Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pass Catching TE and WR is Now the Top Priority

Defjamz26

7 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

People want to think Doyle was something special, and he was definitely solid and consistent.....but, Jesse James is basically Jack 

TE 1 - Mo

TE 2 - 

TE 3 - Granson

We could do worse than Jesse James as an inline blocker/pass catcher in that number 2 slot - IMHO of course

Granson is going into year two and we should see that year two jump in production.

Having said that I love Jelani Woods in the draft. Big, fast, athletic and having two TE's on the line and flooding zones that stand 6'5" and 6'7" would be very tall trees for Matt Ryan to see and use as security blankets! Plus Jelani Woods put up 24 reps so the strength is there to be at least a serviceable blocker and he ran a 4.61 40 which means he's fast enough to challenge the seams plus he played 274 of his 371 offensive snaps last year in-line versus the slot with a stat line of 44-598-8!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We still have the draft and a 2nd and 3rd round pick still. Patience.

the problem is not a lot of 2nd and 3rd round picks make big impacts their first year .  darius leonard is not the normal at all .  pittman was average his first year  .  if your gonna ride with a 37 year old QB you need to bring in a veteran left tackle and wr .

4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Exactly.  Ballard has gone on record saying he likes his WR group.  I think he viewed the biggest issue with them as the QB and that’s been replaced.  I could easily see him adding another WR or two in the draft, that is deep at that position, and being happy.

I wouldn’t put to much stock into that. If I’m not mistaken he said that before FA. Now Doyle, Hilton, and Pascal are all gone. Campbell is still rehabbing even though Ballard said he hasn’t given up on him. You really think he’s confident with Pittman, Dulin, Strachan, MAC, and Patmon? Plus if Pittman has to miss even 1 game, then what?

4 hours ago, Indeee said:

@Scott Pennockthe truth in all seriousness is that most of the guys left, especially the TE's are not worth the money vs. the production

Every year while Ballard is trying to save two nickels on a slice of cheese, the really good players or highest potential guys get scooped up.

Then the teams who save on cheese are left with the cast offs. Those cast offs get 1–2-year deals and then 1 to 2 years later they are back in FA. 

Reason: They never seize the moment wherever they go to become more than just a lifelong cast-off who make rosters only because they are better than the really lower tier guys and teams need to fill rosters. That is the truth

At this point the solution, using the TE, example is to hope Cox becomes more involved in the gameplan or Granson does and whatever one that might be, seizes the moment or they too will ultimately be cast-offs

The real truth to why this team will never really contend is hidden in line 2. Until the owner realizes that it's his money, and he really likes Velveeta over welfare cheese better and actually gets a guy or girl that knows how to shop for the good stuff, we all get to choke on a hard, unsatisfying cheese block instead of enjoying the smooth and creamy deliciousness' of gold delicacy. 

I agree with you there. Not spending has left this team in a tough spot where we don’t have enough draft picks to fix all the holes. And it’s like that every year. We probably roll into the off-season with like 5 needs, kind of fill one with a  cheap and short term FA signing, and then maybe we hit on 2 draft picks. Then next off-season comes and the 3 leftover needs that we’re never addressed are still there and now 1 or 2 of our players are retiring or we don’t want to pay them and then those become new needs and we’re back at square one. The Colts forever take 2 steps forward and 2 steps back.

WR and Corner have been needs for years. The misses at those two positions always set us back. LT is becoming like that too.

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

TE 1 - Mo

TE 2 - 

TE 3 - Granson

We could do worse than Jesse James as an inline blocker/pass catcher in that number 2 slot - IMHO of course

Granson is going into year two and we should see that year two jump in production.

Having said that I love Jelani Woods in the draft. Big, fast, athletic and having two TE's on the line and flooding zones that stand 6'5" and 6'7" would be very tall trees for Matt Ryan to see and use as security blankets! Plus Jelani Woods put up 24 reps so the strength is there to be at least a serviceable blocker and he ran a 4.61 40 which means he's fast enough to challenge the seams plus he played 274 of his 371 offensive snaps last year in-line versus the slot with a stat line of 44-598-8!

I’m betting we get 700yds and 5tds from MAC and Granson combined. Then whatever we may get with the third TE.  

