it on the field. Frankly I think they should have kept Brown, he was a proven player, but yay for us.

Yeah great for us to get Brown out the division. One of my closest friends lives in Tennessee and is a Titans fan, and they are livid. Also glad Jaguars went with Walker over Hutchinson. They also traded up for Lloyd and not a WR so that’s great too.

We'll see. It's a risk. Tennessee has a strong run game as their foundation, they're going to be asking Burks to win in ways he did at Arkansas. There's an element of risk in these actions but with the way WRs have fared coming out over the last couple years, i think Burks stands as good a chance as any other wideout in the first round of exceeding expectations simply because he is going to an organization with everything in place for him to fly.

I wouldn't write songs of victory just yet. I think the AFCS could low-key be a rock fight this year. Indy will have to man up to win this division. None of all those false starts, slow starts, dumb mistakes. We need to play like a 12 win team from day 1 to win this division, Brown or no Brown.

57 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah great for us to get Brown out the division. One of my closest friends lives in Tennessee and is a Titans fan, and they are livid. Also glad Jaguars went with Walker over Hutchinson. They also traded up for Lloyd and not a WR so that’s great too.

Titan's fans were assuring everyone that Brown was not on the trading block. Vrabel even said he wouldn't be traded as long as he was HC lol. They are in shock this morning! :D

I’m glad he’s out of the AFC.

Also, I was watching on the NFL Network.  It was pretty evident that those “insiders” like Rappaport, had no more inside information than me or you.  I think teams use them to get their propaganda out.

Even right before the first pick they all said it was going to be Hutchinson.  Davis said the Jags didn’t need a guy like Walker.  They cut to Rap and he said all week the Jags talked Hutch.  

I like those guys, I respect Jeremiah the most.  But it’s clear their ratings of players don’t jive with the teams, most of the time.  

28 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

We'll see. It's a risk. Tennessee has a strong run game as their foundation, they're going to be asking Burks to win in ways he did at Arkansas. There's an element of risk in these actions but with the way WRs have fared coming out over the last couple years, i think Burks stands as good a chance as any other wideout in the first round of exceeding expectations simply because he is going to an organization with everything in place for him to fly.

I wouldn't write songs of victory just yet. I think the AFCS could low-key be a rock fight this year. Indy will have to man up to win this division. None of all those false starts, slow starts, dumb mistakes. We need to play like a 12 win team from day 1 to win this division, Brown or no Brown.

I agree we still have to play complementary great football and I wasn’t saying the afc south is a given. I guess what I mean is I’m glad brown  is out of the division instead of having to face him twice a year, that should help the colts.

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Also, I was watching on the NFL Network.  It was pretty evident that those “insiders” like Rappaport, had no more inside information than me or you.  I think teams use them to get their propaganda out.

Even right before the first pick they all said it was going to be Hutchinson.  Davis said the Jags didn’t need a guy like Walker.  They cut to Rap and he said all week the Jags talked Hutch.  

I like those guys, I respect Jeremiah the most.  But it’s clear their ratings of players don’t jive with the teams, most of the time.  

Draft heads are looking at draftability, and hype, and program strength and a bunch of other factors that make it hard to be objective. Scouting is HARD. Reporting is HARD. Analyzing is HARD. Knowing the strengths and weaknesses of teams, as well as the way a GM builds his draft board is asking a lot. At the end of the day, the business is about entertainment, and these insiders work that line.

Glad AJ got paid and is some other division's problem. My optimism is quite though. Burks can play. TN knows what they are doing, that GM is good, that HC is good. So, we'll see.

4 minutes ago, carmelcolt said:

I agree we still have to play complementary great football and I wasn’t saying the afc south is a given. I guess what I mean is I’m glad brown  is out of the division instead of having to face him twice a year, that should help the colts.

Yeah i hear ya. Better to face just Burks and Henry instead of Henry, Burks AND AJ

1 minute ago, runthepost said:

Gotta remember Tenn traded for Robert Woods

I forgot that until this morning.  Woods is good and always underrated.  Glad Brown is gone, but Woods and Burks can still be a nasty duo.  Just gotta see how Woods comes back from injury and if Burks pans out.  Guess it could go either way.

2 hours ago, carmelcolt said:

In 6 career games against the Colts, Brown had:

21 catches

344 yards

2 TDs

I'm not sure he was a thorn in our side...

