Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bernhard Raimann

What do y’all think of this kid. 1 sack allowed in 664 pass blocking snaps. Come to America as an Australian transfer student. Played ball at central Michigan. Only played on the o line for 2 years after switching from TE but has played really well. He is a bit older as he will be 25 when he’s a rookie.

6 hours ago, CantBeStopped said:

What do y’all think of this kid. 1 sack allowed in 664 pass blocking snaps. Come to America as an Australian transfer student. Played ball at central Michigan. Only played on the o line for 2 years after switching from TE but has played really well. He is a bit older as he will be 25 when he’s a rookie.

1 hour ago, fire cartier said:

13 NFL offensive line coaches were at the Central Michigan pro day today for Bernhard Raimann and Luke Goedeke. Raimann a potential Rd1 and Goedeke a Rd2-3 player. Both have NFL starter traits

I like him a lot.  He’s definitely a top prospect.  If he doesn’t go first round I can see the Colts moving up in the second to get him.

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I like him a lot.  He’s definitely a top prospect.  If he doesn’t go first round I can see the Colts moving up in the second to get him.

unless stubborn Ballard doesn't  feel we need him cause of Pryor which he would be wrong to think

The issues with Raimann are these… 

The biggest one is short arms.  I think I remember reading sub-33 inches.  Ballard doesn’t even like sub-34 inches.   He wants 34 or longer on the LT.   So I think that’s a deal breaker for the Colts.  

Other than that, some evaluators seem to like him more as a guard, but no way to know where we are on that one.   

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The biggest one is short arms.  I think I remember reading sub-33 inches.  Ballard doesn’t even like sub-34 inches.   He wants 34 or longer on the LT.   So I think that’s a deal breaker for the Colts.  

Other than that, some evaluators seem to like him more as a guard, but no way to know where we are on that one.   

Spot on in terms of numbers.

But the thing that always bothers me when people (not you, namely evaluators) do this is that they say "shorter arms = OG and not OT"

The reality is if a guy has great film at OT and has the footwork, quicks, strength and technique then it's dumb to say they need to switch due to arm length?

The last guy that they were saying that about recently?

None other than Rashawn Slater.

He only had 33" arms (Raimann is almost the same at 32 7/8").

Ppl said Slater would have to move to OG.

Chargers took him knowing how great he played OT. Put him in at LT. He kicked major * (as expected).

Finished as the 8th overall OT according to PFF (i know there are goods and bads with them but it does give a ranking standard to compare all players across) and he was top-15 at both pass blocking and run blocking.

All I am saying is "film don't lie". If this kid looks like he can play LT you take him and keep him there.

Now whether we will or not? Who knows.

I will say, I fully expect him to be gone before we pick and probably in the 1st round.

I'd also add there are plenty of solid OTs in this class I would love to add:

Raimann

Abe Lucas

Tyler Smith

Trevor Penning

Max Mitchell

Rasheed Walker

Some will be gone and some might be there in the 2nd-4th range. 

16 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Spot on in terms of numbers.

But the thing that always bothers me when people (not you, namely evaluators) do this is that they say "shorter arms = OG and not OT"

The reality is if a guy has great film at OT and has the footwork, quicks, strength and technique then it's dumb to say they need to switch due to arm length?

The last guy that they were saying that about recently?

None other than Rashawn Slater.

He only had 33" arms (Raimann is almost the same at 32 7/8").

Ppl said Slater would have to move to OG.

Chargers took him knowing how great he played OT. Put him in at LT. He kicked major * (as expected).

Finished as the 8th overall OT according to PFF (i know there are goods and bads with them but it does give a ranking standard to compare all players across) and he was top-15 at both pass blocking and run blocking.

All I am saying is "film don't lie". If this kid looks like he can play LT you take him and keep him there.

Now whether we will or not? Who knows.

I will say, I fully expect him to be gone before we pick and probably in the 1st round.

I'd also add there are plenty of solid OTs in this class I would love to add:

Raimann

Abe Lucas

Tyler Smith

Trevor Penning

Max Mitchell

Rasheed Walker

Some will be gone and some might be there in the 2nd-4th range. 

FWIW Braden Smith’s arm length is 32 1/4 inches.  He’s done extremely well at RT and many here have suggested that he should move to left.  I don’t think Raimann’s arm length would be a deal breaker for Ballard given his other attributes.

