Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Colts at Miami Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

Ballard really crapped the bed on that one. 

I don't really know. Bears fans will tell you they couldn't wait to be rid of Leno, just like Chargers fans were ready to move on from Tevi. If Leno is doing 'well' now, his ceiling isn't what Fisher's could be. 

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

It’s wild though because Baltimore has suffered worse than the Colts in the injury front and they are still balling… Shows you how far the Colts are behind the elites.

Depends a lot on where the injuries occur. It has hit out QB , our best receiver, our OL which was a strength with little decent backups and our DBs which were a weak position to begin with.

52 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I don't really know. Bears fans will tell you they couldn't wait to be rid of Leno, just like Chargers fans were ready to move on from Tevi. If Leno is doing 'well' now, his ceiling isn't what Fisher's could be. 

His pff grade doesn’t suggest that Bears fans knew what they were seeing.  Fans here greatly undervalued AC until Nelson and Smith came along.

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

His pff grade doesn’t suggest that Bears fans knew what they were seeing.  Fans here greatly undervalued AC until Nelson and Smith came along.

Certainly. I don't think fans are the arbiters of good football at all. The context i'm layering on is one that says if he'd been brought to Indy and he struggled (which is very possible), you'd have seen some big time griping.

15 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

You can gather a lot from PFF statistics but their grades are useless.

What makes you say that?  When grading a play, the outcome of the play has little to do with it.  Graders try to look at each players’ contribution.  So for instance a LT could do his job well and give up a sack, and still grade high if for instance the QB holds to long or the RB on screen runs the wrong way into a tackle, etc. 

so while pff and anyone else’s grade is subjective, over a large sample size, it probably does a pretty good job of tiering players.  

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

What makes you say that?  When grading a play, the outcome of the play has little to do with it.  Graders try to look at each players’ contribution.  So for instance a LT could do his job well and give up a sack, and still grade high if for instance the QB holds to long or the RB on screen runs the wrong way into a tackle, etc. 

so while pff and anyone else’s grade is subjective, over a large sample size, it probably does a pretty good job of tiering players.  

I just think without knowing what the actual play was supposed to be or taking schemes into account there is just no way to give a accurate grade.  There is no way a statistic can know what the players assignment was supposed to be. Just look at some of the grades and its the grades just aren’t accurate. But like I said there is useful info with the stats I just think it’s almost impossible to grade them. Some positions might be easier to grade then others.

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I just think without knowing what the actual play was supposed to be or taking schemes into account there is just no way to give a accurate grade.  There is no way a statistic can know what the players assignment was supposed to be. Just look at some of the grades and its the grades just aren’t accurate. But like I said there is useful info with the stats I just think it’s almost impossible to grade them. Some positions might be easier to grade then others.

LT is probably one of the easier positions to grade, certainly on pass rush as they are almost always responsible for the outside rusher.

all football teams staffs grade other teams players and they don’t know the calls either, so that although relevant play to play, the play calls over large sample sizes for Lts are probably pretty accurate.  

receiving routes on the other hand are pretty hard to grade without the call and the assignment.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

LT is probably one of the easier positions to grade, certainly on pass rush as they are almost always responsible for the outside rusher.

all football teams staffs grade other teams players and they don’t know the calls either, so that although relevant play to play, the play calls over large sample sizes for Lts are probably pretty accurate.  

receiving routes on the other hand are pretty hard to grade without the call and the assignment.

I do think oline is probably one of the easier ones to grade. I thought QB would be too but I have seen some really weird grades on quarterbacks. Dline is probably easier too. But once you get into linebackers and safeties I just think there are just too many variables.

How about Julio Moss and Ryan Brady losing to the Jets haha . Jets are the worse team in football. I am loving this day. I was happy seeing Wentz have fun for a change, I noticed something yesterday, Wentz  was laughing and having a good time, so was Taylor. That is coaching IMO, Reich probably told the players too relax and just enjoy the game. JMO

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How about Julio Moss and Ryan Brady losing to the Jets haha . Jets are the worse team in football. I am loving this day. I was happy seeing Wentz have fun for a change, I noticed something yesterday, Wentz  was laughing and having a good time, so was Taylor. That is coaching IMO, Reich probably told the players too relax and just enjoy the game. JMO

Mighta had something to do with wining.  In my experience winning is fun while losing is not.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Also when we play SF, Jimmy will be out, we may win that one. Baltimore is going to be tough.

I would rather play a rookie also. Samual is the leading receiver in the league I think. He is going to be hard to deal with. I can’t wait to see Buck go back and play his old team.

Ravens haven’t been playing great. They seem due for a loss. Just hope we don’t get embarassed. All the prime time games this year have all been really good. Hopefully ours is too. Colts lead the league in turnover ratio. Ravens are -1 and Jackson has 7.

