Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NCF's Targets for R's 2, 3 and 4.


Recommended Posts

  • NewColtsFan changed the title to NCF's Targets for R's 2, 3 and 4.

Nice effort. I think there is a chance they could go LT as well if there is someone they like. Thinking of the Smith kid from Tulsa in the 2nd or possible Abraham Lucas in the second or third.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Hark said:

Nice effort. I think there is a chance they could go LT as well if there is someone they like. Thinking of the Smith kid from Tulsa in the 2nd or possible Abraham Lucas in the second or third.


I think this is where my wish list could easily  fall apart.   The unexpected, at least for me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I try and envision what positions we draft  I look and see who on current roster is locked in

 

I agree wr round 2 unless McBride is there and think we take him if so. I like Shakir not sure he falls to round 3

 

QB- Ryan locked. Sam and Morgan likely have to fend off a QB so (we take a QB late 179/216)

WR-Pitt,Campbell,Dulin,Patmon,Strachan locked. Coutee and Harris likely bubbled out so ( we draft a WR and likely early 42/73)

TE-Granson and MAC locked. Everyone else fighting for P.S. as (we draft a TE likely early 42/73)

RB-Taylor and Hines locked. Jackson battling for a spot or p.s so (we draft a rb mid to late 159/179)

Oline-Pryor,Q,Kelly,Pinter,Smith,Fries locked. Murray,Coleman,Kemp,O'Donnell all battling (we draft an O line early to mid 122/159)

 

Dline-Paye,Stewart,lewis,Buckner,Ngakoue,Dayo,Williams locked. Banogu,Cline,McIntosh all battling (we take 2 d line mid to late 159/179/216)

LB-Okereke,Leonard,Franklin,Speed,King all locked. Jefferson and Glasgow fight for final spot ( we dont draft any LB)

CB-Gillmore,Moore,Rodgers,Facyson all locked. Tell,Chesley,Wilcox,Brown and Myers fight for final 2 spots (we draft a cb late 239)

S-McLeod,Willis,Blackmon,Watts all locked. Redmon next man up (we dont draft any Safetys)

LS-Rhodes locked

P-Sanchez locked

K-Hot Rod battles Verity for a spot

 

So I expect those 8 spots to be drafted. We currently have 7 picks so we acquire 1 more through trade along the way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some personal favorites and draft crushes of mine on your list!

 

 

Here's a short list of players I'd like to see with Indy

 

R2 Targets:

Alec Pierce WR Cincinnati

George Pickens WR Georgia

Jalen Tolbert WR S Alabama

Christian Watson WR NDSU

Roger McCreary CB Auburn

Nik Bonitto EDGE Oklahoma

Matt Corral QB Ole Miss

Channing Tindall LB Georgia

Darrian Beavers LB Cincinatti

 

R3 Targets: 

Greg Dulcich TE UCLA

Cade Otton TE Washington

Martin Emerson CB Miss State

Tariq Woolen CB UTSA

Bryan Cook S Cincinnati 

Perrion Winfrey IDL Oklahoma

Rasheed Walker OT Penn State

Nicholas Petit-Frere OT Ohio State

Khalil Shakir WR Boise State

Romeo Doubs WR Nevada

Kyle Phillips WR UCLA

 

R4 Targets: 

Cordale Flott CB LSU

Bo Melton WR Rutgers

Tyquan Thornton WR Baylor

Velus Jones WR Tennessee

Chig Okonkwo TE Maryland

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m thinking that those expecting a TE early in this draft are going to be disappointed.  We drafted Granson last year, and he progressed a little.  I think he’s the only TE that CB has ever drafted.  And MAC signed a 3-year contract, didn’t he?  Green has spent two full years on the PS…I bet he fills out depth between Green, Wolf, and Jacobson.

 

Talk about a sneaky need - keep your eyes on DT.  Williams and McIntosh are the only backups (other than Dayo and Tyquan shifting inside on occasion).

 

And I agree with @Hark above - Tyler Smith of Tulsa is now on my mock @42.  He’s gonna be a heck of a lineman soon…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Archer said:

I’m thinking that those expecting a TE early in this draft are going to be disappointed.  We drafted Granson last year, and he progressed a little.  I think he’s the only TE that CB has ever drafted.  And MAC signed a 3-year contract, didn’t he?  Green has spent two full years on the PS…I bet he fills out depth between Green, Wolf, and Jacobson.

