Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Colts Starting QB

sb41champs

Okay - for this question - take in to account the mindset of GM Chris Ballard - and - do NOT take in to account "rumors" or "wishes".

WHO do you believe will be the Colts starting QB for the 2022 season?

1.  Carson Wentz 

2.  Veteran free agent

3.  Veteran achieved in a trade

4.  2022 draft pick

5.  Sam Ehlinger

17 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

Okay - for this question - take in to account the mindset of GM Chris Ballard - and - do NOT take in to account "rumors" or "wishes".

WHO do you believe will be the Colts starting QB for the 2022 season?

1.  Carson Wentz 

2.  Veteran free agent

3.  Veteran achieved in a trade

4.  2022 draft pick

5.  Sam Ehlinger

#1 we will keep CW and he will turn it around. I think he did some good things last season and can be a very good qb. i know he did some not very good also and i think it will be fixed.

ya'll have to remember we didn't have a very good OL most of the year and then those injuries and losing time because of covid. i think he turns it aroound

Isn't there like 6 threads concerning this already? Seriously....

My OPINION, since I'm here is that they are actively looking for an upgrade or potential upgrade that is why the continue to stay non-committal to him. If he was for sure going to be our QB next year they would endorse him so the questions stop and be working on the roster around him.

Since they have not.....he gone and who the heck knows how he is going to be replaced? My brain hurts from trying to mind merge with Ballard to figure it out!

17 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

My OPINION, since I'm here is that they are actively looking for an upgrade or potential upgrade that is why the continue to stay non-committal to him. If he was for sure going to be our QB next year they would endorse him so the questions stop and be working on the roster around him.

Since they have not.....he gone and who the heck knows how he is going to be replaced? My brain hurts from trying to mind merge with Ballard to figure it out!

I’m hoping we don’t set the franchise back by getting a guy that’s going to be here maybe 2-3 seasons. I don’t like trading picks as I can only speak for myself. We need the guy who will be here for 6-10 years. I’m with you on what the heck we’re going to do. We’ll find out and 2 weeks though lol 

Carson Wentz. Keep him, save the money, build the rest of the team and then if we need a new guy next year get one in the draft. We are not a QB away from the SB. There isn't really a logical long-term answer available without the draft capital to play with the big boys. And not sure there is a long-term answer available if we had the assets. We are in QB purgatory for the next year unless Wentz turns things around on the field.

4 hours ago, C_Lew said:

I really hope it’s #1. It really seems to be the only logical choice given our situation. 

Yeah i woke up today feeling the same way. With Wentz, we at least know that he can play some really good games. He just needs to focus on “making the layups”  like Ballard said. Hire a QB coach to help his progressions & release time. The RB’s & flats were open all game against Oakland, Tennessee, & Jacksonville.

Even if he is 10% better, we have a shot with an upgrade at WR, TE, & LT. It’s unlikely we blow 4 big leads again next year & open 1-4 with a brutal 5 game stretch.

23 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I really enjoy all these "who is going to be our QB in 22 threads" Many have some well thought out reasoning, others just make me shake my head and smile. In my humble opinion as long as FR is calling the plays we are a 8-9 win team. I was hoping for some innovative changes in our Offensive coaching staff, but I have not heard any news to that effect. It also seems that FR has no ability to develop a young QB or we would not keep using our draft picks for washed up Veterans my .... 2 cents

Regrettably - Wentz was "paid WAY too early" by the Eagles - and - now we have the QB conundrum to deal with.

Too much $$$ for an average QB.

A lack of quality QB's truly available this free agent season.

Ownership and the fan base want MORE than another "band aid QB" behind center this year.

Lack of quality QB depth in the 2022 draft.

Lack of a 2022 first rounder to include in a potential trade.

The fact that IF the Colts wanted to move off of Wentz after just 1 season - does anybody WANT him?

Other "behind the scenes" issues with Wentz that have soured the relationship with the front office.

So - taking all of this - plus - all of your excellent points into consideration - I think we are forced to stick with Wentz at least one more season unless management looks to add a QB who can stick around a few seasons.

13 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

#1 - Carson Wentz, for the final year of his contract.

Any remaining option to trade him or replace him isn't really better than simply keeping him for his final year.  We ride the wave, will reassess after 2022.

