Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nate Ollie - new d line coach

CurBeatElite

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It sure is taking a long time to hire our assistant coaches.

Yea, a lot of stuff going on in the world now.  Hard to know what to believe and what not to believe (eg, the 'Colts are a Deadman walking' rumor or stuff on that tweet Chain here suggesting we are not willing to pay  top $ for assistants specifically the dl coach, what's going on with Wentz, Reichis hard to work for, etc.).

I'll remain optimistic that we aren't a dead man walking and chalk it up to it being a slow off-season, and things going on in the world (recent covid spikes, world war 3 brewing, etc.) are causing minor things (getting my license renewed, finalizing a coaching staff, etc.) longer than normal.

16 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yea, a lot of stuff going on in the world now.  Hard to know what to believe and what not to believe (eg, the 'Colts are a Deadman walking' rumor or stuff on that tweet Chain here suggesting we are not willing to pay  top $ for assistants specifically the dl coach, what's going on with Wentz, Reichis hard to work for, etc.).

I'll remain optimistic that we aren't a dead man walking and chalk it up to it being a slow off-season, and things going on in the world (recent covid spikes, world war 3 brewing, etc.) are causing minor things (getting my license renewed, finalizing a coaching staff, etc.) longer than normal.

where did you see that reich is hard to work for? 

seems like he's great to work for considering all the coaches coming out of our staff which is creating this need to find new people. 

57 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I don't know much about him, other than he's been an assistant for 3 years and he should have familiarity with Gus' scheme/philosophy after working under Saleh for nyj

I think it's probably Saheh + Joe Douglas in terms of influence.

Just looking on the surface, doesn't look like homerun. 

I do like the Ball State and UT connections, but overall seems like a bit of a reach. 

Hope this one works out. Seems like a cool dude. 

16 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

where did you see that reich is hard to work for? 

seems like he's great to work for considering all the coaches coming out of our staff which is creating this need to find new people. 

I don't believe it, but if you look at the 'Apparently Colts are a dead man walking ' thread, it's in the first or 2nd post

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think it's probably Saheh + Joe Douglas in terms of influence.

Just looking on the surface, doesn't look like homerun. 

I do like the Ball State and UT connections, but overall seems like a bit of a reach. 

Hope this one works out. Seems like a cool dude. 

I remember one Gm saying that a successful  Dline coach needs to  b a real p....k.   It is a real physical position and u have to  drive the players hard.

9 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I don't believe it, but if you look at the 'Apparently Colts are a dead man walking ' thread, it's in the first or 2nd post

yeah some unfounded post doesn't do it for me.  no coach has publicly stated reich is hard to work for.  

also im assuming gus bradley will have a heavy hand as to what the DL is doing.  Not too concerned about this hire even though he isn't a big name.  Good to have someone who has yet to establish themself in a lower position.  

5 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I'm in the camp we just don't know enough. I can see a lot of factors at play. People in general (players or coaches) can get frustrated over various things. Things like the religious overtones for example. I was born/raised Catholic from a large family, and even have a Baptist minister and a Jehovah Witness elder  in my family lol, but some of those things can wear on others if it's truly a large fixture in the culture created by a HC. And Reich is an ordained minister. I'm sure there are a lot of positives that come out of that, but there could be some negs too.

Then you have to look at just simple things like player and/or assistant coach frustration with scheme or play calling (both sides). Players and and assistants rarely speak publicly about their frustrations, but that doesn't mean frustrations don't exist. And you have some smoke for example of Q having to ask his HC to run JT. I mean how much frustration has to build up in a guy, especially a G, for him to go and do that. Overall, we just really don't know. Reich is obviously a nice/good guy, but that doesn't mean his chosen culture (not talking just about religion) and way of doing things fits everyone. 

I don’t think any of us know if this is a good hire or not. Not enough on the resume to like or complain about.   It certainly can be argued it’s the most important hire by Bradley.  I wonder if they made a run at Henderson who re-upped with the Rams today. I’m guessing they were turned down by Henderson and shifted to Ollie. Henderson also had ties with Bradley I believe. The Colts struck out on multiple Dline coaches they had targeted. Hopefully, they found a good one. 