 

Talk about a sneaky need - keep your eyes on DT.  Williams and McIntosh are the only backups (other than Dayo and Tyquan shifting inside on occasion).

 

And I agree with @Hark above - Tyler Smith of Tulsa is now on my mock @42.  He’s gonna be a heck of a lineman soon…

MAC is more of a blocking TE though. He’s not a great separator, and he’s kind of slow. Granson was only a 4th round pick, and I doubt he’s getting handed the job. Plus Ballard has been talking about us needing a receiving TE even with him on the roster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

MAC is more of a blocking TE though. He’s not a great separator, and he’s kind of slow. Granson was only a 4th round pick, and I doubt he’s getting handed the job. Plus Ballard has been talking about us needing a receiving TE even with him on the roster.

I haven’t read that quote from Ballard.  I did see one saying that we needed to get better throwing over the middle of the field.  I took it as referring more to the slot receiver spot, but realized he could also be talking about TE.  Honestly, I kind of blame the OC for not utilizing the TEs more…. They were definitely invisible most of last year, but I’d have a lot of priorities above TE.  I don’t draft one in my current mock…

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm beginning to think that our acquisition of Gilmore allowed us to pull Corner off of our draft needs table.  Which allows us to potentially double up on Receiver in the draft.  Looks like every receiver in the NFL is giving notice to their respective teams that they want QB money.  A.J. Brown just became the latest.  IMO, it's only a matter of time before Pittman follows suit.

The only way out of this mess is to have lots of receivers on their rookie contracts.

So....

Round 2 - Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn St

Round 3 - Greg Dulcich, TE, UCLA

Round 4 - Dave Bell, WR, Purdue

I would seriously go nuts if that's how our draft shook out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm beginning to think that our acquisition of Gilmore allowed us to pull Corner off of our draft needs table.  Which allows us to potentially double up on Receiver in the draft.  Looks like every receiver in the NFL is giving notice to their respective teams that they want QB money.  A.J. Brown just became the latest.  IMO, it's only a matter of time before Pittman follows suit.

The only way out of this mess is to have lots of receivers on their rookie contracts.

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about how this is going to push WRs up draft boards.  Christian Watson is my fondest draft hope, but I don’t expect him to be there at 42 anymore.  I’m not too fond of that next tier of outside WR either.  I’m thinking about targeting a slot receiver later in the draft now (like Calvin Austin in the 3rd or Bo Melton in the 5th), and looking at outside WRs next year…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with the idea of targeting rounds for specific positions.  It recognizes the talent of the roster at those positions and how draft talent tends to diminish as the draft progresses.

 

I like how the positions are ranked, and the players ranked within the positions.  Nice job.

 

I also agree that DT could sneak in there...not sure what Gus thinks of our group.  And I would like to have a bigger RB for short yardage and pounding the rock if we have a lead...but I don't think there is a chance of that happening in rounds 2 through 4.

 

I also would not discount Sam Howell in round 2, if he's there, and shifting all of the positions one round lower.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think a very intriguing name for us would be Metchie, I doubt we target him because he doesn’t fit our mold for WRs but with his route running and high IQ combined with Reggie Wayne as his coach I think he could develop into a very good player. Now with his late season injury I think he has a wide range of when he gets drafted depending on how teams evaluate his recovery. 
 

I also see you mentioned Joshua Williams      Fayetville St. which he seems to fit who Ballard may target at CB  He had a good Senior Bowl, has great physical traits but is coming from a D2 school and will need time to develop. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


I think this is where my wish list could easily  fall apart.   The unexpected, at least for me. 

Not sure how LT would be viewed as unexpected. It's a pretty glaring need. I'd say even more than CB now that we have Gilmore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Not sure how LT would be viewed as unexpected. It's a pretty glaring need. I'd say even more than CB now that we have Gilmore.


You’re correct.   But it’s unexpected for me.  And that’s because I don’t believe there’s a LT available at pick 42 that can help us this year.   Hard for me to see us taking a player with our first overall pick who won’t help us this year.  
 

I think if we take a developmental LT that might happen on Day 3.   
 

Sorry I wasn’t more clear. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Pickens is starting to grow on me. He looks and plays like a true number 1 receiver. I think he could be the teams’s X receiver, and Pittman could be a big slot.

