Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 NFL Draft..........

Myles

15 hours ago, gspdx said:

That's a nice bunch of picks the Eagles have.  They could move up if they want another QB or move down and pile up a few more picks.

They do have options.   I don't know their situation, but staying put and grabbing needs at 15, 16 and 19 could really bolster your team.

On 2/8/2022 at 2:47 PM, Myles said:

Obviously the Colts don't have a first round pick.

Some interesting things I see:

The Eagles have 15th, 16th and 19th picks in the draft.

The Jets have the 4th and 10th picks.  

The Giants have the 5th and 7th.

The Lions also have 2 picks in the first round. They have 3 of the first 34 picks. 

On 2/10/2022 at 10:37 PM, Patrick Miller said:

It sucks not having a 1st rounder.

The Rams don't pick until late in the 3rd and they have relatively few picks in the draft. That is the price of loading up now to win a championship.

On 2/9/2022 at 9:44 AM, Myles said:

They do have options.   I don't know their situation, but staying put and grabbing needs at 15, 16 and 19 could really bolster your team.

Yes, and no. If someone like Russell Wilson becomes available, would you do a Stafford like trade giving up 2 first rounders and a future 2nd or 3rd and a swap of Jalen Hurts to get him? I would think that would definitely make your team better.

However, some Eagles fans think Hurts can take them to the promised land while I doubt he even beats the Cowboys to win their division.

On 2/21/2022 at 9:35 AM, chad72 said:

Yes, and no. If someone like Russell Wilson becomes available, would you do a Stafford like trade giving up 2 first rounders and a future 2nd or 3rd and a swap of Jalen Hurts to get him? I would think that would definitely make your team better.

However, some Eagles fans think Hurts can take them to the promised land while I doubt he even beats the Cowboys to win their division.

Og, I agree that these picks give them many options.   It must be nice that your worst case scenario is that you pick at 15, 16 and 19.

On 2/9/2022 at 5:07 PM, ColtJax said:

This is a bad year for first round picks. I'll bet the 60% are busts. More valve in the 2nd and 3rd than the 1st.

If there was more value in the 2nd and 3rd than the 1st,  teams would be falling all over themselves trying to trade out of the first and get more value. 

Yet only a small handful of teams do it each year.    I’d say this claim is easily false.  

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If there was more value in the 2nd and 3rd than the 1st,  teams would be falling all over themselves trying to trade out of the first and get more value. 

Yet only a small handful of teams do it each year.    I’d say this claim is easily false.  

I'd say your second paragraph actually confirms the OP's original post, versus debunking it.

You need a taker for your trade that will accept your trade proposal, not just your willingness to make the trade. i.e. teams realize by holding onto their multiple 2-3d rounders they will get more value out of them versus a single 1st rounder. So while the team that wants to trade their 1st rounder has the desire, not many will want to take that trade.

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

I'd say your second paragraph actually confirms the OP's original post, versus debunking it.

You need a taker for your trade that will accept your trade proposal, not just your willingness to make the trade. i.e. teams realize by holding onto their multiple 2-3d rounders they will get more value out of them versus a single 1st rounder. So while the team that wants to trade their 1st rounder has the desire, not many will want to take that trade.

Well….  That would be the Chris Ballard viewpoint.   It’s way, way to expensive to trade up.   And yet people here trash Ballard for that view and point to all the other teams that do it.  

So which is it?   Ballard is right?   Or the other teams who trade up are right?   But it can’t be both, the positions are opposite.   

By the way….   Good argument.   Well stated.   Not sure I fully subscribe.  But I appreciate the perspective.    :thmup:

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well….  That would be the Chris Ballard viewpoint.   It’s way, way to expensive to trade up.   And yet people here trash Ballard for that view and point to all the other teams that do it.  

So which is it?   Ballard is right?   Or the other teams who trade up are right?   But it can’t be both, the positions are opposite.   

By the way….   Good argument.   Well stated.   Not sure I fully subscribe.  But I appreciate the perspective.    :thmup:

I think the biggest factor is the "need" of the team.  If they have holes all over, trading your first for multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks makes sense.  If you team is solid except for 1 or 2 spots, keep the 1st.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 9:27 PM, NewColtsFan said:

VALUE, you understand what that means, don't you?? VALUE, meaning the cost of the player as well as the round taken. 1st round picks cost a hell of a lot more, there's more VALUE in a deep draft with 2nd and 3rd round picks.

15 hours ago, ColtJax said:

VALUE, you understand what that means, don't you?? VALUE, meaning the cost of the player as well as the round taken. 1st round picks cost a hell of a lot more, there's more VALUE in a deep draft with 2nd and 3rd round picks.

The value comes with PERFORMANCE.   And while I love Day Two picks as much as anyone,  a higher percentage of First round picks hut than second or third.   And they deliver a higher level of performance.  

Fir every Leonard or Smith or Pittman or Taylor that hit big in the 2nd round, there are many more who bust, and the ones that do well, typically don’t do as well.  

If by cost, you mean salary, with the new CBA since, I think 2011, cost is typically not much of a factor. 

Archived