14 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I remember one Gm saying that a successful  Dline coach needs to  b a real p....k.   It is a real physical position and u have to  drive the players hard.

I'm a fan of hard nosed coaches on both the OL and DL. We got rid of the hard nosed OL coach. Not sure of Strausser's demeanor, but his resume (the "where") doesn't scream mean or nasty. Doesn't mean he's not though. Given the rumors that Strausser was kind of hired site unseen by Reich though, does create a few Qs. 

As far as Ollie is concerned, he was a captain at BSU. Now I know BSU isn't a P5, but being a captain and all-conf DL can't hurt. He seems to have some passion in the few vids I've seen. Not really a ball breaker, but doubt you'd see that in vids anyway.

1 minute ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I don’t think any of us know if this is a good hire or not. Not enough on the resume to like or complain about.   It certainly can be argued it’s the most important hire by Bradley.  I wonder if they made a run at Henderson who re-upped with the Rams today. I’m guessing they were turned down by Henderson and shifted to Ollie. Henderson also had ties with Bradley I believe. The Colts struck out on multiple Dline coaches they had targeted. Hopefully, they found a good one. 

To the bolded, my thoughts too.  I think it's fair to say the net was wider than we're aware of. 

Total wild card IMO, and we just don't know how it will turn out. It's fair to assume though he wasn't plan A or B. 

Seems like a good guy (see the vid I posted above), so hoping things work out. 

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

yeah some unfounded post doesn't do it for me.  no coach has publicly stated reich is hard to work for.  

also im assuming gus bradley will have a heavy hand as to what the DL is doing.  Not too concerned about this hire even though he isn't a big name.  Good to have someone who has yet to establish themself in a lower position.  

54 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm in the camp we just don't know enough. I can see a lot of factors at play. People in general (players or coaches) can get frustrated over various things. Things like the religious overtones for example. I was born/raised Catholic from a large family, and even have a Baptist minister and a Jehovah Witness elder  in my family lol, but some of those things can wear on others if it's truly a large fixture in the culture created by a HC. And Reich is an ordained minister. I'm sure there are a lot of positives that come out of that, but there could be some negs too.

Then you have to look at just simple things like player and/or assistant coach frustration with scheme or play calling (both sides). Players and and assistants rarely speak publicly about their frustrations, but that doesn't mean frustrations don't exist. And you have some smoke for example of Q having to ask his HC to run JT. I mean how much frustration has to build up in a guy, especially a G, for him to go and do that. Overall, we just really don't know. Reich is obviously a nice/good guy, but that doesn't mean his chosen culture (not talking just about religion) and way of doing things fits everyone. 

Replying to both... I initially wrote that "it's hard to know what to believe these days, eg rumors the Colts are a Deadman walking, we won't pay for top assistants, Reich is hard to work for 

.."

in response to someone saying it's taking an awful long time to hire assistant coaches.. I don't put much stock into rumors ,and closed that statement with I think our organization is fine and things are just taking a while these days.. 

Anyway, i can see your point on things being annoying and the religion thing is a good example. I have been sober for almost 2 months and today a buddy at work was hungover, he was doing fine but just made a comment about feeling cruddy.  I replied 'glad that's not me anymore, sucks to be you.' Kind of kidding, but he got upset about it and I said to myself 'I swore I wasn't gonna be that * who trumps himself for sobriety because that used to annoy me.'.. similarly, I could see a non-religious person getting annoyed by Reich... I could see a scenario where failed play calls get on someone's nerves.. etc... but tbh, I think that minor annoyance goes away if we're winning games, winning our division, and ultimately winning titles

27 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Replying to both... I initially wrote that "it's hard to know what to believe these days, eg rumors the Colts are a Deadman walking, we won't pay for top assistants, Reich is hard to work for 

.."

in response to someone saying it's taking an awful long time to hire assistant coaches.. I don't put much stock into rumors ,and closed that statement with I think our organization is fine and things are just taking a while these days.. 

