Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pass Catching TE and WR is Now the Top Priority

Defjamz26

Now that we have Matt Ryan, I thinks it’s imperative we get him some true receiving weapons. Right now all we have is Pittman. As badly as we need a LT, Ryan is a guy who has survived with horrible line play. Our line is above average at every spot except LT, so we should be fine. But if he has no one to throw too, it won’t matter how well he’s protected. 

They should heavily consider using pick 42 (if they don’t get a QB) on a pass catcher. Ryan will definitely need a true deep threat for sure though.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Now that we have Matt Ryan, I thinks it’s imperative we get him some true receiving weapons. Right now all we have is Pittman. As badly as we need a LT, Ryan is a guy who has survived with horrible line play. Our line is above average at every spot except LT, so we should be fine. But if he has no one to throw too, it won’t matter how well he’s protected. 

They should heavily consider using pick 42 (if they don’t get a QB) on a pass catcher. Ryan will definitely need a true deep threat for sure though.

I would disagree, LT is by far the biggest need now, it doesn’t matter who Ryan is throwing to if he can’t stay upright. 

I would still put LT as the top priority.    TE and WR right after that.  

Pittman, Campbell, Dulin, Strachan, Coutee, Patmon and Harris are not instilling fear in any teams, but Taylor running the ball effectively will.

Top? I still think that's LT. The offense is going to hurt without some competence there. Sure they've brought back Pryor but it's risky trying to find out if he can perform above average through a full season.

They have the playmaking receiving TE on the roster, it's a matter of patience with him (Granson), and they brought back another guy who can block and catch...Cox had a rough season catching last year but showed potential with Luck and Rivers. I am more worried about blocking at that position.

Wideout is a big one but i wouldn't be surprised if they go BPA in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and that may not be a pass catcher. The depth of the receiver class is outstanding.  They'll find weapons for Ryan, that shouldn't be a problem IF they feel so inclined.

31 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

I would disagree, LT is by far the biggest need now, it doesn’t matter who Ryan is throwing to if he can’t stay upright. 

I think they can get by at LT with Ryan under center. Like Rivers he gets the ball out quick. Even if we just bring Fisher back, I think we’ll be okay there.

20 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think they can get by at LT with Ryan under center. Like Rivers he gets the ball out quick. Even if we just bring Fisher back, I think we’ll be okay there.

That is the thing, did Ballard ask Fisher to test the waters or was Fisher's request for a contract turned down? We don't know how it played out and if Fisher's feelings are too hurt for him to play again for the Colts.

Cornelius Lucas, what can you tell me about him?

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/cornelius-lucas/9025

This dude started out undrafted, has exceeded expectations at left tackle whenever he has had to fill in for the Commanders, and is still a free agent, from what I know. Because Charles Leno got the starting job, his job has gone unnoticed. I know he is a swing tackle but every time he gets a chance at left tackle, he has exceeded expectations.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/2/26/22303397/cornelius-lucas-deserves-more-respect

LT obviously needs to be filled, but I’m with you. I think another playmaker at WR is now our top need. I think LT would be second. I think we should target WR with both our 2nd and 3rd round picks. Take care of LT and CB in FA. Maybe draft for depth at those spots, or TE, round 4 and later.

I don’t think we’re in a position at all to draft a QB this year. Too many positions to fill and not enough quality draft picks. If we’re going to draft a QB for the future, I think it has to be next year.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I know everybody cuts on Fisher for good reason he didn’t have a good year pass blocking. But if he was able to have a full offseason to prepare. I think it’s very possible he could be a top left tackle again. I think everyone needs to understand that left tackle is a very difficult position and he had no OTA’s no training camp he was just put into the fire as soon as they thought he was healthy enough and it just don’t work like that. So I for one still believe him and think he deserves another shot. 

Cornelius Lucas PFF Ratings the last 3 years with 500+ snaps at Tackle

2021 - 75.2 with 1 penalty and 3 sacks allowed - 68% snaps

2020 - 78.2 with 1 penalty and 2 sacks allowed - 65% snaps

2019 - 72.2 with 0 penalty's and 1 sack allowed - 48% snaps

He could be a better option than Pryor? He would also come cheaper than other options BUT he's only started half the games the last 3 seasons while playing in all as a Teams guy too.....

