Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bernhard Raimann

13 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Thx, didn't know Pinter was so highly regarded. My main point is people (including Ballard) can get too wrapped up in stats. It's like Pickett. People were harping on how he has "small hands"...but did you know he fumbles less than Willis? So clearly the "small hands" thing isn't hurting him and it's stupid to get wrapped up in. Same here. Look at the game tape. That's really all that matters. If his "short" arms aren't causing problems, who cares? I crack up every year when people go nuts about the combine and all the stats that come out of it. 

Yes I get that. I guess I need to clarify what I'm saying....when I say "people get too wrapped up in stats," I don't mean anyone in particular, or this site, or whatever. A general statement/observation. And yeah if Ballard is that freaked out about a talented OL who's proven himself on the field because the guy's arms aren't quite what he wants and would pass on him because of that, it's IMO very foolish and short-sighted. 

But still hope for a WR with that 2d round pick. :)

Me too.   I want that speedy WR that we currently lack that potentially takes the top off a defense and has to be accounted for.   And I think pick 42 is our best chance to find that guy.  

Appreciate your response, thanks. 

Yeah - and as much as I want a WR (or the top TE wouldn't break my heart either esp if he can move), even if the OL we have prove their faith that Ballard has in them - debatable right now IMO - we're still awfully thin there, so drafting this guy I couldn't complain about too much. 

6 hours ago, Archer said:

They’ve had Carter O’Donnell listed at OT for 2 years with 32.5” arms.  But he was an UCFA, and he hasn’t made the Active Roster yet…

Im not doubting that O’Donnell has short arms….  But I did a search and couldn’t find anything one way or the other.   Do you have a link to share?   I’m curious now….    Thnx. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Id like some media type to ask Ballard does he allow for the Exception to the Rule?   If he had had the chance would he have drafted Slater to play LT?   I woukd hope he’d say yes, but I’m not sure….

Slater succeeds at LT because he has great feet and balance and he’s super smart.  Would Ballard accept those qualities for his LT?    I’d love to hear his answer…. 

I wonder about that too. Like what if there’s someone’s who’s measurements are really close but the player is exceptional? Like he is dead set on the arm length thing. I’ve gone back and looked at all his colts drafts and he’s really never drafted anyone who didn’t meet the threshold for arm length.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im not doubting that O’Donnell has short arms….  But I did a search and couldn’t find anything one way or the other.   Do you have a link to share?   I’m curious now….    Thnx. 

Y’know, I had a spreadsheet I used to track prospects with from 2007 to 2020, but it got corrupted and I can’t open it.  I remember his arm length and that he had a pretty good pro day.  But I can’t find that workout’s results on-line now either.  Used to be on-line, but I wanted to quote it and couldn’t find any articles with those #s in it…

25 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I wonder about that too. Like what if there’s someone’s who’s measurements are really close but the player is exceptional? Like he is dead set on the arm length thing. I’ve gone back and looked at all his colts drafts and he’s really never drafted anyone who didn’t meet the threshold for arm length.

Bradon Smith clearly has the arm length of guard. And CB approved paying him $14M per to play Tackle. So he looks at that everyday. 
And Kenny Moore didn't have the size, except he has super long arms.

CB said he had to be convinced to sign him. 
 Just a couple samples showing CB is aware of exceptualism. 
But i'm not expecting any Gary Bracket's anytime soon.

10 hours ago, jonjon said:

Thx, didn't know Pinter was so highly regarded. My main point is people (including Ballard) can get too wrapped up in stats. It's like Pickett. People were harping on how he has "small hands"...but did you know he fumbles less than Willis? So clearly the "small hands" thing isn't hurting him and it's stupid to get wrapped up in. Same here. Look at the game tape. That's really all that matters. If his "short" arms aren't causing problems, who cares? I crack up every year when people go nuts about the combine and all the stats that come out of it. 

Yes I get that. I guess I need to clarify what I'm saying....when I say "people get too wrapped up in stats," I don't mean anyone in particular, or this site, or whatever. A general statement/observation. And yeah if Ballard is that freaked out about a talented OL who's proven himself on the field because the guy's arms aren't quite what he wants and would pass on him because of that, it's IMO very foolish and short-sighted. 

But still hope for a WR with that 2d round pick. :)

If YOU will consider that Ballards standards have been established using studies of success rates for players over decades, and at the Professional level, NOT against college level players, his standards should make sense.
 They come up with a grade for every player on their draft board based on physical and mental attributes. And you stick to your board perhaps up to the point the scores are so close that you will draft for need.
 So all measureables considered, you have 2 guys graded right at 80.
One has 8 3/4 hands, one has 9 1/2.  Which one to choose? 

49 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Bradon Smith clearly has the arm length of guard. And CB approved paying him $14M per to play Tackle. So he looks at that everyday. 
And Kenny Moore didn't have the size, except he has super long arms.

CB said he had to be convinced to sign him. 
 Just a couple samples showing CB is aware of exceptualism. 
But i'm not expecting any Gary Bracket's anytime soon.

Smith was drafted to be a guard though. Like Moore, Ballard said he had to be talked into Smith playing tackle and injuries also played a part in him even getting a shot there.

5 hours ago, Archer said:

Y’know, I had a spreadsheet I used to track prospects with from 2007 to 2020, but it got corrupted and I can’t open it.  I remember his arm length and that he had a pretty good pro day.  But I can’t find that workout’s results on-line now either.  Used to be on-line, but I wanted to quote it and couldn’t find any articles with those #s in it…

I think we signed him as a FA from Canada.   The CFL.   Did he even have a pro day?   I’m just thinking out loud here….     

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think we signed him as a FA from Canada.   The CFL.   Did he even have a pro day?   I’m just thinking out loud here….     

Okay, I found an article saying his pro day was cancelled due to Covid.  His EWS weigh-in, which must be what I remember, lists him as 6’5 4/8”, 313 lbs, 32” arms, 10 1/8” hands, and an 80 1/8” wingspan.  Got a little good EWS game hype.  

34 minutes ago, Archer said:

Okay, I found an article saying his pro day was cancelled due to Covid.  His EWS weigh-in, which must be what I remember, lists him as 6’5 4/8”, 313 lbs, 32” arms, 10 1/8” hands, and an 80 1/8” wingspan.  Got a little good EWS game hype.  

Help me here….     EWS?

I don’t know that one?

16 minutes ago, B~Town said:

Read he failed his physical and could have a massive slide. 

Many people referenced here.....  Bernhard?

Tyler Smith may also be considered at 42.... Smith looks to have all the desirables and could be a true swing OG or OT for this year

I want a speedy separation guy, but my gut.... says we get an OL , QB, or even DL (Unless I am missing something we have a single 1 tech on the roster)  at 42, and try for WR in round 3

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Many people referenced here.....  Bernhard?

Tyler Smith may also be considered at 42.... Smith looks to have all the desirables and could be a true swing OG or OT for this year

I want a speedy separation guy, but my gut.... says we get an OL , QB, or even DL (Unless I am missing something we have a single 1 tech on the roster)  at 42, and try for WR in round 3

Just read Bernhard and Evan Neal we’re medically failed by multiple teams and removed from their draft boards

Archived