6 minutes ago, ColtsSouljah said:

21 catches

344 yards

2 TDs

Right stats say that, but how did the colts game plan for him? Did they always put there best corner on him, make sure you have a safety over the top to help? He’s gone and unless burks comes out with guns ablazing then that is just another player we do not have to game plan for. Again stats aside I’m glad he’s gone from our division and in my opinion it just helps the colts. There are still many unknowns with the AFCS that’s why they play the games. Btw Jags and Texans picked up some good players, I just wish the jags would have kept Meyer as HC that sure would have helped Indy

Well, if you listened to Vrabel he sounded very upset Brown is gone.. he said he (and TN) did everything they could to try to keep him there..

That said, Brown is a star... but, the Titans are built on a very solid D and a run in down your throat offense.  I don't think Woods and Burks will be as good as Brown/Jones, but they really don't have to be, IMO, for them to be a dangerous team... if Henry comes back healthy, they'll be a problem.

I'm optimistic that with our additions (and with more to come) we will be very competitive in the AFC South (I think we need to get some wr and te help for sure).... but, I wouldn't go as far as believing the loss of 1 player (not named Henry) on a team that has owned the afc s the past few years is going to make them drop off the map and not be a problem for us.

I just got off the phone with my uncle who lives in KY, a diehard Titans fan since the McNair days. He still talks about how the 99 SB hurts him lmao . He is so mad the Titans traded Brown that he said he damn near broke a lamp haha , He is 60 years old, I am only 50. Passionate fans. He told me congrats on the division title in 2022 because now you even have a better QB. He had me rolling just now.

51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just got off the phone with my uncle who lives in KY, a diehard Titans fan since the McNair days. He still talks about how the 99 SB hurts him lmao . He is so mad the Titans traded Brown that he said he damn near broke a lamp haha , He is 60 years old, I am only 50. Passionate fans. He told me congrats on the division title in 2022 because now you even have a better QB. He had me rolling just now.

Meh I think that’s an overreaction, Titans lost Henry for much of the season and still beat us. Henry is what their offense is built around. Losing brown is not that big of a deal to them 

Titans will remain a tough out.  Remember they added Woods so while AJ gets subtracted they're still going to draw some good matchups and they're a tough/balanced offense on top of that.

What I took away from last night was that the Jaguars may have made a big mistake taking Walker at 1 overall.  I say that because Hutchinson is going to be outstanding from day one and will give Detroit high yield production, while Walker, well, we will see.  Walker may of course end up being amazing.  But I would have been way more concerned with seeing that defense add Hutch.

While it might be a hiccup for this coming season, avoiding the huge payment to a player that is not really your core identity (its defense and running game), is a good move, IMO.  They just drafted Brown's replacement and added some picks to get even better on D or to add a smaller speedy WR that they have never really had.

1 hour ago, ColtsSouljah said:

21 catches

344 yards

2 TDs

A lot of this has to do with the fact that NFL rookies usually don't come ready. Brown has been a beast against us in his recent games, but needed some time to acclimatize in the league. That's why the average is "average".

Btw this Titans move along with the above stat line strengthens my belief in Ballard's team building philosophy. The Titans were forced to let Brown go because they couldn't afford to pay him. Why? Because they signed Bud Dupree (19M cap hit in 2022), traded for Woods (10M hit in 2022 and 13+ beyong), Julio (11.3M cap hit in 2022 and is not even with the team any more)  etc. They signed / traded for "B" players for "A" money, and the result is, they can't afford to keep their own "A" player. Who do you want to pay big money for? Free agents, who a) are usually overpriced, b) represent higher risk (because they played for a different team, maybe in different scheme, under different coaches, etc.) or you own stars, who a) you have the chance to get a bit better deal because you can negotiate with them when no other team can and b) represent lesser risk because they are local, they have proven themselves here, know the system, know the coaches, etc. 

Of course there's always 2 sides of the coin. Sometimes you have (and should) sign free agents. Expensive ones too. But as a general approach, I'm a big fan of focusing on the draft, paying our own, proven guys, and be cautious when we go out and sign a free agent. Especially during the first few "chaotic" days, when all bad or desperate GM's are still out on the market, who are willing to bid beyond "sanity". Don't race with them.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

While it might be a hiccup for this coming season, avoiding the huge payment to a player that is not really your core identity (its defense and running game), is a good move, IMO.  They just drafted Brown's replacement and added some picks to get even better on D or to add a smaller speedy WR that they have never really had.

Yup.

They wanted to keep him but for what they're doing, as you rightly surmised, you don't break the bank for that. Now, our philosophy differs slightly in that if a player proves himself worth it ie elite, regardless of position, the odds are we'll pay him.

I wouldn't dance on the Titans grave just yet. We gotta go out and win, and we have not done that in a minute. Heck, the last time we won the division, RBs were still valued highly and the WR market wasn't this insanity it is now.

