Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Will Fries OT

danlhart87

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I was listening to a podcast and they were mentioning they couldn’t believe this guy didn’t go until the 7th rd. They said he had like a 4th round grade on him. 

6th round grade from NFL.com

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/will-fries/32004652-4935-7860-44ad-9ec492a0e5fc

I think he could end up being decent depth at G, but not overhyped by him at all. 

7 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I was listening to a podcast and they were mentioning they couldn’t believe this guy didn’t go until the 7th rd. They said he had like a 4th round grade on him. 

Fries was one of the last players taken in the entire draft.   So I’d say whoever had a 4th round grade for Fries was far more off than they’d like to admit.  

But...   in some story in the last two weeks, I saw a reference that the Colts see some Joe Haeg in Fries.   That’s a nice compliment.  If you can find a nice Jack of all Trades player late in the 7th round then that’s all good. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fries was one of the last players taken in the entire draft.   So I’d say whoever had a 4th round grade for Fries was far more off than they’d like to admit.  

But...   in some story in the last two weeks, I saw a reference that the Colts see some Joe Haeg in Fries.   That’s a nice compliment.  If you can find a nice Jack of all Trades player late in the 7th round then that’s all good. 

Wasn't there an undrafted center that turned out pretty good many moons back?  Strange things can happen.   However, I'm not holden my breathe!

I do think this was a great pick.   Not that he will be a great starter, but when you can get decent depth on the O-line in the 7th round, it was a good pick.  He played LT, RT, LG and RG at Penn State.   He's got good size.   He could develope into the go to backup at a couple positions.

One of his draft assessments. 

If you're a team looking to add some solid offensive line depth in the middle or late rounds of the draft, Will Fries is a no-brainer. He doesn't do anything at an elite level, but you know what you're getting with him on the field. He can hold things down at tackle in a pinch, but his better position in the NFL is likely at guard. With the league expanding to a 17-game season in 2021, a player who is always available like Fries could have a lot of value.

50 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

OL is one of those positions where you could find quality FA's as well as high draft picks. I'll bet 1/2 if not more of the starting OL in the NFL are 6th round or lower picks or FA's..

lol on that one.
 I don't see his length and 306lbs being a good thing for a G.
Haeg, at the same size got bullied wherever they put him. He couldn't knock anyone of the line in the run game nor hold up to a good bull rush.
Hope for the best.

7 hours ago, ColtJax said:

OL is one of those positions where you could find quality FA's as well as high draft picks. I'll bet 1/2 if not more of the starting OL in the NFL are 6th round or lower picks or FA's..

Yep the Colts line from the Manning days only invested a high pick in Glenn and Meadows.  Everyone else was a fourth round or lower pick with DeMulling being a seventh round pick and Saturday of course being undrafted.  Diem, Scott, Johnson, and Lilja were all mid to late round picks or in Lilja’s case undrafted and a cast off from another team.  I guess you could also say they invested high picks in Pollack and Ugoh but they would be the proof that just because someone is a high pick doesn’t mean they will work out.  

39 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yep the Colts line from the Manning days only invested a high pick in Glenn and Meadows.  Everyone else was a fourth round or lower pick with DeMulling being a seventh round pick and Saturday of course being undrafted.  Diem, Scott, Johnson, and Lilja were all mid to late round picks or in Lilja’s case undrafted and a cast off from another team.  I guess you could also say they invested high picks in Pollack and Ugoh but they would be the proof that just because someone is a high pick doesn’t mean they will work out.  

Fun facts, Glenn went to College as a defensive tackle, and due to his holdout, played guard in his rookie year.  He was one hell of a left tackle!

18 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

Wasn't there an undrafted center that turned out pretty good many moons back?  Strange things can happen.   However, I'm not holden my breathe!

Probably the greatest undrafted OL was Larry Little and in those days there were 17 rounds to the draft. Less teams but still almost double the number of players drafted. Another great one was Jason Peters . He was un drafted in 2006 but played college as an oversized TE. 

Archived