Anyway, i can see your point on things being annoying and the religion thing is a good example. I have been sober for almost 2 months and today a buddy at work was hungover, he was doing fine but just made a comment about feeling cruddy.  I replied 'glad that's not me anymore, sucks to be you.' Kind of kidding, but he got upset about it and I said to myself 'I swore I wasn't gonna be that * who trumps himself for sobriety because that used to annoy me.'.. similarly, I could see a non-religious person getting annoyed by Reich... I could see a scenario where failed play calls get on someone's nerves.. etc... but tbh, I think that minor annoyance goes away if we're winning games, winning our division, and ultimately winning titles

Winning/success makes a lot of things bearable for sure. We'll never really know unless someone comes out tells-all lol. And that's just not likely to happen. I will say the whole repetitive climb the mountain thing this year did make my eyes roll at times. Overall, we've seen a lot of different personality types succeed. I'm sure a lot of folks get tired of BB's personality, but his track record likely keeps a lot of tongues subdued.  At the same time, anyone that comes out and voices displeasure, is generally labeled something, which might impact their current/future stock. 

To me it looks like a Gus hire and that is good for me. He seems like a high energy guy and hands on in pushing and teaching those young guys. IMO I think Gus will add to the DL support by adding additional assistants or a consultant. Freeney and Mathis had John Teerlinck (no passed on) and players trusted and learned from him. John had a long track record in developing great DL.

3 hours ago, AustexColt said:

To me it looks like a Gus hire and that is good for me. He seems like a high energy guy and hands on in pushing and teaching those young guys. IMO I think Gus will add to the DL support by adding additional assistants or a consultant. Freeney and Mathis had John Teerlinck (no passed on) and players trusted and learned from him. John had a long track record in developing great DL.

He's a degree separated from both Reich and Gus. IMO, it's a plan C or D for both. 

That doesn't mean it's good or bad. Just connections to both. 

8 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

.."

Congrats to being sober!  As far as your buddy getting upset, he can get over himself. Misery loves company and he was probably looking for sympathy for a self inflicted hangover from the guy who just quit drinking...super lame. You are not a * who trumps himself...be proud of your decision.  I still drink but haven’t been drunk in 2-3yrs bc get this...I don’t want to feel cruddy from a hangover, especially at work. Sorry for the rant but I get annoyed by those people who whine about their hangovers then get butt hurt when I hit them with a simple...don’t get drunk. 

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Congrats to being sober!  As far as your buddy getting upset, he can get over himself. Misery loves company and he was probably looking for sympathy for a self inflicted hangover from the guy who just quit drinking...super lame. You are not a * who trumps himself...be proud of your decision.  I still drink but haven’t been drunk in 2-3yrs bc get this...I don’t want to feel cruddy from a hangover, especially at work. Sorry for the rant but I get annoyed by those people who whine about their hangovers then get butt hurt when I hit them with a simple...don’t get drunk. 

Ha, thanks and there were several crappy things going on at work yesterday (including foul weather).. I think if it was a great day otherwise, my comment would have gone unnoticed or not perceived as rude.... I was trying to loosely make the analogy that I could see people who aren't religious getting annoyed at Reich for his religious overtones (as @EastStreet pointed out a potential for rumors about Reich being hard to work with), but if we were actually winning games enough to win our division and playoff games, that'd be a very minor thing to care about.. when things aren't going well, minor little details become more aggravating.  

16 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

So….  Two hours ago your first sentence in your post was that apparently the new coach is very laid back.  

Now you post a tweet where his old boss says he brings “tremendous energy”.   

This is what happens when you jump to conclusions. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So….  Two hours ago your first sentence in your post was that apparently the new coach is very laid back.  

Now you post a tweet where his old boss says he brings “tremendous energy”.   

This is what happens when you jump to conclusions. 

I just posted A tweet lol. The tweet isn’t my opinion. Kevin Bowen on the radio this morning mentioned him being laid back.

Just for perspective - I think giving expanded and new roles for guys like Cato June, Mike Mitchell and now Nate Ollie is genius on Gus Bradley's part.