I could get on board with this big fella at 6'8" and 330 pounds

Chris Herndon has the pedigree but not the production (yet) to be that pass catching TE. He did get hurt one season but his 1st and third were fairly solid playing for the Jets of all teams. Then was traded to MN and he rode the pine there last year.

Outside of that perhaps Jesse James.....

52 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I think everyone needs to understand that left tackle is a very difficult position

This too. It’s hard to find starting LT outside the 1st round. Well, year 1 day 1 starters at LT. If we spend a high round pick on a LT are we really better off than just bringing Fisher back or rolling with Pryor?

But instant impact WRs/TEs are found every year in every round. We see rookie WRs come in and put up 1,000 yard seasons every year. Ryan is more win-now than bridge QB, so I think it’s better to target the position that will have the most immediate impact. For me that’s WR/pass catching TE.

You can work around not having a great LT. You can’t work around having Pittman as your only proven passing threat.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

This too. It’s hard to find starting LT outside the 1st round. Well, year 1 day 1 starters at LT. If we spend a high round pick on a LT are we really better off than just bringing Fisher back or rolling with Pryor?

But instant impact WRs/TEs are found every year in every round. We see rookie WRs come in and put up 1,000 yard seasons every year. Ryan is more win-now than bridge QB, so I think it’s better to target the position that will have the most immediate impact. For me that’s WR/pass catching TE.

You can work around not having a great LT. You can’t work around having Pittman as your only proven passing threat.

I agree we are in desperate need of a playmaking WR.  I just hope that Ballard isn't thinking that what he has is going to produce enough. I mean you can't count on Campbell and others either aren't ready or just isn't good enough that's the realty of the matter.  

22 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I agree we are in desperate need of a playmaking WR.  I just hope that Ballard isn't thinking that what he has is going to produce enough. I mean you can't count on Campbell and others either aren't ready or just isn't good enough that's the realty of the matter.  

TBH I’d trade Campbell and see what you can get for him. Even if it’s a 4th or 5th round pick. Not only can we just draft another speedy receiver, but we have Dulin who if nothing else is at least available week to week. Might as well keep him as the team’s depth receiver and bet on his development. Plus he’s a special teams ace.

But yeah none of those other guys like Patmon or Strachan look ready. They are likely career practice squad/emergency call up guys.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

TBH I’d trade Campbell and see what you can get for him. Even if it’s a 4th or 5th round pick. Not only can we just draft another speedy receiver, but we have Dulin who if nothing else is at least available week to week. Might as well keep him as the team’s depth receiver and bet on his development. Plus he’s a special teams ace.

But yeah none of those other guys like Patmon or Strachan look ready. They are likely career practice squad/emergency call up guys.

I think Campbell’s value is higher with the Colts than other teams. We aren’t getting a 4th or 5th round pick of Woods went for a 6th lol

Patmon becomes our 4th WR next year IMO behind Pittman, Campbell, & a FA/Draft pick. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We still have the draft and a 2nd and 3rd round pick still. Patience.

The 2nd round is going to be loaded with talent too. A lot of stud WR’s & LT’s that could be available or within reach for the Colts. 

4 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I think Campbell’s value is higher with the Colts than other teams. We aren’t getting a 4th or 5th round pick of Woods went for a 6th lol

Patmon becomes our 4th WR next year IMO behind Pittman, Campbell, & a FA/Draft pick. 

He takes up a roster spot to play maybe 5-6 games every year. Might as well free up that space for an extra receiver. I’m hoping we’ll get Landry for like a year and then draft another receiver.

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

So now it’s important to get Ryan receiving weapons, but not for Wentz last year. Maybe that’s a reason Wentz didn’t fulfill the expectations last season. 

20 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Do we really think that any team is going to give up draft capital for a player that seems to be made of wet paper. 

11 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

So now it’s important to get Ryan receiving weapons, but not for Wentz last year. Maybe that’s a reason Wentz didn’t fulfill the expectations last season. 

Considering TY, Pascal, and Doyle are gone no matter who the QB is they need to add a couple of weapons. 