Most people are also forgetting about Hines.  I’m betting we will see a sizable increase in his production. I really think we are down to one playmaker and a FA or draft pick may be what we need if we can get anything from Campbell and Patmon

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

I wouldn’t put to much stock into that. If I’m not mistaken he said that before FA. Now Doyle, Hilton, and Pascal are all gone. Campbell is still rehabbing even though Ballard said he hasn’t given up on him. You really think he’s confident with Pittman, Dulin, Strachan, MAC, and Patmon? Plus if Pittman has to miss even 1 game, then what?

I agree with you there. Not spending has left this team in a tough spot where we don’t have enough draft picks to fix all the holes. And it’s like that every year. We probably roll into the off-season with like 5 needs, kind of fill one with a  cheap and short term FA signing, and then maybe we hit on 2 draft picks. Then next off-season comes and the 3 leftover needs that we’re never addressed are still there and now 1 or 2 of our players are retiring or we don’t want to pay them and then those become new needs and we’re back at square one. The Colts forever take 2 steps forward and 2 steps back.

WR and Corner have been needs for years. The misses at those two positions always set us back. LT is becoming like that too.

I don’t think it matters what I think.  It matters what he thinks and Ballard has always been very honest.  If he says he likes them he likes them.  Hilton also might not be gone, in fact people were speculating on twitter that he might have re-signed based on his latest post.  So as receivers go they have lost one, Pascal, and I also said I expect Ballard to draft one or maybe two.  

The tight ends I put in a different group because they are a different position.  Like I said later in the post they need another one but there isn’t really one to go get.  Again, they may look for one in the draft.  

48 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m betting we get 700yds and 5tds from MAC and Granson combined. Then whatever we may get with the third TE.  

Most people are also forgetting about Hines.  I’m betting we will see a sizable increase in his production. I really think we are down to one playmaker and a FA or draft pick may be what we need if we can get anything from Campbell and Patmon

Ryan has always liked throwing to RB's coming out of the backfield so I agree that Hines will see a spike in production. 

We shall see about the TE's.....

Tyreek is on the market? He's 28 and probably solid for another couple years. Gets the occasional niggle during the course of the season but he is a legit difference maker. I'd really look into paying for this guy. Typically i'm against putting big money in the WR position especially when the draft is so loaded but man, this one is tempting, Hill has no comps in the league, none. Singular talent.

18 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Ryan has always liked throwing to RB's coming out of the backfield so I agree that Hines will see a spike in production. 

We shall see about the TE's.....

I’m not a Granson doubter, but I’m also not a believer either. He’s severely undersized for a TE. He’s basically a heavy slot receiver. 

But Ryan had great TEs in Atlanta. Gonzalez, Hooper, and Pitts.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m not a Granson doubter, but I’m also not a believer either. He’s severely undersized for a TE. He’s basically a heavy slot receiver. 

But Ryan had great TEs in Atlanta. Gonzalez, Hooper, and Pitts.

A reunion with Hooper could have happened if he waited a day or two longer.....lol

I agree, we are banking on the second year jump for Granson but it is not guaranteed. If he figures it out he is now our bully slot like Pascal....

6 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

A reunion with Hooper could have happened if he waited a day or two longer.....lol

I agree, we are banking on the second year jump for Granson but it is not guaranteed. If he figures it out he is now our bully slot like Pascal....

There is a reason teams passed on Granson, Strachan, Patmon and their likes on Day 2 of the draft and they all are Day 3 picks. Counting on the odds of them surprising us is by no means a sound plan whatsoever, no matter what Ballard might say. It is not like they are going to develop some magic potential that exceeds what the other teams and their scouts saw in their college career. The odds are not in Ballard's favor. 

Instead of signing a washed up Julio who can't stay healthy, I would be in favor of Ballard making a savvy move, and seeing which teams that are rebuilding, would unload one of their young WRs or TEs.

A team like Seattle comes to mind with WR DK Metcalf. It wouldn't hurt to see what draft pick it would take to get him. If outside of a 1st, I would think of doing it. Another team that comes to mind is the Carolina Panthers and WR DJ Moore.