Follow me here - I work for a corporation that does very little to no hiring for Management positions from the outside. While our business plan is sound and we continue to operate in the black year after year it is stagnant up in this b*tch. There is no new blood coming in and looking at problems or areas of improvement and offering fresh ideas. 

How this relates to these hirings is this, Gus has his system in place, but, the new hires can offer different perspectives that they may have picked up playing in other defensive schemes and/or coaching in other defensive schemes. These new and fresh eyes and ideas could be just the wrinkles needed to keep offenses honest when they think they are looking at a certain coverage and BOOM it's a totally different concept that Coach Gus has used in the past! After all, he has PLENTY of film on file for teams to watch. Cato learned on the fly in the NFL how to play LB versus his college position as a Safety.......Mike Mitchell transformed our defense the year he came aboard with his knowledge and leadership........and Nate Ollie, although relatively unknown has been with a few colleges (TN, EKU, Ball State) and NFL teams (Philly, NYJ) so at those stops I am sure he's picked up a few wrinkles plus he had a decent career playing with Johnathan Newsome at Ball State - whom we drafted back in the day while Ollie was an UDFA for the Browns.

Anyways, fresh, young minds seems to be the trend these days and perhaps the sum of the parts (as a coaching staff) will be better than the individual names - or lack thereof. 

3 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Just for perspective - I think giving expanded and new roles for guys like Cato June, Mike Mitchell and now Nate Ollie is genius on Gus Bradley's part.

Follow me here - I work for a corporation that does very little to no hiring for Management positions from the outside. While our business plan is sound and we continue to operate in the black year after year it is stagnant up in this b*tch. There is no new blood coming in and looking at problems or areas of improvement and offering fresh ideas. 

How this relates to these hirings is this, Gus has his system in place, but, the new hires can offer different perspectives that they may have picked up playing in other defensive schemes and/or playing in other defensive schemes. These new and fresh eyes and ideas could be just the wrinkles needed to keep offenses honest when they think they are looking at a certain coverage and BOOM it's a totally different concept that Coach Gus has used in the past! After all, he has PLENTY of film on file for teams to watch. Cat learned on the fly in the NFL how to play LB versus his college position as a Safety.......Mike Mitchell transformed our defense the year he came aboard with his knowledge and leadership........and Nate Ollie, although relatively unknown has been with a few colleges (TN, EKU, Ball State) and NFL teams (Philly, NYJ) so at those stops I am sure he's picked up a few wrinkles plus he had a decent career playing with Johnathan Newsome at Ball State - whom we drafted back in the day while Ollie was an UDFA for the Browns.

Anyways, fresh, young minds seems to be the trend these days and perhaps the sum of the parts (as a coaching staff) will be better that the individual names - or lack thereof. 

Now if only we could get this on the offensive side of the ball.

15 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Now if only we could get this on the offensive side of the ball.

I really think if Frank pulled a Walrus and gave up the play calling and simply concentrated on game management then I think our offense would explode! But, he has to either be told (by Ballard or Irsay) or he has to realize that one hampers the other oftentimes! 

21 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I just posted A tweet lol. The tweet isn’t my opinion. Kevin Bowen on the radio this morning mentioned him being laid back.

And of course, you made no mention of Kevin Bowen’s comment.   Your post said nothing about it.   And the tweet that you posted and you’re now down playing is only the opinion of the man who hired him and was his boss.  

Whatever…..   

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And of course, you made no mention of Kevin Bowen’s comment.   Your post said nothing about it.   And the tweet that you posted and you’re now down playing is only the opinion of the man who hired him and was his boss.  

Whatever…..   

Sorry  I missed putting that in. I didn’t do that on purpose. I just forgot to mention it. Just because I post a tweet doesn’t mean it’s my opinion. I will put I agree with it if I agree with it. I just posted that so we could see what others are saying about him. 

25 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I really think if Frank pulled a Walrus and gave up the play calling and simply concentrated on game management then I think our offense would explode! But, he has to either be told (by Ballard or Irsay) or he has to realize that one hampers the other oftentimes! 