37 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Arm length matters, but maybe not a deal killer.  32 7/8, so basically 33.

— Has middling arm length that can become an issue against certain NFL body types.

True. Exceptional base technique can certainly overcome physical limitations. Although it's probably a stretch to say 33 is a limitation.

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

True. Exceptional base technique can certainly overcome physical limitations. Although it's probably a stretch to say 33 is a limitation.

I have read some analysis that says his exceptional athleticism for his size (a former TE) and his decent combine performance can make up for lack of arm length against those body types that would give him trouble.  Yeah, that's different than a stiff who has 33 inch arms, so we'll see where Raimann gets drafted.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

FWIW Braden Smith’s arm length is 32 1/4 inches.  He’s done extremely well at RT and many here have suggested that he should move to left.  I don’t think Raimann’s arm length would be a deal breaker for Ballard given his other attributes.

Smith has always had trouble with speed rushers, Rivers was able to mask it with his wisdom and quick release. We may get to see.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Given Ballard said last year that arm lengths in the 33’s was a problem for him at left tackle, I’m not certain Chris Ballard would agree with you. 

And what does the fact that some fans here on this website say that they think Smith could be moved to LT have to do with anything?    Who cares?    That option is available to Ballard.   Has he done it?   I think you have your answer. 

On 4/13/2022 at 8:24 PM, NewColtsFan said:

If I’m not mistaken, Braden Smith has 33” arms.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Given Ballard said last year that arm lengths in the 33’s was a problem for him at left tackle, I’m not certain Chris Ballard would agree with you. 

And what does the fact that some fans here on this website say that they think Smith could be moved to LT have to do with anything?    Who cares?    That option is available to Ballard.   Has he done it?   I think you have your answer. 

I actually agree with you that he is likely not a CB guy for the reasons you stated, but I am holding out hope lol. I will also add to that that when Braden Smith was drafted by us, a lot of people were suggesting that he was destined to play OG for us since he had shorter arms. They gave him a shot at RT and he was exceptional there and really has been ever since. 

I actually think Smith was announced as an OG on draft day and all the analysts expected him to play OG.

Just goes to show you that sometimes guys can buck the trends.

As for Raimann, if his arms were slightly longer I don't think anyone would question things.

His biggest knock is that he is so new to the position that everyone is projecting how high his ceiling can be but they don't have a clue if he could struggle and fizzle out at the NFL level against elite competition or if he will continue to grow and excel and then become a top-5 LT.

I would love getting him and plugging him at LT

I just honestly feel he is gone in the 20s on draft day.

11 hours ago, jonjon said:

? Where are you getting this?

His birthday is in September when he will turn 25, that has been mentioned a bunch of times. The concussion thing I thought I read in a article from The Athletic. When I Googled this again, I admit that I cannot find it now and I apologize if I made a mistake about this. In any case, I think that #42 should be spent on a WR or TE and that an OT can be found later in the draft.

Yeah it was mostly the concussion thing I meant, no worries. I didn't see anything either, which is why I asked. 

What's funny is I read "undersized" about him. He's 6'7", 305. Anyone remember when if an OL weighed that much, they were considered overweight and it was a negative? 

On 4/13/2022 at 5:26 PM, CantBeStopped said:

AUSTRIAN not Australian. We don't have any kangaroos here :-)

I'm not super into Raimann, given the age and length issues. Wasn't thrilled watching his tape, he's ok. Personally don't see him as anything more than league average at best. I'd rather we go WR/TE with our first 2 picks, then go OT in the 4th. I really like Matt Waletzko in the 4th. Mammoth of a man with good athleticism and 35 inch arms. More unpolished forsure, but I think he has star tackle potential.

On 4/14/2022 at 6:31 PM, Defjamz26 said:

If I’m not mistaken, Braden Smith has 33” arms.

For what it’s worth…

I’ve double checked his Wiki page….  And his combine measurements are posted.   His arms are 32 1/4. 