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Instead of signing a washed up Julio who can't stay healthy, I would be in favor of Ballard making a savvy move, and seeing which teams that are rebuilding, would unload one of their young WRs or TEs.

A team like Seattle comes to mind with WR DK Metcalf. It wouldn't hurt to see what draft pick it would take to get him. If outside of a 1st, I would think of doing it. Another team that comes to mind is the Carolina Panthers and WR DJ Moore.

DJ Moore just signed an extension. Pete also just said that DK’s extension will & needs to get done

12 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If we plan on drafting our QB in 2023, we can't keep trading away draft picks. We will need them in case we need to move up to snag a guy that we targeted.

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

There is a reason teams passed on Granson, Strachan, Patmon and their likes on Day 2 of the draft and they all are Day 3 picks. Counting on the odds of them surprising us is by no means a sound plan whatsoever, no matter what Ballard might say. It is not like they are going to develop some magic potential that exceeds what the other teams and their scouts saw in their college career. The odds are not in Ballard's favor. 

While your stance may be true, different teams want different traits in their players based off of the system they are drafting for. Your logic is extremely flawed as all three were productive college athletes and improved every year. Who cares if other GM's passed over them when the GM that drafted them has been rated the best talent evaluator (as recently as August of 2021) among all current GM's and was rated the 6th best in his free agent signings and the 3rd best in regards to honesty (weird thing but I guess other GM's and Agents appreciate it)...........

Nobody is banking on them improving and surprising us, however, there is certainly a good chance that they could. 

11 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

While your stance may be true, different teams want different traits in their players based off of the system they are drafting for. Your logic is extremely flawed as all three were productive college athletes and improved every year. Who cares if other GM's passed over them when the GM that drafted them has been rated the best talent evaluator (as recently as August of 2021) among all current GM's and was rated the 6th best in his free agent signings and the 3rd best in regards to honesty (weird thing but I guess other GM's and Agents appreciate it)...........

Nobody is banking on them improving and surprising us, however, there is certainly a good chance that they could. 

Ratings and rankings, unless they translate to on the field success, it does not mean much in this results oriented business. Can't keep blaming the coaches and QB when the groceries you give them are not the best to begin with, it will catch up with you at some point. If what is best for Ballard's convictions, rankings and beliefs are not what turns out to be best for the Colts, no amount of cheerleading is going to change the results.

I would be glad to change my stance if serious additions to our roster through FA or the draft on the pass catching front moving forward from this post bring us terrific results as a Colts fan but I am not going to get my hopes up. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Ratings and rankings, unless they translate to on the field success, it does not mean much in this results oriented business. Can't keep blaming the coaches and QB when the groceries you give them are not the best to begin with, it will catch up with you at some point. If what is best for Ballard's convictions and beliefs are not what turns out to be best for the Colts, no amount of cheerleading is going to change the results.

I would be glad to change my stance if serious additions to our roster through FA or the draft moving forward from this post bring us terrific results as a Colts fan but I am not going to get my hopes up. 

I am not going by ratings as I don't care, but, productive college players once they learn the NFL can be productive NFL players. I am sorry you don't have the patience to let them develop. Just like there was no magic button to draft a Franchise QB (because that is an even larger crap shoot) since Luck put us in QB Purgatory. In my opinion Ballard has done the best he could with the resources he's had and the QB's available thru the draft, free agent and/or trade market. 

So yes, we'll have to agree to disagree and see how the rest of this particular off-season plays out and of course the season itself. 

Cheers!

3 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I am not going by ratings as I don't care, but, productive college players once they learn the NFL can be productive NFL players. I am sorry you don't have the patience to let them develop. Just like there was no magic button to draft a Franchise QB (because that is an even larger crap shoot) since Luck put us in QB Purgatory. In my opinion Ballard has done the best he could with the resources he's had and the QB's available thru the draft, free agent and/or trade market. 

So yes, we'll have to agree to disagree and see how the rest of this particular off-season plays out and of course the season itself. 

Cheers!

Productive...maybe, Difference makers...less likely. That is what I see with our current WR / TE group outside MPJ. Again, for the Colts sake, I would be 1000% happy if I am wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Cheers!