I will disagree with that when the team was averaging 30 pts and was the number one scoring team through middle of the season.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I will disagree with that when the team was averaging 30 pts and was the number one scoring team through middle of the season.

That's fine, however, did you ever complain about clock management, misuse of time outs, going for it too often on 4th down, going for it to often on 4th and goal, or my personal favorite - just take the d*mn points that are there argument!??! 

Additionally, if he were a game manager he would notice the defense needs adjustments and would perhaps act like other successful head coaches and go have a talk with his DC about it......

Those are all things MOST people complain about that IF he gave up play calling duties he could focus more on. Ego and emotion play into a lot of those decisions concerning the offense and when the defense needs adjusted he's too focused on the next series (offensively) to speak with the DC.

Does not make him a bad coach at all, but even coaches need coached and they need to learn and adapt! 

My opinion of course and you clearly don't have to share it!

4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

That's fine, however, did you ever complain about clock management, misuse of time outs, going for it too often on 4th down, going for it to often on 4th and goal, or my personal favorite - just take the d*mn points that are there argument!??! 

Additionally, if he were a game manager he would notice the defense needs adjustments and would perhaps act like other successful head coaches and go have a talk with his DC about it......

Those are all things MOST people complain about that IF he gave up play calling duties he could focus more on. Ego and emotion play into a lot of those decisions concerning the offense and when the defense needs adjusted he's too focused on the next series (offensively) to speak with the DC.

Does not make him a bad coach at all, but even coaches need coached and they need to learn and adapt! 

My opinion of course and you clearly don't have to share it!

Every coach even great ones fans get mad about something. Look at what Harbaugh did twice this year that could of cost them playoffs. Or Staley’s 4th down calls. You only here complaints when they don’t work. Well they work just ad much. 

My biggest complaint is I just want someone to come in and help with some fresh eyes and new ideas. Too many yes men.

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Every coach even great ones fans get mad about something. Look at what Harbaugh did twice this year that could of cost them playoffs. Or Staley’s 4th down calls. You only here complaints when they don’t work. Well they work just ad much. 

My biggest complaint is I just want someone to come in and help with some fresh eyes and new ideas. Too many yes men.

I feel ya, I do.......and we have Marcus Brady on staff as our OC - which under FR is a glorified assistant coach.

Montreal Alouettes (2012)
Offensive coordinator

Toronto Argonauts (2013–2017)
Offensive coordinator

3× Grey Cup champion (2009, 2010, 2017) as a coach......championships, regardless of league is still an accomplishment!

He worked with Marc Trestman and learned offense, more specifically how to coach up QB's as well. Marc Trestman, if you care to look up his coaching history, has helped average QB's have career years under his guidance! I believe that Marcus Brady was hired to do the same but is being under-utilized! In the CFL they run a lot of "Air Raid" type offenses and a lot of those concepts can be used here in the NFL. He was successful as an OC for 6 years in the CFL and I firmly believe he can be here too - if the is allowed to do so!

15 hours ago, richard pallo said:

It sure is taking a long time to hire our assistant coaches.

I don't worry about it.  Despite the sky is falling crowd, a team that has positions to fill because it's previous assistants all took head coaching jobs or other promotions, is not looked on as a bad place or a negative culture to associate your career path with ...

23 hours ago, Superman said:

Not a thrilling hire, but maybe he's a young star in the making. Interesting that he has a past connection to Derek Barnett, who will be a FA this year.

So we're still waiting for a WR coach, right? And maybe a couple other assistant position coaches?

Derek Barnett came from Tennessee which I follow closely.  He is a high motor player with a lower skills ceiling that doesn’t produce on the stat sheet.  I wouldn’t be a fan of signing him for anything more than a low cost depth player but honestly Colts should look elsewhere 

Guys like Nate that may lack the physical traits/ability to make it to the NFL as a player, but are able to compete in college due to impeccable technique (a technician as he's been described) often make much better coaches than guys that are physically gifted. Hopefully that stands true with him as well.

Archived