It is a long season and injuries will play the KEY difference as to who lands out making it to the playoffs. Who wins the playoffs also depends on which team can put together a healthy squad. I am hoping that the Colts had a headstart in getting all their players hurt, so come later half they can make it to the playoff and have a healthy squad. 

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Certainly. I don't think fans are the arbiters of good football at all. The context i'm layering on is one that says if he'd been brought to Indy and he struggled (which is very possible), you'd have seen some big time griping.

Amen!

23 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Who were they booing then?

What is he gonna say?  

I was responding to the part if Colts fans booed Jacoby and I don't think around here people cared one way or another he was just "there"

4 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I do think oline is probably one of the easier ones to grade. I thought QB would be too but I have seen some really weird grades on quarterbacks. Dline is probably easier too. But once you get into linebackers and safeties I just think there are just too many variables.

OL blocking (the grading of) can be tricky. Mostly on the interior for teams zone blocking, and especially against teams stunting. 

On 10/3/2021 at 2:01 PM, Colt Overseas said:

I taught seeing Lewis and Turay playing well was a huge positive. We really need these two guys to emerge this year.

To be honest, the biggest negative for me was Eric Fisher. I know he is just back, but it was that Phillips and Ogbah were beating him with speed, he was getting overpowered too. I'm very worried about the Left Tackle position frankly.

Frank Reich's play calling was much better. Hopefully we see more of Big Mo, Taylor/Hines on the field together, etc. 

We have to be honest with ourselves though, we beat a bad team today that found ways to help us. Two penalites for our first 2 TDs on 3rd downs, a dropped punt, and a fumble by Brissett close to the endzone, that we were going to FG only a terrible facemask call gave us a fresh set of downs... yeah we got alot of external help today.

But I'm happy to get that W.

Agree on Fisher, He was not good in pass pro at all. Just back I get it, but IMO trending backwards not upward!

Thoughts:

1. Feed Taylor, Hines, Mo, and Pittman.   Honorable mention to Pascal.

2. I am noticing the value of Dulin.  On ST AND as a wr.

3.our punter and kicker are solid.

4.we’re gonna get killed on the back end by average or better QBs.

5. I’m sold on Wentz being more than enuff, we just gotta get him another half or full second back there. 
6.Stick with the run, Frank.

7.If its the 1st quarter.... take the points, Frank.

8.We seem to have lost a little of the physical and mental dominance we showed at OL and DL.

9.just like cowbell, wecant have too much QB pressure.  I’d like to see more from 4 man front.

10.did i mention i’m worried at CB?  
11. Hines had 2 runs and 2 catches and it still seemed like he made an impact.

This week could be telling about where this team really is.

I think most of the issues canbe improved on, but we have some really good talent sitting on the sidelines .  Makes it much harder.

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This guy has been making some good podcast. He compares the stats the dolphins put up against the colts to what they put up against the raiders to prove it wasn’t all the dolphins bad offense. The colts did play good defense.

meh... lol

They had one decent game vs LVR...

They are still the 2nd worst overall O in the league, 3rd worst passing, 5th worst rushing....

Don't fall into the same hype trap folks did last year about the D (vs poor teams). We still let JB eat us up early short until they made some adjustments after the 3rd or 4th series, and still gave up chunk plays in the 2H. All our LBs and DBs should have graded in the 80s lol vs this O.

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

meh... lol

They had one decent game vs LVR...

They are still the 2nd worst overall O in the league, 3rd worst passing, 5th worst rushing....

Don't fall into the same hype trap folks did last year about the D (vs poor teams). We still let JB eat us up early short until they made some adjustments after the 3rd or 4th series, and still gave up chunk plays in the 2H. All our LBs and DBs should have graded in the 80s lol vs this O.

I think comparing it is a good way to evaluate. It’s not perfect because the nfl has so much parody and changes week to week. But there is probably some truth to it.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

I think comparing it is a good way to evaluate. It’s not perfect because the nfl has so much parody and changes week to week. But there is probably some truth to it.

Then you should probably also compare it to their previous game when Miami lost 35-0

26 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It’s ok to say it was a combination of the colts playing good defense and a bad Miami offense. I don’t think it was one or the other. Probably a little bit of both.

Heed the wise words of Chuck D and Flavor Flav.....

15 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Listening to the colts podcast and the stats they are sharing about ravens defense are kind of shocking. They don’t seem to be tackling well. They are really bad at allowing yards after the initial contact on runs and passing.

Teams have been able to move the ball on them all year. Even Bridgewater was doing well before leaving the game with a concussion. Ravens could easily be 1-3 if it wasn’t for Chiefs choked fumble and delay of game that didn’t get called vs the Lions.

Archived