I’m not exactly sure how Ballard has had less resources than any other GM has had while he has been with the Colts?

Meanwhile we’re still fighting to be relevant in the weakest division in the AFC…

At some point, very soon, Ballard has to make us relevant or at the very least improve the team to a point where we see clear progress. So far it just seems like lateral moves. He’s had enough time to make a difference. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Productive...maybe, Difference makers...less likely. That is what I see with our current WR / TE group outside MPJ. Again, for the Colts sake, I would be 1000% happy if I am wrong. 

Ahhhhhh there is the key. I am agreed with most when saying I would like a true difference maker brought in. I still feel that those other three can be productive contributors that should not just be after-thoughts. 

At this point there are no difference makers available in FA, in my opinion of course. I do like MVS as a vertical threat but he wasn't all that productive for a very prolific offense. Granted Devante Adams pulled a lot of targets his way so perhaps he is due for a "breakout"? He is the last guy in that mold on the market and I bet the Chiefs over pay for him in the next couple of days.

I like Jarvis Landry as a steady eddie kind of move the chains number two......I like Keelan Cole too. Cole has been fairly productive as a number 3 with some suspect QB's throwing to him. Are they upgrades over what we have. Maybe only in the margins as they have actually had NFL production. Will signing Landry or Cole prohibit the development of any of our young guys, no. But they are not difference makers! 

There are a few in the draft that should fall to us at 42 that could be difference makers, but, will they come out the gate doing so?

5 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Ahhhhhh there is the key. I am agreed with most when saying I would like a true difference maker brought in. I still feel that those other three can be productive contributors that should not just be after-thoughts. 

At this point there are no difference makers available in FA, in my opinion of course. I do like MVS as a vertical threat but he wasn't all that productive for a very prolific offense. Granted Devante Adams pulled a lot of targets his way so perhaps he is due for a "breakout"? He is the last guy in that mold on the market and I bet the Chiefs over pay for him in the next couple of days.

I like Jarvis Landry as a steady eddie kind of move the chains number two......I like Keelan Cole too. Cole has been fairly productive as a number 3 with some suspect QB's throwing to him. Are they upgrades over what we have. Maybe only in the margins as they have actually had NFL production. Will signing Landry or Cole prohibit the development of any of our young guys, no. But they are not difference makers! 

There are a few in the draft that should fall to us at 42 that could be difference makers, but, will they come out the gate doing so?

Even if we have the NFL caliber #2 WRs like MPJ and DeVante Parker, that would still make our WR corps respectable, IMO. Parker is a red zone target plus chain mover and can be thrown open by a guy like Ryan. Robert Woods was in the same mold. They (Parker, Woods) can make a difference, even if it is not in the same level of difference as Adams and Hill, but better than MVS or Fuller for sure that would have a more limited role in Frank's offense. Let us hope Jameson Williams drops due to injury to No.42, one can hope. :) 

11 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I’m not exactly sure how Ballard has had less resources than any other GM has had while he has been with the Colts?

Meanwhile we’re still fighting to be relevant in the weakest division in the AFC…

At some point, very soon, Ballard has to make us relevant or at the very least improve the team to a point where we see clear progress. So far it just seems like lateral moves. He’s had enough time to make a difference. 

I didn't say he had a lack of resources, I said resources available - for example we couldn't trade for Stafford because we didn't have an NFL Ready QB available to throw in AND that QB having the distinction of being drafted by the new GM of the Lions while with the Rams. Never had a chance in that one.

Yeah, he's made lateral moves at QB because those were the options presented at that time. This ain't Madden football where you can just trade for or sign whomever you want.....If folks truly looked at the QB landscape since August of 2019 (when our franchise QB retired on us at a God awful time) and saw who was available in FA, or within our grasp in the draft, or who was available for trade you may come to appreciate the job our front office has done to put a band aid on the situation AND rip it off when it was required. But alas, it's easier to just jump on the "OMG What the hell is Ballard doing" band wagon.....

4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I didn't say he had a lack of resources, I said resources available - for example we couldn't trade for Stafford because we didn't have an NFL Ready QB available to throw in AND that QB having the distinction of being drafted by the new GM of the Lions while with the Rams. Never had a chance in that one.