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Chris Herndon has the pedigree but not the production (yet) to be that pass catching TE. He did get hurt one season but his 1st and third were fairly solid playing for the Jets of all teams. Then was traded to MN and he rode the pine there last year.

Bust and Bustier. Try again

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Bust and Bustier. Try again

Have you ever said anything positive on here because all I ever read is crap coming from your keyboard!  Who is out there that you would sign there keyboard warrior? Do you have any original thoughts of your own or do you just parrot all the other doomsday warriors?

Feel the BERN

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/bernhard-raimann/32005241-4943-2239-8f3e-a0d59931430f

We will need to trade up into the first (23-26) to get him  Will cost us our second and our 3rd

Jarvis Landry or Will Fuller at WR in FA

ONE of the 3 of Patmon, Dulin, or Campbell will emerge as reciever 3

There IS a differnece between Wentz and Ryan

Wentz waited until someone came open

Ryan throws to an open spot

Our current WRs will look BETTER with Ryan at QB (Plus Landry)

We may be able to grab a TE with our 4th pick that can play

But...... you HAVE to have a LT

Why not get it done THIS year? And get your LT covered for the next 10-12 years

At this point there are zero TE's left in the FA pool that is worth the money or effort.

It's Granson time, unless the Colts are really going to involve Cox into the gameplan which I doubt and even if they do I'm not so sure it's going to amount to much

At this point there are zero WR's in the FA pool outside of Beckham. OBJ is still money if his injuries are not altering or a sign of things habitual. The rest you don't touch. Too many miles on Landry for the money he is going to want and the rest are WR 3's or worse at best

Again, I think everyone on this forum is just not getting it. There isn't enough quality draft picks to fill the needs of this team. There just isn't

35 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Have you ever said anything positive on here because all I ever read is crap coming from your keyboard!  Who is out there that you would sign there keyboard warrior? Do you have any original thoughts of your own or do you just parrot all the other doomsday warriors?

It has nothing to do with positive. I'm just real and I watch a lot of football.

Those two guys you mentioned are bums. I don't know what else to tell you. 

Herndon had multiple chances in Jersey and flamed out.

James had multiple chances in Pitt at the backend of Millers career to be the guy and flamed out.

5 minutes ago, Indeee said:

It has nothing to do with positive. I'm just real and I watch a lot of football.

Those two guys you mentioned are bums. I don't know what else to tell you. 

Herndon had multiple chances in Jersey and flamed out.

James had multiple chances in Pitt at the backend of Millers career to be the guy and flamed out.

Fine, if they are bums then why don't you offer a solution instead of just poo pooing on someone else's post.....

26 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Fine, if they are bums then why don't you offer a solution instead of just poo pooing on someone else's post.....

Ok here is a solution. Why don't we go sign Gronk? Just the other day a whole lot of you were poo pooing about no FA's wanting to come here without a QB, but now we have Matty Ice. You know the same Matty Ice who is going to lead us to the playoffs and win a division and all the rest of the mumbo jumbo. So why not go sign Gronk? Gronk hands down is better than anyone left and clearly he knows we have a legit shot with Matty Ice right? Clearly he wouldn't pass up the opportunity to roll with 37 year old Matty Ice who is 6 years younger than Brady. I mean Gronk may play dumb on TV but he can't really be dumb enough to say no to the contender Colts with Matty Ice can he? Let's go get Gronk. There's a solution. 

12 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Ok here is a solution. Why don't we go sign Gronk? Just the other day a whole lot of you were poo pooing about no FA's wanting to come here without a QB, but now we have Matty Ice. You know the same Matty Ice who is going to lead us to the playoffs and win a division and all the rest of the mumbo jumbo. So why not go sign Gronk? Gronk hands down is better than anyone left and clearly he knows we have a legit shot with Matty Ice right? Clearly he wouldn't pass up the opportunity to roll with 37 year old Matty Ice who is 3 years younger than Brady. I mean Gronk may play dumb on TV but he can't really be dumb enough to say no to the contender Colts with Matty Ice can he? Let's go get Gronk. There's a solution. 

You are a child. I offer an olive branch and you still can't resist being condescending.....good luck with your Colts 'fandom'....

