Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts unofficial depth chart

CR91

2 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

No surprises given what we have seen reported during training camp. I like it! :rock:

Mike Strachen being so high so quickly is getting me excited. You don't see 7th rounders that high in the depth chart.

12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Mike Strachen being so high so quickly is getting me excited. You don't see 7th rounders that high in the depth chart.

Props to Ballard, Dodds, & the scouting team for catching this guy at the WVU pro day. I remember they all said he was the star of that day, and it seems to be translating early on. Great use of a 7th rounder.

1 hour ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Absolutely. Let’s just hope that he can translate the training camp performance to the real games, but why should he not. :cheer2:

I am hoping he just stays healthy going through preseason, knowing our past luck

57 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

If it’s released by the Colts on their website, why is it “unofficial“?

No real surprises, but I thought Deon Jackson would have shown better.  He was decent in college.  Good size too.  

It is always considered unofficial, I believe it is just to cover their case in case they make a change later or dont start guys a certain way even though they are the 1 on Depth Chart, just a technical reason I would believe

39 minutes ago, Myles said:

The RB's is done oddly.  

Taylor and Wilkins are firsts

Mack and LeMay are seconds

Hines and Jackson are thirds

What it does show me is that we are stacked at RB.

No. It's just a lot of RBs so they overlap

Things I love to see:

- Michael Strachan on his way to HOF :goodluck:

- Kwity Paye has taken the RDE spot by the horns and he's not letting go. He's ahead of Turay at the position. Love to see it from your R1 EDGE.

- Zach Pascal has taken over. I've been following the reports from camp and it seems like he's been the most consistent playmaker from our receiving corps. Awesome to see it from him. 

- Tyquan seems to be decidedly ahead of AQM. This is good to see from an ex-2nd round pick. 

Things I hate to see:

- Sam Tevi unable to beat what we already had as a 3d string tackle last season in Will Holden. Disappointing. 

- Parris Campbell... above I mentioned Pascal being the most consistent receiver in camp apparently. Well Campbell mentions have been few and far between and he seemingly has lost his starting spot. Hate to see it. 

- Rock Ya-Sin unable to beat TJ Carrie for outside CB starting spot, even with Carrie missing a week of camp and returning from COVID. 

Other notables:

- Jordan Wilkins RB1 along with Taylor? Hines no. 3 behind Benny Lemay? Probably weird designation due to roles, but still ... weird. 

- Eric Fisher LT3? I put this as notable because Wentz, Leonard and Nelson are still designated as no. 1 in their positions even though they are injured, but Fisher isn't. No idea if this means anything ... maybe it's just that those are vets on the team with previous standing and Fisher isn't... maybe it's something about Fisher not being expected to return as quickly as the others? No idea, but noteable. 

- Zaire Franklin SAM1

- Marvell Tell is at most CB6. I expected more of him. 

- Blankenship keeping Pineiro at bay... for now. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Things I love to see:

- Kwity Paye has taken the RDE spot by the horns and he's not letting go. He's ahead of Turay at the position. Love to see it from your R1 EDGE.

- Zach Pascal has taken over. I've been following the reports from camp and it seems like he's been the most consistent playmaker from our receiving corps. Awesome to see it from him. 

Things I hate to see:

- Sam Tevi unable to beat what we already had as a 3d string tackle last season in Will Holden. Disappointing. 

- Parris Campbell... above I mentioned Pascal being the most consistent receiver in camp apparently. Well Campbell mentions have been few and far between and he seemingly has lost his starting spot. Hate to see it. 

- Rock Ya-Sin unable to beat TJ Carrie for outside CB starting spot, even with Carrie missing a week of camp and returning from COVID. 

- Tyquan seems to be decidedly ahead of AQM. This is good to see from an ex-2nd round pick. 

Other notables:

- Jordan Wilkins RB1 along with Taylor? Hines no. 3 behind Benny Lemay? Probably weird designation due to roles, but still ... weird. 

- Eric Fisher LT3? I put this as notable because Wentz, Leonard and Nelson are still designated as no. 1 in their positions even though they are injured, but Fisher isn't. No idea if this means anything ... maybe it's just that those are vets on the team with previous standing and Fisher isn't... maybe it's something about Fisher not being expected to return as quickly as the others? No idea, but noteable. 

- Zaire Franklin SAM1

I will you help you on a few things. First, we will start with Other notables section. 

Wilkins, is consider number 4, it is due to the way the format is structured, you read left to right, then go down, before starting over left to right, For example, RB1 And RB 4 are the same column. It is just the formatting issue, I think we saw this like 2 years ago when they changed from listing all numbers.

Fisher is listed as LT3 due to being on PUP list same thing as Dayo as they are not officially able to practice but are "Active" another technical thing due to format.

And that covers on Formatting reasons.