Yeah, he's made lateral moves at QB because those were the options presented at that time. This ain't Madden football where you can just trade for or sign whomever you want.....If folks truly looked at the QB landscape since August of 2019 (when our franchise QB retired on us at a God awful time) and saw who was available in FA, or within our grasp in the draft, or who was available for trade you may come to appreciate the job our front office has done to put a band aid on the situation AND rip it off when it was required. But alas, it's easier to just jump on the "OMG What the hell is Ballard doing" band wagon.....

To the first, that’s baloney. Lions were not and are not a QB away so it would just have been a question of more draft capital or other players.

THAT SAID I don’t think throwing everything and the kitchensink after getting Stafford would have been the right choice anyway. I don’t think spending draft capital and money on Matty is the right move either, because we’re not a QB away. We have numerous needs at key positions and Ballard has continuously ignored them or whiffed at getting quality players at those positions. 

Honestly since LT will take awhile to develop, and there may be a tackle run before our pick like there was last year, you may as well come out swinging and draft a WR and TE with the 2nd and 3rd round pick. Like others have said there are very few options in FA left.

10 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

To the first, that’s baloney. Lions were not and are not a QB away so it would just have been a question of more draft capital or other players.

THAT SAID I don’t think throwing everything and the kitchensink after getting Stafford would have been the right choice anyway. I don’t think spending draft capital and money on Matty is the right move either, because we’re not a QB away. We have numerous needs at key positions and Ballard has continuously ignored them or whiffed at getting quality players at those positions. 

We agree on the surface then. I do not agree the Lions were not a QB away either, however, you know how front offices operate and they like to bring in familiar faces. Goff did lead a team to the Super Bowl regardless of the talent he may or may not have.

Tell me though, what picks do you think he (Ballard) whiffed on or what spots are being ignored?

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

We agree on the surface then. I do not agree the Lions were not a QB away either, however, you know how front offices operate and they like to bring in familiar faces. Goff did lead a team to the Super Bowl regardless of the talent he may or may not have.

Tell me though, what picks do you think he (Ballard) whiffed on or what spots are being ignored?

-Wentz was a shot at getting a still young QB who was familiar with our coach and system. Whiff. 
-Fisher was coming off an achilles injury and was career-wise as good as Leno who was available and by all accounts begging to come here. Whiff. 
-Just DEs man. How many has he drafted by now? Jury’s still out on Paye and Dayo both of whom I hope will be good. Major whiff. 
-Khari Willis and Julian Blackmon can’t stay healthy and when they are playing they are average… and they are the best we have. Not calling it a complete whiff, but we’re playing rotational players as starters here in my opinion. 

-WRs. Last year we brought back TY for too much money and got nothing. Worst of all Ballard seems to think our WR group is good. :facepalm:

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

WRs. Last year we brought back TY for too much money and got nothing. Worst of all Ballard seems to think our WR group is good. :facepalm:

He’s said that a few times and I’ll never understand it. You have Pittman and no one else. Pascal is a 600 yard WR3 with any QB not named Wentz, but still the cupboard is bare. And his obsession with the idea that Paris Campbell is going to figure it out is tiring. Like if he hasn’t been healthy for 3 years straight now, I don’t think it’s ever going to happen.

Really in 5 years, Pittman is the only upgrade he’s made to the receiving core.

Don't remember but was MR during the Algae Crumpler days?? If so I wonder how that factors in to our lack of targeting them (te's).

Also has anything been said about Frank and the play calling duties?

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Ratings and rankings, unless they translate to on the field success, it does not mean much in this results oriented business. Can't keep blaming the coaches and QB when the groceries you give them are not the best to begin with, it will catch up with you at some point. If what is best for Ballard's convictions, rankings and beliefs are not what turns out to be best for the Colts, no amount of cheerleading is going to change the results.

I would be glad to change my stance if serious additions to our roster through FA or the draft on the pass catching front moving forward from this post bring us terrific results as a Colts fan but I am not going to get my hopes up. 