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

What you “think” and what is likely to happen are two different things. Rivers played with Castanzo who when healthy is easily one of the better LT in the NFL. Wentz was harassed with Fisher at LT. You’re asking to put a lesser mobile QB in Ryan back there with a question mark lined up at LT? It’s a disaster waiting to happen. He needs someone who is PROVEN to protect his blindside not someone who is serviceable. 

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

You are a child. I offer an olive branch and you still can't resist being condescending.....good luck with your Colts 'fandom'....

I'm not a child I'm serious....ly a child :funny:

I'm just not sure why you offer up guys like James and Herndon when we have Matty Ice. I mean those guys are hanging out down by the trash can. 

Why are you the "King of low expectations"?

I mean didn't you hear Stephen A Smith say we were going to the Super Bowl? Somebody posted that on here earlier to stoke the fires of the upcoming championship season. 

All I'm saying is why fly low when we can soar high now that the Ice man has Cometh... :banana:

"ALL IN" 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We still have the draft and a 2nd and 3rd round pick still. Patience.

Exactly.  Ballard has gone on record saying he likes his WR group.  I think he viewed the biggest issue with them as the QB and that’s been replaced.  I could easily see him adding another WR or two in the draft, that is deep at that position, and being happy.  People need to remember it’s what Ballard, not anyone else, views as needs that matters.

He said today they are going to give Pryor the first crack at LT and they are looking for depth so take a big name free agent signing off the board there.  I think you’ll see a second to fourth round pick used on a tackle they hope they can groom to be the guy is Pryor doesn’t workout.

Tightend they need someone but who is out there to go get right now?  More than likely one of those second to fourth round picks to go with Mac and counting on Granson to develop.  

As for the secondary, if they are going to make a move I think this is where you will see it.  They still need a couple of corners to replace the bodies of Rhodes and Carrie if nothing else.  You could maybe get one of those in the draft.  As for replacing Rock the guy they signed from the Raiders said a chance to start was part of why he picked the Colts so I think he’s the guy they are going to turn to for that like it or not.

I could also see them adding a safety or two again if nothing else for bodies but even then they could probably use an upgrade there.

Again, I don’t nessecarly agree with all those approaches but what I think and what Ballard thinks and will probably do are two different things and only one matters and spoiler it’s not me.

@Scott Pennockthe truth in all seriousness is that most of the guys left, especially the TE's are not worth the money vs. the production

Every year while Ballard is trying to save two nickels on a slice of cheese, the really good players or highest potential guys get scooped up.

Then the teams who save on cheese are left with the cast offs. Those cast offs get 1–2-year deals and then 1 to 2 years later they are back in FA. 

Reason: They never seize the moment wherever they go to become more than just a lifelong cast-off who make rosters only because they are better than the really lower tier guys and teams need to fill rosters. That is the truth

At this point the solution, using the TE, example is to hope Cox becomes more involved in the gameplan or Granson does and whatever one that might be, seizes the moment or they too will ultimately be cast-offs

The real truth to why this team will never really contend is hidden in line 2. Until the owner realizes that it's his money, and he really likes Velveeta over welfare cheese better and actually gets a guy or girl that knows how to shop for the good stuff, we all get to choke on a hard, unsatisfying cheese block instead of enjoying the smooth and creamy deliciousness' of gold delicacy. 

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Cornelius Lucas PFF Ratings the last 3 years with 500+ snaps at Tackle

2021 - 75.2 with 1 penalty and 3 sacks allowed - 68% snaps

2020 - 78.2 with 1 penalty and 2 sacks allowed - 65% snaps

2019 - 72.2 with 0 penalty's and 1 sack allowed - 48% snaps

He could be a better option than Pryor? He would also come cheaper than other options BUT he's only started half the games the last 3 seasons while playing in all as a Teams guy too.....

I could get on board with this big fella at 6'8" and 330 pounds

now you’re thinking like me, lol :) 

8 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

If he was brought in to compete with Matt Pryor I would not be upset. The loser goes back to swing tackle or Pryor to RG (which he also played well at).

Absolutely!! This would be a better competition than Sam Tevi vs Julien Davenport last off season, that's for sure.

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

People want to think Doyle was something special, and he was definitely solid and consistent.....but, Jesse James is basically Jack 

Archived