My own comments, 

I always liked Holden this offseason, and when he played last year looked good, until he got hurt, I wanted to see him start without Fisher.

Blankenship, I expect he will be Kicker unless he crashes just due to cost and younger.

Disappointing in Tell, but hopefully gets back going.

Flus said with Leonard back, Speed will get some time at SAM too so who knows if Zaire will be #1 still.

With WRs I wouldnt think too much on it, as the two other than TY are also our top blocking ones, which makes sense they are both 1st. PC should have a lot of time in slot.

4 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I will you help you on a few things. First, we will start with Other notables section. 

Wilkins, is consider number 4, it is due to the way the format is structured, you read left to right, then go down, before starting over left to right, For example, RB1 And RB 4 are the same column. It is just the formatting issue, I think we saw this like 2 years ago when they changed from listing all numbers.

Fisher is listed as LT3 due to being on PUP list same thing as Dayo as they are not officially able to practice but are "Active" another technical thing due to format.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks. 

Just now, stitches said:

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks. 

No Problem,  I was already going to comment on my thoughts on your thoughts, and saw that other people had the same confusion on the depth chart set up. I believe week 1 last year, the Depth Chart Read

Mack             Taylor         Hines

Wilkins

Basically same set up just let total names

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I would think they would be listed more like this:

First:

Taylor, Mack

Second:

Hines, Wilkins

Third:

Jackson, LeMay

It is. You need to read it from left to right. So it's Taylor, Mack, Hines, Wilkins, Lemay, Jackson

30 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Glasgow deep and could be in trouble, Demichael harris deeper than I thought he may be. Stallworth behind both Woods and Brown.....

Glasgow has been dealing with a back injury, but his special teams contributions make him a near-lock.

2 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Glasgow has been dealing with a back injury, but his special teams contributions make him a near-lock.

Glascow's calling card is special teams though we have a few other special team ace's who also play linebacker so could be a real fight and if he isnt healthy....well

8 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I thought about that (L to R, then down), but if that's so, why are the 4ths at other positions still listed in the 3rd column, instead of under the 1st.

However they are doing it, it's really confusing, and it doesn't have to be lol.

11 hours ago, Smonroe said:

If it’s released by the Colts on their website, why is it “unofficial“?

No real surprises, but I thought Deon Jackson would have shown better.  He was decent in college.  Good size too.  

Pretty much the Colts way of saying it’s pre-season don’t hold us to this if we don’t follow it.

Interesting things (good and bad)

• Wentz and Nelson still #1, but Fisher buried. Wonder if that has to do with their opinion on the quickness of their return.
  • LT - I think several on the board expected Holden to supplant Tevi
  • TE - Even though they now list 2 TE slots, Doyle is still the first. Not sure that means a lot though.
  • Strachan - looks like we might finally have a late round WR that pays off. 
  • Slot - Not putting a lot into Pascal being listed before Campbell. I think we have a clear top 4, and Pascal being a bully slot type, and PC a more traditional slot, only makes sense at this point.
  • RB - Hines being listed 3rd (or 5th) is a bit surprising. I thought he'd be listed in the 2 slot. Wish they had a separate APB slot. Thought Deon Johnson might be listed a little higher, but still last. 
  • DE
    • I think we all expect Turay to get a decent amount passing down snaps. I wonder if his placement means Paye might be an early downs guys, and Turay a late downs guy.
    • A little surprised Rochell isn't higher. I think he brings better tweener value than AQM. Thought he might be slotted at 3T too.
    • Banogu still 3rd regardless of DE slot.
  • CB
    • I would have expected RYS to be behind Carrie, not Rhodes. Strange the way they line guys up.
    • Glad to see Rodgers on the two deep.
    • Wonder if it's time to move Tell back to S.
    • Odum moved to SS. IIRC, he's been listed as FS depth in the past.
    • Chachere listed in both the NB and FS stacks.
  • ST
    • Marlon Mack as #3 KR? A little surprised Hines wasn't listed.
    • Really would like to see Rodgers get a shot at both return jobs.

Confusing things...

• The way the RBs are listed. Even if it is L to R then down, they don't follow that logic with other positions.
  • I mention it every year. I hate the way they list WRs. I was told last year by one of our writers (that's no longer here), that they don't list WRs in X, Z, or slot stacks. The seem to do that though with slot, but not with X or Z. Is Strachan really TY's backup at Z. Is Dulin really Pittman's backup at X... 
  • I'm happy they finally started listing 2 TEs. IIRC, they only listed one TE slot in years past. Wonder if that means we'll see more 2 TE sets.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I thought about that (L to R, then down), but if that's so, why are the 4ths at other positions still listed in the 3rd column, instead of under the 1st.

However they are doing it, it's really confusing, and it doesn't have to be lol.