"If what is best for Ballard's convictions, rankings and beliefs are not what turns out to be best for the Colts"   

What really weird psycho babble!!
   Football organizations have a huge staff and budget geared to supply the GM and CEO with the best information. And draft boards are built by exhaustive consensus.
 And so is FA. Ballard is fine no matter how much you all whine!
  If Wentz had the maturity (BRAINS) to grow his game, you know hit 30-40 chekdowns last season, (in a learning year for a bunch of very young players) the Colts Would have been in the Playoffs and been a very dangerous team. WITHOUT even a decent WR group you all say!!!
  Never fear you who have lost hope, Reggie is here and he AND Ryan are  going to take them bad boys to the next level. GUARANTEED!
  Pittman is a bigger version of Reggie, and with a real QB we will see his next level. FUN FUN FUN

By the 2nd half of next season your lack of vision and patience will be quite Obvious. 
 Clearly to me, you join several of our good veteran posters here who have been crushed by our managements patient approach to FA. You haven't got your way and are posting faithless, depressive, gobbledegook. Please save this post, read it in 6 months, and see if it makes sense then. 

36 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He’s said that a few times and I’ll never understand it. You have Pittman and no one else. Pascal is a 600 yard WR3 with any QB not named Wentz, but still the cupboard is bare. And his obsession with the idea that Paris Campbell is going to figure it out is tiring. Like if he hasn’t been healthy for 3 years straight now, I don’t think it’s ever going to happen.

Really in 5 years, Pittman is the only upgrade he’s made to the receiving core.

Actually, what YOU can't figure out is bad luck and reality.

With RIVERS as QB and Campbell staying healthy last season, he just as likely (because he has figured it out) caught 65-75 for 800-900 with 6-9 td's. And be a riser. Pascall about the same, And Hines not far behind.
 Our TE's would have been more productive. BALLARD's Overall receiving core would be looking very solid TODAY.  We will be fine next season with pass catchers even if all we add to the 53 is a rookie. 

18 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

By the 2nd half of next season your lack of vision and patience will be quite Obvious. 
 Clearly to me, you join several of our good veteran posters here who have been crushed by our managements patient approach to FA. You haven't got your way and are posting faithless, depressive, gobbledegook. Please save this post, read it in 6 months, and see if it makes sense then. 

I know you’ve been around a long time. So you understand what this forum is all about - people giving opinions and stating their likes and dislikes.  

If everyone just sat and waited to see what happens instead of posting, this forum would dry up.  

Personally, I enjoy reading others opinions, even when they’re 180 degrees from mine.  

21 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

If everyone just sat and waited to see what happens instead of posting, this forum would dry up.  

Ha, someone who gets it. If we all think alike and shook Pom-poms and possessed biblical patience, this forum would be filled with cookie cutter responses, and won’t be nearly as engaging, would it? :) 

I’m with you here, handling differences and different opinions is the name of the game. I don’t mind strong disagreements at all.

9 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Actually, what YOU can't figure out is bad luck and reality.

With RIVERS as QB and Campbell staying healthy last season, he just as likely (because he has figured it out) caught 65-75 for 800-900 with 6-9 td's. And be a riser. Pascall about the same, And Hines not far behind.
 Our TE's would have been more productive. BALLARD's Overall receiving core would be looking very solid TODAY.  We will be fine next season with pass catchers even if all we add to the 53 is a rookie. 

While that’s true, the reality is Campbell has played 15 games in 3 years so you really can’t ever count him among your viable receiving options. Even if he has flashed and made big plays every time he’s actually played. I think it’s smarter to not count on Paris Campbell being healthy and just go get another receiver with a similar skill set. 

I don’t think we will be fine at WR next season unless we add another WR. And not one of those late round developmental guys were always taking in the later rounds. We need a guy with legit traits in rounds 3-4. We need a burner, but I’m also okay if it’s more of a slot/possession type of receiver like Tolbert or Bell. It doesn’t matter if the guy plays the Y or Z receiver as long as we add someone who can get open after Pittman.

5 minutes ago, C_Lew said:

Ballard said a few weeks ago that while he likes some of the younger guys we have, he intends to improve our receiving corps. I think letting go of Pascal shows he meant it.

While Pascal had an off year, he was still really good in the run game.  MPJ is decent, and I like how TY had a knack of just 'getting in the way'.  

