Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cato June joins coaching staff

CurBeatElite

50 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Cool!

Mathis next? lol 

I understand that they have to want to do it, but I always thought Gary Brackett would make a great coach. That dude was super smart. 

I like the thought of Brackett too.  Especially since Stacked Pickle went under, and he had to declare bankruptcy.

But I guess the difference between Bracket and June is what they did after their careers.  June went into coaching; Brackett went into the restaurant business.

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Cool!

Mathis next? lol 

I understand that they have to want to do it, but I always thought Gary Brackett would make a great coach. That dude was super smart. 

On the radio this morning jake Querry asked Stephen Holder if he thought Mathis was ready to get back into coaching because of all his tweets lately. Seems he is trying to throw his hat back in the coaching ring.

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

On the radio this morning jake Querry asked Stephen Holder if he thought Mathis was ready to get back into coaching because of all his tweets lately. Seems he is trying to throw his hat back in the coaching ring.

I'd love to see Mathis come in as an assistant, but you have to get an experienced D-line coach first. That position will be crucial to this new D under Bradley. 

That's a cool add. Cato June had to learn the LB position in the NFL after playing safety in college. He's been a coach at other programs. Coming on as an assistant LB coach and working under a well established guy is a good move for him, and maybe it will lead to other opportunities in the future.

There are a few draft eligible players in the draft from Bowling Green and UMASS that Cato June would have some insight on I would assume. The best seems to be CB Devin Taylor who played at Illinois State, Virginia Tech and finished at BGU. 6'1" & 200 lbs fits the size mold Ballard looks for to include ball skills with 13 total interceptions and 43 pass breakups. 

18 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Former Colts LB Cato June joins coaching staff as assistant LB coach. He was LB coach at Bowling Green last year. 

I'll be darned.  I dig it.  Favorite Cato memory was him calling up a drunk Sorgi whom I was hanging out with at McGilverys to get a ride from champions? Or some sports bar out west after his g.f. got mad at him lol.....

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cato June makes my all-time Indianapolis team as an OLB. He was such a playmaker that created turnovers. Very underrated. 

In our new Cover 3 Coach Gus would probably had him play the Kam Chancellor role though, which is unique in itself! He was extremely effective in coverage but sometimes got ran thru in run defense - but, it was a good tradeoff in my opinion. 

Mike Peterson was still one of my favorites from that time period when Polian would draft them and then let them walk......Peterson, Thornton, Washington, June, etc., etc., etc.

49 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

In our new Cover 3 Coach Gus would probably had him play the Kam Chancellor role though, which is unique in itself! He was extremely effective in coverage but sometimes got ran thru in run defense - but, it was a good tradeoff in my opinion. 

Mike Peterson was still one of my favorites from that time period when Polian would draft them and then let them walk......Peterson, Thornton, Washington, June, etc., etc., etc.

Yeah I would play a 4-3 with June and Leonard on the outside and Brackett at MLB. Of course my 4 Lineman would be Freeney and Mathis on the Ends and Buckner and Goose in the middle. 

Archived