I totally thought they were  bringing him back but now way after that press conference. The biggest take away is when  Reich said he stuck his neck out for Carson. That was past tense and I think Reich was very disappointed. I think Philly was right and Carson had become  uncoachable

Didn't know where to post this... but for whatever it's worth, Trevor Sikkema and Connor Rogers from PFF said on their new podcast mock draft that the Colts like Kenny Pickett... (he wasn't on the board in their mock in the second round so they give us Sam Howell)

This is one of the few QB that actually make sense for us, if we want to go the draft QB route and at the same time try to not take a step back. Pickett is probably the most ready to play right away QB in this draft. 

6 hours ago, stitches said:

Didn't know where to post this... but for whatever it's worth, Trevor Sikkema and Connor Rogers from PFF said on their new podcast mock draft that the Colts like Kenny Pickett... (he wasn't on the board in their mock in the second round so they give us Sam Howell)

This is one of the few QB that actually make sense for us, if we want to go the draft QB route and at the same time try to not take a step back. Pickett is probably the most ready to play right away QB in this draft. 

His small hands seem to be an issue for teams

6 hours ago, TheNextGM said:

So many QB needing teams and we don’t have a first round pick. Why would anybody trade with Indy if they’re selling a top tier QB?

The answer is Wentz. 
Maybe they bring in a FA to compete.

This is what I’d like to see.

But it is not what I expect to see.  I think Wentz is done in Indy, because that’s what Jim Irsay wants.  I don’t think he often gets directly involved in personnel decisions.  But it seems he’s gotten directly involved in this one.  And it’s his team.

My guess is that we’ll be seeing a veteran acquired either through trade or FA.  And I think we’ll be back here next year discussing what to do at QB with a top 5 or 6 pick in the ‘23 draft.

Hope I’m wrong.

6 hours ago, stitches said:

What's the deal with the hand measurement?  Too small?   Will he drop in the draft due to this?   Better suited for an indoor team?     Or is it not really an issue?

7 hours ago, stitches said:

It would be folly to believe that we would have most any rookie QB and not take a step back at that position in the coming season.

Wentz obviously has his issues.  I don’t think he’s the guy to get us (or any other team) where we want to be.  But 27/7 (even if you disregard several passes he threw that should’ve been picked, but weren’t) isn’t an awful headline stat.  And I still believe that we’re not even having this discussion if either the LV or Jax games turn out differently.

He should get another year.  Yeah, it’ll be a lame duck year.  And that brings its own issues.  It’s not ideal, at all.  But I still think it’s the least bad option in front of us.

19 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

His small hands seem to be an issue for teams

Yep. I can't imagine it won't be. The only QB with hands this small to have had any success whatsoever was Michael Vick. 

11 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

What's the deal with the hand measurement?  Too small?   Will he drop in the draft due to this?   Better suited for an indoor team?     Or is it not really an issue?

Yep, very small. No idea if he will fall a ton... all it takes is one team to not really put too much weight on it and draft him. But it definitely can be seen on tape - he had 26 fumbles in college and looked to have problems with ball security(under center snap fumbled) and accuracy in the rain at the Senior Bowl. IMO it will be a problem in the league. The question is - how much of a problem and whether it will be big enough problem to make you not draft him. 

4 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

It would be folly to believe that we would have most any rookie QB and not take a step back at that position in the coming season.

Wentz obviously has his issues.  I don’t think he’s the guy to get us (or any other team) where we want to be.  But 27/7 (even if you disregard several passes he threw that should’ve been picked, but weren’t) isn’t an awful headline stat.  And I still believe that we’re not even having this discussion if either the LV or Jax games turn out differently.

He should get another year.  Yeah, it’ll be a lame duck year.  And that brings its own issues.  It’s not ideal, at all.  But I still think it’s the least bad option in front of us.

Think of him as a bit of a Mac Jones type... maybe poor man's Joe Burrow. He is very good at a lot of things but probably not exceptional at any one thing. The reason I say he might not be a step back is - he's actually somewhat NFL-ready, he seems to have good command of the offense. reads progressions well, makes checks pre-snap, and he actually has some athleticism. He's already doing a lot of the things that will allow him to run an NFL offense and for a coach to not tear his hair out. He can be a game manager in the mold of Mac Jones from day 1 IMO. Not sure he will be as good as Mac Jones at it, but I can definitely see him being a solid option for a team that doesn't overextend him ... at least not in the beginning. 

Interesting new development to the whole trading for a QB thing though.......now that Rodgers is re-signed for 5 years.......what about the QB that Ballard spent an awful lot of time scouting in Jordan Love. He now becomes to GB what Jimmy G became to the Patriots - expendable.

Perhaps that has been Ballards angle all along? I mean we traded our 1st round pick for Buckner.......but I mean he really acted like he liked him a lot!

Archived