Since he draft the younger guys, I'm sure he has hopes they develop.  But we sure could use another proven starter now.  Too many "if" players - If Campbell can stay healthy, if Dulin develops as a route runner, if Strachan can learn the game, etc.

Coutee started to come on with the Texans his last year there.  I don't know why he didn't see the field much.

16 hours ago, Solid84 said:

-Wentz was a shot at getting a still young QB who was familiar with our coach and system. Whiff. 
-Fisher was coming off an achilles injury and was career-wise as good as Leno who was available and by all accounts begging to come here. Whiff. 
-Just DEs man. How many has he drafted by now? Jury’s still out on Paye and Dayo both of whom I hope will be good. Major whiff. 
-Khari Willis and Julian Blackmon can’t stay healthy and when they are playing they are average… and they are the best we have. Not calling it a complete whiff, but we’re playing rotational players as starters here in my opinion. 

-WRs. Last year we brought back TY for too much money and got nothing. Worst of all Ballard seems to think our WR group is good. :facepalm:

Wentz busted - but how can you fault him for listening to his coach and then when it didn't work he cut bait really quick?

I can't speak for the Fisher versus Leno choice as that would be insider info. Again, cut bait when it didn't work so no ego involved there which a lot of GM's have.

Yeah the DE's is a bit of a head scratcher (though Paye and Dayo feel different). Turay and Banogu have not lived up to their billing but Lewis has shown he CAN play in between his injuries. We'll see how that pans out.

I agree on the health issue - which a GM can't control - but when they were healthy it seemed like our defense, as a whole played well together. Individually their PFF ratings were not horrible but not difference makers either.

I wanted TY gone last year and felt like that was a nostalgic signing versus a talent signing. He does like his group of receivers and they have the potential to be good, but, we've already discussed that as potential is production that has not been reached. Definitely need to add a compliment to Pittman.

To me he has stuck to his guns on the DE's and continued to say that pass rushers need time to develop......I am curious to see how Banogu (for example) responds to a different coaching staff. No excuses for his lack of previous production but we all know that different voices and a different scheme sometimes changes a players trajectory!

Thank you for taking the time to actually share the "who" when asked about the "why". Many posters are too lazy to elaborate on why they feel a certain type of way! I appreciate the feedback!

15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

While Pascal had an off year, he was still really good in the run game.  MPJ is decent, and I like how TY had a knack of just 'getting in the way'.  

Since he draft the younger guys, I'm sure he has hopes they develop.  But we sure could use another proven starter now.  Too many "if" players - If Campbell can stay healthy, if Dulin develops as a route runner, if Strachan can learn the game, etc.

Coutee started to come on with the Texans his last year there.  I don't know why he didn't see the field much.

I don’t know what his exact plan is, obviously, but I assume we will add 1 WR in the draft and a second in either the draft or FA (after the draft).

On 3/22/2022 at 1:48 PM, Indeee said:

At this point there are zero TE's left in the FA pool that is worth the money or effort.

It's Granson time, unless the Colts are really going to involve Cox into the gameplan which I doubt and even if they do I'm not so sure it's going to amount to much

At this point there are zero WR's in the FA pool outside of Beckham. OBJ is still money if his injuries are not altering or a sign of things habitual. The rest you don't touch. Too many miles on Landry for the money he is going to want and the rest are WR 3's or worse at best

Again, I think everyone on this forum is just not getting it. There isn't enough quality draft picks to fill the needs of this team. There just isn't

Well the cupboard isn't bare my friend. We do have quite a few probowlers on the roster. I don't think it's as bad as you are making it out to be.

57 minutes ago, C_Lew said:

Ballard said a few weeks ago that while he likes some of the younger guys we have, he intends to improve our receiving corps. I think letting go of Pascal shows he meant it.

I'm not against giving the young guys a chance. Patmon....Dulin.... Strachan.....coutee....

2 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Well the cupboard isn't bare my friend. We do have quite a few probowlers on the roster. I don't think it's as bad as you are making it out to be.

He was talking about receivers, WR and TE's.  No pro bowlers there.  Besides Pittman, the rest of the roster probably doesn't have 50 career catches between them.

Archived