**btw, simple economics suggests that the bottom is going to drop out of this WR market soon. The guys who are due need to push their case today! They need to look at what happened to RBs and understand that they'll be next. The college game is pushing out many guys who're ready to start from day 1. This bubble is bursting sooner rather than later. Too much supply.

19 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Meh I think that’s an overreaction, Titans lost Henry for much of the season and still beat us. Henry is what their offense is built around. Losing brown is not that big of a deal to them 

My uncle begs to differ and he also thinks Taylor is just as great as Henry is. That is coming from a Titans fan that has rubbed my nose in the cow patties of Kentucky for the last 2 years. After the Titans lost to Cincy in the playoffs, my uncle even said Tannehill needs to go, I said I knew that 2 years ago after their 1 and done vs the Ravens in 2020 lmao 

11 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

**btw, simple economics suggests that the bottom is going to drop out of this WR market soon. The guys who are due need to push their case today! They need to look at what happened to RBs and understand that they'll be next. The college game is pushing out many guys who're ready to start from day 1. This bubble is bursting sooner rather than later. Too much supply.

Its interesting to see that the teams who were supposedly nearly desperate for WR help...GB and KC....who traded away their stars did not see the need to resupply the talent they lost immediately.  They drafted other positions...defensive mainly.  Those two teams were probably two of the more pass happy or QB/pass reliant teams in the NFL and they seem to have lowered the priority of the WR relative to other things compared to these teams who are now going all in.   TEN also.  Maybe the "smarter" teams have already begun to devalue the position relative to a few days ago.

For every trade of a star and team placing a high value on that player, there is another side of the transaction.  Its interesting to see that the playoff teams or "smarter" teams are the ones avoiding the price escalation.

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Brown also missed 7 games the past two years. They might have had reservations about his injury potential.

But there is a clear trend that some teams don't want to pay WRs...and some do.

For Brown, they got a mid-1st round WR (at least in this draft) and a 3rd round pick. With some other maneuvers, they have three picks today (#35,#69, #90). This draft could reshape their offense. I wouldn't even be surprised to see a WR double dip...or another pass catcher...or possibly even a top RB.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

They didn't even talk about the trades. It was like they didn't know.

Just now, BlackTiger said:

Brown wanted too much money and they already replaced him.  i dont think its as big of a win for us as most people seem to

That rook may end up being good for them but for next year I think it is a win for us. It could change after that but Brown caught a lot of important passes from Tannehill in clutch situations last year. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That rook may end up being good for them but for next year I think it is a win for us. It could change after that but Brown caught a lot of important passes from Tannehill in clutch situations last year. 

If they draft Skyy Moore with pick 35, TEN is going to be a tough Out later in the season.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If they draft Skyy Moore with pick 35, TEN is going to be a tough Out later in the season.

They need more help on their O line than we do.  It doesn't help having a blazer if your line can't keep your QB upright long enough for him to get open.

I think we're seeing the pattern though.  Teams that have WRs or RBs wanting to get big bucks after their rookie contracts, they're going to get dealt.  Those positions are pretty much disposable anymore.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Back to back wr in rounds 1 and 2?

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

They need more help on their O line than we do.  It doesn't help having a blazer if your line can't keep your QB upright long enough for him to get open.

I think we're seeing the pattern though.  Teams that have WRs or RBs wanting to get big bucks after their rookie contracts, they're going to get dealt.  Those positions are pretty much disposable anymore.

Not disposable to the teams that are trading for them 

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Isn't one of their OTs coming back this year from an injury suffered last year?  Lewan?...my memory is gone.

I'm not saying that they will draft Moore.  I just don't think they lost a lot of players from their playoff team last season that needs to be replaced.

They could go speedy little guy at pick 69 or 90 instead.

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Back to back wr in rounds 1 and 2?

Not disposable to the teams that are trading for them 

Right.  You need to have a team with a lot of cap willing to take the proven guy.  But a lot of teams are just going to get the rookie to replace that guy when he wants the big contract.

RBs are a little different.  If they do great during their rookie contract, you want to pay them.  But realistically, how long do they last?  For every Frank Gore there are a hundred guys who are backups by their fourth year.

I wonder how many RBs got a second contract with the team that drafted them right now?  Maybe 10?

It was a lateral move at best.,..and that's if Burks is as good as Brown, which is unlikely.

They used a 1st round pick to save money(not paying Brown) instead of improving team.

But they do have additional picks to add weapons and will have more money to spend.

There are still 6 rounds left and we haven't even picked yet..... Victory dances should be put on hold for now. :D

3 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

watch out for the jags with 2 trevors

Archived