If you look at it this way. When the position is 3 deep you will need to use each column twice. For the other where its only 4 total its not a big concern where you paste the final guy. Anything more and its easier to do it row 1 then row 2 l-r. 4 or less not necessary. They could make it consistent but wheres the fun in that :D

37 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Interesting things (good and bad)

• Wentz and Nelson still #1, but Fisher buried. Wonder if that has to do with their opinion on the quickness of their return.
  • LT - I think several on the board expected Holden to supplant Tevi
  • TE - Even though they now list 2 TE slots, Doyle is still the first. Not sure that means a lot though.
  • Strachan - looks like we might finally have a late round WR that pays off. 
  • Slot - Not putting a lot into Pascal being listed before Campbell. I think we have a clear top 4, and Pascal being a bully slot type, and PC a more traditional slot, only makes sense at this point.
  • RB - Hines being listed 3rd (or 5th) is a bit surprising. I thought he'd be listed in the 2 slot. Wish they had a separate APB slot. Thought Deon Johnson might be listed a little higher, but still last. 
  • DE
    • I think we all expect Turay to get a decent amount passing down snaps. I wonder if his placement means Paye might be an early downs guys, and Turay a late downs guy.
    • A little surprised Rochell isn't higher. I think he brings better tweener value than AQM. Thought he might be slotted at 3T too.
    • Banogu still 3rd regardless of DE slot.
  • CB
    • I would have expected RYS to be behind Carrie, not Rhodes. Strange the way they line guys up.
    • Glad to see Rodgers on the two deep.
    • Wonder if it's time to move Tell back to S.
    • Odum moved to SS. IIRC, he's been listed as FS depth in the past.
    • Chachere listed in both the NB and FS stacks.
  • ST
    • Marlon Mack as #3 KR? A little surprised Hines wasn't listed.
    • Really would like to see Rodgers get a shot at both return jobs.

Confusing things...

• The way the RBs are listed. Even if it is L to R then down, they don't follow that logic with other positions.
  • I mention it every year. I hate the way they list WRs. I was told last year by one of our writers (that's no longer here), that they don't list WRs in X, Z, or slot stacks. The seem to do that though with slot, but not with X or Z. Is Strachan really TY's backup at Z. Is Dulin really Pittman's backup at X... 
  • I'm happy they finally started listing 2 TEs. IIRC, they only listed one TE slot in years past. Wonder if that means we'll see more 2 TE sets.

Pup/active players are posted as last on depth chart same thing with dayo. Basically it's to say, yes they are on the active roster, no they aren't actually eligible to practice 

And regarding Mack I saw a couple days they were going to have him on KR like he was his rookie year

TE, I thought last year at least they listed them separate for who would start in 2 TE sets. 

Also see prior comment for reason of RB being the weird one and what truly just appears to be someone being lazy when uploading the roster haha

5 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

If you look at it this way. When the position is 3 deep you will need to use each column twice. For the other where its only 4 total its not a big concern where you paste the final guy. Anything more and its easier to do it row 1 then row 2 l-r. 4 or less not necessary. They could make it consistent but wheres the fun in that :D

IMO, it would far less confusing it they would just keep 3rd and lower in the 3rd column. 

I like this view better.

https://www.colts.com/news/unofficial-depth-chart-carolina-panthers-training-camp-joint-practice-grand-park

A bit clearer.

17 hours ago, stitches said:

Things I love to see:

Things I hate to see:

Other notables:

- Zaire Franklin SAM1

I think the labeled the RBs differently cause of spacing. I took it as JT1 MM2 NH3 then back 123 written under.

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IMO, it would far less confusing it they would just keep 3rd and lower in the 3rd column. 

I like this view better.

https://www.colts.com/news/unofficial-depth-chart-carolina-panthers-training-camp-joint-practice-grand-park

A bit clearer.

I agree it would make more sense, but I am guessing there also may be a reason why they are doing it that way from a software side thing, at least compared to the article you ref there

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

New one is out.

https://www.colts.com/news/unofficial-depth-chart-sam-ehlinger-jacob-eason-preseason-minnesota-vikings

I'm a bit surprised Dulin is in front of Patmon. 

Not me. Remember, they have to think about 46 on game day.  Do you want your 5th or 6th WR active or your ST ace?   Pretty easy decision.  

The WR room is deep but one of those guys still has to be a better ST player than Dulin to make the roster.  

38 minutes ago, Myles said:

New one is out.

https://www.colts.com/news/unofficial-depth-chart-sam-ehlinger-jacob-eason-preseason-minnesota-vikings

I'm a bit surprised Dulin is in front of Patmon. 

Perhaps its the Colts' way of allowing a guy who is injured but expected back soon (Dulin) to keep his status until he's beaten on the field. Which I believe Patmon would do easily, if all that was required was the better receiver winning the job. But of course, STs plays a key role here. Watch the next game to see who is playing on the kicking teams..... it should provide a glimpse into the mindset of the coaches. 

Archived