That was the big deal that Ballard made of it.  Too short for Right tackle.  The scouts had to convince him Smith could do it despite the shorter arms.    And it appears Ballard wants even longer on the Left side…. 34+ 

Here's the link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braden_Smith

11 hours ago, austriancolt said:

AUSTRIAN not Australian. We don't have any kangaroos here :-)

You don't know what you're missing.  They make great pets, but if you're feeling a little hungry, they are very tasty.  Just remember, when you have a kangaroo steak, they need to be done rare--low in fat (almost non-existent), they get very dry and tough if you cook them more than a couple of minutes.  I would recommend a nice Kakadu Plum marinade.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth…

I’ve double checked his Wiki page….  And his combine measurements are posted.   His arms are 32 1/4. 

That was the big deal that Ballard made of it.  Too short for Right tackle.

So put him at ROG. People get way too wrapped up in stats. Look at his tape. Do his "short" arms seem to be an issue? No? Then F it. 

29 minutes ago, jonjon said:

So put him at ROG. People get way too wrapped up in stats. Look at his tape. Do his "short" arms seem to be an issue? No? Then F it. 

Put him at RG?    Huh?

We don’t need a RG.   We have Pinter who is very highly regarded.     I don’t think we’re spending pick 42 and taking a guy to play right guard.   

Or am I misunderstanding you? 

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Rashawn Slater was drafted in the 1st round last year with only 33” arms and played amazing for the Chargers at LT.

But as NCF pointed out, it’s all about Ballard’s thresholds.

Id like some media type to ask Ballard does he allow for the Exception to the Rule?   If he had had the chance would he have drafted Slater to play LT?   I woukd hope he’d say yes, but I’m not sure….

Slater succeeds at LT because he has great feet and balance and he’s super smart.  Would Ballard accept those qualities for his LT?    I’d love to hear his answer…. 

15 hours ago, jonjon said:

Follow up post….  

I appreciate that you’re new here….  But when you’re reading posts here and we’re all talking about specific traits that players have, it’s NOT because WE want them.   These are traits that Ballard himself has publicly said multiple times that he wants. 

So, for example, he wants his LT to have arms at least 34 inches long.  And he’d prefer his tackles to be taller, at least 6’5”.   For cornerback, he wants them to have arms at least 32 inches long.   

Agree or disagree, that’s what Ballard and his scouts are looking for.   It’s not a fan requirement.   We’re all simply all guessing to see if we can find candidates that Ballard would clearly want. 

Hope that clarifies….  

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Id like some media type to ask Ballard does he allow for the Exception to the Rule?   If he had had the chance would he have drafted Slater to play LT?   I woukd hope he’d say yes, but I’m not sure….

Slater succeeds at LT because he has great feet and balance and he’s super smart.  Would Ballard accept those qualities for his LT?    I’d love to hear his answer…. 

They’ve had Carter O’Donnell listed at OT for 2 years with 32.5” arms.  But he was an UCFA, and he hasn’t made the Active Roster yet…

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Put him at RG?    Huh?

We don’t need a RG.   We have Pinter who is very highly regarded.     I don’t think we’re spending pick 42 and taking a guy to play right guard.   

Or am I misunderstanding you? 

Thx, didn't know Pinter was so highly regarded. My main point is people (including Ballard) can get too wrapped up in stats. It's like Pickett. People were harping on how he has "small hands"...but did you know he fumbles less than Willis? So clearly the "small hands" thing isn't hurting him and it's stupid to get wrapped up in. Same here. Look at the game tape. That's really all that matters. If his "short" arms aren't causing problems, who cares? I crack up every year when people go nuts about the combine and all the stats that come out of it. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Follow up post….  

I appreciate that you’re new here….  But when you’re reading posts here and we’re all talking about specific traits that players have, it’s NOT because WE want them.   These are traits that Ballard himself has publicly said multiple times that he wants. 

So, for example, he wants his LT to have arms at least 34 inches long.  And he’d prefer his tackles to be taller, at least 6’5”.   For cornerback, he wants them to have arms at least 32 inches long.   

Agree or disagree, that’s what Ballard and his scouts are looking for.   It’s not a fan requirement.   We’re all simply all guessing to see if we can find candidates that Ballard would clearly want. 

Hope that clarifies….  

Yes I get that. I guess I need to clarify what I'm saying....when I say "people get too wrapped up in stats," I don't mean anyone in particular, or this site, or whatever. A general statement/observation. And yeah if Ballard is that freaked out about a talented OL who's proven himself on the field because the guy's arms aren't quite what he wants and would pass on him because of that, it's IMO very foolish and short-sighted. 

But still hope for a WR with that 2d round pick. :)

Archived