Pickens would have been a top 10-15 pick if he didn't get injured IMO. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2022 at 10:50 AM, Zoltan said:

I think a very intriguing name for us would be Metchie, I doubt we target him because he doesn’t fit our mold for WRs but with his route running and high IQ combined with Reggie Wayne as his coach I think he could develop into a very good player. Now with his late season injury I think he has a wide range of when he gets drafted depending on how teams evaluate his recovery. 
 

I also see you mentioned Joshua Williams      Fayetville St. which he seems to fit who Ballard may target at CB  He had a good Senior Bowl, has great physical traits but is coming from a D2 school and will need time to develop. 

Why wouldn't he fit our model for WRs?  I think he'd be a very good fit and an early contributor if healthy fast enough because of the route running.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I read after top 3 LTs. There isn't much difference clear to round 4 for LTs. TE is almost same value to round 4 or 5 as well. 6 WRs than talent drops off but is still good, slowly getting worse but 7th wr talent is as good as most years 4th round. DE all round talent ends at 1st round but pure pass rushers are around till round 5. Most years DE are run stoppers with pass rush upside that never developed. 

With that said if 1 of the receivers drop to day 2 we trade up and get. Other than that I trade 2nd pick and grab as many late 3rd early 4th as we can get.

I want Troy Anderson, LB. 4th round pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great post

 

There are a few folks that I would be happy with at 42

I would agree that McBride would be a good pickup

 

He SEEMS to be an advanced player that could start right away

 

Part of me thinks that we move back the 42 pick to 50s , and pick up a 4th (or a late 3rd)

 

McBride could STILL be on the board 

 

If he isnt.... there SHOULD be one or two from your list that we could still get (Tolbert seems to be a late 2nd value)

 

Its seems like a Ballard move to get extra picks

 

We DO need some depth on OL and DL

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/19/2022 at 12:33 PM, stitches said:

Pickens would have been a top 10-15 pick if he didn't get injured IMO. 

Most of the draft sites I follow had him as WR1 before the injury last spring. He’s got size and speed you want, plus his route running and YAC ability are underrated. Saw him running some curl routes and his feet are ridiculous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Most of the draft sites I follow had him as WR1 before the injury last spring. He’s got size and speed you want, plus his route running and YAC ability are underrated. Saw him running some curl routes and his feet are ridiculous.

I think he goes before us.....

 

I think Sky Moore goes before us......

 

If Dotson is still there (I estimate 25% chance)

 

These 3 are difference makers..... CB is just not going with a WR pick that is 20 picks later on his board

 

If they are gone, and the the rest of the early WRs are gone.....  I hope we trade back

 

And get McBride

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2022 at 8:07 AM, John Hammonds said:

I'm beginning to think that our acquisition of Gilmore allowed us to pull Corner off of our draft needs table.  Which allows us to potentially double up on Receiver in the draft.  Looks like every receiver in the NFL is giving notice to their respective teams that they want QB money.  A.J. Brown just became the latest.  IMO, it's only a matter of time before Pittman follows suit.

The only way out of this mess is to have lots of receivers on their rookie contracts.

So....

Round 2 - Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn St

Round 3 - Greg Dulcich, TE, UCLA

Round 4 - Dave Bell, WR, Purdue

I would seriously go nuts if that's how our draft shook out.

That would be a haul and a half. I could live with Ruckert at TE as well. I think he’s a sleeper talent whose production was stymied by OSU’s wealth of talent at the other receiving spots. Dotson is the WR to replace TY; deceptive speed, great hands, solid route runner. He’d be a difference maker for the Colts’ O. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Round 2.

I reallllllly like Houston DT Logan Hall. Man, imagine him next to Buckner. Would be awesome

S Pitre --- a little long-legged, but really goes after the ball.

OL --- Either Tyler or Raimann. We need to groom a LT

WR - So many good ones but I think I would wait till round 3.

QB --- yup, I'd consider one. But I think just Howell. All the others that COULD be there have fatal flaws. Ridder --- too inaccurate; Corral --- hasn't been asked to read the field, hard to project. Howell is underrated. PLAYS QB like a pro has to.

 

Round 3

WR --- Jalen Tolbert, Wan'Dale Robinson, and I like Tyquann Thornton from Baylor.

TE --- Otton, Jelani Woods (but he's moving up), Ferguson from Wisconsin

 

 

Whole bunch of interesting guys later, but Ballard always surprises us. Their boards never look like the ones we see published.

Guys like Khari Willis, Grover Stewart, Isaiah Rodgers, Mike Strachan. 

gonna be fun!!!!:headspin:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...